PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 August 2019

FujiVice

4-0 against Chelsea isnt something that happens every week. Not only a brilliant second half performance, after a nervy start, but a fantastic result. More of this please?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Very happy!

Need to improve in areas, but no complaints. AWB is awesome. Happy for young Dan James.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Our midfield lacks a lot of control. That first half would see us lose a lot of games. As I said, some other real positives. Happy with the win and couldn’t be happier for James.

davidmichael

If Maguire plays like that all season then £80 million won’t be mentioned much like Van Dijk’s fee isn’t mentioned anymore, he was absolutely class and should be our permanent captain in my opinion.

Rashford looks like he’s ready to kick on whilst Martial looks hungry, I love the way those two interchange their position. Pogba showed he can create something from nothing and that could be the difference between 1 point or 3 points from a match. It’s nice to be completely positive after a match and beating one of our top 4 rivals so convincingly puts down a marker for the season.

Betson

Great start. Rashford and Martial off the mark
That is the big take away for me , we know how strikers thrive on confidence and we need these lads to hit the ground running , Rashfords second goal was very cool and clinical , hope we see much more of that.

mjstokes85

Maguire looked solid and composed, Wan-Bissaka looked dangerous going forward and excellent at recovering. So pleased James scored, proper buzzing with that goal! Pogba was his usual brilliant one minute, sloppy the next. Got away with the first half but took control at 2-0. Looks to be a good chemistry about this group. One thing SAF always did was buy the best British talent, Ole seems to have this idea too, team packed with British players today.

Nick7

Fortunately we have options to rotate in Pereira’s spot and tactically should be able to pick the best player there for each game. Not every single players needs to be a lock in first XI.
Agreed. But are the rotation options that much better? That worries me.

Hopefully Gomes will take that position eventually.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Didn't expect that, especially after the first half. Great result. Still need an improvement in midfield, both Scott and Andreas looked poor today.
Periera looked average, I agree, but Mctominay had a great game. Especially the second half.

stepic

We looked far more comfortable on the break. We still left a lot to be desired creating our own chances in the first half.

Lots of positives though. Pogba, Maguire, AWB, Lindelof, McT second half, goals from the strikers. Loved James’ celebration.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Great win and good start. Ole still got work to do, midfield need more composure. Just hope Rushford and Pogba can keep it simple.

el3mel

Absolutely magnificent start of the season !! Couldn't have asked for me result wise. Huge boost of confidence for me

Can't comment on performance till I watch the match again though, for now let's celebrate!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
All the new signings looks quality.
AWB is very solid as expected.
Maguire is really impressive in his debut. Really dominant at the back throughout the game.
Pogba has a poor first half but amazing 2nd half, he changed the game with 2 brilliant assists, those type of things only he can do it.

lawliet354

It feels really good to finally have a back four that can pass the ball really well. I am totally used to our defender wilting under pressure and just hoof the ball aimlessly it feels surreal seeing all 4 of them comfortable with the ball

Shark

@NotShark
Well, that was unexpected and probably undeserved. We've no midfield, city and the muck will be cricket scores :nervous:
It certainly wasn’t undeserved. We took our chances, they didn’t. That’s football. We’ll settle, hopefully we learn from Chelsea’s chances.

Fluctuation0161

Happy with the debuts. Maguire - love his attitude and confidence. Same with Wan Bissaka. James scoring is positive, gives him confidence to be his best over the season.

But Chelsea without Hazard are poor. So I wouldn't read too much into it. Our midfield is still weak.

If our young midfielders magically step up and we dont get too many significant injuries then we have a chance for top 4.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
My only worry today is Pogba. He had 2 assists, which is great, but it seemed like almost every time he got the ball he lost it. He was off the pace today when under pressure. Curious to see what his stats are because he must have given the ball away at least 10 times...

MrBest

Maguire has been with the club a week, feels like he was there the whole time, just brilliant!so happy for James, nice finish. I did not think we played great but we hit them hard in the counter with some great finishing. Only negative, a whole week until the next game. Buzzing that the season has starred.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Having a solid defence makes so much difference. We were able to weather the storm because of it. That gave us a platform to use the pace in forward areas to counter punch Chelsea like Money Mayweather.

Our midfield didn't have to take care of the ball, which is where it falls down, cos it had the safety of Maguire winning everything. It could just look up and hit runners over and over.

Dare I say it felt like 2012-13 again: no midfield but no matter.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I actually thought Chelsea played well despite the score but equally all our new signings had a very good game. Daniel James is gonna draw a few yellows with his pace.

bijitaq

Supports
S. L. Benfica
Great start. Amazing result. A bit of luck also but the defense looks more solid already. Lets hope you guys can build from here.

tjb

Its obvious whats going to happen here, and it will only get better against easier teams as we have a rock solid defence to rely on. The key issue in the first half was Andreas Pereira, and I saw the same issue against AC Milan in Preaseason. The pressing is not as effective when he is playing, and his positioning and sense of direction is quite poor.
When we do sign an attacking midfielder (lingard should play in that role this season), it should be someone who is more of an attacker than a midfielder. It helps our press and link up play.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Utter shite. Can only manage 4 goals against a team that have a transfer ban and lost their only decent player in the summer? Useless. Back in my day this never would have happened. We walked 50 miles to Old Trafford, not like these car driving millennials nowadays, and we drank real drinks like urine instead of these fancy alcopops laced with ket that I assume the children drink when they go to their dive bars filled with Xbox arcade devices and processed sugar biscuits. Sack Ole and bring back Charlie Chaplin, I say.
Blrlrlrlrlr, indeed!

Revan

Assumptionman
Maguire didn't allow anything go past him, and with him, Lindelof and AWB in the defense, we were able to keep the ball regardless of the pressing Chelsea did.

Rashford played well, Martial a bit less so, but still got the goal. Pogba disappointing in moments, but still got two assists, one of which was amazing.

Pereira and Lingard are the weakest points in our team. I hope we give a try to Gomes instead of Pereira and James/Greenwood instead of Lingard.

The team is a work in progress and we played very chaotically at times, but it is a talented team which can become really good. I am more excited than in any season since SAF left.

cantonaldo

Who would've thought we would thump Chelsea 4-0 for our first game. Anyway, I thought we were poor in the first half and rode our luck then. Chelsea had a better pressing game but since they did not score it's only a matter of time before their energy sapped and provide us with opportunities.

Big plus for me is that we steadied the ship and the boys showed a lot of togetherness after they had scored. Hopefully this will translate to better teamwork in the future.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Lovely. Just what we needed to lift the gloom. There were areas where we could improve, but after the miserable transfer window I'm just going to enjoy the result and performance.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 901 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Chelsea
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea