PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 August 2019

Treble

The last 30 minutes were great. Counter attacking style suits the players. The forwards and Pogba were excellent. We didn't do well in possession and exposed the defence to constant attacks before the 2nd goal though.

May sound strange but I was impressed with Chelsea. They were excellent in the first 60 minutes. With Rudiger and Kante back and more luck up front they will compete for top 4. Wish them luck vs Liverpool, hopefully they won't suffer another hammering.

Canagel

Scoreline is very flattering. Shocking first half with midfield nowhere to be seen. Luckily our pace in the attack did the job 2nd half.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Hell yeah!

Good vibrations! Similar to Jan-Feb 2019.

This defense is going to be a staple, right? Bissaka-Maguire-Lindelof-Shaw. Finally the main problem of 18-19 has been adressed.

McTominay will become a solid-reliable MF, Carrick/Fletcher style. Wait and see. That kid James has heart and shows promise. Pereira is bench material, though.

If Martial and Rashford keep scoring top2-3 should be a certainty.

Only City and Liverpool look better than us, tbh, and that's because of Pep and Klopp.

nameischarles

Great second half. Maguire definitely man of the match, he made us look stable and calm, AWB just a tremendous defender. Pogba played great. We still got some work to do but signs of improvement.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Agreed. But are the rotation options that much better? That worries me.

Hopefully Gomes will take that position eventually.
I think we all knew we needed another quality midfielder and even the 4-0 doesn’t change that. But honestly it’s not something that should stop us getting into the top 4. Obviously, if and when we are ready to compete with City and Pool, with their level, we will need an upgrade there.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Maguire class, wan bissaka a wall. Not sure how it was 4-0, but I will bloody take it. Think Martial is starting to look like a real No 9.

Shiva87

Great result, couldn’t have asked for a better start than that.

What a difference a goal makes. Hope that is the beginning of many goals for Martial and Rashford.

Was really impressed with our comfort in possession at the back, and Martial’S hold up play was better than anything Lukaku gave us in 2 years!

baskinginthesun

Martial and Rashford off the mark. Good press. Hammered a rival. Maguire and AWB look top notch. Excellent match.

We scored goals right when the match went into a bit of a lull. It was a great way to pull us out of the lull and completely over run Chelsea in the end.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think that was very much what you can expect from United this season.

You're going to be much stronger at the back this year and as a unit you were generally fantastic defensively. Yes there were little holes at times (Generally due to midfield shielding rather than your back 4) but the composure that Maguire and Lindelof have complements perfectly. Lindelof is a bit more classier and Maguire is no nonsense, works well. AWB looks class, didn't see much of Palace last year but his defending is stupidly good.

The first half showed where you're lacking - midfield. I think you're going to struggle to beat teams like City and Liverpool - your defence should help in helping you achieve a draw but I think when you're up against a better team they'll be able to exploit you a bit more but when you're on top against a side that midfield and attack has the potential to blitz people which we know sucks out the confidence of teams.

Chelsea weren't terrible by any means, there were plenty of occasions where they could have made it a different game but that 5 minute period where you went for the jugular completely devoid them of getting any result and I reckon that's how you're going to be very much in contention for top 4 going forward.

The defence giving you more composure/clean sheets and the ability to blitz teams despite them matching you/beating you in certain departments.

Inter Yer Nan

Excellent win and a lot of positives. The new signings were superb, De Gea was good, Pogba immense after a slow start, goals for Rashford and Martial.

Lindelof was quality too. I think that partnership has some serious potential. As in best central defensive pairing in the league potential.

DevilRed

Im still so hesitant to get too happy. We've seen these runs of form before, only to be let down later in the season.

However, this time it does feel different. Alot of the lads on the pitch grew up eating and breathing Manchester United. Even our new signings look like they fit in perfectly and have changed the solidity of the team.

They never stopped running. They never stopped trying. They never stopped fighting for the ball. We just got better and better as the match went on. It was a thing of beauty.

Wan Bissaka could have played in defence by himself today and chelski probably wouldnt have scored :lol: If this lad can keep it up, I mean he was just keeping everything out! Maguire is also already such a big influence on the team. He is so composed and calm, wins every duel on the ground or in the air. Its probably as close to Vidic/Ferdinand as you will get.

Our pace on the counter attack is terrifying. It seems to have gotten even better now that we have Dan James on board! We are just lightning quick and if we are being VERY picky, Rashford and Martial probably could have had more if they had sorted out their decision making/feet in some of their chances.

A lot of people giving Perreira shit in the match thread, but he was working his bollocks off and running around pressing everything. His set piece delivery and crossing is the best on this team. How long has it been since we put in such a perfect cross from the right wing? He needs to get into those positions more often to feed Rashford and Martial.

Pogba gave the ball away a bit today, but he went from strength to strength and basically ran the midfield in the second half. That ball to Rashford was world class and not something many players in the world can do.

The next match will be even tougher than this one. If we somehow manage to beat wolves away, then it will be a good indicator that we can realistically challenge for the top four.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not good first half.. will take a win at wolves to prove me wrong about how strong we are/are not. but clearly much better second half. winning is made easier when you have decent defenders

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This is what is happening in this thread.

We beat Chelsea FOUR nil. We absolutely batter them. Our new signing scores. Our young home grown striker scores. We keep a top four rival to a clean sheet.

“First half was lucky”
“We’ll be punished in other games”

feck me! Enjoy it! We just beat Chelsea 4-0! I’m going to get a massive pizza and then go the pub. If you are thinking ANYTHING negative after that just leave football behind.

RedDevilRoshi

Poor 1st half but very good 2nd half. Really happy with the new signings’ contributions.

No doubt, a few things to work on though of course but you can’t complain after a 4-0 win unless you really are a boring, old miserable sod!

Excellent result to begin the season with.

My MOTM was Wan-Bissaka closely followed by Maguire. Both were tremendous!

space

Excellent performance. Not the best first half but unbelievable in the second. Ole got his tactics spot on. Only worry I have is when we concede first we have the mental strength to come back. Happy for James. Maguire and AWB were excellent. Still not convinced on our midfield but I am calm now about our attack. Well done to the boys

Abhinav

Fantastic win!! Loved the fact that Ole has got the team really motivated and fired up. Defence was class with Maguire stealing the show.

There are some obvious deficiencies in the side but thats for another day.

Absolutely buzzing.

Icemav

De Gea is back on form

Pogba is amazing

Maguire, what a signing

Mctominay a proper United player

Rashford being clinical. Big season coming up.

And great to see everyone stepping up.

Ibrahimorich

Great result and will boost confidence but definitely got outplayed at home for large parts of that game. The 2nd goal on the break knocked the stuffing out of them and we kinda cruised home from there.

Positives: Maguire and AWB. James scoring.

Negatives: Selection was poor so was the midfield setup. Pereira and Lingard did very little and should've been subbed off earlier. Pogba needs to be playing further forward. We worked this out last season. Not sure why we're shackling him back again.

stepic

My only worry today is Pogba. He had 2 assists, which is great, but it seemed like almost every time he got the ball he lost it. He was off the pace today when under pressure. Curious to see what his stats are because he must have given the ball away at least 10 times...
:houllier:

cyberman

Shows how vital a good defence is. Too many times in the past we would have given away a silly goal that changes the dynamics of the game we were playing well in.
Also TalkSport aren't taking this well. No side who loses 4-0 deserves a draw and goals coming im quick succession. Doesn't mean they matter less.
Ill just switch it off now.

Denis79

Our defence looks Top class! Just that makes me so happy! AWB my MOTM, the lad played like an experienced PL veteran. Maguire was excellent as well. So glad we started so well and against our rivals on top of that!

But... Our midfield looks disjointed, we were absolutely brilliant on the counter just like last season but when we're trying to break an organized defence ( first half ) we were really without imagiantion and flair. Hopefully we get that going, it's just the first match of the season, it worries me a bit though to be honest.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
This is what is happening in this thread.

We beat Chelsea FOUR nil. We absolutely batter them. Our new signing scores. Our young home grown striker scores. We keep a top four rival to a clean sheet.

“First half was lucky”
“We’ll be punished in other games”

feck me! Enjoy it! We just beat Chelsea 4-0! I’m going to get a massive pizza and then go the pub. If you are thinking ANYTHING negative after that just leave football behind.
Bollocks. 99% of posters are being overwhelmingly positive.

Handré1990

I thought McTominay was one of our best. A real pest to play against. Maguire and AWB already showing what they’re about. Martial was good, think he can play with all types. Pogba important.

PeteManic

Great result. Great 6 pointer against a Top 4 rival. Need to keep that energy and intent against Wolves.

Adnandos

Most importantly to me is that all 3 of our signings looked fecking immense

Its still very very very early but if we can finally start recruiting players that help us become a better team, we might be onto something

L1nk

Settled down massively in the second half, the first half was poor though and the midfield was missing completely which invited alot of pressure onto our back 4, after we settled though the defense looked vastly more solid once the midfield actually made somewhat of an appearence and I think the back 4 worked well together, Maguire and AWB helping to glue it all together and I thought Maguire worked well with Lindelof.

McTominay looked good but I just don't think Pereira is the answer for a third midfielder, don't think the overall quality is there i'm afraid.

kps88

Reminded me a lot of our good run last season. Gave away a few chances but very clinical with ours.

RedIan

First half an hour Chelsea totally dominated and could have been 2-0 up. The wood work kept us in. We grew into the game the penalty restoring confidence. 2nd half rampant, goals brought some amazing confidence. New signings all looked really good. I gave motm to HarryM just over AWB. Love James very exciting kid.

Reiver

Midfield was just the same as last season: often overran and outnumbered but with some quality moments every now and then.
Attack was similar too but Martial put in a lot more effort. Glad to see both him and Rashford get on the scoresheet.
The big difference was in the defence. We didn't start with either Smalling or Jones. Maguire is a real presence we finally have a RB worthy of the name.
Pogba was nowhere near as bad in the first half as some claim. There's a worrying trend which started last season, where he gets continually fouled and refs just ignore it.
DDG looks back to his normal self.
Well done James.
Obvious areas for improvement but what a start!

Born2Lose

Great result and the two pronged bonus of silencing the spineless moaners on here and having to watch Mourinho squirm on Sky.

koop

Would be scary to think if we had a solid CDM. Very good today. Lingard was very good aswell but don't see him getting many mentions.

Maguire and AWB were absolute class, couldn't be happier with our defense. De Gea with a few key saves aswell.

I never seen Martial run that much before. But what topped it off was seeing SAF smiling and laughing.

Goku23

All the new signings looks quality.
Maguire is really impressive in his debut. Really solid/dominant at the back throughout the game.
Pogba has a poor first half but amazing 2nd half, he changed the game with 2 brilliant assists, those type of things only he can do it.
my sentiments exactly just got to hope they all stay fit Pogba and the new signings all awesome especially second half I was worried a saw AWB held his hamstring near the end ? Hope not!

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeysMagic

Fantastic result (to do wonders for our confidence) and some shoots of understanding between the front 3 (lingard exclud). But still far too open through midfield, and not sure we have any other solutions on bench. Pogba is not a defensive midfielder so requires his partner (Mctominay) to do far too much to cover.

Really need to work on our passing, that comes from repetitive drills in training and our coaches really need to work the squad hard in this department.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Hilarious how bad we were in the first half. All the problems of last year magnified by Chelsea passing it around like they're actually a good side. So passive, no pace, no intensity, no pressing, Pogba dallying and losing the ball so close to our own box, Chelsea should've been 2-0 up not 1-0 down.

Second half started the same but we suddenly became lethal on the counter and then once the game was dead we passed it around for fun.

Can only hope we improve but at the very least we got a clean sheet and Maguire looked imperious, won everything and Lindelof looked good alongside him which is a real plus. AWB was very good too but he's still quite rash and his positioning needs work.

No fecking clue how we won 4-0 but Martial and Rashford both scoring is massive and I'm so pleased for Dan James.

Just worried that we're gonna get bossed all season and only get results through clinical counters. At some point that stops being an effective tool if we can't keep hold of the ball and our defence is constantly under seige. Mid-table teams and even relegation fodder won't be afraid of attacking us, especially away from home so lets hope Maguire has a VVD effect on the whole defence as we're gonna need it with having zero midfield. It was unbelievable how much space Chelsea managed to find so imagine a better team doing that?

4-0 win though, I'll take that every week. Especially after the way last season ended.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 901 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Chelsea
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea