PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 August 2019

madzo2007

Couldn't ask for a better start, can't get too carried away as we still have a midfield you could drive a bus or two through but 4-0 and a clean sheet.

Maguire and Wan Bissaka were excellent and so happy James got a debut goal after everything he's been through this summer.

Hercules

James getting Kante booked was one of the moments of the match for me, apart from the goals obviously. He will be a menace for most of the defences. Also, Wall-bissaka is my favorite United player.

Fully Fledged

First half we soaked up the pressure and scored a pen. Great second half we held our shape and played on the break with lightening speed and quality.

The 3 new signings all stepped up and had outstanding performances.

Couldn't be happier.

The big challenge will be playing against a team that parks the bus. Looking forward to the season off the back of today.

Bring on Wolves.

nainaisson

Martial goal ended the game as a contest and it shouldn't go unnoticed that he's now wearing the number that Mark Henry was wearing last year. Roll on the Wolves game, owe them big time for last season.
That game is the real test of where we are at the moment. Kind of dreading it, to be honest.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I thoroughly enjoyed that.

You really do wonder what we could have achieved this season if we’d have brought a midfielder or two in.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
First half we soaked up the pressure and scored a pen. Great second half we held our shape and played on the break with lightening speed and quality.

The 3 new signings all stepped up and had outstanding performances.

Couldn't be happier.

The big challenge will be playing against a team that parks the bus. Looking forward to the season off the back of today.

Bring on Wolves.
Will be interesting to see if James is used in those situations as his pace and running at people gets defenders backing off.

Alabaster Codify7

Fantastic stuff, no complaints really. Well, we gave away a few pretty sloppy chances in the first half but seemed to grown into the game defensively.

AWB - who said he was terrible going forward?! He looks extremely fine going forward and we all know how solid he is defensively. Will be a fan favourite here, great signing.

Maguire - I didn't think he was amazing but he was good, I expect he'll just keep on improving as well - first game with the team.

Midfield options are not great, workmanlike but lacking in top quality. Pogba grew into the game bigtime though.

Loved the speed and intensity of Rashford, Martial and (shock) Lingard was also good. Seeing how much that goal meant to Dan James was brilliant, awesome to see a young player so intense. He's going to be a nightmare for defences this season.

Rashford and Martial caused them headaches but both dither a lot on the ball, need to improve their decision making and they'd be absolutely lethal!

4-0 against any Chelsea team is a brilliant result. Job very well done! Onto the next one!

UnitedChampionsAgain

Terrific result, hard to complain about a 4 - 0 but the amount of times we were cut open. Wow! They found it so easy to create chances and had loads of shots on target while we toiled to create anything. I thought we were going to be much more solid at the back but they were lining up shots for fun. Most of our attacks were like last season, sloppy passing, giving away possession easily and very few shots. The few chances we had were converted but I feel Maguire and DeGea will require superman performances week after week if we are to get anywhere. Loads of room for improvement but a decent opening 3 pointer.

future2future

Loved James' passion after the his goal. Great to se the team hit the ground running, only worrying thing is Pereira. Who could we play in his position for a more dominating midfield? Ideally a midfield addition in January, but until then we need a little more presence

fps

How is Spurs the real test and Chelsea isn't? They finished ahead of us last season!
This isn't the Chelsea that finished ahead last season. Look at the lineup.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Great win but not getting carried away, Chelsea looked dangerous first half but faded away as the game went on. Some great counter attacking play from us, and we have some serious speed up front. Other teams will pose different problems. But happy with our performance today, great game from the lads.

WillianOut

Supports
Chelsea
Speaking completely objectively, I did not think you looked good at all today and there were some aspects that do not bode well for your season. You struggled to play out the back when our press was functioning well for the first 60. I also saw a few clips from your pre-season which told the same story and when I look at your line-up, it's obvious why. You have AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, and Pogba who are all press-resistant, but not much else. As soon as we got tired, demoralised from going 2 down, then of course you were going to play through quickly to the forwards in behind as one of your qualities are that you have a lot of pace in behind. But when you are going to have to break a team down, like you will have to with Wolves next week, I see you struggling. A huge over-reliance on Pogba is obvious, he had to drop deep to help you play out, had to dribble out for you, and had to be the creative influence in the attacking third. Very reminiscent of Hazard for us over the years. You also didn't press amazingly I thought, seemed like we found it quite easy to move between the lines after playing out but we kept fumbling it at the end. Good luck for the rest of the season but I wouldn't get carried away.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Loved James' passion after the his goal. Great to se the team hit the ground running, only worrying thing is Pereira. Who could we play in his position for a more dominating midfield? Ideally a midfield addition in January, but until then we need a little more presence
I’d play Fred there until we can invest in a new signing.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I hate to sound like a buzz killer, because I'm buzzing with the result, but I think we can all agree 4-0 flattered us. Very poor first half, but very good second. We improved in possession as the game went on and from the second goal onwards we looked absolutely lethal on the counter. I'm not convinced by Andreas in the centre of the park, he looked sloppy on the ball and didn't offer much besides the cross for Martial's goal. Very happy with AWB, Maguire and James. The latter especially, what a moment for him. Martial wasn't great, Rashford improved massively in the second half, I thought Lingard played pretty well throughout. McTominay had some great recoveries of possession. Overall a decent performance and a fantastic result. Not getting carried away, as there are still big weaknesses in our team, and our midfield depth is a worry. Great first steps though. No Young, Jones, Smalling and Matic was a sight for sore eyes. Maybe I'm being harsh on Smalling as he's not as bad as the other 3, but I do hope Tuanzebe is the 3rd choice CB now.

sport2793

Yup, I can see us getting tonked as early as next week.
Ya Wolves away will be a much tougher test but I think there were a fair amount of early season nerves against a team who played as if they had nothing to lose at the start. Weird mistakes in possession that weren't common in preseason. Think another week of training the team and the confidence from the result will prepare the team for Monday.

Kelly15

Was very excited to see 5 academy players in the side. One of the reason I started following United. Love the counter attacking football. Fast past and punishing. And the pressing style we have adopted is very nice to see. And doesn't this just feel like a United side. Fantastic opening day. James goal and his excitement was just brilliant. Such a amazing moment. Was totally just buzzing for him.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
I hate to sound like a buzz killer, because I'm buzzing with the result, but I think we can all agree 4-0 flattered us. Very poor first half, but very good second. We improved in possession as the game went on and from the second goal onwards we looked absolutely lethal on the counter. I'm not convinced by Andreas in the centre of the park, he looked sloppy on the ball and didn't offer much besides the cross for Martial's goal. Very happy with AWB, Maguire and James. The latter especially, what a moment for him. Martial wasn't great, Rashford improved massively in the second half, I thought Lingard played pretty well throughout. McTominay had some great recoveries of possession. Overall a decent performance and a fantastic result. Not getting carried away, as there are still big weaknesses in our team, and our midfield depth is a worry. Great first steps though. No Young, Jones, Smalling and Matic was a sight for sore eyes. Maybe I'm being harsh on Smalling as he's not as bad as the other 3, but I do hope Tuanzebe is the 3rd choice CB now.
We will have much tougher opposition during the season no doubt and injuries will hit us more than most as our squad depth is very thin especially in midfield. BUt great start to what will be a very tough season.

C'est Moi Cantona

We punished a really poor Chelsea side there, as much as we laid bare our weaknesses as well, I just hope this gives us some momentum now.

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
Need to learn how to keep possession, though Chelsea were just as guilty. Also need to stop the short clearances for keeper to defence, who then play tippy tappy football across the 18 yd line. One misplaced pass, could be a costly error. Other than that, very happy overall.

roseguy64

Room for improvement but I'm not one of the coaching staff so not my problem. Will just enjoy this feeling of joy and hope it lasts throughout the season.

wolvored

First time im happy to lose a tenner. Had Utd at 2-0. When have we ever beaten Chelsea 4-0? We look a bit lightweight in midfield, but lets hope the confidence soars now. The defence is the first time its played together, so can only get better. Lets hope the No 9 shirt is a game changer for Martial. Run more in this game than I've ever seen him run.

Keefy18

DE-FCUKIN-LIGHTED!!!

Shut a few of these moaning fecks up on here for a while at least!!

OldSchoolManc

This result is being completely underestimated.
As I write, it’s 7.1 overall. How often have we beaten Chelsea 4-0?
I fully accept that Chelsea deserved a goal and we were lucky not to concede, but WE took our chances and were up for the fight.
New starters were awesome, and they were 3 from 11 players.
Established players were solid and Rashford was consistent. Enjoy!

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 901 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Chelsea
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea