PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 August 2019

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Another thing i like about all our signings is that they're all very likeable. Was just listening to Maguire post match interview and i never really listened to him before, but he comes across as a really smart, and affable guy. Obviously Dan James is great and i love the guy and AWB's attitude is terrific. Can't overestimate how important that is as a fan to have players who you really like and root for beyond the fact that they play for your team.

Great guys, the three of them.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Don't know if I was seeing things but was it McTominay after the 3rd say in the huddle, ''We keep on going!''. I love that.

Konimey

No Matic, no Young, no Mata, no Lukaku, none of the chuckle brothers in the starting line up, topping it off with 4 goals from our fronts two and a debut goal for James. This is the positive step us United fans were all begging for. The only glaring negative was the mid, feaking Glazers and Woody doing the club, us fans and Ole dirty. Hope that in January United sign a mid, because we are one injury away from free falling down the table.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
Hey, last game I was at was the shocking home defeat to Cardiff to bookend the horror show that was last season.

Next to that, this was night and day. It was actually fun being at the match. Who'da thunk it?!

Wolff

I learned something today. Never read the match thread on game day! What a bunch of miserables. A nervy start, but so many good things to focus and build on. What a bunch negative so called supporters. This is me shaking my head!

AndyMUFC

Terrific result to start the season, first half wasn't the best but we looked very threatening on the counter in the second and loved the goals Martial, Rashford and James scored from open play.

AWB and Maguire were terrific signings too, weren't they?

Fully Fledged

Some of the stuff I am reading here is amazing. Outplayed and lucky, yeah right.
Yeah but Chelsea are a poor side that will be lucky to survive in the EPL. I mean If we can't spank Chelsea 4-0 what chance to we stand against the likes of Sheffield United?

tomaldinho1

Excellent result and our pressing does look great.

My only concern was and remains our midfield and ball circulation when in possession. Our midfield today wasn't good at all in recycling possession or controlling the tempo. Hopefully it improves.
This. It's hard to pinpoint but it's the openess with which our midfield builds attacks just seems very carefree/not coached - we are great on the counter but we don't really create much from general play when the opposition has time to setup. It is the first game and there were so many positives that hopefully it's just general rustiness and also that Chelsea are a good team, despite their lineup. Wolves will be a real test as they are physically much more aggressive and it'll be a great yardstick for Ole to see how this team copes with that. Can't wait!

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
I know right, we really have to win 30 games straight in the league. After that, I wish we could have a rationale discussion with the other "fans".
Nah, only 37, and with minimum 3-0 at FT,while having at least 15 corners, 21 shots, and about 95,2% ball posesion, 736+ passes, all succesfull of course, and then we can discuss with them.
Maybe..

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Lots of room for improvement but you just can't be negative winning 4-0 against Chelsea :lol: I thought the biggest positives were our new guys, especially Maguire. Our midfield is still very worrying though, the likes of Lingard and Perreira should be nowhere near our first team.
I thought Lingard had some moments of productivity, solid game over all, but Perreira was a waste of space out there.

kirk buttercup

5 Academy players played today. Whilst it wasnt perfect and chelsea had a couple of good chances, that was really enjoyable. Well done to the Lads and Ole

Josh 76

Utd crying out for a player like Pedro. Just so comfortable on the ball and always looked a threat when he had the ball. Great pressing too. (First half especially)

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Always good to beat Chelsea especially to beat them by 4.
AWB looks the part.
Maguire looked good.
But Chelsea were poor.
Nice to see James score.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
7 players that were involved in that famous 4-0 loss to Everton were not involved today. Ole will be successful and there are some that will not be part of the success. Ole has made it very clear who he trusts moving forward this season

Tiber

I seriously doubt that we have the third most talented side in the league nevermind the first, but momentum is so important.

We had a decent preseason (unlike last year) and then picked up a big win today that will give the players a confidence boost. Next week we have a tough trip to Wolves. If we can go to Wolves and get a win, then beat Palace and Southampton? We will really start to pick up some momentum and change the narrative around the club

Zed 101

The defense looks set, AWB first 30 was a beast, the midfield and attack has so much potential but is so inexperienced and fragile, the victory today was just what the team needed to give them a bit of time and confidence, if they can push on they could be amazing, I just worry that they are still very fragile, one or two bad performances away from a crash.

That said amazing in all areas at times, not yet convinced that Pereira has what it takes or that there is enough toughness in the engine room of the midfield to get us through a season intact, McT maybe needs to stay back a bit more and put himself about, if he can develop into the role as, well the sky is the limit

Jacko21

Highlight for me was hearing the woman who normally calls out car registrations over the tannoy being drafted in as our VAR announcer.

I’ve always thought she was destined for bigger things.

PaulScholes99

Is there any possibility to watch the game in full relive for free? When the game is going i am too nervous too look on the tactical aspect but i'd like to rewatch it now.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

Don't know if I was seeing things but was it McTominay after the 3rd say in the huddle, ''We keep on going!''. I love that.
Yep I noticed it and the huddles were interesting. I’m guessing management told them to do it and before no time most sides will.

I learned something today. Never read the match thread on game day! What a bunch of miserables. A nervy start, but so many good things to focus and build on. What a bunch negative so called supporters. This is me shaking my head!
I caught myself going to check the boards and decided not to. Is way more enjoyable to stay with the game and afterwards read some

Couldn't watch the game but the names on the score sheet, Pogz' contribution and our signings' performances [going by the caf] fill me with joy and optimism :drool:

Best result of the weekend
Periera also pulled off a great assist to get us our second goal that was huge because it had seemed Chelsea was going to put one level.

I thought Lingard had some moments of productivity, solid game over all, but Perreira was a waste of space out there.
Besides the assist I feel the same. Still feel like he’s afraid and under microscope as opposed to letting loose. I also think his role isn’t really defined. Really hope he can learn a lot from Pogba this year.

George The Best

I seriously doubt that we have the third most talented side in the league nevermind the first, but momentum is so important.

We had a decent preseason (unlike last year) and then picked up a big win today that will give the players a confidence boost. Next week we have a tough trip to Wolves. If we can go to Wolves and get a win, then beat Palace and Southampton? We will really start to pick up some momentum and change the narrative around the club
I’d take a draw against Wolves anytime. Our midfield just isn’t up to it, on today’s evidence, especially away from home. Pereira and Lingard just don’t cut the mustard.

Dante

Average bang
Is there any possibility to watch the game in full relive for free? When the game is going i am too nervous too look on the tactical aspect but i'd like to rewatch it now.
There's a pinned thread at the top of the Manchester United forum which contains links to full match downloads.

I personally rewatch every match in full at least once, precisely for the reason you state. But with 8 days till the next game, I think I'll probably give 2 or 3 views.

You see so much more on a second or third watch. Be careful, though. You might end up seeing that Lingard is better than you originally thought. I get more alerts for talking about Lingard being decent than for anything else. It's a Pandora's box you may not want to open.

For what it's worth, Lingard assisted the assister for the first 3 goals.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The last time before today we won at home with a clean sheet in the Premier League, Michael Carrick started.

ThinkTank@Cafe

First half. We looked completely overwhelmed by enthusiastic Chelsea. At least one of the two shots from Abraham or Emerson should have been a goal. The first instance (Abraham) is defensive unit's fault; they lost their respective zones after the free kick. This can be explained by the fact that half of our back four just arrived to the club. It's not a good enough excuse for me though.

The second Chelsea's chance came from our right winger's (don't know who was on the right flank at the time, NOT Pereira definitely - he was on the left) failure to track back and close down Emerson. Emerson had a very good game in attack because nobody took care of him. Ole has to fix that. Interchanging flanks creates lack of reliable support for our fullbacks on flanks. When Rashford played on the left, his performance in defense was very solid. Once the flank players started to change positions they lost shape.

Chelsea paid dearly for their eagerness to impress and inability to convert chances (Lampard's inexperience). Rashford punished them on counter attack.

Second half. Our front 4 deserves a lot of praise, especially Rashford (pressing, tracking back (3 tackles), getting in the box (2 goals), his mileage must be outstanding. Martial, Lingard, and Pereira also did a great job in pressing.

Central midfield pair. Interestingly, McT was pressing from the middle, Pogba - on the cover. Another interesting moment - Pogba and McT switching positions and roles. OGS managed to put a lot of coaching into this team. Pogba was a box to box playmaker (roaming playmaker?) and played superbly. McT played a bit less aggressive than in pre-season.

I can't recognize Martial. He is pressing like mad; a model team worker now. He played furthest positions up the pitch without the ball, when in possession, he drops deeper and intelligently involves himself into build up. Congratulations, looks like we might found our false 9/technical central striker this season. And a very good one!

Pereira wasn't as bad as the Caf makes out him to be. His final delivery is top notch. The rest of his play is very inconsistent. I am starting to think that Ole is going to fix that. Lingard looks like a man now with a lot more responsibility in his attitude.

United's Deadly Weapon - Pogba-Rashford. Pogba long pass ability + Rashford on the flank (SPACE!) + First Touch + Composure + Finishing = Goal. Even LFC and City will think twice before pressing us really high. Mark my words. For more technical details go to Pogba and Rashford's threads. Those two are created for each other.

Ole on team's tactics during post-match presser: "It has risks and it has rewards. Today we've got a reward". it's an ultimate answer to all complaints about the formation. To get back to the top, we have to consistently and convincingly beat weaker teams. We CAN'T waste a man in CM. With 3 CMs we will be toothless. We have to take risks, it's our identity.

Steerpike

There was so much good about today's performance, but we shouldn't get carried away. For 60 minutes, this was an even game, but we showed resilience and a degree of ruthlessness to achieve a very good result indeed.

Some of the positives:

- Harry Maguire put in a fine performance, especially considering he hadn't previously played for the team, and thoroughly deserved to be man of the match.

- Aaron Wan Bissaka had a good solid debut.

- Paul Pogba gave a committed performance, and looked like he was happy to be here.

- Anthony Martial scored the sort of opportunist goal we need from someone wearing the no. 9 shirt, and hopefully this will encourage him to get into those sort of scoring positions more regularly.

- Scott McTominay put in a solid and responsible performance, and looks more than ready to do a job for us in the centre of midfield.

- Jesse Lingard was anonymous to start, but impressive once he had been moved into a central position.

- Marcus Rashford looked a constant threat, and it was good to see him getting a couple of goals in the first game.

Who knows, perhaps this season will be fun after all.

0le

Pleased with the win. Good to get a clean sheet, although we rode our luck at times. Hopefully we can get a result against Wolves.

Dante

Average bang
One of the big stories of the first half was Chelsea being gifted chances by Rashfod and Pogba failing to track their man.

If we're going to be successful this season, Ole is going to need to find a fix for that quickly. I'd personlly like to see if James on the left to help Shaw and Rashford on the right ahead of AWB could be a solution.

Al Capone

I watched the game live at OT and only just got back in. I was really impressed with AWB and Maguire they really have improved our defence ten fold.

Some sloppy flicks which didnt always come off but after a few games im certain the match sharpness will be there. A good result but i would have such confidence of a guaranteed top four finish and maybe even an outside shot at the league if we had a couple of more midfielders. But today should be celebrated for an excellent result.

I got pics with some current and former players after the game so im going to bed on cloud nine :-)

Reactions: SteveJ

Djemba-Djemba

We beat West Ham in 2017 4-0 at OT. Carrick didn't start.
Don't think you understand the stat.

The last time we won at Old Trafford in the league and kept a clean sheet at the same time was when we beat Watford 1-0 in May 2018.

Carrick started that game.

croadyman

Chuffed to bits with the result but no doubt that scoreline really flatters Utd, was very reminiscent of the opening day against West Ham in 2017. That was the season where everything looked very rosy until we went to Anfield.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
What we saw today was really the start of a new team performing in United's shirts. I couldn't be happier with the result, considering that Chelsea actually played some good stuff, were getting down our left flank at will early on, and on another day those efforts would have gone in. Saying that, we definitely improved as the match went on, and I think we will see a gradual improvement in all areas as players start to understand each other. The make up of the midfield certainly intrigues me, it didn't seemed balanced some how, do we need that natural left footer in there (Fred), McTominay certainly looks a better player on the right. I think both manager and the team will evolve greatly over the next few months, with players like Tuanzebe, Greenwood, Gomes and Chong initially being given starts in the cup matches, and off the bench in some Prem games. I think most of James's performances will be off the bench also, he currently seems like the ideal player to attack tired defences. Would love to see us build a team around Gomes, to me he really has got that magic something that all great players have. We may not challenge for the prem title this season, but as long as we keep ourselves up there, and have some good runs in the cup matches (hopefully winning at least one), getting lots of valuable minutes into these young players, gaining experience all the time, I think the 2020/21 season could be a great one for this club.

VJ1762

Man, surprised anybody hasn't mentioned xG yet. It was all the rage last season. I read on twitter that xG for us is 1.7(+1 for the penalty) against 0.9 for chelsea. It really wasn't a 4-0 game, although statistics say we would have won the match anyway.

If we had just strengthened the midfield:(. Seeing our midfield constantly overrun against every other team is a sore sight. Are we ever going to sign midfielders?

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 901 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Chelsea
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea