PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 August 2019

Jamie Shawcross

Great start to the season! The players must keep grounded and keep working hard, Wolves away will be a tough game, and its important not to go into that with TOO much confidence, cannot be complacent. Not taking anything away from the result, but Chelsea were not playing their strongest 11 and I thought they played very well but for some sloppy schoolboy defending at times. Sterner tests will come for us, but you can't ask for a better start than that. A few more wins in that manner and teams will start to worry about playing us again, and thats what we need. Still really worried about that midfield...if one of them gets injured I think we could get found out.

James scoring on his debut was pure magic, heart warming stuff. Welcome to United son.

Jamie Shawcross

I learned something today. Never read the match thread on game day! What a bunch of miserables. A nervy start, but so many good things to focus and build on. What a bunch negative so called supporters. This is me shaking my head!
Tell me about it. Some fans think it exudes wisdom if you are self effacing and doom and gloom 24/7. Cheer the feck up! Can't do right this team by some fans...

el3mel

Don't think you understand the stat.

The last time we won at Old Trafford in the league and kept a clean sheet at the same time was when we beat Watford 1-0 in May 2018.

Carrick started that game.
That can't be true. We didn't keep a single clean sheet at home last season? :lol:

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
We fought for every ball.
The team was so fast everyone made Pogba look slow. But he played very well too.
Lets not discount what Chelsea brought to the match. They were a good test.
They were quick too. Playing a similar pressing game.
We rode our luck early on.

We still need to add to midfield. Hopefully in Jan.

Ole and Phelan and the staff have done a very good job over the pre-season.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
AWB man of the match for me, closely followed by Maguire and Pogba.

Buzzing with that result anyway, I feel we are still one midfielder short, but we will cause a lot of teams problems this year.

Wolves away next isn't going to be easy, so I hope we pick up from where we left off here.

Foxbatt

We must not get carried away. Yes we scored 4 goals and yet if we are honest we could have been 0-2 down before we scored the first goal. Lindelof and Maguire looked solid today. Aron was excellent. Pogba to me was poor. Yes he created two goals but he lost possession too many times by falling over. Our midfield in the first half was poor because Pogba played as the holding player while in the second half Ole changed things. I am worried how easily they went through our midfield.
We certainly need another class midfield player. Mata came on later but did not do anything. James will terrorise many a defenders. If we good another good midfield player and if Pogba plays to his potential we can be challenging for the CL places.

Bondi77

Still a lot to work on as the passing was sloppy and the link up play left a lot to be desired but first game of the season can be a banana skin and while we were slipping we never hit the deck.
For the first time in a long time we were clinical with the chances created so long it may continue.

Dread Devil

We fought for every ball.
The team was so fast everyone made Pogba look slow. But he played very well too.
Lets not discount what Chelsea brought to the match. They were a good test.
They were quick too. Playing a similar pressing game.
We rode our luck early on.

We still need to add to midfield. Hopefully in Jan.

Ole and Phelan and the staff have done a very good job over the pre-season.
That’s how I feel, hopefully we can build on this.

RedCurry

This is what is happening in this thread.

We beat Chelsea FOUR nil. We absolutely batter them. Our new signing scores. Our young home grown striker scores. We keep a top four rival to a clean sheet.

“First half was lucky”
“We’ll be punished in other games”

feck me! Enjoy it! We just beat Chelsea 4-0! I’m going to get a massive pizza and then go the pub. If you are thinking ANYTHING negative after that just leave football behind.
3 points against a top 4 rival is massive at any stage of the season. Not getting carried away is one thing but some fans are outright miserable.

RedCurry

Couldn’t decide who the MOTM was. So many candidates today. Such a refreshing change. Long may that continue.

Dread Devil

3 points against a top 4 rival is massive at any stage of the season. Not getting carried away is one thing but some fans are outright miserable.
Absolutely, any result against Chelsea is a good one, a one nil would have been great...but to win by four is massive for the lads, the biggest win since 1965 if I am correct.

RedDevil@84

Missed the game, but so happy to start with an emphatic win. And excellent to see the lad get a debut goal in the theatre of dreams.
So lovely.

Web of Bissaka

Our Defense organization is so bad. Too much relying on individuals defensively.
Thankfully, Chelsea left their scoring boots today.

Fun open game to watch.

:drool: Ole made surprising line-up... other than the usual suspects.
Young and Matic drop/bench(?), nice. Maguire straightaway start and improved team massively.

Lingard and Pereira need to do more in their roles.
Lingard, Pogba and Rashford seriously need to help our defense better.

:devil:Martial were excellent.
Nothing to complain about our attacks. Martial in this mode helps a lot.

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
This is the first time in years that I felt United had the 'United tempo'(SAF tempo) again. Although it was still slower to SAF best football tempo and just temporary for few minutes or so, it still was great to feel like this after so long.
One more thing, Pogba although is by far the best player United has.. he is slowing down the rhythm of the game be it by dribbling, turning, running with the ball, it seems a gear or two behind the natural rhythm of the team and to me it looks like this is a great shackle to the rest around him, because if he's not playing well, United look shite. Probably would be amazing at Juventus or Serie A in general because of the slow tempo or Barcelona/Bayern/City coz' possession style game they have.

Nakhon Phanom

How refreshing to see a United side playing with freedom and a bit of pace.
Still concerned about the midfield and surprised we didn't go for Fernandes.... enquiry about Eriksen too late and he didn't want to come anyway.
Martial looks a revelation back in the no. 9 spot and Wan Bissaka and Maguire look top notch signings.
Wolves away will be a real test and a point or more will be a good result imo.
As long as we keep playing this decent football I don't mind if we struggle to make the top 4 but here's hoping we can.
No Matic, Jones, Smalling and Rojo.... thanks for that, Ole !;)

rpg

Very deceiving result. D.James should have never scored bar that deflection from defender. On another day Zouma wouldn't have made that foul. And Chelsea would have taken the lead instead of hitting woodwork and they would have sat deep in 2nd half and our 2 goals from counter wouldn't happened.

Btw am very happy with James debut goal. I couldnt believe Rashford can score from that Pogba pass. He usually flunked it you know. And Pogba with 2 assists should be our MoM. Martial still unable/unwilling to link up with Rashford effectively. Still don't know what Lingard doing whole game. Maguire looked solid and have a calming effect to defence. I like how McTominay passing quickly no matter how simple it was. I like how Pogba didnt try a shot on goal. We finally have a crosser in Pereira. Chelsea can long shots at goal as much as they want i know de Gea would save it.

Last edited:

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
The defence went missing a few times, but what do you expect when they've never all played together. Maguire has only been there a couple of days. As the defence gets stronger it will also add something to our midfield. We still need a better MF or two but I'm thinking someone might come in in January. Really happy with yesterday.
For all those miserable cnuts that are saying we could have been 2 - 0 down, we weren't, so feck off while the rest of us enjoy it.

moodyred

I am happy to see we can actually defend. Maguire and Wan Bissaka were awesome. Players played with heart. 4-0 was a bonus.

lysglimt

Scout
It was a strange game - Chelsea played good football but were unlucky and poor in the final third, and horrible in defense. We were arrogant in the first 30 mins or so - flicks, turns etc - but it looked like OGS got the message across and once Rashford started tracking Azpilicueta back and we started being more direct - we could start hurting Chelsea.

For OGS this win was incredibly important. Realistically he probably saved his job for the entire season with this match. Not because we won a game but because of how we did it. His 2 signings who started, were really good. His third signing scored a goal. And AWB and Maguire showed enough to almost guarantee that our defense now will be better than Chelsea and Arsenal. That alone should guarantee that we pick up enough points to at least fight for a top-4 position. That combined with the kids, and OGS will keep his job.

Even more important were the fact that our goals were scored by Rashfordx2, Martial and James - the players we need to score this season. In a way this game reminded me of the infamous game against Fulham in 2006. Nistelrooy had left and the only player in was Carrick. I remember the Guardians United-preview read: Who is going to score the goals and completely ruled United out of winning the League. I am of course not saying we will win the League, but sometimes you don't need a new striker to score goals. In 2006/2007 our 4 attcking players Saha, Rooney, Ronaldo and a certain OGS scored 46 goals between them, after we sold Nistelrooy. I still believe our attacking players will get us a lot of goals this year.

It's also worth noticing that this probably was one of the youngest teams United have fielded in the Premier League, in a match where players weren't rested for different reasons. Our average age for outfield players was slightly below 24. Lampard complained about fielding a young side and his teams average age was 25 to put things into perspective.

But I must admit I am worried for Lampard - true they played some decent football - and Kante will help, but when you are begging for Antonio Rudiger to return from injuries you are in trouble.

lysglimt

Scout
And that guarantees that we will beat Chelsea if we end on equal points, that is like a bonus Point.

Red_Aaron

I missed the game but just watched the MOTD highlights and it looked like Chelsea battered us first half - was it that bad or is this BBC narrative editing?

Over the moon with the result and particularly the quality of the goals, rashfords second in particular is the kind of goal we should be getting more often given our set up now.

What a moment for James, so pleased to see how overjoyed he was and the reaction of his teammates was great to see. Dream come true stuff that

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I missed the game but just watched the MOTD highlights and it looked like Chelsea battered us first half - was it that bad or is this BBC narrative editing?

Over the moon with the result and particularly the quality of the goals, rashfords second in particular is the kind of goal we should be getting more often given our set up now.

What a moment for James, so pleased to see how overjoyed he was and the reaction of his teammates was great to see. Dream come true stuff that
They were better in the first half and your goal was against the run of play. In the first 15 they dominated, after that it evened out as you settled into the game, but they probably edged better team in the first 45.

2nd half Utd dropped back a bit and closed down the spaces Chelsea had been operating in and then the whole game changed after your 2 counter attack goals, Chelsea after that might as well given up.

Red_Aaron

They were better in the first half and your goal was against the run of play. In the first 15 they dominated, after that it evened out as you settled into the game, but they probably edged better team in the first 45.

2nd half Utd dropped back a bit and closed down the spaces Chelsea had been operating in and then the whole game changed after your 2 counter attack goals, Chelsea after that might as well given up.
As you're neutral I'll assume that's fair! Nice one

I have to say I thought the chances Chelsea created were excellent, they played it around very nicely and were unlucky in places. However for me Abraham isn't a top level forward, I know he hit the post but I just don't feel he has the all round play. Chelsea have got some really good players and it's hard to dislike lampard but they do look a bit toothless

ryansgirl

Yes, this was a great start but it's a long road back to where Manchester United belong. However, seeing Frank Lampard's post match interview on Sky I think, tells me that Chelsea have got themselves a numpty for manager.

I lost any respect I had for Frank Lampard when all he did was blame four mistakes for a 0-4 result for his team. If I were a Chelsea fan I would hearing warning bells. Frank doesn't seem grown up enough to be Chelsea manager.

Of course luck was involved but luck is always involved in sports games where free scoring is not part of the game and goals are often at a premium. So Frank is telling the world that Manchester United's result had nothing to do with the way in which United attackers played?

So Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Danny James were simply lucky that Chelsea defenders made four mistakes?

Of course Marcus' penalty and later goal had nothing to do with his powerful presence and sense of timing, same for Anthony who was actually being pulled down by the Chelsea defender but didn't get a penalty. Seeing the way James chased the ball after potentially losing it near the box and aimed it under the defender's legs to score that goal tells me it wasn't down to a Chelsea defender's 'mistake'.

Or nothing to do with the fact that the spine of United has been stiffened by the addition of one excellent defender and one with great potential? Frank Lampard is already deluded and its only his first loss of the season.

I can see caf threads of the future - 'Let's all laugh at Frank Lampard and Chelsea'.

ship50

Good win to start the season with. Much improved second half and the new signings did well in their first match. Need to build the momentum now in the coming games.

Eoin McMahon

As you're neutral I'll assume that's fair! Nice one

I have to say I thought the chances Chelsea created were excellent, they played it around very nicely and were unlucky in places. However for me Abraham isn't a top level forward, I know he hit the post but I just don't feel he has the all round play. Chelsea have got some really good players and it's hard to dislike lampard but they do look a bit toothless
Two teams who are both in a time of major transition which was clear to see. We were lucky to win and there's alot of work to do with this united team but it was a huge win for the confidence it gives to the players and the club itself. We could easily be in Chelsea's position now and already questions are being asked one game in.

One thing I can see happening is that our defense may become our strongest area of the team, huge change from last seasons shambolic displays. However our midfield might hold us back I think we're lacking quality next to Pogba who will yet again have to provide the passes to the front 3.

Clinical in front of goal which is encouraging to see, its a risk to depend on Rashford and Martial to score 20+this season but they have Ole's backing so lets wait and see. Wouldn't it be a nice little surprise if Sanchez could show us the form he showed with Arsenal or maybe im asking too much of him at 500k a week. He will play a lot of games with Lukaku gone so it would be a good season to show us what he can do. Probably not but here's hoping!

CoffeeFootball

Supports
Milan
A quick recap from a neutral point of view:

In the first 15 minutes, the main difference between Chelsea and United was confidence. Lampard had his team out there playing like they are all Messi clones, while Solskjaer did the exact opposite. There was zero confidence in their play, and the 25% possession while being pinned back in your own half mirrored that perfectly.

Luck smiled on United though, because if Chelsea had scored instead of hitting the bar your players wouldn't have woken up. A few moments later came Rashford's goal, who was nothing short of superb in this game, which seemed to immediately remind everyone that they are playing for Manchester United not some pub level team.

With the new found confidence the game balanced itself, and in the next 10 to 15 minutes it was United who pressured Chelsea into losing the ball time and time again. Its a shame though some of your players, especially the midfield ones bar Pogba, have the first touch of death when it comes to capitalising on oppositions mistakes, which came from that excellent pressing game.

What followed after that was Chelsea going for broke, which wouldn't be that naive on Lampard's part if he actually had reliable defenders, and not the jellyfish brain likes of Zouma & Christensen.

Chelsea still had the lion's share of the ball, and could have at least equalised until Martial & Rashford decided to go for some sea food, and end the game early in the second. What was impressive at this point, besides the scoreline was Solskjaer's ability to transform Pogba into a sort of Pirlo on steroids.

Kante came on a little too late, but with his injury it's understandable, but the minute he came on Chelsea managed to look miles more stable in the midfield and defence.

Daniel James goal was more luck than skill, but how great was for him to score in a game like this. In closing Solskjaer's needs to work on two things:

- Player confidence.
- Short passing game, which is mostly non existent.

It's still early in the season, and there's still lots of time and lots of room for improvement. But there needs to be improvement on does fronts, for United to have any chance of snatching a top 4 place.

Reactions: Penna

B & W

Supports
Juventus Turin
Smart idea for Chelsea: You had good results with italian managers in the past. Allegri is free...

Oldyella

AWB makes a massive difference. Still can't believe people had doubts about signing him.

Feels negative to complain after such a good result but there was no reason Gomes could not have had Mata's place on the bench, renewing his contract seems crazy if he is going to be on the bench which looks likely, he just doesn't fit the high energy press it looks like Ole wants us to play.

sparx99

Very deceiving result. D.James should have never scored bar that deflection from defender. On another day Zouma wouldn't have made that foul. And Chelsea would have taken the lead instead of hitting woodwork and they would have sat deep in 2nd half and our 2 goals from counter wouldn't happened.

Btw am very happy with James debut goal. I couldnt believe Rashford can score from that Pogba pass. He usually flunked it you know. And Pogba with 2 assists should be our MoM. Martial still unable/unwilling to link up with Rashford effectively. Still don't know what Lingard doing whole game. Maguire looked solid and have a calming effect to defence. I like how McTominay passing quickly no matter how simple it was. I like how Pogba didnt try a shot on goal. We finally have a crosser in Pereira. Chelsea can long shots at goal as much as they want i know de Gea would save it.
Wow. You just rewrote everything that happened. If city didn’t score 5 vs West Ham they wouldn’t have won their game!

Every game of football has moments that can go one way or another. Ultimately, Chelsea’s shots that hit the post are off target. That isn’t unlucky it’s poor finishing. Zouma being clumsy is poor decision making from him but also good play from Rashford.

Dan James has a bit of luck with the deflection but there’s every chance his shot goes in near post without it.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 901 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Chelsea
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea