PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 August 2019

Werder Herzog

Very good results but for the life of me i don't understand what Perreira or Lingard bring to the team.

Maguire is the cb we have been crying out for , awb is a beast but needs to have the confidence to go in behind and whip some balls in- he's young though and this can be worked on.

My concern is that wolves are the kind of team to take advantage of those gaping holes in midfield that were obvious yesterday- they are like us quick on the turnover as proven when we played them 3 times last year.

Oh and Luke Shaw is dross.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Certainly a lot of positives to take away, but I think the real challenge will be what happens when we come up against a side who aren't as wasteful as Chelsea and actually take their chance to go infront. We downed tools last season the moment we went behind and lacked any cutting edge to come back into it, so we need to see if any of that's changed.

Mind you, we'll be going behind a lot less with that new defense!

Patrick08

Missed th first 68 mins. After that what I saw was fantastic. Heard that was not so much before that.

Bestietom

Big improvement in back line, but I'm very concerned about our midfield. Gaping holes there that will be punished by better teams. I just hope we have a couple of top midfielders lined up for January (yes January) or it will be heart stopping stuff again.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Result was better than the performance, but if we manage to keep this composure we can get a lot of difficult wins.

Let's see if we can control the matches a bit better for those games where we are just one goal ahead.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Maguire and AWB were very good and Lindelof played well alongside Maguire although Chelsea missed some good chances to go ahead.

Midfield needs addressing since if the opposition mark Pogba out of the game our options are very much restricted - we definitely needed buying another midfielder alongside Pogba.

The score doesn't reflect the true way the game went.

We are a counter-attacking team with this line up so i think that we may be very dangerous away from home.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
First half Chelsea caused all sorts of problems with their positional play and our pressing was poor. We were lucky to be a goal up obviously. Second half right from the off we closed them down much better which forced them in to mistakes. Think Wan-Bissaka looks a brilliant signing. Defensively a beast and he can play a bit too. There’s some things to improve but nothing that he can’t develop. Maguire looks such a calming influence. He might not be worth anywhere near 80M, but he’s big improvement to our defense. Rashford was MVP and Pogba was also superb in the 2nd half (after being his usual prancing twit in the first). Mason Greenwood plays so similar to a RvP in his prime it’s uncanny. Already a case for selecting him ahead of Martial in the no. 9 position?
Wolves next week will be more of a acid test to see how far or not we’ve improved over the summer.

matt10000

First half Chelsea caused all sorts of problems with their positional play and our pressing was poor. We were lucky to be a goal up obviously. Second half right from the off we closed them down much better which forced them in to mistakes. Think Wan-Bissaka looks a brilliant signing. Defensively a beast and he can play a bit too. There’s some things to improve but nothing that he can’t develop. Maguire looks such a calming influence. He might not be worth anywhere near 80M, but he’s big improvement to our defense. Rashford was MVP and Pogba was also superb in the 2nd half (after being his usual prancing twit in the first). Mason Greenwood plays so similar to a RvP in his prime it’s uncanny. Already a case for selecting him ahead of Martial in the no. 9 position?
Wolves next week will be more of a acid test to see how far or not we’ve improved over the summer.
He is worth what someone is willing to pay for him, would you have been happy if Woody had pulled out of the deal as he was too expensive?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wow. You just rewrote everything that happened. If city didn’t score 5 vs West Ham they wouldn’t have won their game!

Every game of football has moments that can go one way or another. Ultimately, Chelsea’s shots that hit the post are off target. That isn’t unlucky it’s poor finishing. Zouma being clumsy is poor decision making from him but also good play from Rashford.

Dan James has a bit of luck with the deflection but there’s every chance his shot goes in near post without it.
Goals are all about ifs and buts. If defenders and goalies all did exactly what they are supposed to do then there would be very few goals and football would be very boring. Nothing wrong with a bit of luck sometimes is there? I found his post a bit odd.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Just saw Lampard's post match interview, the man was furious. :lol:

Mike Smalling

Excellent first game in many ways. In addition to the three points, it obviously builds confidence and has exposed some of the areas where the team needs to improve.

A butthurt Chelsea-fan I know, thought that both our second and fourth goals should have been called back. The second because Maguire apparently fouled Abraham, and the fourth because Zouma was down with a possible head injury. Were these decisions discussed in the post-match analysis?

Parma Dewol

What a game. Still buzzing. The atmosphere was electric.

Yeah, we rode our luck, and true, it never should have ended 4-0, but what a signal of intent. Mata and Matic on the bench. Jones and Smalling nowhere to be seen (is Tuanzebe now third choice?). A brilliant debut for Harry. Awesome stuff from Wan-Bissaka. And so much pace up front, even if we spend the rest of the season playing on the counter I think most fans will be chuffed.

A long, long way to go yet, but I love the fact that Ole's making a lot of the right moves. It is pretty obvious how we wants us to play and he seems to have the players on board. Truly hopeful that this could be the start of something special in years to come. The average age must have been less than 25 for that opening game?

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, it was great to put the media bull***t and transfer sagas behind us. Ole's said what needed to be said with his team selection and performance. More of the same please boss!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Certainly a lot of positives to take away, but I think the real challenge will be what happens when we come up against a side who aren't as wasteful as Chelsea and actually take their chance to go infront. We downed tools last season the moment we went behind and lacked any cutting edge to come back into it, so we need to see if any of that's changed.

I don’t think many teams will create as many chances as Chelsea did against us, as they won’t press forward in the way that Chelsea did. The flipside of that is that we will only very rarely get so much space to exploit on the counter.

I think the next real challenge will be how we cope against teams that do to us what we did to Chelsea in the last 30 minutes of that game. With our next fixture being a perfect example.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don’t think many teams will create as many chances as Chelsea did against us, as they won’t press forward in the way that Chelsea did. The flipside of that is that we will only very rarely get so much space to exploit on the counter.

I think the next real challenge will be how we cope against teams that do to us what we did to Chelsea in the last 30 minutes of that game. With our next fixture being a perfect example.
Yeah true, I think our big challenge this season is going to be scoring goals, now that we actually have a defense who will likely not let in 50 goals anymore.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Very good results but for the life of me i don't understand what Perreira or Lingard bring to the team.
Perreira is very raw, good pass for the goal, but a lot of loose stuff from him. Hopefully he improves.
Maguire is the cb we have been crying out for, AWB is a beast but needs to have the confidence to go in behind and whip some balls in- he's young though and this can be worked on.
Fair points.
My concern is that wolves are the kind of team to take advantage of those gaping holes in midfield that were obvious yesterday- they are like us quick on the turnover as proven when we played them 3 times last year.
Yes, I don't think it will be easy against them, on their ground. But after today United should be confident.
Oh and Luke Shaw is dross.
I thought Shaw did well yesterday, as he did all last season. As Mou and others said, he didnt get much protection, there were hairy moments, and we were lucky to survive with a clean sheet tbf. But I would not blame Shaw for those.

Cockney Phil

A great game and a great start.

One of those games of two halves - first half I thought we looked pretty average and lucky thanks to the woodwork. A couple of times Chelski sliced up our great defence with ease, which came from mistakes by our midfield. Second half was largely about space and counters, which suggested to me Lampard over played his hand after what he saw in the first half.

Once our defence was relieved of pressure they settled down and we scored on the counter but our midfield concerns me. Ander would have made a huge difference in that game and I think his lack of replacement will expose us in future. I saw a swagger in the front players which is good but will they respond with guile when shut out by tight defences?

Wolves will probably be a better test of how Ole’s system works.

Nick7

Bar a couple of dodgy bounces Chelsea didn't really create anything. They had a lot of space in between the lines during two periods of 15 minutes in the first half and the opening 5 of the second. Solskjaer rejigged the team a tad and we closed off those spaces. Chelsea didn't even threaten us after that.

There was a bit of tactical naivety to Chelsea's second half play that we capitalised on but overall once we made the shift to close down the space they were getting they were clueless. It was a very efficient second half performance. Yeah, you could say we rode our luck a bit with them hitting the bar but I think that was outweighed by us controlling them in the second half.

tony54

Dodgy first half, probably lucky to go in ahead. Fantastic second half.

AWB and Maguire looked great. Lindelof MotM.
Fecking buzzing!
I thought Pogba played a very disciplined game keeping a quite deep midfield position.
I really hope he continues in this vein as he is very effective
And will be happier.
A good team result
This is the first time in years that I felt United had the 'United tempo'(SAF tempo) again. Although it was still slower to SAF best football tempo and just temporary for few minutes or so, it still was great to feel like this after so long.
One more thing, Pogba although is by far the best player United has.. he is slowing down the rhythm of the game be it by dribbling, turning, running with the ball, it seems a gear or two behind the natural rhythm of the team and to me it looks like this is a great shackle to the rest around him, because if he's not playing well, United look shite. Probably would be amazing at Juventus or Serie A in general because of the slow tempo or Barcelona/Bayern/City coz' possession style game they have.
You gave a good summation.
I did admire Paul for holding position deeper and occasionally bursting forward.
And his two assists were great. But if he stops holding on to the ball and moving the ball a bit quicker he will become a much better player.
Think and play like Beckham who never got caught with the ball. So, not bend it like Beckham but don't get caught like Beckham.
I know little about football but would it be better to have two strong fast midfielders playing in front of the back four and Pogba in front of them. I just feel like most posters that our midfield is still weak. I think Tuenzebe or Dalot along with Mctom could fulfil this role until at least we get a world class midfielder.
It was great watching us press high yesterday.

Last edited:

tony54

I was just reflecting on the game yesterday and thinking how lucky we are to be able to watch such good football. It was scintillating non stop action. All credit to both managers and players.

StrettyEnder07

Superb result, second half was phenomenal, all the Ole haters and negative feckers on here must have had their hands in their head.

Brilliant loved watching the pace on the break, lightening quick and we could be lethal especially away from home this year.

Bring on next Monday, can't wait!

fergiesarmy1

Did you watch the game or just googled the highlights ? Get behind the team and the players. Don't be a plastic fan.

Plastic fans wear baby blue.
:lol:

Who rattle your cage, I genuinely didn’t notice him. I was ten pints deep by the final whistle though.

big rons sovereign

How old are you?
What on earth has that got to do with anything? We're all entitled to an opinion as long as it matches yours?
Ok then, let's go full Scouse because we got a great result against a much weakened side who were unfortunate to not score at least 2.
But yeah, not getting carried away makes me immature.
Jog on sonny.

PepsiCola

What on earth has that got to do with anything? We're all entitled to an opinion as long as it matches yours?
Ok then, let's go full Scouse because we got a great result against a much weakened side who were unfortunate to not score at least 2.
But yeah, not getting carried away makes me immature.
Jog on sonny.
Your tone in response and language makes you immature.

Not getting carried away would not.

Rolaholic

That's not all the way true now is it? I seem to remember quiet a couple of occasions where we pulled off late comebacks/draws after going down under both Jose and Ole last season

cyberman

Getting kind of sick about how widely its reported that Chelsea were unlucky.
Nobody was saying we were unlucky when DDG was throwing them in last season in even games? or how we are routinely the best side at Stamford Bridge yet constantly have goals scored v us against the run of play.

DCP

There were a few moments in the first half that Chelsea could have had a break through however there were no clear goalscoring opportunities and we outplayed them from 80 minutes of the game.

Best United performance in a while.

Siorac

Getting kind of sick about how widely its reported that Chelsea were unlucky.
Nobody was saying we were unlucky when DDG was throwing them in last season in even games? or how we are routinely the best side at Stamford Bridge yet constantly have goals scored v us against the run of play.
That's a bold claim! I can think of one example in the last... 10 years? The 2014/15 game where we were indeed unlucky to lose 1-0 though the more insufferable members of the Caf were talking about a "Mourinho masterclass".

Chelsea were unlucky yesterday, not sure why that bothers you.

Steerpike

Pereira supplied the cross for the second goal..
... and he did so because Lingard chased down a misdirected through ball from Rashford, and found Perreira with his pass.

I think some people on here have such a determined agenda against some of our players that it doesn't matter how well they play, they'll still be targets. Lingard actually played very well after being moved into a more central position. Perreira was a bit anonymous, but I like his aggression generally, and I think it provides a useful balance with the flair players. I think in the games where we are clear favourites, Ole could opt for the greater attacking threat of James, or even Greenwood, on the right with either Lingard or Perreira taking the central role (Lingard would get the nod on yesterday's showing).

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 901 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Chelsea
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea