LC W League Cup Round of 16

Chelsea 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 30 October 2019

Classical Mechanic

I don’t think it was too much different to many of our games this season, exceptionally tight but this time we came out on top with some magic from Rashford. Can’t feel too much either way really.

macheda14

With the help of a bent ref, a suspect penalty and a freak free kick your old pros did scrape, foul and time waste their way to a narrow win against our brave kids.

Nah, we were shit first half, better second bit not good enough on the night.

McTom and Williams should both have been sent off though.
The Williams incident was a yellow card at best, McTominay’s fouls after the yellow were never deserving of a yellow and you never really see refs totting up for a second yellow the way they do for a first one. And I know you were joking about our differing ages, but if you include the subs our average ages were 24.14 (chels) vs 24.86 (United) - starting line ups 24 vs 24.3.

EDIT: I just re read your post, you didn’t warrant my response

TRUERED89

I didn't think he was very good tonight. There were a few times where when a player is dribbling at him he just keeps backing up and backing up. You can't just let a guy walk into the 18 like that. At some point you have to step up and force him outside, make him pass, or make a tackle. If it were Young backing up the way that he was the Caf would be losing their minds...
He was being doubled up on by Reece James and Hudson Adoi who are very lively players; even experienced players would of struggled in that situation, yet he still held his own! Give him a break!

always_hoping

Going back to a 4 man defence and taking off Lingard on 65 mins played a big part in that victory tonight. Williams needs more starts.

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

bloody good win on a bogey ground vs a bogey side
Not that they havent been a bogey side in our recent history but we we have beat them twice in Stamford Bridge this calendar year in cup competitions and also beat them in Old Trafford in the League. We also nearly beat them last season in the league in Stamford Bridge. Maybe the tables are turning.

Okey

3 away wins on the trot, going on 4. I'll take a look at that sack thread when I get the chance. Ole's wheel is moving again! Well done lads. Keep it going...

stu_1992

Unfortunately couldn't watch tonight but great to see the lads get a win. Rashfords free kick was a great goal! I am always giving out about him being on free kicks so it was a surprise to see one come off. That's probably his one for the next 100 attempts. :lol: Maybe a deflection on it too? Sacreligious to say perhaps but it looked it from the angle I saw.

Edit: Nope, no deflection. :D

Last edited:

Okey

Oh, and by the way, when does the "Have we moved on from Pogba" thread start?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Excellent performance. Managed to wrestle the game out of Chelseas hands twice given they started both halves very well. A very satisfying performance. Credit to Rojo who had a decent game.

McTominay was excellent though. A real commanding performance in the middle of the park by him. Fair play to Fred too, he's someone I normally give a slating so it's good to see him put in a solid performance.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
The goal Chelsea scored is a big dark spot on the entire match. AWFUL DEFENDING AND WORST IN YEARS.

Other than that, great to see us winning, we are on to something and seems like the team is coming nicely together.

Rashford. What a screamer, amazing.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

I don’t think it was too much different to many of our games this season, exceptionally tight but this time we came out on top with some magic from Rashford. Can’t feel too much either way really.
Ah come on now.

We just won away at Chelsea, that's about as hard as it gets for a Utd manager.

Surely you have to enjoy that?

SqueakyWeasel

Unfortunately couldn't watch tonight but great to see the lads get a win. Rashfords free kick was a great goal! I am always giving out about him being on free kicks so it was a surprise to see one come off. That's probably his one for the next 100 attempts. :lol: Maybe a deflection on it too? Sacreligious to say perhaps but it looked it from the angle I saw.
Don't know what you were looking at …
1-2 :eek:
RASHFORD Rocket!!!

stu_1992

Don't know what you were looking at …
Ah I see, I was very wrong. I only had seen the angle directly facing the goal. And I can see why I could have thought that. Pretty clear it's just a world class strike from the others though!

Louis Van Gonads

I agree. Good result but still concerns with creativity going forward. The penalty and free kick were the only shots on target with the exception of a Lingard shot which was more like a pass back.

Cantonagotmehere

Mctominnay is getting very very good. He bossed the middle today after being on a yellow card. Playing with Fred is like playing alone! Another chicken in the headlights game from him.

Good win. Not convinced with our chances created but 2 good goals. Positive run from James and what a free kick!

If we pick up a few more wins and get the confidence up, we should be much better when Pogba comes back.

Onwards and upwards. Back to the league now. Big game on the weekend. Win that and the team should have some serious momentum on their side (for a change).

Happy that Ole didn't go all youth with this one.
please.....

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It certainly feels like we are starting to see an actual team forming.

Sensational free kick. Rashford must be pinging them in in training because the team always trusts him to take them.

McTominay is such a key player for us. MOTM for me tonight. Great win.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Who doesn't?

I'd take the entire team that Keane led TBF but we've moved on.Leaders will emerge but Keane,Davids, Vieria types are a rare breed. We were kind of lucky to have 3 around who were that great
Well we lack someone who'll bollock the players when standards are slipping in the game.

It was painfully obvious we were giving Chelsea a way back in the game.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I don't wanna get too excited but we're gonna win the quadruple and the Rugby World Cup.

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
Personally, I think Ole's setup should be more effective against top clubs as opposed to bottom half where Utd has to be creative against a low block counter attacking teams.

Cantonagotmehere

The Williams incident was a yellow card at best, McTominay’s fouls after the yellow were never deserving of a yellow and you never really see refs totting up for a second yellow the way they do for a first one. And I know you were joking about our differing ages, but if you include the subs our average ages were 24.14 (chels) vs 24.86 (United) - starting line ups 24 vs 24.3.

EDIT: I just re read your post, you didn’t warrant my response
yeah mate, he's fishing for shite

DVG7

Not sure how its possible to put any negative spin on tonight, not only was this an excellent performance for us it was also an excellent showing for the carabao cup, with every fixture definitely carrying more weight than usual at this stage of the competition.

I'm sure its been posted on the forum, but I came across a video angle of Rashford's free kick where you can see Brandon Williams putting his hands on his head in sheer disbelief at what he just saw. it really is so good as a fan when you see a player out on the field having the same reaction as you.

Lets hope that it isn't too long before he catches one like that again, as he's obviously going to be on free-kicks for the foreseeable future (and rightfully so)

A win away at Chelsea has always been good under any circumstances, but now having 3 wins and a draw in our last 4 outings, it's something to genuinely expect us to build on as opposed to just hoping we can turn it around.

Super Nani

My best mate who is unfortunately a Chelsea season ticket holder had a spare ticket for the game tonight so I got to see that beauty of a free kick live. Couldn’t really celebrate it being stuck in the Matthew Harding Stand but wow what a goal.

Really didn’t think there was any chance it would go in when I saw Rashford lining up to take it but he sure proved me wrong. Incredible strike and an amazing result considering our luck at Stamford Bridge, very happy our best chance of winning a trophy this season is still on!

The Irish Connection

Another good win away. Delighted, hope we get a good draw now. What a goal by rashford, stunning.
Really hope we keep this up and get to January with a few signings coming in.

Run_time_error

Rashford post match interview on Sky:

“it’s all about getting the three points”

Someone needs to tell him it’s a cup game :lol:

Beautiful free kick from him.
At least he didn't say good to win a six-pointer

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355 ratings.

Score Predictions