PL W FA Premier League

Chelsea 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 17 February 2020

RedCurry

Yea, this type of win will not do us any good in the long term. We took our opportunities and got a lot of support by VAR.

Football needs to improve. As expected, we look solid in defense(That is what happens when you spend £130m on defense), but our movement, interplay, and attack is still lacking. Chelsea was far superior in that regards and it was a result that we rode our luck in. Eitherway I will take it, but as I stated before nothing will change with this victory unless we instill a better philosophy into these players.
It's true that the win masks over our overall performance. But there were genuine positives from the game. AWB had a peach of a cross, Martial with a wonderful headed poacher's goal, Fred's industry throughout the game, Maguire and Bailly keeping our backline solid and so on. We need to take all of these good things and do them consistently and at a higher tempo. A competitive PL game is the best practice you can have.

Our problem is that we dwell on these positives instead of building on them. For example, AWB should now try to do the exact skill more often now against Watford. It doesn't even have to come off, I just want him to have that belief that he only needs to get it right once a game. Same with Martial making that near post run. More often it comes off, more belief they have in themselves and their teammates.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Maguire should have been sent of(even Keane admitted that), Chelsea first goal should have stood, and we were lucky Chelsea played with Batshuyi as their striker as he missed multiple easy chances. Those were important elements in the game that luck was on our side. You can’t just look at the result and call it a victory. You have to actually watch the game and see whether it was deserved. You can only cover up holes in your team for a short time until it becomes bigger. I didn’t see a United team that was undoubtedly better and deserving of a victory against Chelsea today.
What revisionist drivel:lol:

Chelsea's first goal was disallowed for a clear foul. The execution of the goal is irrelevant.

How were we lucky that their main goalscorer was injured and the back up is useless? Our main goalscorer is injured but our one striker took his chance. It's hardly luck!

We can call it a victory because we scored 2 with no reply.

'Deserved' has feck all to do with sport. Victories are earned. Ron Clarke was the greatest middle distance runner of his generation with multiple world records but never won an Olympic title because he was never good enough on the day. Ken Rosewall one of the best tennis players never won Wimbledon, never good enough on the day. The list goes on.

Chelsea weren't good enough on the day.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Maguire should have been sent of(even Keane admitted that), Chelsea first goal should have stood, and we were lucky Chelsea played with Batshuyi as their striker as he missed multiple easy chances. Those were important elements in the game that luck was on our side. You can’t just look at the result and call it a victory. You have to actually watch the game and see whether it was deserved. You can only cover up holes in your team for a short time until it becomes wider. I didn’t see a United team that was undoubtedly better and deserving of a victory against Chelsea today.
Chelsea played with the team they had fit, we played with at least three definite starters missing and have done for the best part of the season. Trouble is you can see from comments on here that the pundits influence the opinions of fans. I watch all the games with unbiased commentary and it is so fantastic that I don't have to listen to the crap they come out with. The two Chelsea 'goals' were clearly not legitimate and were called out straight away well before the result of VAR and the Maguire incident was highly debatable and also went to VAR. I fail to see where Chelsea played better than us.

Of course we have deficiencies but other than Liverpool this season so far, so do all the other teams. Liverpool fans can probably savour a PL title after waiting 30 years.
This place would have emptied out about three years into SAF's reign other than the die-hard supporters.

mu4c_20le

What revisionist drivel:lol:
It's not even revisionist, it's just drivel.

There were many games where we missed our chances and lost, so going by that logic, I guess we can't look at those results and call them defeats.

Gasolin

Maguire should have been sent of(even Keane admitted that), Chelsea first goal should have stood, and we were lucky Chelsea played with Batshuyi as their striker as he missed multiple easy chances. Those were important elements in the game that luck was on our side. You can’t just look at the result and call it a victory. You have to actually watch the game and see whether it was deserved. You can only cover up holes in your team for a short time until it becomes bigger. I didn’t see a United team that was undoubtedly better and deserving of a victory against Chelsea today.
Maguire it's 50/50, no one can claim that when you're falling, you don't have reactions on the leg. Son was on the ground already, not moving, this is totally different.

And Chelsea goal = rightfully disallowed, Fred only does a contract with the back of his hand, one hand, while Azpicullieta goes both hands palm out. It would have been unfair to give Chelsea anything on that goal, or the next one. For all those shots were they miss the target? We got tons of those during this season so why not them? It's only up to them to score.

The rest of the tactical analysis is mainly already covered by many other people so I won't repeat again, it gets tiring.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Maguire it's 50/50, no one can claim that when you're falling, you don't have reactions on the leg. Son was on the ground already, not moving, this is totally different.

And Chelsea goal = rightfully disallowed, Fred only does a contract with the back of his hand, one hand, while Azpicullieta goes both hands palm out. It would have been unfair to give Chelsea anything on that goal, or the next one. For all those shots were they miss the target? We got tons of those during this season so why not them? It's only up to them to score.

The rest of the tactical analysis is mainly already covered by many other people so I won't repeat again, it gets tiring.
Ridiculous that the first one is even questioned. I can understand feeling it's not your night when Girouds toes are offside, but for pushing a player to the ground so he cannot defend a corner? It's not even worth another mention.

Mihai

The main thing to come out of yesterday's match is that Ole has once again, earned himself a reprieve.
When he loses his next match, the wolves will be out again.
Wolves are still in, both the league and Europa.

Gator Nate

Another fun game to watch.

Fred - MOTM - They had to believe there were three of him on the field. Tireless.

Bruno - Better than those around him, doesn't see the ball enough. Beautiful corner kick/assist.

Matic - Serviceable, I still think McTominay offers more, but Matic did make good passes

Maguire - Finally, a goal! Solid defensive work and leadership.

AWB - Dude has offensive ability nobody gives him credit for, still solid on defense

Bailly - Physical presence, very impressed... let's see how long before he's injured again

Williams - Another solid game, good movement and passing

Shaw - Worked very well with Williams

Martial - Well, he was there for the goal... had a difficult time getting service to him

James - Still a defensive presence up front, not too effective offensively, but he did put in one beautiful cross to no one.

DeGea - Never really tested

Ole - Ownership of Lampard complete.

Clean sheets again! Win at Stamford Bridge! Pulled in closer to 4th! What's not to like?

It looked like both sides needed to knock off the rust in the first 30 minutes. We succeeded, they didn't. Chelsea never really looked to be in the game. VAR was right on the goals, probably right on Maguire to. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

freddie the red

Oh my god this is so tedious.

No one tell him about Villa at home. Or Watford away. Or Burnley at home.
[/QUOTE]

Mate, I've been as angry and as bored to tears as anybody about all those matches but if the guy is able to get these sort of results he deserves an extended go at it.
What is genuinely tedious is all those who would willingly bin him when the other 3 we've had have all failed despite having better and far better pedigrees.
Just give the guy a longer go at it that's all I'm suggesting, what's tedious about that? Or do we just keep hiring and firing?

Gasolin

Excellent post-match analysis. :D

They will get smashed by Bayern because they won't be able to finish chances. The guy does not seem to understand that it's football to sometimes allow the shot but if it's not on target, it's because most of the time, teams are set up to force you to shoot in difficult positions and go wide...

Gasolin

Speak for yourself. Plus who are you to tell me who to support?
I don't know, why bring negativity right now? You're a bit like Mino. Sure, maybe it was "incidental", a coincidence, everything. But still, it's a divisive message that we do not need right now.

Fitchett

Interesting stat.

That was first time Man United have completed a league double over Chelsea without conceding a goal since 1964-65.
Strewth! I was at the match at Old Trafford that year, when we won 4-0, at Easter, to end Chelsea's title hopes.

Reiver

I'm still in the Ole Out camp but I'm not going to knock a win at Stamford Bridge. Some of the criticism on here is ridiculous.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
if we apply this version of reality and attribute the bolded to the majority of our losses AND draws this season... well. We're in a pretty comfortable top3 by some margin then.

Unfortunately the league table doesn't rank you on what you deserve, only on what you have.

cyril C

It might be better for City to take it on the chin, learn from it and move on, if they appeal and lose the appeal UEFA might add an extra year or two, and none of us would want that!
Chelsea played with the team they had fit, we played with at least three definite starters missing and have done for the best part of the season. Trouble is you can see from comments on here that the pundits influence the opinions of fans. I watch all the games with unbiased commentary and it is so fantastic that I don't have to listen to the crap they come out with. The two Chelsea 'goals' were clearly not legitimate and were called out straight away well before the result of VAR and the Maguire incident was highly debatable and also went to VAR. I fail to see where Chelsea played better than us.

Of course we have deficiencies but other than Liverpool this season so far, so do all the other teams. Liverpool fans can probably savour a PL title after waiting 30 years.
This place would have emptied out about three years into SAF's reign other than the die-hard supporters.
The 2nd goal was clear-cut, as Var-history has been consistent on ruling. The 1st goal, however, was pure luck that it was on our side. If you remember the foul on DDG, and there were plenty of example like this, sometimes they see it sometimes they don't.

The Maguire foul was not evil in intent but debatable under slow motion replay. Son got a straight red for that, so Chelsea players had a history in putting their chest onto opponent's boot, Ref beware. So again the result could go in either direction.

AR87

It's hilarious when so many of the people see the first disallowed Chelsea goal as a terrible application of VAR but will ignore the goal Everton scored against us.

These things tend to even out over the course of a season. Ultimately Chelsea created jack shit from open play other than an offside goal from Giroud -- marginal as it may be -- and we were clinical with our chances. If the same exact result happened the other way I can guarantee this type of "understanding" wouldn't be afforded to Ole.

As it stands Ole deserves until the end of the year, and we can and should make a completely informed decision then.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That first goal, you have to decide if our man touching theirs was worthy of a pen or not. I doubt anyone would say yes.
But after that, he's done a two handed shove on our player, so clearly is a foul and rightly ruled out.

It'd be like someone giving you a nudge, and you handball it into the goal. That would still be ruled out.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I'm not a big Ole defender but its outstanding the difference in criticism he gets compared to Lampard.
I am a pretty big Ole fan (since '90s, that is. Jury is still out on his managerial success) but Ole gets more stick than Lampard because Lampard's team has been solidly 4th in the league and we haven't. So - no magic there.

That said, great game and it's fantastic how we've owned Chelsea this season. Super important win.

Cloud7

The official club twitter account doesn’t half milk things when something good happens eh? They’re still posting clips and stuff about that match. I know there’s not much to be happy about at United these days, but they still take it a bit too far.

dirkey

The official club twitter account doesn’t half milk things when something good happens eh? They’re still posting clips and stuff about that match. I know there’s not much to be happy about at United these days, but they still take it a bit too far.
Heaven forbid they celebrate a big win away to one of our current biggest rivals.

I guess that's the world we live in these days though. It's why post match threads usually grow at a much bigger rate after dropped points. People would much rather piss and moan than celebrate the good times.

Guess it gives them a chance to say i told you so.

TRUERED89

It's not even revisionist, it's just drivel.

There were many games where we missed our chances and lost, so going by that logic, I guess we can't look at those results and call them defeats.
Pretty much summed it up, we could win the CL final in the same manner and certain posters would say naaaah it's not a victory, we're lucky we finished our chances and they didn't :lol:. Unless we have 100% possession and 35 shots on target it's not a deserved victory.

PS: Bailly's first game in about 15 years HA, and he was arguably MOTM, another huge positive that the moaners are overlooking. Give the team some credit when we win in an equal manner to how you slate them when we lose!

Last edited:

Cloud7

Heaven forbid they celebrate a big win away to one of our current biggest rivals.

I guess that's the world we live in these days though. It's why post match threads usually grow at a much bigger rate after dropped points. People would much rather piss and moan than celebrate the good times.

Guess it gives them a chance to say i told you so.
Or, you know, it’s been two days since the match, one good result in the midst of a bunch of crap results. No need to go overboard with it. It’s more a comment than anything else, but good job in extrapolating a commentary on society as a whole from that :lol:

TRUERED89

Or, you know, it’s been two days since the match, one good result in the midst of a bunch of crap results. No need to go overboard with it. It’s more a comment than anything else, but good job in extrapolating a commentary on society as a whole from that :lol:
2 whole days wow! You're acting like it's been 2 weeks/months. Give it a rest Cloudy, Chelsea used to be our bogey team but the roles have reversed, let the club and fans enjoy it until the next game at least damn it.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There are quite a few reasons to be optimistic about United if the individual decides to look for the positives instead of the negatives. We've made very good progress in culling the squad of the mess that has been made over the last few seasons. Many signs point to us (Woodward) finally learning some lessons about how we need to act in the market. No more players coming here for a payday. No more players sitting in the squad for 3 seasons and not contributing. An emphasis on youth, and players that really want to play for the club. Leaders are being signed and the players look like they are willing to fight for each other. We may miss out on CL football again next season, and that will be a shame, but there are reasons to be optimistic that a very good team is emerging here.

Siorac

I'm not a big Ole defender but its outstanding the difference in criticism he gets compared to Lampard.
They're still ahead of us in the table, they lost their best player over the summer and couldn't sign anyone, and you probably pay much less attention to articles and media soundbites about Chelsea.

OleTheGreat

WOW! i mean we could've been 1 or 2 down before the break but we rode our luck and got to a lead before the break. All the mess about AWB not able to cross or actually play offensively was shattered but his confidence on the ball against Chelsea. Martial was absent for most of the first half but he was the only one in the box and in the right at that time to out the ball in the net with a beautiful lancing header away form Caballero. The second half was like any other game this season, Ole goes into the dressing room fuming and asking more from his players. They closed down players quickly in the opponent box and kept going forward every opportunity they got. I liked that more than anything. Bruno was right in his post match interview, we could've done so much more with the ball. Maguire was excellent throughout and got his deserving goal. Fred has been our midfield genius but i still think he can push more forward passes towards Martial, James and especially Bruno who is good with the ball at his feet. Matic was as usual tidy but very slow in crunchy situations. James made some good unrecognized runs but apart that he was virtually absent. Martial grew into the game but all i could think of is, when Ighalo was introduced he immediately picked up the ball passed it towards the side and dashed into the box. We all expect Martial to do that. Anyway, a deserving victory thanks to some good decisions by VAR. Although i think Maguire's decision was a mistake (he did kick out).

Hopefully we can get Mctominay back for the next game because we've missed him! With Rashford and Pogba back soon, we gonna look ACES!

ReddBalls

Speak for yourself. Plus who are you to tell me who to support?
Well, you are not doing much supporting, are you?
3-1-1 in the last 5. Not brilliant, but definitely not crap.

dirkey

Thanks. I'm a deep, deep man.

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 53% of 406 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 384.07692307692 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win