PL W FA Premier League

Chelsea 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 17 February 2020

Member 90887

He freaking shoved him down when the ball was coming at him. How the feck was that not a foul that led to a goal? People are weird.
It's just that people have agendas. Winning against Chelsea goes against "the manager is shit at everything he does" narrative. To think that instead of being happy, the first comments of some posters on here is "how the ref was with us and we did not deserve to win" is baffling.

Member 90887

Their argument is that Azpilicueta was pushed by Fred and therefore, it's only "natural" he pushes Williams. I can see why, but for me, it's still a foul and no goal. Stop that BS of pushing players to open up the space, especially from behind. Head to head? No problem.
I get the argument, but Fred barely touches him, it is no more than what usually happens in the penalty box while he fully pushes Williams with both hands.

Moreover, if that's the argument, what should the ref do in that case ? definitly not accept the goal. The only course of action for the ref in that case is to five a penalty. Two fouls do not cancel each other. And there's no way a penalty is given for contact in the box. at least not that light of a contact.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Good result against a poor chelsea side which is low on cofidence. Would have been dissappointed not to have beaten that chelsea line up. Rode our luck on quite a few occasions and not a massive difference between the two sides on the night.
Not to get ahead of our selves but we've got to go on a decent run.
Yeah and it's also worth mentioning they were forced into two subs. All told they had a torrid night, so to not beat them would have been a travesty to be honest. However considering the meals we've made of certain matches this year you have to be pleased with a 2-0 win at Chelsea.

We're still in the mix for CL qualification and if we can use this as a springboard to start playing better and getting results we just might make a relative success of this season.

Noc-Z

ffs
Hardly a great performance, but a great result, especially given the players we have out. Certainly defended well. Was surprised how toothless Chelsea were, but with Abraham and Pulisic injured I suppose I shouldn't be.
Who are you thinking? McT? I think he's great but I'm not sure he'd get back in the team right now. Rashford would so yeah we are missing him.

Mike Smalling

Great result! Hopefully we will finally be able to string a couple of results together after this - it would be critical to be in a good position going into the Man City and Spurs games in a couple of weeks. Since Chelsea and Spurs play each other next weekend we could actually be quite close to top four if we just manage to beat Watford at home.

Thankfully we did not get any more injuries, so with Bruno and Ighalo coming in and a few of the key players nearing their return, we could yet make a push for the Europa League or top four.

Alabaster Codify7

Chaotic performance, like headless chickens at times but a crucial and pretty impressive scoreline in the end. Got to give Ole credit for coming away from there with 3pts, not so much for the performance itself but that's a huge win with one eye on top 4-5.

Denis' cuff

Who are you thinking? McT? I think he's great but I'm not sure he'd get back in the team right now. Rashford would so yeah we are missing him.

Pogba not even worth considering, obvs

McTom will walk back into the team btw

missing Rashy, Pogba (as always) McTom. Didn’t even need to bring on young Mason to snatch one.

tidy win

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
One thing I like about this season is that although we are still not very good, and probably not even as good as the Van Gaal, Mourinho or Moyes versions of the team, the hunger and spirit pretty much always seems to be there. It makes us easier to watch even though there are still a lot of groan moments where our lack of quality is a bit shocking. For that reason (quality) I do think we miss Pogba and Rashford.

Denis' cuff

Sad that this thread is just 9 pages trying to discredit the win.

Some of the fans on this forum are a disgrace

theyre not even fans

people with too much time on their hands who dont support the club. Wouldn’t know their way to the ground.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Honestly I think it's gotten to the point where certain posters with a clear agenda could do with a time out for the health of the forum. It is clear that winning the Ole argument is more important to them than the football.

cyberman

I do wonder if the fans trying to downplay the win are the same fans who were constantly telling us that Lampard was better than Ole

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
One thing I like about this season is that although we are still not very good, and probably not even as good as the Van Gaal, Mourinho or Moyes versions of the team, the hunger and spirit pretty much always seems to be there. It makes us easier to watch even though there are still a lot of groan moments where our lack of quality is a bit shocking. For that reason (quality) I do think we miss Pogba and Rashford.
Definitely makes us easier to watch when you can see a group of dedicated players, giving everything to win. Whether we actually win or not, it is much better to watch.

I posted a year or so ago that while I obviously will always be a UTD fan, it had reached a point where I saw no heroes on the pitch. No one I could get behind. Now there are plenty and it makes watching us so much better regardless of our league position.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I appreciate that Maguire should've been sent off but we were the better team in that game, the injustice outcry around the web by Chelsea fans and even some on here claiming we were lucky is ridiculous. Our only bit of luck (albeit a big bit of luck) was Maguire staying on the pitch. We were the better fecking team.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Every time I've watched Chelsea they've been good when I've seen them. I just had this feeling we'd cream them though, they look mentally inferior to United and that really is quite a feat.

dirkey

I appreciate that Maguire should've been sent off but we were the better team in that game, the injustice outcry around the web by Chelsea fans and even some on here claiming we were lucky is ridiculous. Our only bit of luck (albeit a big bit of luck) was Maguire staying on the pitch. We were the better fecking team.
Ultimately, we were, yes. But not by a huge amount. And, the difference was getting the first goal. Because we were arguably second best until that went in - they'd certainly had the better chances. They'd also lost their best player (admittedly we have a load out with injury, but losing a player so early in the match makes a massive difference in terms of tactics / setup).

I think we rode our lucky slightly, but did deserve to win. Lucky that VAR didn't send off Maguire, he should have been sent off, but the other two decisions were right. Lucky that Frank went with Batshuayi up front, my word he's hopeless !!

Mr Smith

We're a much weaker team without Rashford, Mctominay and Pogba (I know, I sometimes forget he's still here too). You put those three players into the side and it looks significantly stronger.

Zen86

Definitely makes us easier to watch when you can see a group of dedicated players, giving everything to win. Whether we actually win or not, it is much better to watch.

I posted a year or so ago that while I obviously will always be a UTD fan, it had reached a point where I saw no heroes on the pitch. No one I could get behind. Now there are plenty and it makes watching us so much better regardless of our league position.
Completely agree

Jerome Holland

Tha
No he didn’t. He played okay. Made one big mistake that we were lucky not to cost a goal. People are knee jerk here. His back catalogue of performances have been overwhelmingly poor. People like the novelty of a fresh player back, and the hope he’ll fulfill that early promise. But he’s been mostly shite since he came here, and he’s made of glass. We need to buy a partner for Maguire.
That's your opinion don't know what game you were watching, let's just agree to disagree

Djemba-Djemba

We've been away to Arsenal, Liverpool, City and Wolves in the cup and Chelsea in 2020 so it's been a very tough start to the year.

Really hoping we can build some momentum now.

mckr13

I would have taken any sort of win here last night. Things to note, Bruno is a baller and when Rashford is fit and makes runs down the channels we will offer so much more going forward and he has a good work ethic about him he never stopped trying to find space and tracking back. McTominay will walk back in but Matic was decent last night so we should ease him in for run in to push for top 4. Fred has been good and is becoming the annoying pest we loved about Herrera, long may that continue. Personally for me the game has gone soft, Maguire was never a red, neither was Son's and both disallowed goals were correct decisions. Pogba and Riola can both feck away off nobody is bigger than the club and Riola has a cheek to say Pogba is not the property of Ole, well that is rich coming from a man who makes a living of selling people to the highest bidders. Riola should not be allowed anywhere near the club going forward, a strong stance is needed and a clear message sent to all, we are Man Utd and we will not be dictated to by those who wish to exploit their position as an agent for lets face it a big payday for their own gain. Screw the agents

Ace of Spades

Honestly I think it's gotten to the point where certain posters with a clear agenda could do with a time out for the health of the forum. It is clear that winning the Ole argument is more important to them than the football.
It is pathetic, even if you do not like or rate the manager, if you can't enjoy your team winning games especially against your rivals, you should probably stop supporting this club. I never liked Jose, was bored to death by LVG, and never rated Moyes, but always hoped for the best every match day, and was always happy with a win, especially against our rivals.

To see so many pathetic glory hunters pretending to be fans is sad to see.

Denis79

Lucky Maguire stayed on, would have probably been a completely different game otherwise. Fred was fantastic, important win and hopefully we can string a few wins together going forward.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I get the argument, but Fred barely touches him, it is no more than what usually happens in the penalty box while he fully pushes Williams with both hands.

Moreover, if that's the argument, what should the ref do in that case ? definitly not accept the goal. The only course of action for the ref in that case is to five a penalty. Two fouls do not cancel each other. And there's no way a penalty is given for contact in the box. at least not that light of a contact.
It is weird how a lot of pundits/people reckon that a slight shove in the back means you simply HAVE to use both your hands to push someone to the floor.

If the ref hadn't overturned it I could see why (and another ref on another day might not have overturned it)... but you can obviously see why VAR has overturned it, so it's hardly a big blunder or whatever.

Funny how the people/pundits that are saying he pushed him because Fred nudged him aren't using that defense for Maguire kicking Batshuayi in the nuts (granted they're quite different incidents, but still)

crossy1686

career ending
Lucky Maguire stayed on, would have probably been a completely different game otherwise. Fred was fantastic, important win and hopefully we can string a few wins together going forward.
I thought it wasn't a red until I saw the 10th replay after the match. It didn't look like a kick out and Maguire said he thought he was going to fall on him so he put his foot out to stop that from happening. I'd be inclined to believe him to be honest. Another ref might have sent him off for it so we probably got lucky there, subjective decision I guess?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Big win, not too worried about the performance, we more than held our own and in the second half we were the better side.

I have been on the Ole out train, however I still want him to succeed badly. So let’s please go on a run of wins that the club badly needs to get into and stay in the top 5.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Thoughts from an oppo fan

Massive win for you guys and though the football wasnt exactly freeflowing the team played for each other, I loved the way Fred and Fernandes stood in for each other when arguing with Chelsea players.

Surprised Maguire wasn't at least booked, it was studs up into an opponent, but VAR says what it says. As for the disallowed goals from my point of view, VAR was absolutely right on both decisions.

Bruno looks like he is adapting easily to the premier league. Man of the match for me was either Fred or AWB both were immense. Bailly looked surprisingly good for someone who hasnt played first team football for almost a year.

Chelsea reminded me a bit of you lot under LvG lots of possession lots of sideways passing no real threat, though Mount looked dangerous and they looked better as a team when Giroud came on.

All in all a good win and a good platform to build on.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The state of the BBC article on this game. "United win BUT Chelsea left with sense of injustice”

“Maguire scored BUT Chelsea felt aggrieved he was on the pitch”

“Being on the right side of decisions helped United do the double over Chelsea for the first time since 1988”

Then a link to an article on the side “United in the hunt for the top 4 – somehow”

Skåre Willoch

This is so damn true. He looked like Maldini yesterday, the problem is that we will get a Jones performance now and again
I kinda agree, but my point was that he can be both Maldini and Jones, and everyone in between, in the space of a few minutes.

An absolute madman, with great physique and terrible composure.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Massive win for you guys and though the football wasnt exactly freeflowing the team played for each other, I loved the way Fred and Fernandes stood in for each other when arguing with Chelsea players.

Surprised Maguire wasn't at least booked, it was studs up into an opponent, but VAR says what it says. As for the disallowed goals from my point of view, VAR was absolutely right on both decisions.

Bruno looks like he is adapting easily to the premier league. Man of the match for me was either Fred or AWB both were immense. Bailly looked surprisingly good for someone who hasnt played first team football for almost a year.

Chelsea reminded me a bit of you lot under LvG lots of possession lots of sideways passing no real threat, though Mount looked dangerous and they looked better as a team when Giroud came on.

Thought Mount was your best player actually... always looked pretty dangerous, and I've never really thought he was THAT good until yesterday (though hasn't he been in poor form of late?). There is also no discernible reason why Giroud should not start ahead of Batshuayi, he's miles better... and as an opposition fan I've always hated playing against Giroud and his big French head. In general though your attack is all over the shop though, Ziyech can't come quick enough.

Was really disappointed by Jorginho... I'm a big fan of him but thought he was very poor yesterday.

Maguire should have had a red card, would have been a massively different game... but as he wasn't, the result of the match that followed it was fair one (if that makes sense).

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

My thoughts entirely.
The most important thing is the win and a very good win at that.

I am not the biggest fan of Ole but he and his team deserve massive credit for the overall performance, 3 points and denying Chelsea any points.
Well done to the team.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Thought Mount was your best player actually... always looked pretty dangerous, and I've never really thought he was THAT good until yesterday (though hasn't he been in poor form of late?). There is also no discernible reason why Giroud should not start ahead of Batshuayi, he's miles better... and as an opposition fan I've always hated playing against Giroud and his big French head. In general though your attack is all over the shop though, Ziyech can't come quick enough.

Was really disappointed by Jorginho... I'm a big fan of him but thought he was very poor yesterday.

Maguire should have had a red card, would have been a massively different game... but as he wasn't, the result of the match that followed it was fair one (if that makes sense).
Agree with everything you say, but I'm a Brighton fan not a Chelsea one!!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Good post. Stamford Bridge has always felt to me like a pretty claustrophobic pitch and stadium. Not somewhere designed to play good football. Space is at a minimum. Similar to the old Highbury

Okey

Massive win in a proper 6-pointer. Weirdly, I fully expected us to win this game, judging by the season we're having, and Chelsea being on a downer at the moment. Now on to Watford, which is my real worry. If we beat Watford easily, then I'm fairly sure we'll go on a good run. Struggle, and I fear our Jekyll and Hyde impression will last all season long!

Tony247

1. Martial became zero to hero in a few seconds of brilliance, then again went back to zero.
2. AWB was defensively solid as usual. Looks like slowly he is improving his crosses.
3. Fred was a workhorse and gave his everything. Technically Bruno made him look much better than what he is. Looks like the game plan was both to link up and both executed it well. Other than that Fred has much to improve upon his set pieces, shooting.
4. Bruno is a natural leader and showed clear vision which was lacking. He should take all free kicks, corners.
5. Maguire was solid
6. Bailly was sometimes best defender in the league and sometimes worst. But his pace complimented well for Maguire.
7. James was poor. But mainly because almost all the time he tries to go solo. He hardly links up with other players, hesitate to quickly pass the ball. If he can sort that out then there is lot of potential.
8. Matic did his best. We should extend his contract. He can be a squad player for another season.
9. Williams did well.
10. Shaw was wasteful.

Man of the Match

Fred image Fred 53% of 406 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 384.07692307692 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win