FA L FA Cup Semi-Final

Manchester United 1:3 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 19 July 2020

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What pisses me off the most today is that one of the rookie managers will definitely win a trophy in their first season and become the media darling for next season.

Ideal scenario would be for Chelsea to win the FA Cup and finish 5th now.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Until we sort out the depth of the squad we will have problems. That has to be addressed. You need viable options to come off the bench to not overwork the players. The standard drops too much if we make the slightest change to the team.
Pretty much this - if we had Sancho up front instead of James today, it would have been a very different start to the game. If we had a good dependable CB other than Bailly (Jones unfit again), we could have made a like for like sub, and not lost shape to their wingbacks as well. Better squad depth, and we could still have had a chance despite the De Gea howlers. Reminded me of Karius in the final against Real Madrid.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They were due a result against us. Literally never happens that between bit teams, one team goes 4/4 in a season. So I didn't expect much. Still a poor performance. De Gea especially... not great.

Anyway, if there was 1 game for us to have a collective off day in, glad it was this one.

theklr

Only positive from this match is that our unbeaten run didnt end in a more inportant PL game. Sometimes it will help to get a real downer to regroup and reset mentally, so one doesnt think you are invincible.

Really really wish Ole had rested more players and played Romero.

Also, our CB situation is looking real bad now.

ash_86

Can't believe Ole is not starting Ighalo. The man can hold 2 defenders by himself and could've brought other players into the game. Horrible blunder by Ole starting James as he was very poor not just today but since the restart

RuudTom83

Team looks tired and slow...playing every couple of days is not easy.

De Gea gave away 2 goals making it Game Over!

Travel home, sleep and go again.

chris123

Pogba, Greenwood and Martial didn't start.
My point exactly. He played half a starting XI, the team performed poorly, and he then brought on the rest of the Starting XI without impacting the outcome at all. It was just a weirdly mismanaged game all round.

Banana Republic

West Ham will be really up for Wednesday nights game.
They’ve finally got two good results, back to back, scoring 7 goals in those last two games and saving their place in the EPL, so it’s not going to be easy or a formality.
They’ve got nothing to lose and will be facing a jaded Utd, only 3 days after coming off the back of today’s depressing and demoralising defeat.
If we had gone down today, putting up a decent effort and coming away with at least some pride, I’d be more confident about Wednesday night. As it is, I can easily see us crumbling yet again. I hope to god I’m wrong.

m1tch

No place on the team coach back to Manchester for De Gea again. I assume he just pre-books a taxi these days to save hailing one after the games.

RedDevil@84

Moyes has given his players clear instructions to make full use of United's sloppy passing and joke of a defense

hobbers

Arteta would have tactically outclassed Ole in the final so at least we dodged that.

Get In Scholesy

It also seems as if we struggle to defend when as a team shifts their attack from central to out wide then deliver a quick ball in the box (like the 3rd goal conceded)

Our fullbacks are too slow to get out and stop a cross and out CBs are either too slow to get into position or get wrong side of the attacker.

We have to do better in defending as a unit in those circumstances.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Worst performance of the season for me that. Worse then West Ham, Bournemouth, Warford and Newcastle. Truly truly shocking.

DSG

Although they were better than the rating I gave them, DDG and Maguire get 1/10s.

It’s symbolic. Maguire was bought partially to give us an aerial threat on set pieces. He’s been shite. Can’t put his headers on target. How many times have we seen him get to a ball but muff up the execution? Not good enough. He has to be better.

Tbf, DeGea did have a few nice saves. But he is a reminder of our failures. He is a representation of the not-good-enough United. He is an over-paid mercenary who could care less about the club, and he’s on the decline. He cost us at least 9 points last season and 6 points this season. I hope we replace him this summer. Send him out on loan to Juventus or Inter. No one will buy him with his confidence shot like this.

OleGunnar20

I’d be inclined to agree, but who is going to consider taking De Gea off our hands?

Romero is an injury prone 33. He has had periods of unavailability in recent years and will need to be replaced soon too probably.

I love Romero and his clean sheets record, but I think the best bet is to have De Gea and Henderson compete for #1. If neither of them can stomach that, then you sack the arrogant one off, and stick with the other and Romero. If both accept it, then we go with the two of them and thank Romero for his service. Either De Gea then improves or we have one of the top five keepers of the season ready to go in his dream job.
It's a tricksy one alright. Maybe PSG? Honestly, I've no clue.

From what seen of hendo thus far he seems like a confident lad. I reckon he'd be more than up for a fair challenge at the #1 spot, while De Gea mentally is looking more fragile by the day.

Maybe you're right. Bitter pill to swallow mind, watching another mega contract warming the United bench.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Not sure about that to be honest. Today was an FA Cup semi-final. That should still mean something despite the situation that’s around the game at then minute. Today’s defeat still hurts. We’re still Manchester United and presumably we want to challenge for trophies again in the future. Need to wear that defeat and learn some lessons from that today.
Agreed, but we weren't on it today and hopefully we'll learn from it.

RedMilo

Oh well - Bit of a reality check as to where we really are, we cant make so many changes and expect to beat Chelsea, the quality in our squad is not there yet.

De Gea has been struggling for form for a long time, but the loss of form added to his obvious deficiencies in his game i.e. doesn't command his area(never has) - is not a good combination. Why Ole decided not go with Romero is beyond me, he is normally our cup keeper and hope he reverts to Sergio for Europa League.

AWB positioning was horrible today, how often does he get caught ball watching! The lad can tackle but his control is not good, he has no composure going forward and is defensively suspect. Never been a £50m player. Give Dalot a chance.

Lindelof, caught wrong side of striker again second game running for their 1st goal. Lacks strength.

Rashford, someone needed to tell him we were playing in red today. The guy is so frustrating, scores really good goal and assist then next game he cant get a simple pass right. His body language was piss poor today, looked like he couldnt be arsed.

I thought Bailly looked composed today before his injury and thought Fred was unlucky to be hooked.

Williams did okay but we missed Shaw's guile today on the left, but its the right hand side of our team that needs improving.

Praying we turn up against West Ham and cement top 4 position, as Moyes will love to get one over us.

HowYouDoin

Sucks losing but I guess the only positive now is that we know it can happen so players will be fired up against West Ham and not too comfortable. We did get too comfortable the last week or two, we started taking winning for granted.

Also we gotta bring back Henderson, dont care what we do with De Gea.
And gotta say TFM made me feel more comfortable than Bissaka on the right.

I guess what this game does show is that we still arent quite there.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
@Sassy Colin has summed it up. Bad day at the office. Move on

We went 19 unbeaten. Today we lost to a good side that played better on the day. We'd talked about the advantage that they had the way the fixtures fell, and whilst this sounds like an excuse, it isn't, but you could see it on the pitch. They looked sharper from the kick off.

Remember our objectives. I actually think we've had a good day today with Leicester getting thumped. We are now big, big favourites to get top 4 now and who would have thought that 6 months ago. The team have done remarkably well to get into this position.
:)

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Fed up of De Gea. Pulls off spectacular saves now and then but his consistency is awful. He's a meek goalkeeper, absolutely no leadership qualities. Need someone shouting their arse off commanding the back line between the sticks. He's been our number 1 for a decade now and I'm done, sell him off whilst we can still get a profit for him.

Defence were also terrible today, Maguire needs to stop marking his own team - was marking AWB for the equalising Southampton goal and was throwing himself into the ball Bailly was going for. Needs to settle the feck down.

We cannot deal with a high press. It's been the same for months and months. Why can't we anticipate this? Annoying. Hopfully we go on to smash West Ham but this performance won't instill confidence.

Red_Aaron

We continue to look leggy, Chelsea ran all over us from first to last.

I don't think we played a first time pass the entire game, everyone wanted 2-3-4 touches and it made Chelseas pressing job easy

I'm gutted as I love the FA Cup but the important game this week is West Ham. We need to somehow drag a performance out, hopefully this humbling will focus the team

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fair play to Chelsea and Lampard. Played well today. Obviously helped by how god awful we were, but you can only beat what's in front of you.

Mount is someone I've never thought much of but he looked very good today. Reece James could be their RB for the next 15 years, tidy player. With their new signings they'll be in the conversation next season.

Our fans needed a wake up call, if Southampton didn't do it, this ought to. "do we even need Sancho?" Yes, we fecking do, and a few more too :lol:

The only 2 pieces of good news today are Eric Bailly is fine thankfully, that head injury looked very scary for a moment, and Leicester losing again softens this blow a bit too.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
My take aways from the game:
  • We looked knackered, physically and mentally.
  • Teams that bully us physically throw us off our game.
  • DDG shouldn't play for the rest of the season.
  • Maguire made these weird, slow runs with the ball, when it would have been quicker and more efficient to pass.
  • There was a lot of sideways passing and building up from the back. Today was very reminiscent of LvG's philosophy football.

Rob Corona

DeGea got 8% of the "man of the match" ratings. Thats only 1% off second highest rated player.
Wtf caf, no place for irony here

JoaquinJoaquin

Teams have worked out that we are unable to play out from the back and now press us high, which leads to us making mistakes. Ole needs to change that ASAP.

The Oracle

Mike Dean clearly still butt hurt from us scoring 6 past his beloved Tranmere in the earlier rounds...

Chelsea today committed 21 fouls, and not a single yellow card was shown to them.

Surely that has to be some kind of record in an FA Cup match?

croadyman

played shit in first half but matched them. De Gea then threw 2 in his net and we didn’t recover. Awful performance. Need to make sure we don’t carry it into our last 2 games. De Gea needs dropping.
Yeah we were understandably affected by Bailly's injury but switched off crucially before half time, so if that happens you have to be switched on at the start of the second half and we switched off straight away which killed the game.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Only positive from this match is that our unbeaten run didnt end in a more inportant PL game. Sometimes it will help to get a real downer to regroup and reset mentally, so one doesnt think you are invincible.

Really really wish Ole had rested more players and played Romero.

Also, our CB situation is looking real bad now.
Yep, agree, but there is only one manager. SAF, Klopp, Guardiola have all made poor managerial decisions at one time or another, where they got slated, but by the same token, they get the plaudits when they get the team selection right. If we won 1-0 everyone would have praised Ole for the team he picked, but some basic errors from our defence gave us no chance. Mengi on the bench, or probably TFM, he's looked really good since his return, and CB is his natural position.

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 304 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 40% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea
  • 14% Man Utd 1:2 Chelsea