PL D FA Premier League

Chelsea 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 November 2021

NewUser777

So three of the four most successful clubs of that time just happen to be the three with the most managers and the other is joint 4th.

Point proven!

Also to add further we have had two strong core group of players that saw us through the best part of a decade and are firmly establishing another, there's more than one way to skin a cat. The sooner you feck off this narrative that managers need x amount of unconditional time the better off a club you'll be for it. You had a glorious chance to challenge this season and you've (most likely) squandered it for a manager that was clearly never going to win the a trophy let alone the big two.
No no. You are using the stats all wrong. There are scientific studies out there that it takes a club 6 years on average to create a title winning squad. (This is not made by a couple of examples, but across leagues and all teams) You see, it’s not only putting together a squad, they have to play together also. This is researched mate. While you guys hail your new manager, the groundwork was done long before him. Using a suited limited example doesn’t make a flaw non scientific theory true.

Edit: The studies also show that the fourth years is where teams run into troubles. The clubs who stick with it, they make the leap. If I remember correctly, they used multiple examples, like Klopp and so on..

alexthelion

Carrick comment on RR about the style of play:

And he shows the so-called DNA ADN (whatever the name) playing style in the first half with only one harmless shoot from Bruno :lol::lol::lol:
If that was his idea of attacking football the God help us.

alexthelion

I have read all the comments and to be honest some of them really do show how low some of your expectations have low they have become.

Had that been Brighton or maybe even Burnley then congratulations for the set up and indeed the result but come on you are Manchester Utd . A club with great traditions a hugley talented and expensive squad whoto be perfectly honest shouldn’t be looking at a draw as being a great result

Of course you were a couple of players short, as were we. Of course we are league leaders but with the players out you had a real chance to go toe to toe with us

It does surprise me that so many question the penalty. It was. You kick a player and don’t get the ball when the ref is looking directly at it then it’s going to be given.

I can honestly say I have never seen such a negative approach from a Man Utd team . If that satisfies you then good luck and we’ll done

But and of course it’s a but had you gone a goal down, which really should have been the case, I am not sure what or how you could have changed matters
It's the truth, but it won't go down well in here.

alexthelion

The problem is not the players, it's the coaching staff. We were abysmal against Pool and City and looked like a competent counter attacking side at Chelsea.

At any rate, draw to Chelsea away even during the good times is a decent result, there were many similar performances by Chelsea under Jose, Conte, Lampard and basically every single coach in modern memory.

It was a 50-50 ball and AwB was a millisecond late. It was one of those where if the ref didn't award that pen, VAR wouldn't have gotten involved. I very much doubt it would get called in regular open play if the challenge occurred on the half way line.
You're joking, we were anything but competent.

Teja

You're joking, we were anything but competent.
/shrugs.

They had a bunch of half chances where their players got closed down very quickly, nothing very cut and dry. That's how parking the bus works.

Their biggest chances were the pen (which wasn't a pen) and Rudiger's in the last min.

And the performance was significantly better than the ones against City / Pool, not sure how you can argue with that. City looked like a training exercise for them and Pool cut us open at will.

MrEleson

There wasn't really any glaring misses was there? They certainly didn't have a chance like Fred's.
Hudson-Odoi literally missed a 1-on-1 with De Gea. From where he shot the ball, he should be scoring 10 times out of 10.

Not to mention other clear chances they had.

lex talionis

Yes we did.
Not really. Dave made one exceptional save, two if you count the Rudiger launch from Cape Kennedy.

Time of possession doesn't mean that much to me, nor does "shots on goal". What matters, at least to me, is the number of very good chances on goal. We had the one (I'm not going to count the Fred debacle) and Chelsea had two...if you count the dodgy pk on a play that was going nowhere for Chelsea.

That's not a battering.

We parked the bus and Chelsea dominated possession, but if you're a Chelsea fan you have to be disappointed at the lack of good chances of goal on a United back line which was missing three of its first choice defenders.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I have read all the comments and to be honest some of them really do show how low some of your expectations have low they have become.

Had that been Brighton or maybe even Burnley then congratulations for the set up and indeed the result but come on you are Manchester Utd . A club with great traditions a hugley talented and expensive squad whoto be perfectly honest shouldn’t be looking at a draw as being a great result

Of course you were a couple of players short, as were we. Of course we are league leaders but with the players out you had a real chance to go toe to toe with us

It does surprise me that so many question the penalty. It was. You kick a player and don’t get the ball when the ref is looking directly at it then it’s going to be given.

I can honestly say I have never seen such a negative approach from a Man Utd team . If that satisfies you then good luck and we’ll done

But and of course it’s a but had you gone a goal down, which really should have been the case, I am not sure what or how you could have changed matters
This was written by CFC fan and I am in 100% agreement as a MUFC fan.

Ole is responsible for dropping our expectations so low that even a lucky draw against CFC is seen as some kind of achievement.
We have one of the most expensive squads on the planet and we play like underdogs against every single team we come up against, including the likes of Villa, Everton and Watford.
Against the likes of LFC and MCFC, we got absolutely spanked.
We should not be lining up with our squad, as the underdog. This has come about ever since Ole lost a series of matches after the PSG match win in his first season. And since then, the fans have accepted the low standards.

The sooner Ralf R gets here, the better because the current coaches are absolutely abysmal and incompetent at their job. In any other industry, the likes of Carrick, McKenna, et all, would've been given final written warnings for poor performance and then dismissed.

croadyman

Being happy with a point after a bad spell with an interim manager and being happy with a point as our long term vision for the club are plainly two different things. I know you know the difference and are just stirring the pot, but really, it comes across as pretty dense to claim you don't know the difference.
Go on then Chelsea fan totally shut me up and please say you have been a fan of the club pre 2003. Like others have already said we were hardly going to be gung ho after the recent heavy defeats.

Wilt

Anyone notice Phelan's goal celebrations.......or lack of? :lol: Second game now he hasn't budged when we've scored. Think he's got some beef with Carrick. The Villarreal one was pretty telling.

May be pissed off he wasn’t asked to be caretaker.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Geez man, totally agree we were out classed, but 'countless chances'? No way. Bring up other aspects of the game, that's just not true.
It brought back memory. Against Arsenal, SAF setup the team allowing them having majority of the ball, majority of the shots, but we sucker punched them on the break.

largelyworried

Go on then Chelsea fan totally shut me up and please say you have been a fan of the club pre 2003. Like others have already said we were hardly going to be gung ho after the recent heavy defeats.
Guess you meant to quote someone else?

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
I ‘ll answer that

I am 65 and started supporting Chelsea in 1967 the day after we lost to Spurs in the FA cup.
I had to endure barren years when the majority of my classmates and indeed family followed Utd ( I use that word because none of them had ever been to see more than the odd Man Utd game) not because of geography but because they were winning things like the league and indeed the EC.
Winning a trophy in my formative years was rare in the extreme and it wasn’t until I reached 30 that I could justify the time and expense of a season ticket as opposed to going to the very odd game.
About 3 years ago my nieces husband called me a plastic. Ironic really because he supported Liverpool and had never been to Anfield and started supporting them following their win in Istanbul.
Now a question for you when and why did you start supporting Utd?
Although you probably will deny it I bet it was based on success or indeed size of the club as opposed to geography

Last edited:

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea

Ole is responsible for dropping our expectations so low that even a lucky draw against CFC is seen as some kind of achievement.
We have one of the most expensive squads on the planet and we play like underdogs against every single team we come up against, including the likes of Villa, Everton and Watford.
We should not be lining up with our squad, as the underdog. This has come about ever since Ole lost a series of matches after the PSG match win in his first season. And since then, the fans have accepted the low standards.

The sooner Ralf R gets here, the better because the current coaches are absolutely abysmal and incompetent at their job. In any other industry, the likes of Carrick, McKenna, et all, would've been given final written warnings for poor performance and then dismissed.
Thanks for at least looking objectively at my post.

Far too many took it at as an attack on you getting a point it was not. It was all about the mindset, the ambition that currently is evident at Man Utd.
In effect I was saying that if you are ok with that approach then your mindset and ambition is now on a level of the likes of Brighton and Burnley and that surely is sad.

Last edited:

largelyworried

I find it hard to understand why some fans can't get that a result can be seen as good in one context but not good in another. This isnt a difficult concept.

TheReligion

Abusive

Terrible post. Absolutely no context.

croadyman

I ‘ll answer that

I am 65 and started supporting Chelsea in 1967 the day after we lost to Spurs in the FA cup.
I had to endure barren years when the majority of my classmates and indeed family followed Utd ( I use that word because none of them had ever been to see more than the odd Man Utd game) not because of geography but because they were winning things like the league and indeed the EC.
Winning a trophy in my formative years was rare in the extreme and it wasn’t until I reached 30 that I could justify the time and expense of a season ticket as opposed to going to the very odd game.
About 3 years ago my nieces husband called me a plastic. Ironic really because he supported Liverpool and had never been to Anfield and started supporting them following their win in Istanbul.
Although you probably will deny it I bet it was based on success or indeed size of the club as opposed to geography
I started supporting them around 1991 when I first got into Football because my cousin was a fan. I found myself mesmerised by the club and yeah they aren't my local club by any means, however I did have a Season Ticket around 10 years ago but due to circumstances couldn't afford to keep it going. I certainly can't be beaten with the oh he doesn't even know where Old Trafford is like many of our fans are.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t think anyone on here is thrilled with our performance. At least if they are, I can’t find any posts from them. So all this bonding with Chelsea fans over our negative approach is just cringey.

This is a team that got absolutely fecking humiliated the last two times they played a top team so it’s completely understandable if a) confidence was low and b) we set up mainly with a view to damage limitation.

Taking all of this into account the result was objectively good and the fact DDG didn’t make many saves shows his goal was relatively well protected. So job done. Onwards and upwards from here.

All the bitching about our one and only league game under Michael Carrick serves no purpose whatsoever and is nothing more than a tedious continuation of all the toxic negativity under Ole at a time when we should all be feeling positive after two good results and a top manager very close to taking over. So spare us the fecking moaning. For just one week.

Spoony

The People's President
I don’t think anyone on here is thrilled with our performance. At least if they are, I can’t find any posts from them. So all this bonding with Chelsea fans over our negative approach is just cringey.

This is a team that got absolutely fecking humiliated the last two times they played a top team so it’s completely understandable if a) confidence was low and b) we set up mainly with a view to damage limitation.

Taking all of this into account the result was objectively good and the fact DDG didn’t make many saves shows his goal was relatively well protected. So job done. Onwards and upwards from here.

All the bitching about our one and only league game under Michael Carrick serves no purpose whatsoever and is nothing more than a tedious continuation of all the toxic negativity under Ole at a time when we should all be feeling positive after two good results and a top manager very close to taking over. So spare us the fecking moaning. For just one week.
Yes and we were without three of our regular back four. I find criticism utterly bizarre. From now on fans will have to be very patient...but exciting times are ahead.

OleTheGreat

After all that we heard about Ralf's imminent appointment, his vision and style of football- it was ridiculous to watch that game. It was so boring and one sided. I think we passed over the half line like 2 or 3 times in the whole game were a threat only a couple of times. I know we got a point and it is important at this point in the season but if Ralf saw that, he'd probably laugh at Carrick. I thought for once Carrick would be brave and put out a team that would be something like this
De Gea
AWB Lindelof Bailly Telles
McT/Fred
VDB Bruno
Sancho Ronaldo Rashford

but we all knew what we were getting when we saw the line-up. It was a cowardly act and I genuinely hope Ralf and his staff can change the mindset around OT. Ole might've gotten the tactical stuff wrong but he definitely didn't want to see his boys with their heads so low. Never mind all this, we are entering the era of Gegenpressing/the era of the Professor. Our style will drastically change over the next couple of season and I'm just wishing to come back and watch this Chelsea game in a couple of seasons just to see how good we have gotten under the leadership of the Professor. Potential Good Times ahead!

KingCavani

:lol:

Such nonsense.

There's a lot of projection here. Chelsea were every bit as defensive when they played at home to Man City. Should they have been lining up with their squad and all that money spent as the underdog?

You should really give that CL you won under Di Matteo back if you're so ashamed of defensive football.

United are a team without a coach and are a team that have been badly coached. We're seriously lacking technical quality in midfield and have been opened up at will all season. We tried to play attacking football against Liverpool and we seen how that worked. Nothing wrong with a pragmatic approach under the circumstances. If Chelsea had ever taken a lead we'd have opened up a bit but they were shite so they didn't. Considering the defence has been leaking goals left and right it was wise to keep it tight and hit them on the break. For all Chelsea's possession they had two great chances from open play and they came in right at the start and at the very end during frantic moments. Honestly a pretty pathetic display from them all things considered.

What an embarrassing post and even more embarrassing that a United fan would agree.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Do you not realise that you’re just like your nieces husband? Are you from London is that why you support Chelsea and are they your most local team? United got relegated in the 70’s, so it’s harsh to accuse your classmates of anything if they still supported the club during that time, especially considering Chelsea won a couple of trophies during the early 70’s.

Amir

We were facing a team that is in form and well coached, while we've been suffering from bad coaching for years, are in bad form, low on confidence and have been badly beaten by other top sides we've faced recently when trying to go toe to toe against (and also, not top sides)...

While Manchester United should not be playing like we did, I can understand it under these circumstances.

At the same time, I won't compIiment that performance in any way. It was as basic as it gets, playing like a lower league side while having Manchester United players, focusing on defence and creating nothing (unless Chelsea handed it to us). There's nothing competent about it. It's more like the result of years of incompetence.

So I'll happily take the point, and move on. Nothing else to take from that game at all.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Do you not realise that you’re just like your nieces husband? Are you from London is that why you support Chelsea and are they your most local team? United got relegated in the 70’s, so it’s harsh to accuse your classmates of anything if they still supported the club during that time, especially considering Chelsea won a couple of trophies during the early 70’s.
Yep family and indeed me are indeed originally from South London. Hither Green to be precise.Dads team was Millwall.
Cousins in Bromley were and indeed still say they follow Man Utd and I suspect I have been to Old Trafford more than they have.
Yep you were relegated in the 73/74 by which time I had left school so relegation wasn’t an issue but as I pointed out they had decided on Utd because of the team of the late 60s
No Chelsea aren’t the closest team to where I have ever lived but I suspect that applies for 99.9% of football supporters in terms of which club they follow. Indeed when we go to away games in Manchester we always fly up from Southampton the flight is 75% made up of Utd supporters and when you book in on the return flight 95% of the passengers to all destinations are likewise Utd supporters.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

Such nonsense.

There's a lot of projection here. Chelsea were every bit as defensive when they played at home to Man City. Should they have been lining up with their squad and all that money spent as the underdog?

You should really give that CL you won under Di Matteo back if you're so ashamed of defensive football.

United are a team without a coach and are a team that have been badly coached. We're seriously lacking technical quality in midfield and have been opened up at will all season. We tried to play attacking football against Liverpool and we seen how that worked. Nothing wrong with a pragmatic approach under the circumstances. If Chelsea had ever taken a lead we'd have opened up a bit but they were shite so they didn't. Considering the defence has been leaking goals left and right it was wise to keep it tight and hit them on the break. For all Chelsea's possession they had two great chances from open play and they came in right at the start and at the very end during frantic moments. Honestly a pretty pathetic display from them all things considered.

What an embarrassing post and even more embarrassing that a United fan would agree.
None of us at the game we’re happy with that approach and . On the day it suprised us with that approach and when we went a goal down the game was gone. Now re read my earlier comment

RedPed

Whatabouter.
May be pissed off he wasn’t asked to be caretaker.
Even fecking Phil Jones is up celebrating and he must have more reason than anybody in the whole club to be pissed.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I will answer this by posting the match stats.
Anybody who knows anything about football knows that we were comprehensively outplayed in every way, except for goals scored.

Anybody who knows anything about football knows stats without context is incredibly lazy and the person citing them are usually lacking in knowledge of the game.

Who cares about 24 shots when 21/22 of them were uneventful? Possession around half way line and outside the box also means feck all.

We were rarely stressed at the back. Battered, most certainly not.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yep family and indeed me are indeed originally from South London. Hither Green to be precise.Dads team was Millwall.
Cousins in Bromley were and indeed still say they follow Man Utd and I suspect I have been to Old Trafford more than they have.
Yep you were relegated in the 73/74 by which time I had left school so relegation wasn’t an issue but as I pointed out they had decided on Utd because of the team of the late 60s
No Chelsea aren’t the closest team to where I have ever lived but I suspect that applies for 99.9% of football supporters in terms of which club they follow. Indeed when we go to away games in Manchester we always fly up from Southampton the flight is 75% made up of Utd supporters and when you book in on the return flight 95% of the passengers to all destinations are likewise Utd supporters.
If your dad supports Millwall why don’t you? I always find that really strange.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I ‘ll answer that

I'm extremely moved by your story.

Ludens the Red

I ‘ll answer that

Always cracks me up this. Modern football supporters still banging on about supporting local team, glory hunting, this, that.
Teams with Russian and Arab owners, Italian and German managers, a squad containing about 20 non English men.
Talking about growing up with no success or supporting your local club, well done, congratulations. Well done for being born where you were born and supporting the team nearest to where you were born. Congratulations. Well done for supporting your club when they weren’t winning trophies, so unique that.

Stig

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Did anyone else notice that when broke for the goal, Sancho has the ball and Rashford runs almost half the length of the pitch with him, and is constantly in an offshore position ?

Am I wrong here ? If I am correct it is schoolboy football from Rashford and could quite easily have cost us the goal with Sancho's unable to play to him if needed.

Sancho scores in Stamford Bridge draw | Chelsea 1-1 Manchester United | Premier League - YouTube
It’s been covered here he actually wasn’t offside, I thought he was off too.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 301 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 17% Chelsea 2:0 Man Utd
  • 12% Chelsea 2:1 Man Utd