PL D FA Premier League

Chelsea 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 November 2021

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I thought we were decent. Definitely fought a lot harder than in previous weeks.

Granted, the bar is comically low.

NICanRed

This was 10th place playing the league leaders.

When the boat is sinking it is best to try to stop the leak and then start baling.

Silva (who doesn't get the ball) tries to trip or block AWB (who does get the ball) Penalty?

Pretty? No! Will I take it? You bet!

Werner. Ha Ha Ha!

Sancho. That's how to finish. Well done.

Fts 74

When do we ever play well down there?

The team is low on confidence, going through a terrible run I thought it was an excellent point.

Chelsea weren't all that we handled them pretty well, people may go on about possession, corners etc but the truth is they didn't have loads of clear cut chances.

There's light at the end of the tunnel, beat Arsenal and kick on hopefully.

bugmat

Bailly, Sancho, Fred, DDG - brilliant. Bruno, Rashford, AwB - off the boil. Everyone else ok.

Good draw overall given the circumstances going into the game.

bugmat

We are so poor, but we'll take a point.

Think we had 3 shots to Chelsea's 22, so let's not pretend we are improving.
They only had 8 on target though but definitely was a hard earned point. Hopefully we will be better on the return match at OT.

RedDF

Always positive getting a point away at Chelsea. We never do well there.

RazorOz

Carrick's subs were awful. He took off any threat we had in behind at a time we were having our best spell in the match, and replaced them with 2 players who were never going to replicate what they were doing, and we lost any threat we did have after, that and we weren't posing much threat to begin with. It felt like making subs for the sake of making subs with no idea of what impact they'd have on the game.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
@Pogue Mahone

Realised another reason I included that line about German pressing - RBL. Frightening to play against at times, but no flair at all!

Someone in the Guardian comments pointed out that Rangnick played 35-year-old Raul at Schalke, which is a good sign that it won't be all automatons.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The result is good, the performance is not.

I'm still mad about Fred missing that chance though.
The other one being lingard who decided to dribble past 3 players in injury time on the edge of chelsea's penalty box when we had 3 players on the break inside waiting for a simple pass or cross. Instead of doing the easy thing lingard got caught out and they nearly scored at the other end because of it.

KingCavani

Interesting that after all the talk of Ole leaving us in a better place that our best performers today were mostly signed under Jose.

We spent £130m on Maguire and AWB precisely because they were supposed to safer signings than going for the cheaper continental options. The CB’s were better wihout Maguire and AWB looks completely out of his depth.

Will Singh

Fred was fantastic but unfortunately he’ll only be remembered for that chip he attempted but I’d take a draw away to Chelsea anytime!

Glorio

Sancho and Rashford baring down on Jorginho and then the Chelsea goal was a sight to behold

Pickle85

Bit disappointing that we didn't offer more. Chelsea are different class to us at the mo but at times it did feel more like watching Chelsea Vs Southampton or similar. Still, plucky underdog performance... let's hope better days to come.

Kostov

From getting embarrassed by Watford 4:1 to barely getting a draw away at Chelsea I guess it’s an improvement of a very sad state of affairs. We were outplayed and outclassed by a team probably lacking 4-5 first teamers, and people are praising individual performances like we won the game. Defense was lacking, midfield fought hard yet was outplayed, the attack miserable as always, we need to improve fast under this new manager, and will probably get spanked by Arsenal.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
A very lucky result, but I'll take it.
Just take a look at the comparison below, in the number of shots.
Every single game we play, we are the underdog and it is getting tiresome. Even when we played a relegation team the other day, we were the underdog and got spanked.
I am hoping that Ralf R can turn us around, because at this moment in time, we have been one of the biggest spenders in the transfer market, yet we are playing as the underdog in every match.

RazorOz

From getting embarrassed by Watford 4:1 to barely getting a draw away at Chelsea I guess it’s an improvement of a very sad state of affairs. We were outplayed and outclassed by a team probably lacking 4-5 first teamers, and people are praising individual performances like we won the game. Defense was lacking, midfield fought hard yet was outplayed, the attack miserable as always, we need to improve fast under this new manager, and will probably get spanked by Arsenal.
Arsenal are awful and and are nothing to fear imo.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Agreed with all points.
The problem is that Ole has lowered the standards of our fanbase so low that even when we get comprehensively outplayed by Chelsea (previously, we'd go toe-to-toe with them), our fans are happy with the result.

TrueRed79

Fred was absolutely unreal today. Can't believe i typed that but kudos to him. Played higher up the pitch and it's suits him.

justsomebloke

In context: We're a team coming off a period where we've been butchers meat to anyone, and have leaked goals like a sieve. After the past two, we've two good results, have stabilised defensively and are no longer easy to play against. New manager comes in to a team that is no longer in acute crisis and panic mode, and there's maybe something to build from. Mission accomplished.

Out of immediate context: If any United manager that wasn't a temp for a temp had the team playing like this for any length of time, he'd be booted out of town. Both of the last two games, the plan was plainly "stay organised, stay in the game and hope for something on a counter". We all know what sort of teams habitually go into games with a plan like that - they're the ones you encounter first when you read the table from bottom up. With the exception of the last 20 minutes against Vilarreal, in terms of building something with the ball, these games have been as awful as anything I can remember under the last two managers. It may be pulling out of the nosedive, but it sure as hell is not pointing a way forward.

So, let's applaud Carrick here, and at the same time be very thankful someone else is going to be at the wheel very shortly.

Zed 101

It shows the state of our defence and midfield that we effectively have to play 6 across the back without the ball, maybe Rangnick can get a different tune from some players, the romantic in me wants McT to bloom into the second coming of Robbo or Keane but in reality I think Butt or Fletcher will be his zenith.

Today was a goal short of embarrassing, there are "far worse" teams in the league, certainly that should be worse, but are capable of playing better, right now we have no shape, no cohesion, to be honest we got nothing other than an embarrassment of attacking players that are able to occasionally paper over some cracks.

RazorOz

Not as awful as ours lot.
I really don't think they're any better. They've been destroyed like us whenever they've played anyone good, and have been lucky in a number of games to have as many points as they have.

cyberman

I know it is a draw but how did we play today?
It was shit a shit game to be honest. Both fans would have felt tension but the neutral would have hated it. Little happened in front of goal but I always feel that’s on the home side to remedy.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'm not sure what game people watched but we were shite. We could have been 2-0 down after 3 minutes and it took until the second half for us to have anything even resembling an attack.

Best you can say is the defending was better than in most of our recent games but then you'd expect it to be with an 11 man defence and no Maguire oafing about, and it still wasn't good enough to justify his much pressure we out ourselves under. I can think of at least 7-8 times Chelsea could easily have scored not including the penalty.

The tactics made no sense. Press from the front but play Matic so it would be impossible for the midfield to push up.

It was just the same as all season. Just relying on pure luck and/or one of our forwards doing something spectacular.

It wasn't a shambles like at Watford but I'm not sure when the bar got so low that anything above that was acceptable.

I wasn't expecting anything spectacular either but that performance wasn't any kind of progress. It was another 90 minutes of shite masked by a decent result handed to us mostly through Chelsea's own incompetence.

Eddy_JukeZ

Good result.

But that performance was awful as expected. We shouldn't have drawn that at all. I really hope Rangnick improves us enough so when we hire someone in the summer, we start going toe-to-toe with the big teams.

Literally sick and tired of watching us set up like a relegation side against the best teams. It's a disgrace how far we've fallen from the top sides.

Wing Attack Plan R

It shows the state of our defence and midfield that we effectively have to play 6 across the back without the ball, maybe Rangnick can get a different tune from some players, the romantic in me wants McT to bloom into the second coming of Robbo or Keane but in reality I think Butt or Fletcher will be his zenith.

Today was a goal short of embarrassing, there are "far worse" teams in the league, certainly that should be worse, but are capable of playing better, right now we have no shape, no cohesion, to be honest we got nothing other than an embarrassment of attacking players that are able to occasionally paper over some cracks.
If we played 6 across the back, then they played 7, with 3 CBs, 2 wingbacks, and 2 holding mids. While missing 3 of our first choice back 4, we did well to keep them out except for a wrongly awarded penalty. Also, Butt and Fletcher were both instrumental in several trophies, I'd love it if McT reached their heights.

MrSingh2002

To score first and concede is annoying but we could have lost 4.0 too.

Van de Beek should have been on earlier or started as Bruno is shocking this season.

I hope Rangnick likes Sancho, VdB, Telles, Pogba, Cavani and Ronaldo.

Would love to see a team with all of them in.

Ronaldo Greenwood
Sancho
Pogba VdB
Fred
Telles Varane Maguire AWB
De Gea

Ronaldo and Cavani can rotate with Rashford and Greenwood to have one young and one experienced combos.

Sancho can rotate with Bruno.

Pogba and VdB can rotate with Matic and McTominay.

Telles can rotate with Shaw.

Our squad is better than Ole and Carrick have made out. I feel Rangnick will do very well for the rest of the season.

Ragnick will know what our squad and lineup is missing ready for a summer of spending on completing the squad to challenge for the league next season.

Mark my words....

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Anyone notice Phelan's goal celebrations.......or lack of? :lol: Second game now he hasn't budged when we've scored. Think he's got some beef with Carrick. The Villarreal one was pretty telling.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 301 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 17% Chelsea 2:0 Man Utd
  • 12% Chelsea 2:1 Man Utd