PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:1 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Thu, 25 May 2023

caid

That Chelsea team is hideously organised. Every attack they're throwing six or seven players in or around the box and none of them can score or create. Then when they inevitably give the ball away they've got 3 defenders.
They were pretty good in patches today, usually in parts of the pitch that dont matter in the slightest.
They're not a very good team but they're playing in an utterly stupid way.

tjb

We don’t offer any threat with sancho and Antony starting
Actually think sancho was half decent when he moved to the right
Good time to sell him while he still has some value. I reckon he'd be a good player in Serie A

Fts 74

Awful game. Could have been fecking 8-8 by half time. We play like that in the cup final it’ll be bloody murder, thank god Chelsea are soooo shit.

Anyway… good result, chuffed to make top four after our start, never would’ve thought and Casemiro was mustard, my MOTM and probably player of the season.

Get new owners (whoever that may be, hopefully they do a good job) and things are looking good.
I must of watched a different game than you 8-8 at half time?
We'll be fine in the cup final stop this nonsense that we'll get battered
I despair with the caf sometimes so feckin negative all the time no matter what thread I go in.

Jam

That Chelsea team is hideously organised. Every attack they're throwing six or seven players in or around the box and none of them can score or create. Then when they inevitably give the ball away they've got 3 defenders.
They were pretty good in patches today, usually in parts of the pitch that dont matter in the slightest.
They're not a very good team but they're playing in an utterly stupid way.
There was a lot of:

> Chelsea get possession
>5 or 6 players bomb forward
>No one shows for the ball or drops, they all just advance past active play
>Chelsea man in possession is now isolated facing a press alone, and has to turn and play backwards or pick a pass sideways... or try a hail mary forwards

Ted Lasso

Saw the best and worst of this team all in one match. Wound up on the right side of results with CL qualification. I'll take it. Fantastic achievement for Rashford

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Nor every half chance should have been converted. If that was the case matches would have 12 goals or so in average.
Us United fans have been slagging off our players all season for not scoring chances like these, in the PL you don't get many better ones!

acnumber9

I know some people think a good manager will sort that Chelsea side but I’m not sure. That squad is rancid. They’ve been taken to the cleaners on a good lot of those signings. Mudryk looks a pub player and Fofana no better.

Ibrahimorich

Very weird game of football. Comfortable win in the end but they did miss 2 open goals. If we play like that against city, we'll get dicked. Still, very happy to qualify for the CL with a game to spare.

To think, I was actually worried because chelsea are usually a bogey team! Lampard is hilariously bad.

croadyman

Felt very similar to the 4-0 under Solskjaer,well until Felix popped up with consolation. Friendly looking convo between Erik and Ziyech at the end of game too

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Said it before, there's a place for Maguire in that Chelsea's defence.

tenpoless

Mudryk came with a reputation of a top technical player. But after watching him with my own eyes I dont see anything he has that Elanga can't provide.

always_hoping

Didn't Ole's United beat Frank's original Chelsea 4-0? :wenger:
Before tonight the Last five Premier league meetings between the two was five draws (1-1,1-1,1-1,0-0,0-0)

Last Man United win in Old Trafford against Chelsea was 2019 (4-0) when Frank Lampard was manager for the blues. Last home league loss to Chelsea was ten years ago 1-0 and certain Juan Mata scoring the only goal, Lampard started that match.

croadyman

Could have scored 8, need to be more clinical. Looked too lax defending though, need to tighten that up.

Eriksen doesn't offer much defending. We look lightweight in midfield
Who should we sign to partner Casa because there is no doubt we need more solidity in these kind of games

colombianmancunian

Martial is so wasteful it’s not even funny. Seriously number 9 has to be our biggest priority for summer.

What do we know about Antony’s injury? Will he be available for FA Cup?

ExoduS

Only 4 pages so far after this amazing win!? This board is becoming more and more about everything but United. Great win today!!! Missed the game cause of work, but delighted to see that we trashed them. Too bad we conceded at the end as 4-0 would be fitting.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Only 4 pages so far after this amazing win!? This board is becoming more and more about everything but United. Great win today!!! Missed the game cause of work, but delighted to see that we trashed them. Too bad we conceded at the end as 4-0 would be fitting.
Lotta folks are in bed 'cos they have to work tomorrow

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Bissaka was very good. He should take a shot sometimes though. He'd have at least 5 goals a season.

NLunited

Abysmal game, good result.If we play like this against City, we lose. But we won’t play like this.

Chelsea has a lot of exciting young players. With a great manager and time they could be very good.

Cantonagotmehere

It's pathetic. I don't get any negative posts after today. We just got back into the Champions League for feck sake and Liverpool are out. Enjoy it.

bringbackbebe

Mudryk came with a reputation of a top technical player. But after watching him with my own eyes I dont see anything he has that Elanga can't provide.
I was thinking the same thing. For a "technical player", his body positioning is completely off & seems to lack basic intelligence when playing. He probably relied on brute pace and his dribbling skills in the Ukranian league but if that worked in the premier league, Adama Traore & Saint-Maximin woulda knocked in 50+ goal contributions a season.

Eastdog

Happy to have qualified for the Champions League next season. Erik Ten hag has done a great job in his first season in charge winning us the League cup and taking us to an FA Cup final as well. We still have plenty of work to do if we are going to genuinely challenge Man City going forward. We have the money but need to spend it on the right players.

Coops73

I must of watched a different game than you 8-8 at half time?
We'll be fine in the cup final stop this nonsense that we'll get battered
I despair with the caf sometimes so feckin negative all the time no matter what thread I go in.
I’m taking the piss obviously but they had 4-5 really good chance’s the likes of which Haaland and co will not miss, that’s not being negative that’s a fecking fact and if you can’t see that then I despair at your eyesight.

I don’t think we will get battered BUT if we play like we did in the first half against this city side in the cup final we will.

croadyman

I’m taking the piss obviously but they had 4-5 really good chance’s the likes of which Haaland and co will not miss, that’s not being negative that’s a fecking fact and if you can’t see that then I despair at your eyesight.

I don’t think we will get battered BUT if we play like we did in the first half against this city side in the cup final we will.
Yeah a first half like that in the FA Cup Final and we will definitely get heavily punished

NICanRed

I tend to agree but Haaland did miss a few the other day. I'd like to think he's going off the boil although he did eventually score only for VAR to catch him!!

Micky Targaryen

Didn't catch the game and only managed to watch the highlights. Chelsea had quite a number of good looks and chances in the first half. Game could've gone either way and glad that we managed to be clinical in the second half. Clinical chances aside, we have to perform much much better esp in midfield if we were to have the slightest chance to beat City.

Josh 76

Didn't catch the game and only managed to watch the highlights. Chelsea had quite a number of good looks and chances in the first half. Game could've gone either way and glad that we managed to be clinical in the second half. Clinical chances aside, we have to perform much much better esp in midfield if we were to have the slightest chance to beat City.
It was a strange game. It should have been 8-6 with all the chances missed. Play like that against City, it will be humiliation!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Thought we were very good in the second half although part of that was down to how truly awful Chelsea were - I had no idea there were that bad.

Casemiro was excellent and I think this was close to Bruno's best game of the season (possibly the best). Also very good yet again was Lindelof (he must be the back-up next season) and Varane is just so calm it's crazy. Comparing him to Maguire is like comparing Einstein to Trump. rashford woke up after half time and was good, and Sancho was more involved in the second half too. I thought Antony worried them before he got injured and Fred and McT were OK when they came on.

Negatives? Martial was awful yet again and I can't help thinking DDG should have got a hand on Felix's shot - on that front, felix looks good... I do wonder if he could play alongside Kane!

All in all, a much easier night than I was expecting and not in my wildest dreams did I think we could finish third (not that we have yet) this season. 41 wins for ETH is remarkable, just a shame a few more weren't in the PL (or europa).

one final point: what a differnece Garnacho made when he came on - so direct, so pacy. needs to play in the cup final

Man of the Match

Casemiro image Casemiro 84% of 259 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 238 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw