EL D Europa League Round of 32 - 1st Leg

Club Brugge 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 20 February 2020

Falcow

Poor match, livened up by Bruno. Hope the penny drops with Ole and he realises you cant play Mata Lingard and Periera in the same side. All are woefully poor and need selling or given away end of the season
Agree with this. I would be happy to see all three released at end of season, Periera maybe has something to offer on the right hand side for squad depth but not in the centre of midfield. Mata and lingard offer nothing and really need to go.

Ok result considering those three started. Ighalo looks off the pace and seems to be carrying a bit of weight but maybe that's my imagination.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
When performing shite in PL matches I hope at times that it's simply because the other PL teams have gotten so strong, so it's days like these where I fully realize how pathetic we are.
We just came off a solid 2-0 victory at Stanford Bridge, with the First XI. That same roster will play against Watford so we can secure 3 points and get back into CL contention.

Isn't that a better idea than harrowing your entire starting XI every single game?

K_Ash

When performing shite in PL matches I hope at times that it's simply because the other PL teams have gotten so strong, so it's days like these where I fully realize how pathetic we are.
and then you saw the last 10 minutes with Bruno, Fred playing 4-3-3

ReddBalls

Could you imagine us in the champions league? We would have been spanked if we put on a similar performance. Anyway, we got the crucial away goal. No way Brugge beat us at old Trafford. Would have enjoyed a good performance and a win instead, but I need to set my expectations lower under this management
Ole would never put out a second string team in the Champions League. Moot point.

ex and

Under Ole we show no improvement. One step forward and then one step backward. Anyone who continually picks Pereira doesnt deserve to be our manager. Apparently this was Lingard 200th match for us...unbelievable!

K_Ash

Under Ole we show no improvement. One step forward and then one step backward. Anyone who continually picks Pereira doesnt deserve to be our manager. Apparently this was Lingard 200th match for us...unbelievable!
he has no other option..Gomes&them are not ready... he is not crazy, he sees the ineffectiveness of Pereira but must rest Fred...who else is he supposed to play???We did sign Bruno for a reason

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Disappointing starting team. Satisfying finish.
Not beat, away goal, players rested, lingard testimonial.
Result, as they say.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Decent result I suppose. Awful game. We looked absolutely woeful before Martial's goal. I suppose that's how it goes without a midfield. Glad some key players got a rest as they're going to need it with the pile up of games.

Godfather

The thing is. Liverpool are winning things with heir B and C team. Because they are properly managed and coached from head to toe. And yes I know they lost against Atletico. But I guess they would beat Brügge even with their second team. We aren't. Because we have no proper coaching. No cohesion. Nothing.

Last edited:

Crimson King

The thing is. Liverpool are winning things with heir B and C team. Because they are properly managed and coached from head to toe. And yes I know they drew against Atletico. But I guess they would beat Brügge even with their second team. We aren't. Because we have no proper coaching. No cohesion. Nothing.
They got beat mate, and Atleti have a few injury problems.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Just feel were a very average team.

As time goes by I'm going more in the Pogba is never coming back camp and since rashford might not as well this is as good as it gets.

I think we'll get by them at OT, but if we play a teams that's a step up we'll go out.

Cliche Guevara

Ole actually did well given he picked the worst possible team that could have got a result.

Precision decision making.

Crimson King

My fault but they are a different kind of opponent. We should be winning these games or at least look more threatening. We are so poorly coached it's rudi.
I do somewhat agree, but Klopp is a far superior coach and some of our squad players just aren't up to scratch.

There was a marked difference when Bruno came on. It shouldn't have needed that, but that's where we are at the moment and it's shit.

Godfather

I do somewhat agree, but Klopp is a far superior coach and some of our squad players just aren't up to scratch.

There was a marked difference when Bruno came on. It shouldn't have needed that, but that's where we are at the moment and it's shit.
I agree. Anyway I apologize for that rant. Was watching from a pub and I'm properly pissed.

norm87cro

For me the only negative thing is the Romero blunder. His first for us. Otherwise we got an away goal and a positive result using squad players (or generally not good enough players) in a tedious euro away game that is a part of our long schedule. Despite everything Ole's gamble paid of.

Last edited:

OhGee

Quite frankly I cannot understand why Ole and his brilliant coaching staff think that 3 at the back against a team like Brugge is the right formation, unless he was settling for a draw from the start in which case he should be fired for even letting a thought like thought cross his mind.

We are Manchester United set up to play like Stoke City and there are fans out there who are satisfied with the result - is this is the level that we are forced onto now as fans? Sitting back against mediocre opposition and creating limited to zero clear cut chances. Living off mediocre results against bang average teams in Europe’s B-rated competition.

I’m okay with the squad rotation and resting key players. I’m not okay with setting up to play defensively against this type of opposition. Oh and blaming the weather which only seemed to hail on our players is hilarious. Please please Ole redeem yourself by either showing us the same style of football you had us playing during the first 3 months or step down and let someone else with a little more coaching ability take over.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
That really was an awful lineup. Result wasn't bad, the performance was terrible but given how much deadwood we had on the pitch it's not surprising. We looked like we just couldn't be bothered for the first 30 mins though, and that's unacceptable given how many fresh players were on the pitch.

I'm still not convinced by this 3 at the back formation. I hope it's just Ole trying to build around what he has, as opposed to it being his long term plan for us.

dogwithabone

Bar the odd performance, which you’d expect on the law of averages, watching us away from home in Europe has been generally tedious and boring for 25-30 years now. Under Fergie it was a terrible watch in away European legs and it’s got no better over the years.

I watched The Chase instead.

Amir

1) The lack of coaching quality means we're carried - or not carried - by the quality of our players.

2) The injuries to three important players and lack of squad depth means we're too thinly spread over three competitions.

Under these circumstances, I don't think it was so terrible to use this match in order to give some of our weaker players a game and rest others, knowing our opponents are not top class and that we don't actually have to win the game as there's a second leg. Sort of a match we need to get off the fixtures list without too much damage, rather than gain.

Of course, Manchester United shouldn't have a manager or a squad that are so lacking. But that wasn't going to be fixed tonight.

lex talionis

I wasn't able to watch the game but it seems to me we have a much better shot at getting back to the CL through the EL rather than hitting fourth (or fifth) in the PL.

I'd hate to see us get dropped by Brugge because we went soft on then when we could have have driven a stake in their heart in the first leg.

If the away goals rule still prevails in the EL, if they score 2 at Old Trafford we'll have to score 4 to go through.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Well that was quite the low quality game. It is also powerful to watch that and realise just exactly how far behind the squad could be at this point without McTominay, Martial, Rashford, Bissaka, James, Greenwood, Williams, Shaw, Maguire, Fred having either improved greatly or been newly recruited to the first team with a good start.

wolvored

Quite frankly I cannot understand why Ole and his brilliant coaching staff think that 3 at the back against a team like Brugge is the right formation, unless he was settling for a draw from the start in which case he should be fired for even letting a thought like thought cross his mind.

We are Manchester United set up to play like Stoke City and there are fans out there who are satisfied with the result - is this is the level that we are forced onto now as fans? Sitting back against mediocre opposition and creating limited to zero clear cut chances. Living off mediocre results against bang average teams in Europe’s B-rated competition.

I’m okay with the squad rotation and resting key players. I’m not okay with setting up to play defensively against this type of opposition. Oh and blaming the weather which only seemed to hail on our players is hilarious. Please please Ole redeem yourself by either showing us the same style of football you had us playing during the first 3 months or step down and let someone else with a little more coaching ability take over.
I fully agree with you. The team were set up to get a 0-0 imo. No quality in midfield until Bruno came on.

ReddBalls

I fully agree with you. The team were set up to get a 0-0 imo. No quality in midfield until Bruno came on.
Why is that sackable? It is a two-legged game in a period where the club plays 7 games in 21 days. Rotation is paramount. I'd say the gamble played off. United even have the advantage before the second leg.

wolvored

I wasn't able to watch the game but it seems to me we have a much better shot at getting back to the CL through the EL rather than hitting fourth (or fifth) in the PL.

I'd hate to see us get dropped by Brugge because we went soft on then when we could have have driven a stake in their heart in the first leg.

If the away goals rule still prevails in the EL, if they score 2 at Old Trafford we'll have to score 4 to go through.
I think its the other way around. I think we have an easier chance of getting 5th after beating Chelsea, then beating the teams left in the Europa League.

wolvored

Why is that sackable? It is a two-legged game in a period where the club plays 7 games in 21 days. Rotation is paramount. I'd say the gamble played off. United even have the advantage before the second leg.
What? I never said anything about sackable. Look at what I bolded. Thats what I was answering.

Litch

That team.....not sure why the signings didn't start given they have barely played for us.....

ReddBalls

What? I never said anything about sackable. Look at what I bolded. Thats what I was answering.
I thought you agreed to the whole post, which held that setting up for å draw was a sackable offense. My bad.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Could you imagine us in the champions league? We would have been spanked if we put on a similar performance. Anyway, we got the crucial away goal. No way Brugge beat us at old Trafford. Would have enjoyed a good performance and a win instead, but I need to set my expectations lower under this management
They don't need to. They got a 2-2 draw in Madrid and I'm sure they can at Old Trafford.

talking robot

I think this was a good result with a weakened side. It’s obvious we werent going to be great, but happy enough with the away goal. And now we go into the weekend fully charged.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That team.....not sure why the signings didn't start given they have barely played for us.....
Not sure on Ighalo. Guessing Fernandes has been playing a lot.

Plus Ole seems to like taking these risks sometimes.

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 209 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brugge win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Brugge 0:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Brugge 1:1 Man Utd