EL D Europa League Round of 32 - 1st Leg

Club Brugge 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 20 February 2020

Son

We didn’t really get playing till the 80th minute so a draw was a good result.

In all honesty we needed to field a weak side. The squad just isn’t capable of challenging on more than one front this season. Our backups aren’t right for the system we usually play.

Essentially Wan Bissaka, Fred, Bruno, Rashford and Pogba are irreplaceable and we have zero players like them style wise on the bench. Greenwood was also a miss.

Dalot - I’m not sure what position he should play on the right. Strange player. What is he even good at? He runs but not very fast and not a lot else...

hobbers

Dalot - I’m not sure what position he should play on the right. Strange player. What is he even good at? He runs but not very fast and not a lot else...
He's the Jesse Lingard of right backs.

jimmyb2000

I wasn't able to watch the game but it seems to me we have a much better shot at getting back to the CL through the EL rather than hitting fourth (or fifth) in the PL.

I'd hate to see us get dropped by Brugge because we went soft on then when we could have have driven a stake in their heart in the first leg.

If the away goals rule still prevails in the EL, if they score 2 at Old Trafford we'll have to score 4 to go through.
Err........ if they score 2 at OT then we'd need to score 3 to go through not 4.

But if they do score 2 at OT then they'll go through as I'm not sure we could score 3 goals at home.

always_hoping

They don't need to. They got a 2-2 draw in Madrid and I'm sure they can at Old Trafford.
Indeed and Aston Villa not so along ago managed a 2-2 draw in Old Trafford. A bit of a daft statement from Pochettino mother when you consider much worse teams than Brugge in Burnley, Palace have already beaten United at home this season.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Awful game to watch, but you got a draw and rested key players for the league. Nothing to complain about - no point in saying it was rubbish when you field Pereira, Lingard, Matic and Mata. 1-1 away is a good result to take back to OT, job done I'd say.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Awful game to watch, but you got a draw and rested key players for the league. Nothing to complain about - no point in saying it was rubbish when you field Pereira, Lingard, Matic and Mata. 1-1 away is a good result to take back to OT, job done I'd say.
We'll find a way to make it hard for ourselves, historically we do, if they score first, even if they score one before we get three it could be a long nervy night.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
We'll find a way to make it hard for ourselves, historically we do, if they score first, even if they score one before we get three it could be a long nervy night.
:D
Without a doubt you're right, but given the team fielded I'd reckon Ole would have bitten your hand off for a draw and an away goal

zenith

We rested key players so we should have a very fresh midfield for the weekend, provided Mctominay starts.

Even martial got a bit of a breather and kept up his goal momentum as well.

Ighalo got some game time and I'm hoping greenwood will be fit soon, so all in all it was a decent night.

I swear some of our fans have too much of a sense of entitlement, expecting a performance with that pitch and lingard, Andreas, mata and matic starting against half decent team.

Class of 63

Sourness
:D
Without a doubt you're right, but given the team fielded I'd reckon Ole would have bitten your hand off for a draw and an away goal
Yeah but once he had it he was desperate for the security of a second, because he knows Old Trafford is the best place on the planet to play if you're ahead at home after a score-draw away, but also the worst if the tie is level and the opposition scores first.

If they score first, and they're not a great side I think they'll go through.

Hughes35

Really good result and decent performance considering the absolute shite that was in the team.

Pretty pleased but will be furious if we play that team in the home tie. the Europa is a big competition, especially for us.

sourdough satellite

He needs to be loaned out for next season; it's the only way we'll get to see what we got in him.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
We rested key players so we should have a very fresh midfield for the weekend, provided Mctominay starts.

Even martial got a bit of a breather and kept up his goal momentum as well.

Ighalo got some game time and I'm hoping greenwood will be fit soon, so all in all it was a decent night.

I swear some of our fans have too much of a sense of entitlement, expecting a performance with that pitch and lingard, Andreas, mata and matic starting against half decent team.
Spot on - decent result. We were poor at times but we had a weak team out there apart from Tony and the the back 4/5. Horrible playing conditions, got to rest some players, away goal (which was quality). Ready for Watford.

jackal&hyde

Half decent performance given the away game and the opposition. 2 players made it much more difficult then need be, Brandon and Lingard.

We should have no problem going through.

Cockney Phil

Some of our players looked unable play even against such poor opponents. Bruno is very adaptable, he has already descended to our level of pathetic free kicks. Their goal was a joke, another moment of bizarre defending. Our goal was even funnier. The rest was a classic of Europa mediocrity.

So much for a winter break - games every 3 days.

SoCross

What was the formation we were playing in? Shaw was like a central midfielder at times when we had the ball. Think this shape has potential but really needs the front three to be on the money.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Why there isn't a rating pad for the manager? Anyone thinks it's a good idea?
It's a wonderful idea. If there is one thing this place is lacking it's a platform for people to criticise the manager. Someone should start a thread.......

Dan_F

What was the formation we were playing in? Shaw was like a central midfielder at times when we had the ball. Think this shape has potential but really needs the front three to be on the money.
Shaw was the third central defender, but was definitely the one given the license to push up. I don’t have a problem with it, I really don’t like it when we play three actual centre backs, not many teams do that anymore.

Not convinced any of our wing backs are attacking enough to play the system effectively though.

Alabaster Codify7

Saw some 'highlights'. No real opinion on the game, apart from this:

The Europa League is fecking AWFUL. It's the most dull, lifeless football tournament I've ever seen and I've felt that way since we first started featuring in it again, recently. Its like the majority of teams view it as a hindrance and nobody can be fecking arsed, and it seems to last for an eternity from start to finish. I cannot stand this competition - part of me would actually be relieved when Ole finishes outside of the Europa places because I would much rather a new manager focuses on hitting the CL spots with no distractions.

I think we'll comfortably win the return leg, 2-0. But the first real team we meet will be knocking us out.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
it's worth noting that this same Brugge team played 2-2 v Real Madrid at Santiago Bernabeu. I'm not saying that they are a world beater team by any means, but it's not a backwater pushover club either.

The game was played in what was essentially a river falling from the sky, wettest game of the season. Same for everyone yes, but certainly affects quality overall

romufc

I don't know what fans expect when they see Mata, Perreira, Lingard in one team.

Perreira was meant to play CM, Fred played the position better in 10 minutes than Perreira did all game.

Ole wants to play counter attack football, but there was no pace in the team?

There should have been changed at half time, Lingard should never get 90 minutes again.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Away from home, an away goal, actually not a bad result, I think people seemed to have missed this.
Was it a great performance? No, but we have the advantage.

romufc

The people who are happy with the result last night shows one how our standards have been dropped.

Getting a 1-1 result in a knockout game in the Europa League.

Ole had an easy half time team talk. On these performances, we do not deserve to be in the CL

Pretty obvious result with that XI in mind. There's no reason to tire a few of the players early on it the 2nd half of the season. Still sad how little quality our depth has.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
It is a good result for us, when you watch opposition teams who are clearly 17 players hungry to want to play games and win them and you watch our lot who are clearly broken and just doing whatever they feel like a result like this isn't the worst thing in the world heading back home.

Class of 63

Sourness
The people who are happy with the result last night shows one how our standards have been dropped.

Getting a 1-1 result in a knockout game in the Europa League.

Ole had an easy half time team talk. On these performances, we do not deserve to be in the CL
Maybe some of us have just got better memories, for every memorable night away from home in Europe over the last 3 decades there have been 4 or 5 abject performances away in Europe be it the Champions League, Cup Winners Cup or Europa League.

romufc

Maybe some of us have just got better memories, for every memorable night away from home in Europe over the last 3 decades there have been 4 or 5 abject performances away in Europe be it the Champions League, Cup Winners Cup or Europa League.
Not saying there haven't, but this is not the first of the season, we have put such performances all season. What makes us confident that we can do the job at home?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Not saying there haven't, but this is not the first of the season, we have put such performances all season. What makes us confident that we can do the job at home?
Confident because Brugge didn't look as good as I thought they would, and as soon as put on stronger subs we looked much the better team

romufc

Confident because Brugge didn't look as good as I thought they would, and as soon as put on stronger subs we looked much the better team
Yeah, who says Ole will put a strong team out next week.

I can expect the same if not worse if Lingard and Perreira ever start together again.

We have just come off a winter break, why not go and finish the tie off in the the first leg and rest in the second?

Gasolin

Nobody can convince that Brandon is a LEFT-BACK..He can do a job there but he is a RIGHT-BACK! He should be the backup of AWB
Evra is convinced he’s a LB and he has asked Ole to trust him on this one.

Gasolin

The thing is. Liverpool are winning things with heir B and C team. Because they are properly managed and coached from head to toe. And yes I know they lost against Atletico. But I guess they would beat Brügge even with their second team. We aren't. Because we have no proper coaching. No cohesion. Nothing.
Such nonsense sometimes... it took them 4 years to have that cohesion across all teams, before that they lost many games and it’s always the same story. We have too many injuries.

The day Salah, Mane and Firmino are injured for a very long period you will realize that Liverpool team will start losing consistently too. It’s not rocket science. Let us go through that period and if we get the PL win and the qualification we shouldn’t complain.

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 209 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brugge win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Brugge 0:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Brugge 1:1 Man Utd