PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 September 2017

Jeffthered

Hurrah! Just keep getting those wins, goals and points on the board. The bigger tests are on the way, but we're in a good place. I'm a critic of Mata, so i am pleased he scored... I haven't seen the game, so it will be interesting to read about the performances, and watch the highlights. Palace are struggling, so we have to take that into account, but it's job done, v v well.

Ashley Young has a great attitude and has great experience. Plays like a winner, and appreciates the week in, week out requirements. Not all about being 9, or 10 out of 10. It's working into a cohesive, strong, impressive unit. We are getting there.

AND.. I must say, defensively it's fantastic. Another clean sheet. Superb.

lewwoo

City scored 5 past this lot. Gd will make a huge difference and it seems we're far away from them.
Goal difference only makes a difference if we are equal on points after all games are played otherwise it's completely irrelevant.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
I didn't think we played very well tbh but 4-0 who gives one. Good time for the international break as I do feel our performances have been dropping off a bit. First partial test against liverpool in 2 weeks, bring it on!

The Bloody-Nine

Goal difference only makes a difference if we are equal on points after all games are played otherwise it's completely irrelevant.
And you have to go all the way back to 2012 to find the last time it was extremely relevant. Anyway, I think Ban was being sarcastic.

I had a tenner on 5-0 at 22/1.......Mourinho out :D

On a serious note, the feel good factor is back. We're playing attacking football once again and are a joy to watch. I never understood where Mourinho's reputation for dull football came from. His Chelsea team of Duff, Drogba, Robben were terrific going forward, and his Real Madrid side was packed with goals. We couldn't have asked for a better start to the season, and you can see the confidence running through the team. For the first time since Fergie retired we look like big hitters who other teams fear.

wolvored

Yeah maybe I'm a bit negative, just feel that we're relying too much on brawn and we resort to aimless punts too quickly.

It's working at the moment but we could suffer for it against the best teams.

Still think we'll finish top 3, just don't see us winning the league. This year is too early.
Fully agree with that. We need to play football. How many balls were wasted hitting straight through to Hennessy? Lukaku is red and fast but hes not a ferrari!

SalfordRed1960

At the start of the game I thought we were exceptional and the interplay was great, probably best under Jose so far. We then reverted to norm, being in total control, without really getting out of 3rd gear.

Rashford and Martial are going to become very good players.

Seems OTT to criticize a team that won comfortably 4-0, but we still waste so many passes.

I am still waiting for Miki to show up. Mata was all over the place and contributing, but I sometimes wonder whether Miki is on the park.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
First game I've not either been at or at least been able to watch due to a clash with my local team.
Glad to see that early goal, as after that it was just a case of how many.

4-0 cruise, and still sort of wishing for more goals is vintage United stuff.

Only small clouds are City's form, and us not having played a big boy yet.
Still, can enjoy it for 2 weeks now, and hope Pogba gets much close to a return over that period!

Utdstar01

I thought we played rather average tbh so can only mean good things to play like that and win 4-0 :)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think it was a 'poor' performance personally, or at least an average one. Palace are a terrible team, but we didn't look that cohesive and wasted a lot of opportunities to build attacks.

The Bloody-Nine

We won 4 nil and I can't really recall them having a clear cut chance. 'Poor'.

I wasn't here for the LvG shit show. How did you people judge us then?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Let's just give City the trophy shall we and sell the players and sack the manager because we are obviously not good enough for some of you. We have just played at stupid o'clock in Russia and got back to England at stupid o'clock, so under the circumstances it was a good performance with a forward who I would say was carrying an injury.

Rusholme Ruffian

We won 4 nil and I can't really recall them having a clear cut chance. 'Poor'.

I wasn't here for the LvG shit show. How did you people judge us then?
I think the last few poor years have addled people's minds. They are pining for a mythical time, which never existed, where we never lost the ball let alone a game, where our opponents never had a chance on goal and we scored goals at regular intervals throughout the entire game, week in week out.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The gulf in class between the 2 teams on show this afternoon was scary. We barely got out of second gear and still managed to dispatch that Palace team with consumate ease. You could barely call the game a contest.

Really looking forward to the Liverpool game, a genuine test and a good opportunity to shut the naysayers up for good.

The Bloody-Nine

I think the last few poor years have addled people's minds. They are pining for a mythical time, which never existed, where we never lost the ball let alone a game, where our opponents never had a chance on goal and we scored goals at regular intervals throughout the entire game, week in week out.
I think you're right. It would appear that we need to win 10 nil, have 95% possession, and not concede a shot in our own half, in order to reach a 'decent performance'.

kiristao

Decent performance. We will need to sacrifice Miki against a better midfield and play Herrera or else we will get run over
DDG - very poor with kicks today which was very surprising because normally he is very good with the ball at his feet
Jones - another solid performance. Very composed with the ball at his feet
Young - will play a very important role for us when we play the smaller teams as he gives us another option going ahead
Lukaku - missed a very good chance. Glad he scored though as we need him to be at the top of his game
Fellaini - glad to see him do well. He is not creative enough to play in a 2 man midfield but he is making good use of his other attributes
Rashford & Martial - pure joy to watch them play when they are moving at pace.

Rusholme Ruffian

I think you're right. It would appear that we need to win 10 nil, have 95% possession, and not concede a shot in our own half, in order to reach a 'decent performance'.
I remember when the only time you heard about possession was if you watched the Exorcist - it literally didn't register on anyone's radars - the only stat that counted was goals scored/conceded. I'm sure I heard a stat during the game today that said this is our best ever start to a Premier League season...well you wouldn't believe it if you got all of your information from reading the matchday threads on here, in fact you'd probably think we were in the relegation zone.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Job done. I'm glad Lukaku spoiled my 3 nil prediction.
Bailly being benched could be just a rest but his game has not been quite as sharp this season as previous so maybe a lesson?
The Jones-Smalling combination against Palace (and almost anybody else) was typically effective today. Young instead of Blind makes us a better team but again, I don't think the score would have been much different with either. Blind could've done with a few minutes playing time.
I'm not surprised Fellaini was fit but surprised to see him start. Got goals today Herrera probably wouldn't but again had Herrera played, the result would likely have been more or less the same.
Matic gave the ball away a bit more than usual today and perhaps a little tired after Wednesday but was always busy defending and quick to go forward, so no real complaints.
The same can be said of Mkhi and a couple others but I felt there was always another gear had we needed it.
Good result. Now onward and upward.

cyberman

Is it a coincidence that our left side comes alive when we have a left footed striker up front? Add in Mata and our strikers are sweeping chances in rather than having to let the ball roll across their body and closing the space down.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I remember when the only time you heard about possession was if you watched the Exorcist - it literally didn't register on anyone's radars - the only stat that counted was goals scored/conceded. I'm sure I heard a stat during the game today that said this is our best ever start to a Premier League season...well you wouldn't believe it if you got all of your information from reading the matchday threads on here, in fact you'd probably think we were in the relegation zone.
Stockholm Syndrome? Probably the wrong phrase to use in such a situation but it's the best I can come up with after a few beers unfortunately.

Either way, it's going to take more than a "good start" to convince the negative corner of our fanbase. Performing well and perhaps even beating the dippers will go along way in convincing them that we are the real deal.

Can't wait for the game to be fair, working my ass off to get myself tickets for the game as we speak :mad:

Rusholme Ruffian

Stockholm Syndrome? Probably the wrong phrase to use in such a situation but it's the best I can come up with after a few beers unfortunately.

Either way, it's going to take more than a "good start" to convince the negative corner of our fanbase. Performing well and perhaps even beating the dippers will go along way in convincing them that we are the real deal.

Can't wait for the game to be fair, working my ass off to get myself tickets for the game as we speak :mad:
If we lose that game I don't know what will be worse, the fact that we've lost to Liverpool, or the tidal wave of negativity that will engulf this place...

Robertd0803

Im enjoying these 4-0s and probably the very first game in a long time that I had no doubt or worry about the result. Love how we are winning the games we expect to win comfortably now, takes me back to when Fergie was in charge when I felt that last.

Was hoping bizarrely for 6-0 but glad Lukaku got the 4th.

Also havent said this yet but jeez Palace are completley shagged.

Icemav

Brilliant performance. Palace were up for it and we still smashed them. Competitive game but we are attackimg with bad intentions and trusting our defence.

Icemav

We looked the business today. I am surprised how well we played.

DomesticTadpole

Think people also have to realise that the City game was Roy's first game. He has had time to work with them a bit more, so four goals past a side that might be improving defensively, they are still toothless up front though. They badly need Zaha back.

Rusholme Ruffian

Brilliant performance. Palace were up for it and we still smashed them. Competitive game but we are attackimg with bad intentions and trusting our defence.
Exactly. Some people think that just because Palace have had an awful start to the season that they would automatically roll over for us - but if anything the opposite was probably true. They are not a dreadul, newly promoted team full of championship level players who are already relegated and have nothing to play for. I thought we were very professional.

Icemav

Exactly. Some people think that just because Palace have had an awful start to the season that they would automatically roll over for us - but if anything the opposite was probably true. They are not a dreadul, newly promoted team full of championship level players who are already relegated and have nothing to play for. I thought we were very professional.
Yep, I thought we beat a quality side today. They played well and were very determined but we took the game from them with quality goals. Best peformance of the season thus far imo.

crossy1686

career ending
Take this as you will, this is the 3rd time 3 seasons I’ve turned a United match on and we’ve been 1-0 up before 5 minutes. If that’s not the sign of massive progress,
I don’t know what is.

DomesticTadpole

Take this as you will, this is the 3rd time 3 seasons I’ve turned a United match on and we’ve been 1-0 up before 5 minutes. If that’s not the sign of massive progress,
I don’t know what is.
It is real progress, when you think of all the games we couldn't score in the first half under LvG. It was painful.

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 594 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Man Utd 4:0 Crystal Palace
  • 28% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace