PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 September 2017

Marcky411

We scored 4 and its considered not working on GD...sign of the times. 4-0 is the new 1-0.
Not that I am unhappy with the 4 goals, would've killed for 4 last season but with a little more effort we could've doubled that tally comfortably. I would hate it to count against us come May.

Rusholme Ruffian

Not that I am unhappy with the 4 goals, would've killed for 4 last season but with a little more effort we could've doubled that tally comfortably. I would hate it to count against us come May.
Yeah but you also have to consider that taking it a little easy may serve us well given the amount of big games that we've got coming up between now and Christmas. No point going crazy against Palace at this stage in the season - we've got enough injuries as it is.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Good win but Palace were so poor that CSKA might have beaten them (Hodgson hasn't changed a single think yet as far as I can tell). Good performances all round with Matic, Fellaini and Jones (even though he had so little to do) the standouts for me. I thought Lukaku had a poor one and those people on the caf questioning where Zlatan will fit in, the answer is when Lukaku runs out of steam which you have to presume will happen at some stage

Redlyn

When was the last time an 8-0 was dished out to any team in the PL let alone "comfortably". Fans are getting greedy now.

ravelston

I remember when the only time you heard about possession was if you watched the Exorcist - it literally didn't register on anyone's radars - the only stat that counted was goals scored/conceded. I'm sure I heard a stat during the game today that said this is our best ever start to a Premier League season...well you wouldn't believe it if you got all of your information from reading the matchday threads on here, in fact you'd probably think we were in the relegation zone.
We had 19 points and 24 goals scored in 2011-12 (GD 19) with Liverpool at Anfield the next match. Certainly better than the 6 we scored in the first 7 in 2007-08.

ChaddyP

Good win but Palace were so poor that CSKA might have beaten them (Hodgson hasn't changed a single think yet as far as I can tell). Good performances all round with Matic, Fellaini and Jones (even though he had so little to do) the standouts for me. I thought Lukaku had a poor one and those people on the caf questioning where Zlatan will fit in, the answer is when Lukaku runs out of steam which you have to presume will happen at some stage
I actually feel this was one of palaces better performances :lol:

marlowe78

I liked what Jose said in the post-match. He felt that we let Palace have too much of a look during that stretch in the 1st half and thought we should've done better. I think the main factor that can work against us right now is being complacent with the bigger games coming up. After you've played in 2nd gear for so many games, you can end up stuck there when you're demanded for more against better teams.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Didn't see the full match the other day as I was travelling but the result was what I was expecting. Great to see Fellaini score twice!

crossy1686

career ending
Don't see how winning 4-0 could count against us in May? Both ours and City's goals will dry up at some point, then it will be all about who can grind out the 1-0 wins. I fancy us massively if that's what it boils down to.

Neuron

Don't see how winning 4-0 could count against us in May? Both ours and City's goals will dry up at some point, then it will be all about who can grind out the 1-0 wins. I fancy us massively if that's what it boils down to.
I think the point he's making is that it was a relatively easy game and we could have gained some distance in terms of goal difference on City. Sometimes the more you score in a game, the more the other team gives up, so the 5th, 6th and 7th goals may come easier than the first 3 goals in a 3-0 win.

Anyway, it's unlikely to be important. Although I also thought that last time...

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If it comes down to goal difference, we didn't feck it up by not scoring more against Crystal Palace, we fecked it up by not winning at Stoke.

Acole9

Outstanding
Only just got round to watching the highlights as I was away this weekend. Good win and a solid team performance albeit against a very poor side.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I just thought I'd bump this up, so you can get nostalgic about the last time United played well. It wasn't that long ago, it was within living memory.

Joking aside, it is a shame for United fans that since then Mourinho has resorted to type, and become increasingly negative. It was the game after this when he was willing to accept an insipid 0-0 draw against Liverpool, and the team has literally barely played well since then.

I wonder if he will learn anything from this, and I wonder if the team will get to a goal difference of +19 by the end of this season.

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 594 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Man Utd 4:0 Crystal Palace
  • 28% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace