PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2019

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I like McT. Its just unfair to depend on him.

I can understand Pogba's frustration honestly.

What a shit show eh?
We now have to hope Martial is not injured. Now if he is will he put James on his correct side, you would hope so, but then what about the right side. Greenwood? Lingard yet again. Mata let's slow it all down to a snails pace. Mata should be at 10 if he plays. You hope for the best, but dread the worst.

Al-T

But the kids! They can do the job. Delusional :lol:
Yes, but don't tell anyone. They still think we can bin Lukaku and Sanchez, let Fellaini and Herrera go, not replace them and it'll make no difference.

dev1l

Fletcher was miles ahead of McT. at his best he was almost a match for Keane.
You must have a short memory.
When Fergie started playing a physically weak lad called Darren Fletcher on the right side of midfield, there was a lot of fans saying that he played him because he was Scottish.
I suggest you do a bit of research on United forums during Fletcher's first 2 seasons and see yourself.
Fergie s faith in Fletcher eventually paid off but I doubt any other manager would have given fletch fo much time.
Luckily for United Fergie ignored the fans at the time

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
I like McT. Its just unfair to depend on him.

I can understand Pogba's frustration honestly.

What a shit show eh?

Fcuk that.

Man Utd should not be a team who carries players. Every player should be dependable

DomesticTadpole

Yes, but don't tell anyone. They still think we can bin Lukaku and Sanchez, let Fellaini and Herrera go, not replace them and it'll make no difference.
We have some really talented kids, but they have to be guided along by lot better players than we have at this time. Would you want Lingard guiding your kid in the ways of the world?

bondsname

Easy. We should just sack Ole and we'll be good, right?
People think its that easy. I think personally it would be a mistake to sack Ole before the end of the season, that way we will end up with Rooney or something as manager.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
You must have a short memory.
When Fergie started playing a physically weak lad called Darren Fletcher on the right side of midfield, there was a lot of fans saying that he played him because he was Scottish.
I suggest you do a bit of research on United forums during Fletcher's first 2 seasons and see yourself.
Fergie s faith in Fletcher eventually paid off but I doubt any other manager would have given fletch fo much time.
Luckily for United Fergie ignored the fans at the time
Fergie saw the potential in him.

Fan forums?

Fletcher strength was his positioning. But he also had a very good players around him.

Cockney Phil

Everything now depends on how we respond.

A strong reaction against the Saints and we’re back on track - another poor showing and we will be in trouble.

dev1l

Fergie saw the potential in him.

Fan forums?

Fletcher strength was his positioning. But he also had a very good players around him.
Initially he was not good -there s no denying that. And most fans wanted him out.
Eventually he got better and became indispensable for the team but he needed TIME. There are no short-term fixes

OleGunnar20

For me: Either Pogba has to be moved forward with Fred coming in alongside McTom (How that's out first XI CM I'll never know), or Gomes should be given a few games at #10 to give us some spark. Greenwood in on the right would also be an improvement on James atm, but that's a close one.

I'd also prefer Smalling to Lindelof but again, I'm sure many would disagree. VAR makes me worry about ol'Mike but I think he's hands down a better defender than Lindelof. Maguire is enough playmaking-wise. Tuanzebe probably has more potential than Lindelof also for me, but I haven't seen enough to make a call there really. I just don't really rate him as a CB to be relying on. More of a Silvestre type.

Teams know that we cannot break them down. They also know our midfield is Swiss-cheese and they'll always have joy on the counter attack. We simultaneously need to have more bite & guile from that middle 3 which is pretty damn worrying.

Despite that hey, at least we dominated. Everyone fought hard until the end there and we are of course a very young team. Full belief that Ole can get this turned around.

Just please stop playing Lingard.

KennyBurner

Most of our limited players are English talents. lingard, rashford, daniel James and mctominay. This might be why we struggle to create.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If teams park the bus we are clueless. That's not the hallmarks of a decent team let alone a good one.

Basically we have a counter attack and that's out lot.

fecking pathetic.
We are a counter attacking team.
This may work against the big teams, but against minnows (like Huddersfield and Cardiff, last season), we can struggle.

DomesticTadpole

The kids are at least 2 seasons away.

There is a huge gap between the first 11 which itself is not good enough and them.

scary.
It's awkward as I think people would really like to see the kids, but as you say this might not be the situation to bring them into. Looks like they will be used in the cups and maybe early EL with some fringe players. It will be then down to them to put up a show. At least if we can see them putting the effort in and showing the talent they have it will be something to cling onto. When do the women start their season? Thank goodness the U-23's and U-18's are looking good.

Rob Bowman

So was obvious Crystal was packing it in.

Why is Mata or Gomes (who is not even on the bench) not an option? Honestly we need to unlock a defense so tight control and quick darting movements might help. Will be a long season as we do not have many options on the bench, and we choose not to use the few tools we have.

Slamar85

Ddg young lindelof maguire wanb fed mctom pogba gomes rashford martial next game

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
It's awkward as I think people would really like to see the kids, but as you say this might not be the situation to bring them into. Looks like they will be used in the cups and maybe early EL with some fringe players. It will be then down to them to put up a show. At least if we can see them putting the effort in and showing the talent they have it will be something to cling onto. When do the women start their season? Thank goodness the U-23's and U-18's are looking good.
Chong did very well apparently.

el3mel

DomesticTadpole

For me: Either Pogba has to be moved forward with Fred coming in alongside McTom (How that's out first XI CM I'll never know), or Gomes should be given a few games at #10 to give us some spark. Greenwood in on the right would also be an improvement on James atm, but that's a close one.

I'd also prefer Smalling to Lindelof but again, I'm sure many would disagree. VAR makes me worry about ol'Mike but I think he's hands down a better defender than Lindelof. Maguire is enough playmaking-wise. Tuanzebe probably has more potential than Lindelof also for me, but I haven't seen enough to make a call there really. I just don't really rate him as a CB to be relying on. More of a Silvestre type.

Teams know that we cannot break them down. They also know our midfield is Swiss-cheese and they'll always have joy on the counter attack. We simultaneously need to have more bite & guile from that middle 3 which is pretty damn worrying.

Despite that hey, at least we dominated. Everyone fought hard until the end there and we are of course a very young team. Full belief that Ole can get this turned around.

Just please stop playing Lingard.
Fred is an enigma. Where is Fred? Does he actually exist? If he isn't ready yet then god help us if some of the lot playing today actually are.

90 + 5min

Emotions. Keep your emotions. If you are going crazy because of one game then you are going to have though season. As "older" supporter I've learned to handle wins and loses with calm.

Today, we were far better, but lost. Unlucky. Last season many of you wanted attacking football and thats what you have. Today we lost trying to win the game. Instead of taking easy at 1-1 our players did exactly what most of you (that are now negative) want. To go for the win. That punished us. 3 points lost.

I accept that you all call for Solskjaer to axe Lingaard. I would like to see Mata in that role myself. But our "stars" Rashford, Lindelöf and Pogba was very poor today. And it's not first time that Rashford, Pogba and Lindelöf are that bad.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Just gonna drag this up from Monday.
Why's the penalty become such a hot talking point? It's a complete lottery ffs, striking a ball from twelve yards. Anything can happen regardless of how you try to approach it. If we're talking hypotheticals, saying that Rashford might have scored it, you might as well talk about the hypothetical where Pogba takes it and scores. 9/10, Pogba puts it home, but this time he didn't. That's the point of penalties, it can go either way and sometimes you miss them.

If you start blaming isolated incidents for dropped points then it ignores the fundamental issues that bothered you last night. Namely that once you lost control of the game you never wrestled it back, that you didn't do as much with the ball as Wolves did even though they had much less of it, and that Shaw really struggled to cope once Traore was at him because he received basically no protection from the midfield.

I'm sure Ole's looking at those things as we speak, but Neville losing his mind over the penalty just smacks of Sky trying to drum up controversy.

Cockney Phil

If that’s the common ref response to VAR we may suffer from poor decisions. James was too fast and fouled. We are a fast team, at times, and the ref struggled.

Some of those decisions indicate the ref’s are sometimes waiting to be told rather than reacting to a situation and getting confirmation after.

I guess all clubs are complaining and will do so until it settles down

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We're in a shitty position where neither the manager nor the team are good enough. It's all well and good being able to blame the manager when you know the team is good, but it's not so we can't just replace Ole with a better manager and assume everything will improve.

If you hire a manager like Ole you have to back him in the window and give him the best possible team to work with. We didn't and now we're probably fecked again, most likely.

I was enjoying the start of the season so much, transfer window was largely shite but despite a few obvious issues with the team I had some hope we'd sneak fourth. Very positive win against Chelsea and despite the draw thought we did alright away at Wolves.

All good feelings gone now already three weeks in, everyone in meltdown and feeling like we'll be lucky to get seventh. Shouldn't get so worked up about football but supporting this club is genuinely bad for my mental health. Spend too much time angry and stressed about us, even though im spoiled to be a United fan compared to many others. Don't see this club getting fixed any time soon, but I'll be back tearing my hair out as we scrape a draw against Southampton. Just wanted to get to the international break with some positivity, but this club is rotten to the core currently and there's no end in sight

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We are a counter attacking team.
This may work against the big teams, but against minnows (like Huddersfield and Cardiff, last season), we can struggle.
Most teams are guna play defensively against us. So basically we are fecked?

We can't dominate the bottom clubs because we have as much invention as they do. Pathetic.

Codie

What did he say after the game?
We weren't clinical enough

Second half we were better, I couldn't fault them, they just couldn't hit the target

Should have had 1 or 2 penalties

I can't remember exactly word for word but something along these lines

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What "many chances" did you see? 3 shots on targets at home to Palace and i'm sorry but that equals awful. I agree on the rest you can't miss penalties, VAR not even used for two incidents that could have been another penalty and red card for palace. Would have been a draw if DeGea didn't gift that winner to palace.

I'd love to say it was one of those days and we should move on but these type of days are all too common watching United nowadays.
1 pen hitting the post, 1 pen not called (would've been 1 v 1 from Martial), Rashford slipped on a 1v1 early on, James early in the game had a clear chance deflected, Young a clear chance mishit the shot, Lingard poor touch for what would've turned into a chance, James' actual goal, countless others that were poor final ball or just touch letting people down or all the half chances that we just missed the target. Yeah it's 3 shots on target, from like 25 total shots. That's down to the players just fecking up the shots in the end.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Nothing has changed. De Gea is accident prone. OGS is optimistic, naive and unlucky. Rashford is dross with oodles of potential. I'm not entirely without hope. But it involves new owners, the pig gone, OGS back on the wall as a club legend, and some forwards who can score. Oh yes, and just for the craic, a fecking midfield

haram

1 pen hitting the post, 1 pen not called (would've been 1 v 1 from Martial), Rashford slipped on a 1v1 early on, James early in the game had a clear chance deflected, Young a clear chance mishit the shot, Lingard poor touch for what would've turned into a chance, James' actual goal, countless others that were poor final ball or just touch letting people down or all the half chances that we just missed the target. Yeah it's 3 shots on target, from like 25 total shots. That's down to the players just fecking up the shots in the end.
So the only way Ole gets the blame is if we create nothing :lol:.

LoneStar

And that was my first game live at Old Trafford, couldn't have gone worse.

A missed penalty, two sucker punch goals. At least James scored an awesome goal.

Defence let us down. The referee was shite.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
We weren't clinical enough

Second half we were better, I couldn't fault them, they just couldn't hit the target

Should have had 1 or 2 penalties

I can't remember exactly word for word but something along these lines
Cheers!

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 532 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw