PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2019

ExoduS

After I calmed down and assessed the game - we clearly need to improve, but it wasn't so bad. Some shocking mistakes by us, the ref, var and some sh1t luck really. We were positive out there and attacked and attacked. Yes, we need more pace and creativity during possession, but maybe that can come later? I don't know, I am just hopeful. :/ We can't sack Ole, that would be total disaster, total disaster. I also hope he doesn't just quit cause that would be even bigger disaster than him getting sacked. Man... We played well against Wolves first half, we played well today but no luck at all. I know you gotta deserve to be lucky so let's keep playing harder and harder and see what happens. We are not gonna win the title, we want to be in the top 4. Season is young and starting like this and improving is better than starting strong and then just go to sh1t afterwards.

Reactions: Ødegaard

Swearing Budgie

We are awful.

I support Liverpool now because they are mint, even though their manager isn't a former player.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The biggest braindead substitution today was bringing on Mata instead in place McTominay. Just left Pogba as our only midfielder. Just so obvious we'd be prone to a counter. Ole obviously wanted the 3 points and wasn't satisfied with a point which I suppose is positivity.

MrAwesome

Lingard is a weak link. It's sad to not see him grow over the years. What's with set-pieces? Do we not train for them? There's no point in winning set-pieces if we have no clue of the next move.

Poor refereeing did not help us either.

Frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForlanFletcherPee

I thought people were shouting Lindelof and Maguire all summer, Lindelof from most underrated player to most overrated player, someone that cant win aerial balls conveniently...,

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm not putting words in your mouth at all. You said that changing the manager won't make a difference - which implies that you don't think anyone else could do any better?
As it stands with the way the club is set up and how the club operates, no, I don't think any manager could come in and win the league or champions league.
Maybe someone could come in and get top four, maybe someone could come in and do worse than Ole has done. But as far as the big picture goes, no, I don't think anyone could do significantly better than Van Gaal, Mourinho and Ole have done.

Gerald G

As each game passes the lack of midfield signings becomes ever more insane. We literally lost a midfielder who started for us and failed to replace him despite our midfield already being weak last year. Two midfielders were clearly required - a defensive midfielder and a creative/attacking midfielder. I can understand not purchasing both but failing to sign one, especially in a market where many attacking midfielders seemed available is unbelievable.

Bruno Fernandes seemed like the easiest option - the club was willing to sell and he wanted to leave but we apparently had reservations... Now we're starting a player who isn't good enough to play for any big side, starting a number 10 who doesn't score or assist. It really is incredible. We took an INSANE risk this summer and although early days it looks like it's backfiring.

Our only hope is that we can somehow hold on until January and go back in for a midfielder.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
We are not creating clear chances/sitters.

We are missing the penalties.

Defense already showing cracks (2 goals conceded at OT vs a non-Top6 side!!)

DeGea making 2018-19 mistakes.

At this rate, Top5-7 at best.

CR1

Just wanted to write a short post in support of Ole and the players.

Yes we can partly question the team selection (Lingard shouldn't start games, generally) as well as some of the individual performances (Pogba had a bad game, but in his defense even when he plays badly he is good - plus he wants to leave and personally I don't blame him).

The main issue, however, is beyond the power of both Ole and the players. There simply hasn't been enough work put into this squad. In addition to the LF, RB and CB signed this past window we also needed a back-up LB, a CDM, a CAM and a RF. And that's not even getting into the players that should be shifted out.

It's not Ashley Young's fault another back-up LB wasn't brought in, for instance. Nor is it Ole's. Some of us fans have been calling for that position as well as a lot of others to be better covered for a long time.

I think progress has been made, in spite of this result and performance. Maguire and AWB have improved the defense. James is a player of great potential who is already proving that he should be in or around the starting eleven. We just need more signings. It's easy to forget forget just how badly we ended last season and the state of absolute disarray we have been in ever since SAF retired. A paltry number of only three signings, as good as they are and I do think they are very good signings, was never going to fix this.

Lessons (we already knew this):
- Lingard should start on the bench and be regarded an impact player
- James should play on the left

Next game, let's start:

Martial Rashford
(Mata or Gomes)
Pogba (Pereira or Fred) McTominay
Shaw Maguire Lindelöf AWB
DDG

Second half; bring on James, Greenwood and whoever of Pereira and Fred who didn't start.

I believe in this team, but further improvements from both within and the outside are needed.

Reactions: Sultan

M Bison

Supports
York City
The disappointment for me is the defensive performance today. Both goals should have been prevented, particularly the first one, Maguire was asleep and failed to react by the time he realised Ayew was slotting it past DDG far too easily.

We've invested heavily in defence so you'd expect much more. Its only 3 games in and its practically a new back line but they need to wake-up, quick. Chances at the other end were always going to be limited, but we need a solid defence to work from.

Swearing Budgie

I'm calm, thanks. I can't believe a 47-year-old guy can change teams. You're either a WUM or lying about your age.
It's very easy to change teams, surely? You just pick another team and start caring about how they are doing...

Yeah, it's not possible.

K13

The biggest braindead substitution today was bringing on Mata instead in place McTominay. Just left Pogba as our only midfielder. Just so obvious we'd be prone to a counter. Ole obviously wanted the 3 points and wasn't satisfied with a point which I suppose is positivity.
Very positive move and I personally thought we needed a player like Mata on for the last few minutes and thought James would make way as could not see Martial or Rashford going off. Just as well I was not managing as would not have seen James's lovely finish! Who would you have taken off or would you have left things as they were?

As Man Utd fans we know when there is a game to be won we will try to win it (remember the 6: 1 pasting city gave us in 2011 when we kept pushing forward and even having the experience of Ferdinand on the pitch did not stop our intent!) I wonder what the reaction on here was after that!! Pleased I wasn't here then.

Oldyella

That felt like a rehash of the Moyes tenure. Worryingly so. No idea how to alter things so just put on more attackers. Disrupt the flow of the game making it harder for ourselves. Might be a log season.

K13

The disappointment for me is the defensive performance today. Both goals should have been prevented, particularly the first one, Maguire was asleep and failed to react by the time he realised Ayew was slotting it past DDG far too easily.
I think Shaw's hammie had something to do with it as well. Maguire saw him pull up so went over to cover.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Very positive move and I personally thought we needed a player like Mata on for the last few minutes and thought James would make way as could not see Martial or Rashford going off. Just as well I was not managing as would not have seen James's lovely finish! Who would you have taken off or would you have left things as they were?

As Man Utd fans we know when there is a game to be won we will try to win it (remember the 6: 1 pasting city gave us in 2011 when we kept pushing forward and even having the experience of Ferdinand on the pitch did not stop our intent!) I wonder what the reaction on here was after that!! Pleased I wasn't here then.
I'd have taken one of the full-backs off.

Rusholme Ruffian

As it stands with the way the club is set up and how the club operates, no, I don't think any manager could come in and win the league or champions league.
Maybe someone could come in and get top four, maybe someone could come in and do worse than Ole has done. But as far as the big picture goes, no, I don't think anyone could do significantly better than Van Gaal, Mourinho and Ole have done.
I should start by saying that nobody could be more anti Glazer/Woodward than me, so I absolutely agree that there is something rotten in our club that goes far beyond the manager. However, for instance, when you look at how little money Pochettino has had to spend at Spurs I find it very hard not to surmise that if he had been appointed instead of LVG, and been given the £500 million odd that has been spent since then, he would not have done significantly better than any of our recent managers.

And I'll point out again, our form since March under Ole is relegation form - it's frankly mental to think that nobody could do significantly better than that.

always_hoping

1 pen hitting the post, 1 pen not called (would've been 1 v 1 from Martial), Rashford slipped on a 1v1 early on, James early in the game had a clear chance deflected, Young a clear chance mishit the shot, Lingard poor touch for what would've turned into a chance, James' actual goal, countless others that were poor final ball or just touch letting people down or all the half chances that we just missed the target. Yeah it's 3 shots on target, from like 25 total shots. That's down to the players just fecking up the shots in the end.
It's down to the players alright but we need to stop making excuses as this has happened countless times now and it will repeat itself many more times this season. The players don't have the quality to create enough clear cut chances in games or be clinical enough whenever the few chances present themselves.

Fitchett

Palace came today for a 0-0 draw, like Southampton, Swansea and West Brom have done in recent seasons. All four teams went home after we gifted them a win. Today it was through our embarrassing ineptitude and shocking refereeing performances from Paul Tierney and the Video Assistant Referee Craig Pawson.

Renegade

A few things I started to think while watching today.

Would Man City’s 2nd string finish above us?

Would a player like Nani be our best attacker if he was in this team in his prime?

Last edited:

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I should start by saying that nobody could be more anti Glazer/Woodward than me, so I absolutely agree that there is something rotten in our club that goes far beyond the manager. However, for instance, when you look at how little money Pochettino has had to spend at Spurs I find it very hard not to surmise that if he had been appointed instead of LVG, and been given the £500 million odd that has been spent since then, he would not have done significantly better than any of our recent managers.

And I'll point out again, our form since March under Ole is relegation form - it's frankly mental to think that nobody could do significantly better than that.
That hasn't happened at United either, which is exactly my point. We've signed managers and sacked them when we haven't finished in the champions league (Ole aside, who joined when that was unlikely anyway)
Pochettino wouldn't come into United and have the luxury of having what, 5 Summer Windows including Van Gaals? You're basically agreeing with me. we need a manager to come in and spend 3/4 years and a lot of money to add the quality needed to compete at the top of the league.
Bringing manager and sacking him after a year or even two, just isn't working for us.
Whether or not Ole is the manager who should years to turn it around, God knows, I'm glad I'm not the one who has to decide it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's down to the players alright but we need to stop making excuses as this has happened countless times now and it will repeat itself many more times this season. The players don't have the quality to create enough clear cut chances in games or be clinical enough whenever the few chances present themselves.
We have a young team, and especially a young attack. Even still, our team creates pretty much more chances than any other team in the league bar City and Liverpool. Do you know how these young players will become good enough and clinical enough? With time. Yeah we are light in attack now, but the likes of Rashford and Martial definitely needed the chance to make the step up in key roles at some point very soon. Ole decided now is the time, and I can't fault those 2 for anything so far. They have played well, scored goals and created chances so far. We've looked far more threatening in attack than in the previous seasons. With time, they'll develop as all young players do, and become more consistent and develop a better understanding. It's not always about just throwing money at the problem. We have young players in the attack, players who can become the types who are worth 100+ million with some added consistency. So is the answer always to spend 100m on a player who may or may not want to be here or perform well, but block the young exciting talents you already have, or sometimes stick with the young players we have and watch them blossom into those very players?

I know which I'd prefer, and I'd say 90% of United fans should have the same opinion.

ForlanFletcherPee

G
Posters on here told us that we're shit going forward because of Smalling and Jones. That having 2 CBs comfortable on the ball was our biggest weakness and why we cant play well.

Now we have 2 CBs comfortable on the ball, we're shit going forward and the defense is struggling[/QUOT
When Fellaini was still here, most posters here would moan he s crap and not good enough for MU.
Funny how opinions change
U spoke my mind it's probably those shit myopic fans that made Ole sold Fellaini, the guy brings what no player brings to anyteam

Mr. Ant

I'm just afraid that we don't have enough quality in the squad, first 11 is not bad but our bench is awful.

Basically what it means is that if plan A doesn't work like today we don't have a plan B players on the bench.

I would like to see Lingard dropped and Pogba pushed forward, play Fred with McTominay.

We also need to sign someone like Llorente, someone that can give us different option upfront. We can't rely on youngsters against these physical teams.

Rusholme Ruffian

That hasn't happened at United either, which is exactly my point. We've signed managers and sacked them when we haven't finished in the champions league (Ole aside, who joined when that was unlikely anyway)
Pochettino wouldn't come into United and have the luxury of having what, 5 Summer Windows including Van Gaals? You're basically agreeing with me. we need a manager to come in and spend 3/4 years and a lot of money to add the quality needed to compete at the top of the league.
Bringing manager and sacking him after a year or even two, just isn't working for us.
Whether or not Ole is the manager who should years to turn it around, God knows, I'm glad I'm not the one who has to decide it.
I'd agree that that would be the ideal scenario - but only when we are absolutely certain we have the right guy in post. There is nothing in OGS's CV that suggests he is that guy, and nothing really that I've seen since he arrived - outside of a good run of games at the start of his tenure that had a huge amount to do with new manager bounce.

Gasolin

Didn’t watch the game as my wife was mad at me... but I am still under shock despite loving Ole’s gameplan. I suppose we need to get back winning and we have tremendous work to do in our mental strength as well.

How are the injuries? We cannot play Martial with injuries. That was the mistake we made last season with both Martial and Rashford and it didn’t work out, it just doesn’t, we need maximum intensity and intend now...

I am sad, disappointed, everything. But I hope Ole and Phelan and the others see and understand the problem. At this point, it goes beyond my football understanding...

Swearing Budgie

I'm just afraid that we don't have enough quality in the squad, first 11 is not bad but our bench is awful.

Basically what it means is that if plan A doesn't work like today we don't have a plan B players on the bench.

I would like to see Lingard dropped and Pogba pushed forward, play Fred with McTominay.

We also need to sign someone like Llorente, someone that can give us different option upfront. We can't rely on youngsters against these physical teams.
I can't believe I am beginning to remember Fellaini fondly.

It wasn't the best plan B but it was very different to plan A and it actually worked quite a few times!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Agreed. The intent is good, but the decision is bad.

Using Pogba as a sole CM is a suicide. Sir Alex would sacrifice a defender for an attacker. I'd swap either Lindelof or AWB for Mata.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 532 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace
  • 29% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace