PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2019

Especially when match buildup mentions number of years/games in which United have not lost against upcoming opposition.
It's some bloody curse. Started with Moyes and it has followed us ever since. Moyes did have a lot of records to play with though. The second they started speaking about how Crystal Palace hadn't won over us in 30 or some years I knew they had jinxed it. Fecking commentators with agendas.

Branchofscience

Is it squeaky bum time already? Southampton will be on a high after a great away win for them.
Will the players have enough confidence and fight to compete with the saints ? Lose away to them and that would be back to back defeats. There's no steal in this side to fight for the points. There is no Keane type player to compete and win the battle in midfield. Seriously lacking leaders in all departments. Who last held the ball up in attack to bring the midfield in to the game ? Which midfielders were creative or brave enough to join the attack and create something? What role is the defence playing in setting up opportunities to help the midfield and attack with a firm idea so the midfield and attack are able to rely on the defensive unit as a base and foundation for attacking impetus?

theklr

Is it squeaky bum time already? Southampton will be on a high after a great away win for them.
Will the players have enough confidence and fight to compete with the saints ? Lose away to them and that would be back to back defeats. There's no steal in this side to fight for the points. There is no Keane type player to compete and win the battle in midfield. Seriously lacking leaders in all departments. Who last held the ball up in attack to bring the midfield in to the game ? Which midfielders were creative or brave enough to join the attack and create something? What role is the defence playing in setting up opportunities to help the midfield and attack with a firm idea so the midfield and attack are able to rely on the defensive unit as a base and foundation for attacking impetus?
Pogba.

Both Lindelof and Maguire has been going forward to help

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's some bloody curse. Started with Moyes and it has followed us ever since. Moyes did have a lot of records to play with though. The second they started speaking about how Crystal Palace hadn't won over us in 30 or some years I knew they had jinxed it. Fecking commentators with agendas.
We need a list of all the shit records broken since the great man retired

K13

That is also true, but take a look at this
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/cv96oo/refvar_review_2_electric_boogaloo_vs_crystal/

Basically, Palace were allowed to make cynical foul after cynical foul with impunity, breaking down all of our best moves
Thanks for sharing the reddit post. It really sums up how frustrating the game was because at no point did it feel like the ref was in control. Hopefully something will be happening behind the scenes because there have been quite a few poor decisions across all games. Some appear to be hiding behind VAR and I think that needs to change because it is only suppose to help not make all the decisions.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Don' like to cry after the ref for being awful and lose against a weak side. This team will get destroyed by City, Pool and Arse for sure. They just defend deep, leave the flanks open for us to cross and since we don't have a single crosser or a single player able to receipt crosses, we were too easy to play against... Tactical foul ? and what we should have done that at the end.

My point is we are bad. We made too many individual mistakes once again and are too one dimensional to beat teams like this. We have nothing else than counter attacks it seems. To me the key are individuals and we were playing with too much confidence for me

• Lindelof lost a dual.
  • Maguire was 15/20 meters away from him with Ayew alone between them
  • Pogba / Rashford free kicks are awfull
  • Rashford penalty
  • Martial was alone
  • Lingard is Lingard
  • We have no width with AWB and Shaw
In the Fergie era, we would have played 4-4-2 with the wingers and defenders trying to stretch the team.

We should have a plan B when it seems that we dont have

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Mars-Rash-Greenwood trio actions against Crystal Palace http://bit.ly/2L73nTw
I wasn't able to watch the game, but just seeing these highlights causes to me wonder how we weren't awarded multiple penalties and didn't at least score two goals from open play against them. They weren't able to cope with Martial and Rashford one bit. Thus, even with two blinders which allowed them to score, we should've still won the game.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I loved Fletcher but this bit isn't true. He was a squad player with about 20 appearances that season - didn't establish himself as an important player until the following season.
He was instrumental to our almost 2009 CL team. The narrative is we would have won if not for that terrible refereeing decision in the semi-final 2nd leg.
My memory is a little hazy so I might have gotten the dates wrong, but I remember him as being far more than an 'average' player.

He was brilliant in the CL semi-final against Arsenal, I can't recall if that was '08 or '09 now.

Branchofscience

Pogba.

Both Lindelof and Maguire has been going forward to help
Pogba isn't playing a supporting role to the forwards.

Going forward to help what? Just ambling up the field doesn't mean they are helping and that's not their role anyway. There role is to be a solid foundation and base to help recycle the ball and keep attacks from peatering out and to start attacks from an advantageous position but that requires the team to be set up properly to contain and control the opposition

Last edited by a moderator:

macheda14

My memory is a little hazy so I might have gotten the dates wrong, but I remember him as being far more than an 'average' player.

He was brilliant in the CL semi-final against Arsenal, I can't recall if that was '08 or '09 now.
It was ‘09. ‘08 was the semi final against Barcelona, 0-0 first leg, 1-0 second leg scholes wonder goal. ‘09 was fletcher playing very very well and then making a recovery tackle/goal line clearance, getting the ball, but getting sent off. The narrative is if he had played the final we would have won because he was instrumental to pressing the other team’s midfield. Although that was a midfield of xavi and Iniesta, who easily could have still played it round him. So who knows. You are right though he was a very very good midfielder that season and the seasons following until his illness.

Greggs11

People criticising Lindelof for the first goal should avert their attention more to Maquire. A centre back should sniff the danger there and he switched off. That said, he needs time to form a partnership with VL so we'll chalk this up as a mishap.

As Ships said, Palace are liable to knick a goal away from home, but also liable to ship them. Lack of creativity has been our issue and will continue to be this season. Our home record will be mediocre again this season and we'll undoubtedly pick up more points away.

Play Pogba in the No.10 role. Its the best option we have at the moment and will mean when he over elaborates on the ball and surrenders possession, we have cover to win the ball back.
I disagree with you on Maguire. Lindelof was suppose to get the job done & he "Jonesd".

sparx99

Don' like to cry after the ref for being awful and lose against a weak side. This team will get destroyed by City, Pool and Arse for sure. They just defend deep, leave the flanks open for us to cross and since we don't have a single crosser or a single player able to receipt crosses, we were too easy to play against... Tactical foul ? and what we should have done that at the end.

My point is we are bad. We made too many individual mistakes once again and are too one dimensional to beat teams like this. We have nothing else than counter attacks it seems. To me the key are individuals and we were playing with too much confidence for me

• Lindelof lost a dual.
  • Maguire was 15/20 meters away from him with Ayew alone between them
  • Pogba / Rashford free kicks are awfull
  • Rashford penalty
  • Martial was alone
  • Lingard is Lingard
  • We have no width with AWB and Shaw
In the Fergie era, we would have played 4-4-2 with the wingers and defenders trying to stretch the team.

We should have a plan B when it seems that we dont have
I can’t come to this conclusion to be honest. We did more than enough to win the game and should have been playing against 9 or 10 men. If the referee had booked their persistent fouling then they wouldn’t be able to foul to break up our attacks.

In the Fergie era we were good enough to overcome these kind of refereeing performances. We aren’t that good anymore.

I just want to play on a level playing field. I’m not one for conspiracy theories but the referee on Saturday either actively disliked us or he had an idea of how the game should be played and didn’t mind it being physical. Either way he didn’t follow the rule book.

wolvored

No idea what point you’re making but it’s definitely irrelevant to mine.
You said, 'Just seen the stats though. 72% possession and 22 shots at their goal. 14 from inside their box. So I’m not gonna panic yet'.
I responded with only 3 shots on target, and you can have90% possession and 50-100 off target, but that will never result in goals. We are gradually moving in the right direction though.

Withnail

Fletcher was miles ahead of McT. at his best he was almost a match for Keane.
Fletcher became a very good player, eventually, when he was in his mid-20s.

He got awful stick for years because he 'wasn't good enough'. Supporters were claiming he must be Fergie's love-child to be getting near the team when he was younger.

steve.crowford

I wasn't able to watch the game, but just seeing these highlights causes to me wonder how we weren't awarded multiple penalties and didn't at least score two goals from open play against them. They weren't able to cope with Martial and Rashford one bit. Thus, even with two blinders which allowed them to score, we should've still won the game.
We actually play well, we control the game, we beat our opponents in all respects, we are just unlucky, we had to win these two games, we were just totally unlucky.

dmode

I have no idea how we should call this shitness, it's a make or break situation, it's not about tactics, form or quality, it's about morale.

It's in our head. We and just have to sit and think where we want to be.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don't think having 72% possession is necessarily a great thing in games like this. Palace were clearly happy to allow us to have the ball, as it also allowed them to be more threatening on a counter. Both their goals don't happen if they attempt to have control of the ball for extended periods.

It's obviously better than being dominated by West Brom at home like we used to but it's still a bad performance and it doesn't matter how many shots we had, we hardly threatened them considering how much we had the ball.

RuudTom83

This squad needs to learn how to win 1-0

That would be great for there development, get a goal and then control the game to a boring conclusion.

Which is easier said than done with the current midfield.

Coops73

When this was being played I was 35,000 ft in the air and when we landed and I saw we’d lost I was pissed off, I’m a sore fecking looser and when we lose and I haven’t seen the game live I won’t bother with the highlights , not interested, but I decided after our last couple of games I’d tape the game on MUTV and see how the game had gone.

Personally I’m not too disheartened by the performance. We totally dominated the game and I thought we were really unfortunate, ok there is definitely a need for someone with a bit more creativity and I’m kind of with a lot of people on here in saying it’s probably time for Lingard to take the bench a let’s see how Gomes gets on, not that I think we’ll actually see this happen any time soon.

The reffing was fecking shocking in my opinion and how they didn’t have 2 sent off I’ll never know but that’s by the by, also there time wasting was really bad, what happened to the new rule where you’re to leave the pitch at the nearest point?

Their 2 goals I think was the fault of Lindelof for losing that header, should never of happened and De Gea shouldn’t be conceding at his near post, though if Pogba hadn’t fecked about on the halfway line we wouldn’t be talking about that but I did think he (Pogba) had a tidy game, maybe need to push him forward more?

I was again pleased with James and Maguire and for me either of those MOTM.

All in all I was pleased I watched it because if I took what half of what has been said on here as gospel I’d give us no hope this season, I’m not saying we’ll make top 4 and to be honest it’s going to a fecking rollercoaster but I’m heartened by our first 3 games despite the mixed bag, guess we’ll see but I’m not too down...yet.

Sea-Cow

Incredibly frustrating first half performance. They were sleepwalking, playing with no urgency and no balls. Even when they scored, where was the pissed-off reaction?

Scattering-shooting thoughts and observations:

• The players are all soft, but Tony Martial pisses me off so much! Stop going to ground so easily looking for fouls! I am not talking about the clear penalty here, but there are times when he can stay on his feet and go forward and possibly do some damage, but he stops and throws his arms up looking for a foul. He is also soft at holding the ball up and too often the CB is able to easily brush him aside. He could be so great and its so incredibly frustrating.
  • Horrible corners and free-kick delivery. Where is the creativity? Other sides try set-plays and have clear ideas on new things to try. We scoop it up high in the air beyond the far post and hope for the best. Whats the point of having good-ol Slabhead if we, a team of professional footballers, can't take a decent corner. And don't say Pereria is the answer because he sucks at them too.
  • Rashford and Pogba horrible on free-kicks. Just awful. Again, maybe try something new instead of trying to Beckham it into the corner. Go on the ground, around the wall, have someone in front of the wall, play it short, do something except harmlessly and tamely lofting it into the stands. Never even test the keeper.
  • Rashford petulantly shooting from 40 yards.... JFC man, get it together.
  • How was that not a second yellow for the pk that was actually given? A clear, intentional trip in the box to stop a player going past you. Surely that is a yellow-card worthy offense. The ref was atrocious, but shouldn't be an excuse.
  • We're having to dip into the squad now after a few injuries and man.... I am fing worried. This could very well be a disaster of a season.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I don't think having 72% possession is necessarily a great thing in games like this. Palace were clearly happy to allow us to have the ball, as it also allowed them to be more threatening on a counter. Both their goals don't happen if they attempt to have control of the ball for extended periods.

It's obviously better than being dominated by West Brom at home like we used to but it's still a bad performance and it doesn't matter how many shots we had, we hardly threatened them considering how much we had the ball.
I used to make this exact point during the LVG days when we'd end up with 75+% possession and finish 0-0 or 0-1.

Other teams are happy to cede possession to us, as they know that we're unlikely to do much with the ball and that their best opportunity to score against us is on the counter.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So apparently Palace have a very good league record since February?

Steve 007

Hi guys newbie here, going to share my thoughts on the palace result.

We’ve been average for a long time, our recruitment has been poor at best. Ole is in and not everyone’s cup of tea but make no mistake it is a massive job he needed to clear out players who aren’t good enough or who are a disruptive influence, Lukaku, Sanchez, Rojo, Fellaini, possibly some other defenders and eventually Pogba (yes I know he’s good) but does he really want it for Man Utd?

Then he needed to recruit, to buy world class (when you are not in the C.L) is not easy and means we can’t get the bodies we need, so he’s doing it differently, he’s sorted the defence (it is early days, give them a chance, I remember Stam in his early days). Next window, hopefully the Midfield (we know we are weak there and probably need two), next summer if Martial, Rashford and Greenwood haven’t stepped up, sort the attack.

I know as fans we want it now and it is easy to blame Ole, but this can’t be a quick fix. It is about stopping the rot and building properly. Anyway just my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolf8312

Hi guys newbie here, going to share my thoughts on the palace result.

We’ve been average for a long time, our recruitment has been poor at best. Ole is in and not everyone’s cup of tea but make no mistake it is a massive job he needed to clear out players who aren’t good enough or who are a disruptive influence, Lukaku, Sanchez, Rojo, Fellaini, possibly some other defenders and eventually Pogba (yes I know he’s good) but does he really want it for Man Utd?

Then he needed to recruit, to buy world class (when you are not in the C.L) is not easy and means we can’t get the bodies we need, so he’s doing it differently, he’s sorted the defence (it is early days, give them a chance, I remember Stam in his early days). Next window, hopefully the Midfield (we know we are weak there and probably need two), next summer if Martial, Rashford and Greenwood haven’t stepped up, sort the attack.

I know as fans we want it now and it is easy to blame Ole, but this can’t be a quick fix. It is about stopping the rot and building properly. Anyway just my two cents.
Getting rid of Lukaku was just daft. Yeah he may not be the kind of player united fans want or believe is good enough for united but in this team?

Want to get rid then fair enough, but at least line up a replacement first.

Steve 007

You are right, we should have got a replacement for Lukaka it was bad planning from Ed.

The way I see it is this, there are too many disruptive egos at the club.
Lukaka is a goal scorer but he didn’t suit the style of play, was overweight and had a stinking attitude.

Pogba has publicly stated he wants out, how can we keep him long term when he can down tools whenever he likes.

Sanchez is on mega cash for nowt, he’s driving a wedge between the other players and the club.

Lingard is behaved like an 18 year old child who’s just won the World Cup, these players all need to go, they can’t all go at once that would be suicide.

I know we all appreciate that pogba is a great player but he’s not doing the business and he is unlikely to do so because he doesn’t want to be here.

The culture of our club is wrong and this takes a long time to change, realistically if we get top 4 this year and over the next two windows keep changing our squad, we’ll be laughing.

We could have gone out and done what Real Madrid have done but I’d bet they are in for a poor season too. I’m not defending the Glazers or Ed (they created this mess) but I do think we need to be realistic and give Ole some time. It is not a simple or easy job.

Last edited:

iKeano

Aside from the glaringly obvious and numerous problems both on and off the pitch at OT on Saturday, I spotted a new (old) concern raising its head.

Palace had a player go down injured in the first half. Stayed down. Crowd booed. Got treatment on the pitch for a good 3-5 minutes. Taken to the side-line & allowed back on.

Ten minutes later, Shaw goes down in our own box. Maguire lifts him to his feet (which I like, unless Shaw was actually injured). Now - anyone who's ever ran anywhere has likely had a hamstring twinge at some point. You know what it is, you know how delicate it is. Sunday league footballers would pull the pin instantly. So either Shaw didn't have the brains to tell Maguire it was his hammy and to leave him be OR he didn't know it was his hammy. In any event, he sought help from the medical team on the side-line. Again, he either didn't know it was his hamstring, or they didn't go through adequate checks.

My gripe is, they sent him back on the pitch AND he went back on the pitch. Go back into position and sit down if you need time for Young to warm up. Stop the game like Palace did. Be savvy. DONT RUN ON A POTENTIAL HAMSTRING INJURY.

No, it seems they just sent him back out on a wing and a prayer.
Meanwhile, Palace storm down the right wing at the injured Shaw, Maguire gets caught coming across to cover. Palace score.

How can a Premiership team be so naive and inadequate at decision making when a pub team on a Saturday knows better?! Just indicative of the complete panic that goes along with every decision from the side-lines at Utd these days.

Lunatics running the asylum.

overtheborder

Palace had a player go down injured in the first half. Stayed down. Crowd booed. Got treatment on the pitch for a good 3-5 minutes. Taken to the side-line & allowed back on.

Ten minutes later, Shaw goes down in our own box. Maguire lifts him to his feet (which I like, unless Shaw was actually injured). Now - anyone who's ever ran anywhere has likely had a hamstring twinge at some point. You know what it is, you know how delicate it is.

Meanwhile, Palace storm down the right wing at the injured Shaw, Maguire gets caught coming across to cover. Palace score.

Just indicative of the complete panic that goes along with every decision from the side-lines at Utd these days.

Lunatics running the asylum.
To be fair though it wouldn't be the first time (even in modern times) that a potentially injured player has been allowed to stay on in case they run it off etc. I wouldn't say it's less adequate management-wise than in other cases or unique to the club, just a part of sport.

iKeano

To be fair though it wouldn't be the first time (even in modern times) that a potentially injured player has been allowed to stay on in case they run it off etc. I wouldn't say it's less adequate management-wise than in other cases or unique to the club, just a part of sport.
My point is though, that any amateur sports person knows you can't "run off" a hammy.

If they needed time, go back on the pitch and sit down. Stop the game, give the bench and subs time to do what they need.

Don't run on a suspect hammy... That's as basic as it gets!

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 532 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace
  • 29% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace