PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2019

pacifictheme

Says a lot about the mentality of james that he celebrated an 88th minute equalizer at home to palace like that. Shoulf just be grabbing the ball and getting back to half way tbh.

Hes young but yeah, that needs to change.

Johnson Yip

This was a very, very disappointed game. We continued to build up the attacks with absolutely no tempo at all - since when did we open up a defense with good attacking play?? These days, we can only score with a flash of individual brilliance or defensive mistakes from the opponents. Where are our attacking coaches??

Enfant terrible

Ok, maybe it s time to think about changing the formation? We dont have a 10. Why do we keep pretending Lingard can deliver.
4123 would have won this one for us.

Pogba has to be closer to their goal in this kind of games.

Defense
Mct
Fred Pogba
James Martial Rashford

FFS WE CANT DROP 5 POINTS LIKE THIS!
Set pieces? Comedy.
Build up? Comedy.
Penalty? Ffs

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Today was the reality check we needed.

If you expect anymore than mid table then you need to check reality. Average side with average players.

Need another couple windows.

Tony247

need creative no. 10...
need creative no. 10...
need creative no. 10...

Can't rely solely on Pogba to create each and every opportunity. We are clueless around 18 yard box.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Well that's put me in bad mood.

Playing a complete tosspot at no.10 who creates absolutely zero. When will someone in charge finally realise that this idiot cannot play football at this level. Wasted one hour for nothing
Nothing apart from off target free kicks until Lingard went off, Rashford who was poor and Martial have to create things for themselves.
Lindelof poor again, so weak. Maguire bad positioning for first goal.

Greenwood was disappointing when he came on even AWB wasn't that good today. Miss another penalty.
Pogba loses possesion in a bad area again.
DDG hopeless for second goal.

Despite all that why wasn't VAR used for Cahill's "booking" which surely should be a red and why wasn't VAR used for the ful on Martial when he shot just over but was used for Rashford which clearly wasn't a penalty.
Referee was hopeless including booking of James who was clearly fouled.
James' effort all match was great and topped it off with a goal.

Despite not playing well we were still mugged.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Statistics says we dominated the game and we missed a penalty by hitting the post. Seems to me it’s an unfair loss.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
For the first time i'm starting to wonder if Ole is out of his depth here.
Sure we've caught some bad luck here and there last two games but our attacking play is abysmal. Our build up is so slow.
Mctominay is useless so far back. Comes alive when he joins attack.
Lingard adds nothing against teams that defends deep.
James and Rashfords decisionmaking have been poor last two games.
Lindelöf has had a slow start, Smalling, Jones and Tuanzebe must all be close to start next game.

At least we have a really young team and should improve during the season.
Nah man, this one is on the players. How many chances did Palace get due to tactics?
We suffocated their play and limited them.
They got the first goal because Maguire eas covering for the injured Shaw and Lindelof lost a header (surprise).

They got the second on a counter attack. Did you at all feel that the team was going to concede throughout the game?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's all this shower of shite deserve. Top 6 will be a struggle. Chelsea are shite too. Could easily see Leicester and Wolves getting 5 and 6.

The optimism before the game on Monday compared to now. From potentially top of the table to back where this set of players belong in less than a week. City already out of reach for us, and they are on the same number of points :lol:

Roy'sMagicHat

I’m so so gutted. Can’t remember the last time I’ve been so distraught over a game of football.

Cockney Phil

Our two previous games were both of two halves - sublime and ridiculous. This was a long old haul of ninety minutes of different moments weaved together in a bizarre patchwork of the horror of modern football. VAR and the ref vied for the celebrity spot.

Rashford missed a penalty, which was probably due to Martial’s over enthusiasm to give him the ball. :lol: McT played like a top professional footballer but then Lindelhof pulled the same stunt as one of his first games 2 seasons ago at HT. So much for our mega defence with two howlers of epic consequences. James was fouled so the ref rather predictably booked him, but he got up and scored a cracker. Then we went to pieces - so I blame James for giving us hope - he needs to be more responsible!:)

So there it is, we lost to a crap team. We have no midfield and no one who can open up a packed defence. Our forwards drift too much and show petulance when they should be stepping up. The goalie is not a good captain, not his fault, we just need inspiration in the middle. Pogba pulled out a fantastic pass and our forwards watched the ball instead of pouncing. Like I said before, this is going to be a long season.

fjred

Well it looks like Jose was right all along though.

How on earth are Rojo, Young, Darmian, Jones, Mata, Lingard, Matic, Sanchez etc still here.
Yeah, but he was responsible for bringing in Darmian, Matic, Bailly, Sanchez and Fred is yet to show anything worthwhile. He also played pretty tumescent football and expected the club to make up for his many expensive recruitment mistakes. No club can operate that way. I've never been keen on him since his Porto days

Tony247

For likes of Lindelof there is only one message

If you can't head a ball away then you need to be sooooooooo good in all other areas to call yourself a worthy CB.

RedAlways78

DDG should have done better at 1-1.

I said this last season. We rushed to make Ole permanent manger at the beginning of the year.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
As much as the referee was shit and I question Ole’s managerial in-game decisions, we still should have won today. Players failed at key moments.

RAVred

Pogba was MotM for me and dominated the midfield. Once again our biggest weakness is left back regardless if its shaw or young playing there. We also have no traditional striker that is dominant in the air anymore as a result of marginalising Lukaku from the team. But the strategy for sides where we'll dominate possession clearly needs to be adjusted due to this. We dont have a creative number 10 or the technically capable players to score by opening passing channels vs teams playing tight so maybe need more midfield or CB movement into the box in regards to teams like this or we're wasting crosses ala this game.

I feel like the experience of the team showed that no one even attempted to foul the player moving the ball towards our net near the end of the game.
Any cynical team wouldve done a smart foul and copped the yellow.

Also Rashford isnt good enough to be starting forward for us... And Im sure everyone knew this, until his attitude improves I'll still think this. its understandable being young and developing but hes so wasteful at times for no reason, e.g. when he tried to do a 30 yarder for no apparent reason other than frustration.

Red_toad

Pogba, McTommy and Maguire very much look Manchester United players. Rest of em... the jury is still out.

croadyman

Not sure I can be arsed with this season now. Last two weekends ruined. Genuinely don't know what to say.
The brutal truth is that the week swung on that penalty at Wolves,unfortunately it went the wrong way and went downhill rapidly from there

TommiHelm

Yet another manager out the door by the end of the season I recon. Only for the board to give us more "we tried to, but the market just isn't right" bullshit again next summer. And so it goes, round and round. We will not win another league title until before the Glazers and Woodie fecks off. Easiest prediction ever.

MetoTTT

No words for this. We're the Liverpool years ago. I don't even blame the players (good or not good enough). We're such a mess! How many bad decisions over and over again since SAF retired? Nothing changed!

Hansa

Says a lot about the mentality of james that he celebrated an 88th minute equalizer at home to palace like that. Shoulf just be grabbing the ball and getting back to half way tbh.

Hes young but yeah, that needs to change.
I wonder if anyone told him off, cause in the next frame he was sprinting back. I'm pretty sure he won't do it again.

ShadyOne

When you add up all the negatives from today, it really doesn't bode well for us moving forward.

Lingard genuinely inept as usual, and that attempt to control Pobga's driven pass in the box really sums him up. Simply not good enough

Rashford absolute tosh. I can just about excuse a penalty miss, but pointless pot shots from 30 yards out is embarrassing

Shaw & Martial injured

Lindelof will never be a dominant CB and did nothing to affect the play for Palace's 2nd goal

DDG continuing his poor form from last season (Or maybe this is just his level now)

Pogba forcing the play or losing possession in unforgivable areas of the pitch

The lack of urgency, 0 creativity/ideas, no one looking to take the game by the scruff of the neck. Pure cowardice

We know how Palace are going to set up, so what use does Jesse '0 goal contributions this year' Lingard serve starting? Why wasn't Gomes on the bench?

Couple all of the above with the lack of depth we have, and it's really not looking good.

predator

Youth NITK
I genuinely was shocked to see us fail to sign a proper centre forward in the summer. I am confused about those saying we should've used Mata earlier to unlock the palace defence and similar comments against teams that will sit back and effectively make our counter attack useless.
We have no one with an all round attacking presence in the box. No one at all. We have Rashford, martial, James, Greenwood who lack that killer instinct that great strikers have. Why we didn't sign mandzukic I'll never know. In the final 20 minutes of the game today I am certain he or somebody with his attacking presence in the box would've caused them much more trouble then anyone out there for us today.

It was so blindingly obvious that we need a striker. I know they are few and far between when it comes to world class ready strikers like RVP, Ruud but there are many around who would give us a different option when we are being nullified, players like our own fecking manager in his playing days.

It's so confounding how Ole has completely missed it.

croadyman

Muppets here didn't want Dybala. We are beyond clueless in the final 3rd.
We had 15 shots and 1 on target about 20 minutes before the end, and that 1 on target was a rashford volley from about 40 yards out.

Not to mention the refereeing was one of the worst displays of officiating I had seen in a while.
I definitely wanted him but who would want to join our joke of a club with how shabbily it's being run

minoo-utd

This is the ambitions of our club right now. If they wanted more they would've should've got more players. We still need striker, winger and a f midfielder.

RedDevilRoshi

That was disgraceful. Just feel so damn angry and embarrassed after that. Losing at home to a team that in their past two games were not only struggling to score but struggling to create chances in those previous 2 games. Players and the coaching staff need to take a good damn look at themselves in the mirror after that.

MaroonDevil

Young’s passing is still the same. If United is still rely on Young I don’t have anything to say.

edgecutter

Today was the reality check we needed.

If you expect anymore than mid table then you need to check reality. Average side with average players.

Need another couple windows.
Average players on astronomical wages is my main concern. How the board have allowed this to happen is beyond me. I was even concerned with de gea getting a new contract.

Rafaeldagold

Losing at home to palace is disgusting.

Yet people will stick with Ole even if we’re mid table - NEVER hire ex players as manager

Okey

What a way to dampen the spirits on such a lovely weather weekend. We're really just an average team aren't we? Average players. Average manager. Average coaching. Anything noteworthy this season will be an overachievement. Until we replace average with quality. Buckle in lads...it's gonna be a long long season.

NJM78

Where are all the people on here who told me to basically feck off for suggesting this season will be shite and we will not get top 4 etc especially after the window we had.
I just do not get what they see or did see that told them we would improve so much. We could’ve signed prime Maldini and Ferdinand and it wouldn’t make a difference, when we already couldnt score or create but then sell a midfielder and forward without even replacing them!?

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 532 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace
  • 29% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace