PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2019

Konimey

8 corners yet not even threatened the goal from even one of them, Palace had one and almost scored the 2nd goal. What is ole doing during practice?? Does he even have tactical routines set up for set pieces? Or is it just lump and hopefully one of them sticks. But the biggest flaw is playing Pogba deep, he should be up front making those clinical short passes to open up defenses, taking shots and be an aerial threat. Ole seems almost like 3rd year Jose 2.0 in terms of tactics.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yet more struggling to choose someone for motm. Guess it has to be James for that goal, although I think Martial otherwise. No one was really good throughout.

K13

But, if those two penalties were scored we'd be still unbeaten. :lol:
Exactly and also if VAR was doing what it should be doing ..
Martial would not have been flagged offside v wolves when clear through
Martial would have had a penalty today - 100% certain
Rashford would have had a penalty today - 95% certain
Possibly playing against 10 men from 30 mins as Cahill could have gone off - I don't think he was last man
James would not be sitting on 2 yellows for simulation
and ...
Shaw pulling his hamstring just as they were counter attacking down the left - that is just bad luck and we paid the price
If there was less of the off pitch drama with the penalty takers Rashford would most likely have dispatched his kick.

So I am still extremely happy at how things are going. We are scoring goals creating them and we have looked far stronger all over the pitch. If decisions had gone for us we would be on 9 points. We will get some undeserved luck down the line as it all evens out in the end.

Reynoldo

Should’ve kept Moyes for 6 seasons then.
I’m starting to think we might actually have been in a better position now had we kept him for six years :houllier: We are just a mishmash now of several different regimes of shite

dal

Seriously not sure how we lost that

I always read the post match and hardly post however the more sensible posts seem to come 2-3 hours after the final whistle

We played well and lost unlucky to not be up at half time there a distinct improvement in our play.

Pogba loses the ball far too much he’s infuriating but a necessity McTominay lost it cheaply also its a frantic at the moment but honestly at least it’s enjoyable minus the loss which we had anyway last season

We were the best team in our 3 games and only won one. Liverpool were largely crap for there first 3 games but won 3

There in lies the difference we need to get the balance of desire work rate and quality right.

I think it’s a freak result but regardless I see our football seems to be getting better we just need 1-2 world class additions who want to play for us

Long road ahead..

Reactions: Grinner

CM10

Unfortunately there's only so far players with workrate and desire can take you. We lack quality in a number of positions and not enough of them were addressed in the summer.

OleGunnar20

Lingard really epitomizes what Ole is. Someone who loves the club and is willing to work as hard as possible but ultimately is just not good enough. This season will be a roller coaster of highs and lows, just strap on boys!
I hope you meant strap in..

Although, maybe your version is more fitting for the season we've got ahead of us

Enigma_87

You know who
I’m starting to think we might actually have been in a better position now had we kept him for six years :houllier: We are just a mishmash now of several different regimes of shite
When someone is not up to the task you give him the boot.

However some would need real hard evidence and would bury their heads in the sand hoping for a miracle.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ole has made a team of mid table quality yes men hasn’t he

Terminator

This is what happens when good players are not replaced. There is a lot more pain about to be unleashed on United this season. Will be tough watching football this year.

redmanx

The negativity here is mind blowing; yes, we lost to Palace at home, no, things are not good enough often enough, but its not even September and already people want Olly out, some seem to want Moyes back ffs! There is no way the board will remove Olly in the foreseeable future, 5 managers in less than 10 years is simply NOT the way Manchester United operates so Im afraid those of you want him out will have to put up with it, or you could simply not go to matches or switch allegiance to City or Liverpool where theres probably a better chance of winning silver ware.

Renegade

The negative things that happened are things that were highlighted in the summer by so many fans.

-Shaw reliability and poor back up. (People mentioned going in for Tierney)
-lack of pace between Lindelöf & Maguire
-James being signed to be a ready made starter. People argued he’d be eased in or super sub.
- Mctominay not being ready to be our main CDM
- Lingard being our creative output
- thin bare squad and no attacking reinforcements
- over reliance on Pogba

Fans that had these concerns were being shot down for not being supportive though. It was so blatant to see.

Eddy_JukeZ

Well this season is a write off like many thought.

Fight for top 4 if that.

We look absolutely clueless when attacking a parked bus/low block. Easily the worst of the top 6 in this regard.

We don't have enough goals in the side.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The negativity here is mind blowing; yes, we lost to Palace at home, no, things are not good enough often enough, but its not even September and already people want Olly out, some seem to want Moyes back ffs! There is no way the board will remove Olly in the foreseeable future, 5 managers in less than 10 years is simply NOT the way Manchester United operates so Im afraid those of you want him out will have to put up with it, or you could simply not go to matches or switch allegiance to City or Liverpool where theres probably a better chance of winning silver ware.
But 4 managers in less than 10 years is the Man United way ? There ain't gonna another SAF, if Ole doesn't get the team close to competing for a CL spot, he will get sacked.

I hope you meant strap in..

Although, maybe your version is more fitting for the season we've got ahead of us
:lol:

JohnnyLaw

Just way too early in the season for a stumble like this. Was hoping that we’d be able to ride the wave of positivity through most of the first half of the season and then boost the team in january to keep the energy going throughout the rest of the season. I reckon we’re fecked now, doubts will start setting in.

manunited1919

Ole needs to drop Lingard. Starting him nullifies much of our creativity and puts pressure on the team needlessly.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
But 4 managers in less than 10 years is the Man United way ? There ain't gonna another SAF, if Ole doesn't get the team close to competing for a CL spot, he will get sacked.

I hate this Manchester United Way thing at the moment. We struck gold with two of our managers. In between we fire managers. We stick with managers who are very successful. Fail in one way or another and you are gone.

AndyMUFC

Absolute crap today. You just know what teams we're going to struggle against and nothing has changed there. Still got no creativity whatsoever, with our only real creative player playing far too deep to make a difference. We rely on individual brilliance, and our players are too inconsistent to be relied on to that all the time.

Lingard as a 10 is absolutely not going to work and we need to get Pogba further up the pitch as stated above, not only because it suits his game more but also so he's less likely to make daft decisions that cost us goals like he did today.

kouroux

I hate this Manchester United Way thing at the moment. We struck gold with two of our managers. In between we fire managers. We stick with managers who are very successful. Fail in one way or another and you are gone.
We have changed many times since SAF retired, I don't see why we'd stick longer with OGS if he doesn't deliver

Water Melon

If he continues to serve what he has been in his last 15-20 games, he is extremely likely to be sacked in the foreseeable future.

SteveW

I always read the post match and hardly post however the more sensible posts seem to come 2-3 hours after the final whistle

We played well and lost unlucky to not be up at half time there a distinct improvement in our play.

Pogba loses the ball far too much he’s infuriating but a necessity McTominay lost it cheaply also its a frantic at the moment but honestly at least it’s enjoyable minus the loss which we had anyway last season

We were the best team in our 3 games and only won one. Liverpool were largely crap for there first 3 games but won 3

There in lies the difference we need to get the balance of desire work rate and quality right.

I think it’s a freak result but regardless I see our football seems to be getting better we just need 1-2 world class additions who want to play for us

Long road ahead..
This is where I am too. We've been extremely unlucky. Should have 3 wins.

DomesticTadpole

We have changed many times since SAF retired, I don't see why we'd stick longer with OGS if he doesn't deliver
We did between Sir Matt and Sir Alex as well. It really isn't out of the ordinary. The only thing I would say is with Ole wanting to go younger and we appear to be wanting to rebuild our academy structure. Now do we let him do that no matter what our league position is, hoping that we then get a great side which will see us set for years?

Sweet Square

Long road ahead..
We played poorly but agree with this post.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You genuinely don't think any other manager could have got better results than 3 wins in 15?! That is relegation form, and I very much doubt that any other top club would keep a manager on after a run like that.

I hear what you're saying about needing to stick with a manager and give them time and support, with a long-term plan, but if you're going to do that then you have to be as certain as you can be that you've got the right guy...what is it about Ole that makes you believe that he is that guy?
I don't, you're putting words in my mouth, for some reason.
My point is really obvious.
We've had similar results every season since Ferguson retired, other than the season we've finished second we've been consistently average.
Like I've already said, we were spent towards the end of last season, we went through the motions after a disaster season, it's pointless to discuss it.
This season, we'll likely finish around our usual place (4-7) and sacking the manager won't change much (based on the years we've seen post Ferguson)

b20times

Blimey. Crystal Palace at home. That was worse than the Cardiff match. And here was me thinking Utd are back. Just not good enough. What's the excuse now?

Last edited by a moderator:

K13

Well we had 3 from when I started supporting in the 70's pre Pre Sir Alex.
So the last 6 years have been very unlike us with this hire and fire mentality.
Looking forward to the board holding their nerve and sticking with Ole because I think he is very good for us
I like what I see ... I guess time will tell

DomesticTadpole

The thing that is really worrying me is the squad depth. We picked up a couple of knocks and now it is how Ole deals with that, does he throw kids in or do we lo and behold end up with the same players who failed miserably last season back in the team?

kouroux

Well we had 3 from when I started supporting in the 70's pre Pre Sir Alex.
So the last 6 years have been very unlike us with this hire and fire mentality.
Looking forward to the board holding their nerve and sticking with Ole because I think he is very good for us
I like what I see ... I guess time will tell
I pray you are right. I have been skeptical from day 1 of his confirmation. We went too prematurely with it

Foxbatt

It is not the result but the way we played without any plan. Ole does not have a plan apart from pressing and counter attack. When other teams do not give us the space behind their defence he does not know what to do. His idea is as the same as in 1999. It is not the way football is played now. WIth the strikers we have now any high ball is going to be defended by their defenders.
There is no tactics at all. There is no movement off the ball.

Dread Devil

Absolutely gutted after that. Was sure we were going to win after James goal.

Hugely frustrating day, can’t fault the effort but we ran out of ideas and luck. The kids are feeling the pressure from continuously being in the news / twitter.

A Cantona figure would be amazing if we could find one ..someone with experience to encourage and lead by example.

I am still very hopeful for these young guys and looking forward to the good days...

K13

I pray you are right. I have been skeptical from day 1 of his confirmation. We went too prematurely with it
I don't disagree with that but I personally think he has identified where we need to strengthen and deserves some backing now he is the manager.

We have looked fitter. We can press now and we have alot of pace. He is still working on their fitness now - identifying this month with 1 game a week as a time to improve it still
He has made vital changes - switching Rashford and Martial so they both play to their strengths
He has bought in a ball playing CB and so we get Pogba in the game more.
He identified that Young needed to be phased out and bought well. We still have Dalot for future as well
He has tried to get a creative midfielder - he personally spoke to Eriksen for instance.
He is giving the likes of McTominay & Greenwood valuable time on the pitch and long term that has always paid off for us. When we are a little more stable I am sure he will give Gomes and Chong more time.

I understand the frustration but I just feel if we stay positive as supporters then the team will be the better for it because it is clear some of the negativity has got to the players. That is just my opinion and maybe as a mum I see them just as young men who like my own teenage boys still need support and encouragement.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Couldn’t believe how badly we performed today.

Gutted.

kouroux

I don't disagree with that but I personally think he has identified where we need to strengthen and deserves some backing now he is the manager.

We have looked fitter. We can press now and we have alot of pace. He is still working on their fitness now - identifying this month with 1 game a week as a time to improve it still
He has made vital changes - switching Rashford and Martial so they both play to their strengths
He has bought in a ball playing CB and so we get Pogba in the game more.
He identified that Young needed to be phased out and bought well. We still have Dalot for future as well
He has tried to get a creative midfielder - he personally spoke to Eriksen for instance.
He is giving the likes of McTominay & Greenwood valuable time on the pitch and long term that has always paid off for us. When we are a little more stable I am sure he will give Gomes and Chong more time.

I understand the frustration but I just feel if we stay positive as supporters then the team will be the better for it because it is clear some of the negativity has got to the players. That is just my opinion and maybe as a mum I see them just as young men who like my own teenage boys still need support and encouragement.
Regarding the negativity affecting, you are 100% right. Specially in this era of social media

ForlanFletcherPee

We were shit.

Lindelof needs to be dropped, we should give Tuanzebe or Smalling a run with Maguire.
I can accept a player not being great in the air, but there’s no way we should accept a player giving a header so softly knowing there’s no one behind him, foul him ffs, the guy looks like he cares about his fouls stats more than preventing a goal.

Lingard hasn’t scored a goal in what, half a year? probably well over that, that’s Man United’s starting no.10 for you.
We can’t possibly be playing a defensive no.10 week in week out, absolutely nothing player, might as well play Fred in there.

De Gea had a horrific game too.
God bless you, I keep telling people Smalling is better than him, aerial prowess of a defender is so much important as that's what small teams result to when they want to break down your defence, use Smalling and drop Lindelof see Liverpool, VVD and Matip 1.95/1.94 Smalling and Maguire will give u that balance

K13

Regarding the negativity affecting, you are 100% right. Specially in this era of social media
So true about social media and even though it seems to be a small percentage of people it takes one negative comment to wipe out the good from 99 positive ones.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 532 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 37% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace
  • 29% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace