PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 September 2020

Siorac

Yeah Ole seems to have completely lost faith in him. Presumably he has good reasons, but I’d love to know what they are.
He's probably shite in training. I mean, he came on today and his touch looked heavy and he seemed slow and ponderous.

pascell

Hats off to Palace, they played it perfectly with their tactics. However, we're too easy to play against with Pogba holding, its too easy to bypass him as he doesn't have the defensive qualities to play as a deep midfielder.

We don't defend as a collect unit either, what are we actually coaching our defenders to make them better players?

Our players severly lack awareness and positioning skills, too many times we tried to build from the back, for our players to run into a group of the opposition players, as their attempt to show from the ball. There were actually a few instances, too many for my liking, were Bruno had to physically point out where he wanted a player to be.

Our Wingers/Inside Forwards need to be more flexible and have variety when attacking, we're doing the same things over and over. If coming on the inside isn't working, go on the outside and hug the touchline to create space for other players.

I fully accept we're not at our sharpest but some of the passes we misplaced, there's just no excuses for.

Enfant terrible

This was just awfull.
Worst performamce under Ole IMO.
Was this a performance for the board?
Not a single minute of quality from anyone in the team.

Devil may care

Steaming turd of a performance, the biggest worry was in the end we just resorted to throwing everything forward, there wasn't any real change of tactics, just more bodies getting in each others way.

I'm sure the penalty farce and tge fact Palace have an extra game will be used tontry and deflect, but we didn't deserve anything from the game, disjointed going forward, sloppy in possession and wide open like a hookers legs in defence.

Redfrog

The first goal was more Shaw's fault than Lindelof's. If Shaw is in better position that's not a goal. The other two goals were unfortunate more than anything especially the second.
No, if Lindelof wasn't that weak he would have closed down the player. Shaw was at fault too but if you need a last ditch tackle to stop an attack you are in trouble.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If it was that is extremely risky.
I disagree with that statement but is it? This shows where we would be in a few months if we don't add 2-3 players (we won't).

Ole's preparing the fans, I guess, and showing the clowns upstairs what awaitis with no investment.

Rolaholic

Quite depressing that that was the best our £110m CB pairing could offer against Crystal fecking Palace...

Pretty sure the likes of Mengi, Tuanzebe or Smalling could serve up better than that for a fraction of the price

Ekeke

This is not feasible. The board have coughed up cash for a string of centerbacks for a couple of managers now. And they've spent big money as well. They've also extended the contract of another defender in Phile Jones. After all this if the team is still in need of starting CBs then spending more money in that area does seem futile.

If we need to bring in defenders for our starting 11 every year, no wonder we can't add in other areas. None of the bunch who are at the club seem to be progressing and they keep making the same mistakes over and over. And each one seems to be weak in their own way.

We should just go for pure defenders even if they are oafs in possession. No point in keeping ball playing defenders who can neither defend nor play any ball. Go with the mid table team approach of hoofing defenders if it ensures we tighten up at the back. Given a good defence, we'd be in with a shout of nicking any game. Simjlar to what Palace did last year. 31 goals scored in 38 games. But they were pretty tight at the back. This sort of a defence will always give you a chance of winning any game.
And after all that Smalling is still one of our best CBs and he doesn't want to be here. We cant be content with signings that didnt work out, move them on and do better with the money we get from them

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I disagree with that statement but is it? This shows where we would be in a few months if we don't add 2-3 players (we won't).

Ole's preparing the fans, I guess, and showing the clowns upstairs what awaitis with no investment.
Thank goodness Dortmund were playing at the same time so Sancho wasn't watching.

Fluctuation0161

If players weren't fit then don't play them.

Not sure how Lingard would have played worse than Pogba or Bruno? Or Bailly than Lindelof? Bruno and Pogba looked unfit and we barely had any control in midfield. Would Fred be that bad that he didn't play ahead of Pogba?

Ole needs to understand that just by putting big names doesn't win you games. Play the team that is fit enough to play. Making decisions is what he gets paid for and he gets them wrong everytime.
I disagree. He's tried that before and they are not good enough.

fps

The team sheet asked for trouble. And sure enough, there was trouble. Especially worried about Rashford he looks broken.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The team sheet asked for trouble. And sure enough, there was trouble. Especially worried about Rashford he looks broken.
I am scared that we played him with injury until it got that bad he couldn't go on and he is not going to recover properly.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'll be accused of being knee jerk but the way we lost today makes me wonder what's next for United. We do not look like we will be closer to the top of the table. Its possible we will 'compete' for fourth. What for though? We won't use it as a springboard to push on so why?

Yes, its just one game, but I do not see a 2012-13 rally in our future. I just see more middling performances and Ole ultimately being made a scapegoat for it by the suits. I'm not sure if I want to watch that.

Ole being f'd over by the club he loves might just be too much for me. I can still remember how happy I was when he scored that comeback goal against Charlton in 2006. He's been a favourite of mine for so many years. If the club treats him like garbage, as I expect they will, maybe its time to give up on this club?

mattsville

Have to say that was crap, we were aimless, clueless, at this stage of Ole's tenure there should be a play style, attacking desire, a complete dominant focus on attack, there was nothing, they did not even play well yet scored 3 goals. That performance felt like this is not going to work no matter who we sign, there was a lot of talent on the pitch but what they were trying to do I don't know, it is not new but you thought it might develop, after watching that I really do not think so. They did'nt even celebrate at full time, that is always an indication of just how bad it was.

Dan_F

I’ve got no idea what we are even trying to do to be honest. It’s massively concerning how they all looks like they’ve never played together before. That’s nothing to do with fitness.

Inability to create from open play was a big question mark for the second half of last season, and today was exactly the same. It’s a complete struggle to even get the ball over the half way line at times.

Strelok

No, if Lindelof wasn't that weak he would have closed down the player. Shaw was at fault too but if you need a last ditch tackle to stop an attack you are in trouble.
That's exactly what I hate about this clown. He only cares that the attacker doesn't get past him. But what's about the ball? The fecking ball? Can he even tackle to save his ass? And what Maguire did in that situation? Space defending ? Again? Space doesn't score goals ffs.

Lindelof was closing Schulf but he did nothing. Maguire and Shaw watched those two and did nothing. They didn't have any slightest idea that there was a fecking attacker coming behind them.

This is exactly like the goal against Seville. For some unknow reason, our defenders love ball watching and space defending instead of actually try to intercept the ball and look around to see what's the hell is going on.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
If Lindelof starts the next game, I'd say Ole is as clueless as his team selection today.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
How many seasons til the squad is fit enough? I've seen this excuse countless times over the last few years

SAFMUTD

What we saw today wont be fixed by next week, I predict we will have a terrible start and will be around the same situation as last year around December.

Another season wasted.

LuckyScout78

Pogba wasn’t ready after the COVID-19, so clearly. Should start DVB instead. And United right side.

Ole should start with the fittest and best players.

Wrong selection from Ole, players weren’t fit and the collective were so poor. Simple passer?So many missing simple passer. Most of them was Pogba. Definitely should start on the bench. Right from Covid quarantine and to line up.

So many things went wrong today. The penalties decision. Dark bad day. One of the worst match ever.

RedorDead21

Woodward’s program comments don’t fill me with confidence. We need to buy Sancho and another 60-70m in addition for afew more! Sounds like we don’t even have the cash for Sancho!

Preggy99

Let's hope that gutless performance puts a rocket up Woodward's arse now. If this doesn't then nothing will. We are desperate for a CB, have been for years. Just pay the Sancho money as well Woody you P#%@K

Clermontois

Supports
France
Though I did not see the game when I saw the formation I did not think about a win for us.

We can't keep playing the same formation against the high press and expect great results it makes no sense.

When Palace press it is essentially our two midfielders against their four midfielders and strikers which Ole should have figured out by now.

snowkarl

Most recently there was a journalist (Laurens) speculating that agents were scoffing at the way United conduct business. More or less insinuating it was known how they were nowadays, “incompetent”. It’s not a surprise, but being reminded of it on the eve of a performance like this one, is not great.

It just paints the picture of a squad that’s not ready with recruitment that won’t have the know-how to sort it. Today confirms the holes are there and that they might be bigger than previously imagined!

Again, it’s only one game, but it was the manner of the performance for me. Palace could have had 5. A Brighton win next match day would heap pressure on after only two games.
You're twisting his words.

He didn't speculate - he said they ALL SAY IT. Openly. That's revealing a fact, not speculating.

Everyone knows how poorly we conduct business. It is a fact.

United Junkie

Since's SAF's retirement we have spent around £750m and all we got in return is every other club laughing at us poor fecks.

If we want to stop this madness then stop spending money in to the club! Force the Glazers too release us and our beautiful club. Right now we are being held hostage.

Redfrog

That's exactly what I hate about this clown. He only cares that the attacker doesn't get past him. But what's about the ball? The fecking ball? Can he even tackle to save his ass? And what Maguire did in that situation? Space defending ? Again? Space doesn't score goals ffs.

Lindelof was closing Schulf but he did nothing. Maguire and Shaw watched those two and did nothing. They didn't have any slightest idea that there was a fecking attacker coming behind them.

This is exactly like the goal against Seville. For some unknow reason, our defenders love ball watching and space defending instead of actually try to intercept the ball and look around to see what's the hell is going on.
Yeah, actually it looks like wan-bissaka is our best defender. I think je does Lindelof work as well !
I cannot believe we spent 80 millions on Maguire. He is not bad but as fast as a stone. It is suicidal to play slow defenders with a high line and we have two ! Apparently they are good on the ball but appart from simple passes even Smalling can make I can't see it.

Lindelof costed us goals today but Maguire looks like a coward who is standing as far as possible from opposing players...it is always Lindelof who is defending so our captain can do no wrong...

I'm very sad when I'm thinking about Rio and Vidic. Rio was a real ball playing defender, he was pure class on the ball and Vidic was just a rock. We now have two scared trees at thé back !

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
How many seasons til the squad is fit enough? I've seen this excuse countless times over the last few years
Jesus, if some people on here are to be believed we are still 'tired' and should have played the kids during the Europa League because 'they saw this happening'.
Today was all about too many players being completely out of form. Fitness was fine, no signs of tiredness, just poor play from Pogba, Greenwood, Rashford, Lindlelof, Maguire and Mensah. That's half the team. No chance of that happens.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
CBs were poor and continue to show how lackluster they are. Pogba and Bruno were poor so we lacked bite. Rashford played I think. James can't have many defenders left. He was a poor signing and offers next to nothing.

DvdB knows how to play football. Bruno and him are a step in the right direction but we need more. It's been done to death but doesn't ring any less true, our depth is shocking. We've got a good first team but almost all the rest is not good enough.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 394 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace
  • 18% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace