PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 September 2020

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
This is what happens when a squad overperforms, and then there is no significant reinvestment. Shaw and Rashford were so poor today. Created nothing at all, and don't even look like being able to beat a man.

James and Fosu Mensah on the other side, the less said the better.

De Gea saved a pen finally but the ref made them retake it. That was a total disgrace from start to finish.

What a terrible start to the season. At this rate, even Spurs with Jose will start looking better than us.
I seen in the match day thread about 10 posters saying this. He saved a pen against van Persie in the 8-2 win albeit it was a long time ago, but he still saved a penalty. Made me think a lot of the posters on here are really young that they can't remember that amazing game. Not that it really matters.

::sonny::

Mid table team, Lindelof, a nullity, one of the worst signings in the last 30 yrs

dove

Don't worry guys, we are better than we think we are :lol:

Seriously speaking though, did anyone really expect anything else? You can look for lots of excuses like not enough signings, blame Ed, Glazers etc. but in reality we all know that the weakest part of the team is not RW or DM. It's the guy in the dugout.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
That was awful to watch. It seemed like every player was off his game and then also the teamwork was gone as well.

Giggsyking

That was awful to watch. It seemed like every player was off his game and then also the teamwork was gone as well.
One or three players playing bad and it is their individual performance. But when the whole team is shit it means only onething, Ole fans won't like to hear it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I didn’t get a good replay, but at a glance I would have bet Dave was only leaning forward at the moment of contact by the kicker.

Never seen a VAR call like that.

wolvored

Can see many more games like this. we havent got an aubamayang or aguero who can bail us out. We never created a clear cut chance all game. We seem to have gone back to the team of 12 months ago.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Some really odd decisions here. What exactly were we expecting James to do in this one? Who has decided McT is CDM? How is Fosu-Mensah playing for us?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Funny how we didn’t concede more than 2 goals in a league game in the entirety of last season. Straight in shipping 3 this season. We need a CB.

Foxbatt

Ole is too rigid. We get overwhelmed in the midfield. He needs to go two up front with Martial dropping deep and a CF playing with him. A diamond is the best. Drop Rashford.
We are going to be in trouble this season.

Marzo

We have to remain calm. The schedule is deeply fecked and unfair. Palace came into this with 5 games under their belt. We had none. No preseason at all. This shouldn’t have been allowed to happen. Absolute disgrace the premier league.
Sorry I disagree with this, every team knew the schedule, and I am sure the respective managers of each team, would have planned for this scenario, we clearly haven’t, but I won’t right us off yet, we will improve and get better, I will keep supporting.

Wilt

Ole blaming preparation and fitness ...that‘s your department Ole

Denis79

It is shocking how quickly people get on Ole. The team he picked today was strong enough to win. At least on paper it was. The players were abysmal. That's not always the manager's fault.
Ole has as much blame in this result as the players. Terrible performance from top to bottom.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
Maybe the best what could happen. Open the checkbook, everyone knows that a fast CB is the most needed position. If you want to go for the CL places and above he should already been here, but management is sleeping. And then I'm not talking about some other positions who need improvement. liverpool, man city, chelsea spend, Man Utd. spends less. Btw Donny was one of the best today.

Zlatattack

I forgot this was on today. I'm glad - what a waste of time.

Palace have a nice away kit though.

hungrywing

The worrying thing is Brunos form which appeared to hit a wall a few games after Pogbas return. It seemed Bruno preferred the higher energy Fred and McTom behind him doing the spade work so he could shine. Having said that this United team also carries too many other passengers that blow hot and cold.
That was one of the potential problems a few posters pointed out. We were built around just getting the ball to Bruno and letting him bludgeon the opposition. He gets the ball, everyone ahead makes a run; if it doesn't come off, Fred and McT work like mad to regain possession/stop the counter, rinse and repeat.

That being said, ole not playing Pogba further forward (together with Bruno) is a bit weird, too, no 'world class' DM behind them notwithstanding. Take a risk for Pete's sake.

Camilo

Ole out, shambles of a team, shit club, players, managers, the lot. I'm changing teams.

Chairman Steve

I was out with friends today so thank god I missed this crap. What a shit starting line up that is and what a horrific scoreline at home of all places.

Bristol_Red_87

Well, as D:Ream once said...things, can only get better!

I know this is the place for knee-jerk reactions so here's a novel thought..

Lets actually let the lads get into their work. We are miles behind most teams preparation wise and yes Ole can take some stick for that but it doesn't change the fact. It was evident who was playing their "fifth" game of the season and who was playing their "second".

If we're still churning out a performance like that come Tottenham, then fine, call for Ole, Ed and the entire first team's squad's heads!

We clearly need a CB and IMO a LB. A RW would be a bonus but we need to build from the back first.

Let's get through the window, hope we get a couple more bodies in and see where we are at come mid-October..

Amerifan

We desperately need Sancho 1
We are doing just fine 0
Sancho on his best day couldn’t have saved that cluster.

Serious question: How long has the squad been practicing together? Everyone acted like they hadn’t seen a football in months.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Same collection of embarrassing combinations who take no responsibility. Not surprising really to see that result from that level of performance really.

LVGSdive

Ole blaming preparation and fitness ...that‘s your department Ole
It's the reality. The Europa League semi final was on the 16th of August. The Premier league final day was on the 26th of July. That's around 2 weeks of rest and preparation that a lot other clubs have had, when taking into account they played their first game last week. That's clearly a significant advantage that Palace have had and they took full advantage of that today.

Wilt

It's the reality. The Europa League semi final was on the 16th of August. The Premier league final day was on the 26th of July. That's around 2 weeks of rest and preparation that a lot other clubs have had, when taking into account they played their first game last week. That's clearly a significant advantage that Palace have had and they took full advantage of that today.
That was Palace‘s 3rd game in eight days ....how can that be an advantage?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The decision to not play last week also cost us massively today

You could tell from the opening 10 minutes which team had played competitive football already and which hadn't.

youmeletsfly

The only player that can dribble through teams that defend well is played at DM.

For me that is kinda the end of the story.

b20times

Well that wasn't what I was expecting. Didn't see it coming one bit. Crystal Palace are our nemesis at home.
Is Bruno alright? I thought he'd broke his leg the way he went down, nasty tackle that.

RedIan

The better team won, we looked unfit and off the pace. i question why pogba started over Van de beeK, Pogba has just recovered from covid ffs.
Greenwood should have started, its almost as if ole felt he needed to make a point to Southgate, feck England, just play Our best players When fit - and sadly that will never be dan James, hes so out of his depth at this level... we need a Class Centre-half so badly - Over any other need....
Peeps slagging Scott McT - i thought he was our best of a bad bunch today. (Ok Van de beeK was good but a cameo)

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Sorry I disagree with this, every team knew the schedule, and I am sure the respective managers of each team, would have planned for this scenario, we clearly haven’t, but I won’t right us off yet, we will improve and get better, I will keep supporting.
How would you plan for it? Invent a time machine to loop the same week over and over until the players are fully fit? Don't be daft. The manager has only had the squad together since the start of the week due to the break needed and how we only finished our last 61 game season 5 weeks ago.

EngimaMK

Terrible performance. Only 2 slivers of light, firstly that VDB looks class and secondly that after that shit show there is no way the club can insist on not strengthening in this window.
There's been a bunch of players that we've bought in who look class but it's a far too consistent pattern that instead of dragging everyone else up to their class level, they end up falling in with everyone else and perform poorly.

There is a real sickness in man utd that I think only a change of leadership (manager, owners and board) will solve.

For a club that used to have such a pig headed, stubborn adherence to standards, we have started to fall well short. Apparently mediocrity is now the order of the day.

My worry is that we will never bounce back and these are the new normal standards.

Don't Kill Bill

We looked really poor defensively and in midfield and never looked like scoring upfront, If that doesn't improve very quickly we are in deep trouble.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 394 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace
  • 18% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace