PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 September 2020

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Why the feck do our defenders love passing the ball among themselves? I wish we had a Roy Keane in training who would tell them to pass the ball forwards.
I dont think much of our defenders but they do need players open and available to pass to. There were feck all options which is also connected to why we gave away possession with our passing as well. More difficult options put pressure on the ability of passes to be completed. The entire team looked to be like they had never met before.

Greck

So, are you suggesting that if you start prepare to start the season 1 week earlier, that you have a massive advantage over your rivals?
If this is the case, why don't we aim to have our team ready, 1 week before the season starts, every year? We'll surely win the league using this strategy. It sounds silly doesn't it?
The truth is that Wolves played last week, with the same rest time as us. They won. We lost (badly).

Some of you are acting as if CP are prime Barca and that we need all our best players, in peak condition to beat them.
It's a ridiculous argument.
100% the excuse in that situation would have been they were more rested than us

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
So, are you suggesting that if you start prepare to start the season 1 week earlier, that you have a massive advantage over your rivals?
If this is the case, why don't we aim to have our team ready, 1 week before the season starts, every year? We'll surely win the league using this strategy. It sounds silly doesn't it?
The truth is that Wolves played last week, with the same rest time as us. They won. We lost (badly).

Some of you are acting as if CP are prime Barca and that we need all our best players, in peak condition to beat them.
No I didn't suggest that nonsense did I. Palace started their pre season the day after we beat Sevilla. It's ridiculous to argue that it's not an advantage over us at this stage. We only had some players return to training on Monday.

Last edited:

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Why the feck do our defenders love passing the ball among themselves? I wish we had a Roy Keane in training who would tell them to pass the ball forwards.
I actually think Keane would be a better manager than Ole. He has a strong, fighting character, there is a fair bit of Fergie in him.

Judas

Open to offers
Don't blame him for the penalty as the new rule is laughable, but Lindelof really is one of the worst "first choice" CBs we've had in a very long time.

Terrible performance, writing was sadly on the wall with that lineup and it ended up being worse than I expected.

VDB was good though.

red4ever 79

Lindelof and Maguire are not good enough, both together and apart.
Lindelof - Pussy, gets bullied cant cope with the physical side
Maguire - Moves like a tortoise, cant turn quickly, his supposed strength 'passing' was diabolical yesterday. Leader my arse
McTom - Never a CDM. Has no positional awareness/cant pass through the lines. He is a squad player and nothing more. How he got in ahead of Fred is nothing more than blind favouritism
James - Giggs should be shot recommending him. Nowhere near good enough. Doesnt look up, cant see the pass, cant cross, cant beat a man outside

Maureen-yo

Lindelof and Maguire are not good enough, both together and apart.
Lindelof - Pussy, gets bullied cant cope with the physical side
Maguire - Moves like a tortoise, cant turn quickly, his supposed strength 'passing' was diabolical yesterday. Leader my arse
McTom - Never a CDM. Has no positional awareness/cant pass through the lines. He is a squad player and nothing more. How he got in ahead of Fred is nothing more than blind favouritism
James - Giggs should be shot recommending him. Nowhere near good enough. Doesnt look up, cant see the pass, cant cross, cant beat a man outside
I think this is one of our biggest shortfalls, we don’t have a proper DM when Matic isn’t fit (and he is going to play less and less due to age). While I applaud Bruno for tracking back and putting challenges in outside our box, he wouldn’t have to if we had a Fabinho/Ndidi/Busquets type DM.
Scott doesn’t, in my opinion, read the game well at all and gets pulled out of position constantly as a result. Probably not helping when the CBS step up and give the ball away or misjudge the flight of the ball often.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Cold light of day it doesn't feel any better.

We suspected we need our best eleven to win, so that right side was always worrying from the off.

The whole team looked off the pace. Palace looked like they were the senior athletics squad and we were some juniors who'd not trained over the summer.

Lindelof and Maguire have never looked more ropey.

Midfield totally off the pace.

Rashy in one of his 3-4month off form periods.

Martial barely got a look in.

VDB the only small positive on a dreadful day.

We're in for a huge battle to scrape 4th. Make no mistake at all. And if we don't bring anyone else in Ole might be under pressure by Christmas.

RoyH1

Had a family event and could only watch a recap of the game now. What a horrible way to start the season. I hope Ole gets his shit together fast.

Asger

you sound like United are prime Bayern. Half our squad would struggle to even start for Palace!

RedAlways78

WTF is going on here? It’s Crystal Palace at Old Trafford.

I’m so annoyed. Shaw caught out again sleeping. Pogba no energy. The others didn’t seem interested.

The only positive to take away from that woeful performance was VDB.

Maureen-yo

you sound like United are prime Bayern. Half our squad would struggle to even start for Palace!
Out of interest which Palace player would get into United’s first team?
Zaha maybe?
Townsend as a squad player?

Goes to show the power of a well drilled/coached collective unit.

Asger

Out of interest which Palace player would get into United’s first team?
Zaha maybe?
Townsend as a squad player?

Goes to show the power of a well drilled/coached collective unit.
Zaha and their defenders.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
People I want to see leave the club ASAP:

1) The Glazers, Woodward, Lindelof
2) James, Jones, Rojo
3) Lingard, Pereira
4) Shaw

Munkehboi

So I went from watching an entertaining match between Bayern trouncing Schalke on Fri night, 8-0 where Bayern pressed and ran them ragged for a good 80 mins to this pile of crap.

Bayern played the CL final a day after us and started their league campaign two days before us yet we looked completely gassed already in comparison.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
As I said early on in the Match Day thread: expected to win but wouldn't be at all surprised to lose. What was really annoying is that Palace played exactly as they did at Old Trafford last season - and we learnt nothing. Ole was absolutely clueless and the players looked as if they had never played before.

Awful performances all round and I know most people will be blaming Lindelof (and he was poor) but Maguire looked totally lost while Pogba did nothing other than lose the ball and foul people; from the first minute you could se he was going to be doing his headless chicken act.

It remains true that unless Bruno has a great game, we are the same side we were at the start of last season.
It's true that the penalty was ridiculous - Souness can say those are the rules but actually they are not: the ball was slammed at Victor from close range. As for having to retake, well if that is the new rule, no penalty will ever be missed - we'll have retakes every week.

Pretty much no positives. Others may disagree, but why was DDG so flat-footed for their third? I've been a huge backer of Shaw but I think he may be done. TFM was skinned every time. No idea what Ole was thinking picking the midfield he did and Martial was in anonymous mode again. Rashford was truly awful. Even Greenwood looked tired and lost when he came on. I don't buy this crap that Palace had had two games to be fitter. All the other teams at the top started well and looked fresh. There is something very wrong with our training and often last season I though we weren't as fit as other sides.

Overall zero out of 10. And not a hope of top four unless things change. And back in the Europa by Christmas

Asger

Would you have Zaha back? I think the price quoted is around £70 million. It’s not my money but I’d be inclined to say yes.
I’m sure he would be more consistent than Rashford but British value is insane.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It happens time and time again. To me that is bad preparation. Make sure there is fire in their bellies right from the first minute.
Either awful preparation, quite unlike Roy Hodgson with Palace, or too many players with big ego's who think they can drift through the game.

Reductions penalty by the way.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Don't blame him for the penalty as the new rule is laughable, but Lindelof really is one of the worst "first choice" CBs we've had in a very long time.

Terrible performance, writing was sadly on the wall with that lineup and it ended up being worse than I expected.

VDB was good though.
Lindelof was poor... Maguire was actually worse: didn't even have an positional sense half the time

Maureen-yo

I’m sure he would be more consistent than Rashford but British value is insane.
And he could play as CF, not sure what he’s like on the right.
Indeed, only need to look as far as Maguire to see how insane it is!

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Both were out earlier than us. Chelsea especially who played plenty of preseason games and also had their signings in way before us.
So why didn’t we play pre season games? Everything at our club is fecking amateur hour. From the players on the pitch, through the dugout, all the way to the boardroom. It feels like another nightmare campaign and we’re only one game in.

Gopher Brown

No I didn't suggest that nonsense did I. Palace started their pre season the day after we beat Sevilla. It's ridiculous to argue that it's not an advantage over us at this stage. We only had some players return to training on Monday.
All the players were allowed to go on holiday for 2 weeks after the Sevilla game, rather than cracking on with pre-season and having time for some friendlies.

They had had 3 months off from March-June, they should have been given a couple of days then right back to it.

On yesterday’s performance it’s going to be at least a month before we’re ready, and by then we’ll have 4 league defeats.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I actually think Keane would be a better manager than Ole. He has a strong, fighting character, there is a fair bit of Fergie in him.
I do have the impression that Ole is nothing like strict enough with the players.
Does he demand enough of them.
Is he able to lay the law down when when things are not as he wants.
Are all of the players prepared to run and work and do whatever it takes to get the result.

There is a massive difference between being close to the players and being their boss.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
All the players were allowed to go on holiday for 2 weeks after the Sevilla game, rather than cracking on with pre-season and having time for some friendlies.

They had had 3 months off from March-June, they should have been given a couple of days then right back to it.

On yesterday’s performance it’s going to be at least a month before we’re ready, and by then we’ll have 4 league defeats.
I think we're in big trouble for the Brighton game next week, they looked ahead of Chelsea despite the scoreline. Helped that it was the first PL game for both.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I can't remember a game where I felt so let down so long before the final whistle, there was no fight in the team, no quality and no drive right from the first minute. I barely reacted when we scored because I had zero confidence that we would get anything out of the game, it felt like a consolation goal scored in the 94th minute when you're already 4 goals down which is crazy given the amount of time that was left.

Sure it's only one game but to go out and play like that in a season opener is borderline criminal.

vanderpants

Lindelof and Maguire are probably our worst CBs in decades, 80m on Harry! The likes of Wes Brown And John Oshea were better. I know our scouting/requirement is bad but it takes the piss to forgive my french. Feels worse this morning know we are already playing catch up to teams like Everton and last night wasn't a one of, look at the last few games of last season where we struggled and for the fact of penalties that helped us out. Rashford and Martial are fans favorites but in reality, there don't score enough goals and of course, goals win games. It's going to be a long tough season and its only just started. And if you think the Glazers and Ed will panic buy, think again as we just don't have the money which is there for all to see

Litch

Whatever your views on OGS, that team selection was absolutely shocking. He puts blind faith in players that clearly aren't good enough and ultimately, it will cost him his job.

sparx99

The whole performance was lazy. We didn’t work hard enough pressing in defence and we didn’t move enough in attack.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Whatever your views on OGS, that team selection was absolutely shocking. He puts blind faith in players that clearly aren't good enough and ultimately, it will cost him his job.
Wrong. Wan Bissaka had trained 4 times. That's it. He went against club advice and went to Dubai. He's a moron so will fit in well with this club.

sparx99

Palace played 4-4-2 away to the 3rd place team from last season.

Should our extra man in midfield torn them apart?

Siorac

He scored four goals last season.

People want Martial replaced after 23.
Rashford's probably a better direct comparison. And for all the criticism he gets here, he's miles ahead of Zaha.

Fahad Jawaid

I simply don't understand how the hell would any team for the start of the season be so unfit/lacking sharpness. From our team clearly Shaw, Pogba and Martial looked unfit. Martial has a very high level as regardless of his overall performance his touch, passing and general play is very good, so him failing to do basic things and poor touches was very unsual and clearly showed he is unfit.

Rashford also appears to be a different player post injury. I don't think any team can afford its primary LW to be unable to take anybody on or make runs behind the defender. I don't know whether its the injury which has resulted him to change his style of play, but he appears to play like Mata and we don't need another Mata.

James is not good enough for us now and will never be period. Mctominay is not a holding player and does not have the passing ability required to play that role and will never have. Lindelof will never be a good partner to Maguire due to him being weak and slow. It opens ourselves to anybody with decent pace to rip through our middle, furthermore he lacks concentration and could easily be bullied.

This all on Ole, to start half a team lacking match fitness was shocking and only expected from a Rookie manager not manager of Manchester United.

Now on to Woody and Glazers, its soo freaking obvious we are devoid of options, the problem with our options is, most top teams have squad options which are at the level of teams fighting between 6-10 place. Our options are seriously championship level. Fosu Mensah is the same player Palace let go and he started only few games for them. He is below their level but good enough for Manchester United? Similarly James was wanted by Leeds who was in championship but he is good enough to be first starting sub for Manchester united?

We need not only Sancho but another winger who can play in place of Rashford because he looks done. Perisic looks like a good option (10M at most) or go for Dembele with Loan and option to buy. Greenwood should be a substitute for Martial because he is wasted on the wing and Ighalo is useless, i love him but he is barely able to trap a football. There was one time yesterday where accidently he turned a defender and he had a chance to shoot but since he was unaware of space he turned inside again, it showed he is not good enough for us.

Signings required to turnaround our season Sancho, Dembele/Perisic and Telles

Starting 11:
Dembele/Sancho Martial Sancho/Dembele
Bruno Matic Pogba
Telles Maguire Bailly AWB
DDG

Monkey bus

I’m sure Ole didn’t want to go with that side as an ideal but he’s the guy who sees who has and hasn’t trained in the week. The selection was forced on him. The performance is another matter though.

Litch

Wrong. Wan Bissaka had trained 4 times. That's it. He went against club advice and went to Dubai. He's a moron so will fit in well with this club.
Wrong? How many times did Pogs train? Wasn't Wan on the bench? If morally they are taking some kind of stand, shouldn't he just not be in the squad?

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 394 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace
  • 18% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace