PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 03 March 2021

Josep Dowling

Woeful.
Only positive Henderson’s performance. We would have lost if de Gea was in.
But, it just shows what a lack of proper investment does. We’ve done well to be second. Cavani is good at times but he was never going to be the solution, he should be coming off the bench with 20 minutes to go. And we bought an 18 year old right winger who couldn’t come until January and will likely need at least a season to have any real influence.
Aside from that, Ole was way too late with the subs again.
Have to sign 3 top players down the spine of the team in the summer but I really doubt we will.
This is the constant problem at the club. Our transfer spend in the summer was still around £70-80m. Not a single one of those players gets in our best 11. Maybe Cavani now but most wouldn’t have said that at the beginning of the season. Why spend that sort of money if there is no improvement? I stand by we would have been better off buying Sancho for the daft transfer fee than getting in the 4 players we signed.

Giggsy13

3 wins from 9 since we were joint top of the league. We are fecking bottlers with a manager who enables it.

Scholsey2004

Form has dried up. Maybe reality has set in that theres zero chance of winning the league and thats affected morale. Running yourself into the ground playing three games a week all season is one thing when you think youve got a chance of winning it but its a totally different prospect when you know you cant. City have won what, 21 straight games now? We've improved a lot but we cant compete with that without a lot of very expensive additions. On top of that some of our theoretically best players havent been at the races this season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Couldnt create chances against one of the worst defences in the last couple of weeks

Heinzesight

Looking forward to hearing why a team with Maguire, Fred, Pogba and Fernandes (4 players wanted by City that chose United instead) can't compete with City, and why it's City's oil money that's causing you to post a points average of 1.8 per game.
Have a night off, there’s a good lad.

James35

That was dire. We only have 14 points from our last 10 games which is shocking. City beat us on weekend they will only need 5 more wins to take the title.

Ole is in a bit of trouble and has to hope our fortune changes soon to keep us in the top 4.
Bruno looks absolutely shagged and when he doesn't click we don't click.

RashyForPM

We have some real overpaid cowards in our team. The players absolutely do not care whatsoever. Only Deano made saves and tried to inject some urgency into the game. The rest should be fined a week’s wages. Disgraceful performance, yet some people will still defend it because Ole and the team can do no wrong.

Going player by player, Henderson was good. AWB and Shaw meh, Maguire and Bailly disgusting in the way they would just hoof it away instead of controlling it and playing at 0-0, as if a draw was a good result. Fred and Matic were just absolutely dreadful, Bruno ran but was awful too, Cavani wasn’t match fit and Rashford and Greenwood were the worst of the lot. Absolutely disastrous and not playing for the team. On the whole, we played absolutely awfully and settled for a draw. Absolutely no intent to win.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Manager has to take the blame there, 2 DMs against this current Palace team and then leaving it for 25 mins in to the second half to make a change. The decision to play Rashford and Bruno in the Europa league is looking as stupid now as it was back then as well.
Jumped to page 7 of posts, and saw this and this is very much the nutshell.
We wouldn't see City playing against Palace with both Fernandinho and Rodri in midfield. Granted, their attack is leaps and bounds better than ours so it would probably still do the job, but we're chasing City and everyone at the club is giving off the vibe of "the gap is big, but we have to do our bit to try and chase them down". It's all moot if we look as if we're playing conservatively.

Very disappointing result. We have managed to turn our season from being in a title race to being threatened to losing out for top 4 in the space of 2 months where the fixtures were all fairly winnable. We now enter a tough schedule and it's very difficult to say for sure when our "banker" will come from.

Mr.Kaya

At this point, performance of whoever replaces him is close to irrelevant as Marcus himself adds feckall to the team, apart from calling our captain a knobhead and stinking up the place with his horrible attitude
True....Too bad our squad depth is thin as a paper and with just not good enough quality, let alone good enough for a club like us.

Dan_F

I struggled to watch the second half. I was on my phone a lot.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
2 years on, we are still a shambles. No rhythm, no style, no philosophy, no plan b. I could go om for a while. Ole needs to go.
I'm happy to go with a manager that has a system and a vision. The club at the moment don't have one. Create one and find managers that fit.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Someone said it a few days ago, that if we had Guardiola we would be doing much better, and i agree.

I dont think Ole is getting the best out of these players. I especially think we can be better attacking wise.

Barnslig

True....Too bad our squad depth is thin as a paper and with just not good enough quality, let alone good enough for a club like us.
Would honestly take Mata over Marcus at the moment, based purely on work ethic and his will to actually put in an effort.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Interviewer asked why Ole thought we were flat today. He replies "it's just human nature".

I just really dislike the way he talks about the team and performances sometimes. Hardly ever specific, rarely tangible and always falls back to the same old "we need to do better".

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Interviewer asked why Ole thought we were flat today. He replies "it's just human nature".

I just really dislike the way he talks about the team and performances sometimes. Hardly ever specific, rarely tangible and always falls back to the same old "we need to do better".
You will get little to no insight from a manager in a post match TV interview.

Ole has to sort that in the dressing room and we can judge him on performances.

I dont need excuses to camera.

NICanRed

Dreadful! Weren’t Palace cheating? They were passing the ball to their team-mates! We would never do that. When I looked at the list of subs I couldn’t see any hope there. We may as well have tossed on the kids it couldn’t have been worse.

RashyForPM

What a stupid post!
I appreciate you defending us as a Rangers fan, but he’s unfortunately spot on. The way we’ve let City run away with it is absolutely disgusting and they will likely bum us at the weekend. Before anyone goes ‘oH bUt lIverPoOl’, they’ve been even worse.

BorisManUtd

Such a nothing game. We were actually better in the first half, and we only had few good chances in that half but nothing special really. Worried about rest of our season now.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
You will get little to no insight from a manager in a post match TV interview.

Ole has to sort that in the dressing room and we can judge him on performances.

I dont need excuses to camera.
I'm not talking about him bringing out the white board, but at least some indication that he see's where some problems lie. "We need to move the ball quicker" is about as indicative of that as we ever got.

RashyForPM

Someone said it a few days ago, that if we had Guardiola we would be doing much better, and i agree.

I dont think Ole is getting the best out of these players. I especially think we can be better attacking wise.
You think?!

troylocker

We looked drained today. That 2nd half was the worst and most uninspired I’ve seen us in a long time. So many simple mistakes and so little energy and initiative.
Very dissapointing

Mr.Kaya

Would honestly take Mata over Marcus at the moment, based purely on work ethic and his will to actually put in an effort.
I dont blame you at this point, we simply got too many players who who doesnt have enough competition for their positions, which means they'll feel their positions in the team is safe no matter the performance. Look at City and how much competition they got for each position. That'll keep every player on their toes. Also, wingers are supposed to provide both assists and goals, no? Ours just doesnt do it enough. Yes, Greenwood is still young but if hes gonna be a regular on this team he gotta provide more in my opinion. We seem to need magic from either Bruno or Pogba to score our goals.

Waynne

Give Roy Keane a handsome amount of money and a baseball bat and instruct him to enter the dressing room after a match like this.
Problem solved.

Ace Krampus

Good grief, thank god I forgot this was on. I got caught up putting together a proposal for a client and honestly it seems like that's for the best.

edcunited1878

If United had Guardiola, half the starting XI and overall squad wouldn't be at United! But agree, Ole isn't able to get a consistent, high tune out of the players on a consistent basis throughout a year. He's done a good job but there has to be better players and in the coaching if United are to make that jump to challenging City or whoever for the title.

Attacking wise, United are way to far apart and become isolated from each other and the ball, relative to the attacking goal. I have always admired Guardiola's ability to teach about spatial awareness and how to use space in order to create chances or win the ball back.

Yorke to Cole

I came in from work and had a shower (before the match), to get myself perked up for the match, by the second half, I was ready to fall asleep again.

Martial, was not even playing and he was better than Rashford. There was absolutely no movement up the top end of the pitch whatsoever.

Apart from that 10 minute spell in the first half, the passing was lacklustre and careless. It was performance that lacked bravery and imagination.

I am concerned that we will capitulate like 2 seasons ago and end with nothing. But we must try to be strong.

The Irish Connection

This is the constant problem at the club. Our transfer spend in the summer was still around £70-80m. Not a single one of those players gets in our best 11. Maybe Cavani now but most wouldn’t have said that at the beginning of the season. Why spend that sort of money if there is no improvement? I stand by we would have been better off buying Sancho for the daft transfer fee than getting in the 4 players we signed.
You’re right. So few people see it. We need to spend Chelsea money from last summer or city money to improve. For example off the top of my head, Grealish 70m, Haaland 100m, Rice 60m and a quick, strong centre back 40-60m. But there is no chance of it happening. If you spend Say 30m on a defender, you’ll be lucky to end up with Ake, who is average.

Yakuza_devils

1. Our style of play was predictable and boring (not just this game).

2. We can't keep the ball and our passing was shit when faced big teams.

3. We can't break down small team that sit deep.

4. We are lucky to have Bruno, if not Ole would have been gone since last season.

5. The team doesn't have strong mentality.

6. We need to get a top manager in to move forward. Ole has done his best and it's not good enough. The inconsistency is shocking.

Andi Latte

I struggle to understand how Ole is unable to make a sub before the 65min mark, when it is oh so obvious that things don't work out. We created nothing from the onset of the 2nd half, bring someone on, for fecks sake. When is Diallo ever gonna be good to go if not at 60min against a shit Palace side when we blatantly need to shake things up? Why is Shoretire even in the squad if not to come on in exactly these kinds of situations? Why did we buy VdB in the fist place? Instead bring McTominay, you know, attacking football, woohoo.

This season we finally have some depth in the squad, yet Ole just refuses to utilize it. Instead run your players into the ground and then complain about the tight schedule. Our next matches are City, Milan, inform West Ham, Milan, Leicester. Rotation and resting/subbing off key players will become necessary and this upcoming patch of fixtures is pretty much the worst time to finally do it.

Camilo

We'll be great once we get rid of Pogba, that's for sure. Lazy good for nothing, stinking up the place again and just collecting that massive wage. Fred is all kinds of wonderful because he runs quite a lot.

Man of the Match

Dean Henderson image Dean Henderson 53% of 238 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 248 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw