PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 03 March 2021

OrcaFat

This is the constant problem at the club. Our transfer spend in the summer was still around £70-80m. Not a single one of those players gets in our best 11. Maybe Cavani now but most wouldn’t have said that at the beginning of the season. Why spend that sort of money if there is no improvement? I stand by we would have been better off buying Sancho for the daft transfer fee than getting in the 4 players we signed.
Yeah, I believed then, and believe now, that we should only sign players who would expect to walk into the first 11. And wonder kids. One good signing is so much better than 2 or 3 average signings, otherwise our top level never gets any better.

Dobba

I struggle to understand how Ole is unable to make a sub before the 65min mark, when it is oh so obvious that things don't work out. We created nothing from the onset of the 2nd half, bring someone on, for fecks sake. When is Diallo ever gonna be good to go if not at 60min against a shit Palace side when we blatantly need to shake things up? Why is Shoretire even in the squad if not to come on in exactly these kinds of situations? Why did we buy VdB in the fist place? Instead bring McTominay, you know, attacking football, woohoo.

This season we finally have some depth in the squad, yet Ole just refuses to utilize it. Instead run your players into the ground and then complain about the tight schedule. Our next matches are City, Milan, inform West Ham, Milan, Leicester. Rotation and resting/subbing off key players will become necessary and this upcoming patch of fixtures is pretty much the worst time to finally do it.
I'm sorry, what? The three names you've given in the first paragraph are a guy who joined the club in January and been training with the first team for less than a month, a kid from the academy who joined first team training on the same day and a big money signing who has stunk the place out 99% of the time he's on the pitch and been infinitely less of an attacking threat from midfield than McTominay. And that is what you consider squad depth that the manager refuses to utilize. :lol:

Redfrog

The worst thing for me is that there was no changes before the 70 or so minutes. Every one was horrible, just try to change something, even if it is to send a message.

For all the bashing James get, he is our best attacking player at the moment and deserves a chance. At least he tries and you can't say the same for Greenwood and Rashford.

Mr.Kaya

I struggle to understand how Ole is unable to make a sub before the 65min mark, when it is oh so obvious that things don't work out. We created nothing from the onset of the 2nd half, bring someone on, for fecks sake. When is Diallo ever gonna be good to go if not at 60min against a shit Palace side when we blatantly need to shake things up? Why is Shoretire even in the squad if not to come on in exactly these kinds of situations? Why did we buy VdB in the fist place? Instead bring McTominay, you know, attacking football, woohoo.

This season we finally have some depth in the squad, yet Ole just refuses to utilize it. Instead run your players into the ground and then complain about the tight schedule. Our next matches are City, Milan, inform West Ham, Milan, Leicester. Rotation and resting/subbing off key players will become necessary and this upcoming patch of fixtures is pretty much the worst time to finally do it.
Guess he doesnt trust him enough yet. I definetly agree that he should've been giving a chance for either Marcus or Mason, at least it wouldn't hurt considering we were chasing a goal. Talking about depth in the squad though, is that depth anything to talk about? Looking at the bench today of attacking players, we had James, Diallo(18) and a 17 y.o Shoretire whos barely played for the 1st team. Not exactly the best depth I've seen :rolleyes:

Triple.Threat

Below average quality all over, so much deadwood. If Bruno does not come up with a moment of brilliance then reality strikes.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Someone said it a few days ago, that if we had Guardiola we would be doing much better, and i agree.

I dont think Ole is getting the best out of these players. I especially think we can be better attacking wise.
Bold claim by that guy

Andi Latte

I'm sorry, what? The three names you've given in the first paragraph are a guy who joined the club in January and been training with the first team for less than a month, a kid from the academy who joined first team training on the same day and a big money signing who has stunk the place out 99% of the time he's on the pitch and been infinitely less of an attacking threat from midfield than McTominay. And that is what you consider squad depth that the manager refuses to utilize. :lol:
Why put them on the bench in the first place then? If they're not ready, leave them with the u23s. Think back to when we needed a goal against Villa back then and Fergie brought on Kiko fecking Macheda to win it. Sometimes those gambles work out, though they will never do if you don't even try. He could have brought on Mata for all I care, hell, even put Telles at LW for a yet again abysmal Rashford. Just do something, anything really, if things clearly aren't working out.

This reluctance to take risks in order to win a game against inferior opposition is a strong indication of a loser's mentality imo.

Oddboy

Looking forward to hearing why a team with Maguire, Fred, Pogba and Fernandes (4 players wanted by City that chose United instead) can't compete with City, and why it's City's oil money that's causing you to post a points average of 1.8 per game.
Maybe because we weren't able to spend another 200mil on fullbacks on top of that.

oz insomniac

The wasteful and incorrect spending by Ed is apparent, for at least 3 years there have been glaring holes at RW and striker. That would mean spending a good amount of cash, possibly less than signing Brady at Tampa Bay ( yes I know , but when the owners have no interest it shows ).

Woke up early to watch that trash today, cant blame the defence and Matic was probably the most effective midfielder. Then you have Rashford, if he gets more than a score of 1 for that effort , then it’s because he’s the golden boy. No RW means little service into Cavani, which underlines the positional problems.

These are the times to look at moving players on, recycling any funds into strengthening the team. Well not at the moment obviously , but there is no confidence that sort of planning is taking place, and again no sign that the Glazers have any interest in taking the club forwards.

SuperiorXI

Shaw was good, the rest happy to pick up their wages.
Ashamed
You're right actually, Shaw and Henderson. The rest... jesus where do they think they are? Who do they think they're playing for?

A reality check is needed, either the fans need to lower their expectations or we need yet another clear out and a re-think of strategy because the mentality isn't there.

RedAlways78

We are still second. Just goes to show how poor everyone else has been.

More performances like this will not get us top 4.

Jibbs

The biggest problem is our attack. The likes of Rashford and Martial who wouldn't even had a career with United a decade ago, are now considered our main strikers.

Andi Latte

Guess he doesnt trust him enough yet. I definetly agree that he should've been giving a chance for either Marcus or Mason, at least it wouldn't hurt considering we were chasing a goal. Talking about depth in the squad though, is that depth anything to talk about? Looking at the bench today of attacking players, we had James, Diallo(18) and a 17 y.o Shoretire whos barely played for the 1st team. Not exactly the best depth I've seen :rolleyes:
Guess we'll never know, seeing as Ole doesn't even give them minutes in situations like these.
Diallo played what, 20mins so far? Shoretire about 5? I actually have no idea how they would do. And if they can't contribute, why take them with the squad in the first place? Give the spot to Mata or someone.

Sometimes you got to take risks, that includes throwing on youngsters if things don't work out. I replied to another poster above and cited Macheda vs. Villa already. That's what great (maybe even good) managers do.

bdecuc

Genuine question, has there been a week this season where we've played less than 2 games? Quick look back I'm not sure there has been? Ok around international weeks but then there are international games.

We need to recognise we're playing an insane amount of games. Unprecedented given they barely even had an off-season. It just feels like this relentless churning and the quality of the football is abysmal at this stage. Honestly it feels like what's the point other than financial?

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Maybe because we weren't able to spend another 200mil on fullbacks on top of that.
Cancelo - £30m (including Danilo trade-off).
Walker - £50m
Mendy - £50m
Zinchenko - £2m? £3m max?

So that's £132m.

United's fullbacks cost, what? £50m for Wan Bissaka, £20m for Dalot, £30m for Shaw, £15m for Telles. So that's £115m in total.

So basically no difference.

RedDevil@84

Pogba thread - We massively miss Pogba

VdB thread - I know he has offered nothing, but we need to get him in asap

Phil Jones thread - naaaayyyy. No one

Red_toad

We looked like a mid table team playing out a game toward the end of the season where there’s zero chance of winning anything. Plus terrible subs by Ole, really needed a creative spark...

Red_toad

Walker - £50m
Mendy - £50m

So that's £132m.

United's fullbacks cost, what? £50m for Wan Bissaka, £20m for Dalot, £30m for Shaw, £15m for Telles. So that's £115m in total.

Wow 17 million isn’t money now

RRCE

The latest in a very disappointing run of games. It looks like Ole has ridden his locked in starters into the ground, and they just can’t carry us at the moment. With the lack of coaching nous and inability (or refusal) to make in game adjustments, it’s a worrying situation. Top 4 is definitely in jeopardy. There are plenty of games to play, and we’re trending in the wrong direction.

Skåre Willoch

Walker - £50m
Mendy - £50m

So that's £132m.

Not that I think it matters, as it’s “basically no difference”, but you can add Angelino for 10 mill or so as well.

RedDevil@84

It looks like Ole has ridden his locked in starters into the ground, and they just can’t carry us at the moment
If the likes of Rashford, Greenwood and Martial are burnt out already, then imagine what would happen if we really get going, anytime in future. They wouldn't even make the team sheet.

Wilt

Ole interview, 3 games without scoring ....Ole‘s answer “3 clean sheets”

Gotta love an optimist :lol:

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
A point away in a game that we were well capable of losing is to be welcomed. We are not in a fight for the Title, we are in a fight for top 4, so the point is good. The real disappointment was Fernandes again. I think that we all accept that against the better teams, he’s anonymous and can’t do it, but Crystal Palace? I wouldn’t play him on Sunday - City’s midfield will make him look like a puny 15 year old playing against thoroughbreds.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Not that I think it matters, as it’s “basically no difference”, but you can add Angelino for 10 mill or so as well.
Angelino who's currently at RB Leipzig and will sign for them permanently in about 12 weeks time?

Crustanoid

We looked fecked and the season is now taking its toll. In previous Ole slumps we lost a shitload of games. At least now we’re only drawing them

Skåre Willoch

Angelino who's currently at RB Leipzig and will sign for them permanently in about 12 weeks time?
wasn’t the discussion about spending on fullbacks? If not, I apologize. If yes, and you didn’t count Danilo and Angelino, why did you count Dalot?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
A point away in a game that we were well capable of losing is to be welcomed. We are not in a fight for the Title, we are in a fight for top 4, so the point is good. The real disappointment was Fernandes again. I think that we all accept that against the better teams, he’s anonymous and can’t do it, but Crystal Palace? I wouldn’t play him on Sunday - City’s midfield will make him look like a puny 15 year old playing against thoroughbreds.
Alright mate, who do you support then?

big rons sovereign

Someone on the match day thread made perhaps a good point that we almost need a loss to end this unbeaten away run to kick-start us again.

Someone needs to inform Ole, that in the grand scheme of things, an unbeaten away record means absolutely NOTHING if we finish outside the top 4. Will we be able to attract the top players we need? Will Bruno look at leaving? Oh but it won't matter as we have that away run!

Someone needs to light the world's biggest fire, or rocket, under Ole and coaching staff, the players and ultimately the board as I've long maintained Ole has taken us as far as he can and decisions need to be made.
It'll end on Sunday, don't worry about that.

Silverman

We have a lot of big issues atm.

- A goalkeeper (De Gea) on the decline that is on astronomical wages.
- A RB (AWB) we spent 40 million on that is terrified to go forward.
- The one commanding CB (Bailly) that we have can't stay fit.
- The others which include our Captain, make mistake after mistake.
- A big money CM (Van de Beek) who has not been given any opportunity to prove himself for whatever reason.
- A DM (Matic) that is painfully slow in everything he does as well as a CM who can't pass for shite.
- A CM (Fred) who couldn't hit a barn door with a pass. Although he deserves credit for his workrate.
- A striker/winger (Martial) who is incredibly talented but refuses to work hard to show how good he could be. His lack of effort is embarrassing.
- Another striker/winger (Rashford) who's attitude absolutely stinks. It genuinely looks like he has made the mistake of believing his own hype as some of his recent performances have been disgraceful. Walking around, refusing to pass and compounded tonight by a foul mouthed outburst at his captain. He's a very talented player but he has to sort himself out and soon. He looks like one of the most miserable players about atm.
- And finally a manager who just doesn't seem up to it. I've seen some promising inter play over the season but as a whole we are relying on counter attacking tactics to beat teams and we just cant beat a team that sits back.

always_hoping

One side note i hope that's the last appearance of that jersey and the shirt designer is sacked.

AFC NimbleThumb

This is the constant problem at the club. Our transfer spend in the summer was still around £70-80m. Not a single one of those players gets in our best 11. Maybe Cavani now but most wouldn’t have said that at the beginning of the season. Why spend that sort of money if there is no improvement? I stand by we would have been better off buying Sancho for the daft transfer fee than getting in the 4 players we signed.
But, but if we sign a talented player RW then Greenwood [you know the most natural finisher we have who should be given more time as ST] wouldn’t get games :lol:

You’re exactly right; we spend a sh*t ton every summer & don’t actually come out with any standout signings to show for it.

We should have bought Sancho, end of.

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
Despite being in garbage form we find ourselves still in second by a point.
It's a pretty crazy situation when you realise how bad others have been for this to happen.

Or is this what we In the past would've considered a normal season and it's just Man City are doing so well that it makes the rest of the table look askew?

I still say, top four finish and a cup is good for us atm and most of us would've accepted that at the start of the season.

Man of the Match

Dean Henderson image Dean Henderson 53% of 238 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 248 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw