PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 03 March 2021

Lee565

Ole has to take huge flack for basically running rashford and Fernandes into the ground, they looked off the boil and tired, we have beek and mata who have been almost frozen out of the side since the start and they could have been used more often in rotating things, same with tuanzebe and Williams as well.

Hughes35

Feck me that was a bad watch.

Imagine being a supporter of Palace / West Brom etc. You'd honestly just give up on football.

We are such a poor team. Had no spark at all until James and Mctom came on. Really don't know what the answer is. We have tried multiple managers, players, formations etc and just always end up reverting back to sloppy, slow football.

Progress... when we consider how Palace battered us the first time we played them this is clear progress to have restricted them so well and kudos to Ole for getting a draw.

Perhaps if Ed had signed Halaand, Sancho, Thiago, Diaz, Messi, we’d be in a better position to win these games. But until then a draw is a fantastic result for Ole

NFM

You need a good system for attacks to work. Several well drilled movement set agreed upon prematch.

If you have no clear approach then this is what you get. A scatter gun approach relying on individual brilliance.

Nothing wrong with relying on magic moments in a tight match, but that should be the icing on the cake.

At this moment we have icing all over but no cake.

City relies on alot of off the ball movement to disrupt the opponent. Which is why it looks so simple for then to score, those didnt happen out of thin air.
City do a lot of off the ball movement. I don't have the stats but looking at most other knackered teams and players, an almost unbelievable amount of movement in comparison. they haven't picked up Pep's old Barca team doctor have they?
Anyway , your point was made by James when he came on, instantly almost scored with the first decisive move off the ball in the penalty area, shame he can't head the ball.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
When was the last time we were drawing a game 0-0, and the injury time board came up with 2 minutes and everyone thought both a) that is a totally reasonable amount of injury time and b) thank god this will be over in two minutes?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
City do a lot of off the ball movement. I don't have the stats but looking at most other knackered teams and players, an almost unbelievable amount of movement in comparison. they haven't picked up Pep's old Barca team doctor have they?
Anyway , your point was made by James when he came on, instantly almost scored with the first decisive move off the ball in the penalty area, shame he can't head the ball.
It's no magic. Why we seems to be so clueless against low block team while city scoring for fun.

When your teammates make a forward move, defenders would react, either by closing them down or moving to limit their movement. If several move at the same time gaps would occurs and it can be exploited.

It's harder much harder to watch 5 players all moving in harmony compared to just watching one players with the ball.

It looks simple but it really took alot of understanding. A system if you can say. Whoever is replaced know the pattern and movement of the team.

When united reached that stage of football i can honestly say we've made it as a football team.

Getting individual players to weave some skills and hope it works is the lowest form of coaching. It's just pass it to x and pray.

Lee565

Feck me that was a bad watch.

Imagine being a supporter of Palace / West Brom etc. You'd honestly just give up on football.

We are such a poor team. Had no spark at all until James and Mctom came on. Really don't know what the answer is. We have tried multiple managers, players, formations etc and just always end up reverting back to sloppy, slow football.
Hardly the most inspiring managers though are they, in the same time we have gone through an out of depth moyes, ole and two past it managers we have seen so many of our rivals acquire some of the hottest prospects and in demand managers to good results.

superdry

touched by a genius
We're a busted flush, defenders positioning themselves to Rashford's right side nullify him, defenders staying put and waiting for Greenwoods twenty stepovers but not actually going anywhere manoeuvre to finish nullifies him, Bruno's beginning to look like he's lost the will to live ( cant blame him playing with some of our players and manager.) Martial has lost what little mojo he had, Cavani when fit needs good service but gets none!
Everyone looks jaded (same as last year.) I hope I'm wrong but I can only see our form staying poor.

RORY65

Hardly the most inspiring managers though are they, in the same time we have gone through an out of depth moyes, ole and two past it managers we have seen so many of our rivals acquire some of the hottest prospects and in demand managers to good results.
This is what I don't get, if in a transfer window we bought a couple of big names who were great but we knew were past their best and a couple of players who had been round a while but never done it at the top level and didn't look like they had the talent to do so, nobody would consider that a good window and nobody would want to commit ourselves long-term to playing those players unless they turned out to be way better than expected.

Yet because we've made a couple of bad managerial appointments apparently it's proved that changing managers doesn't work and not that like with the players it's most likely not going to work unless you get one who is currently one of the best in the world or a younger manager that you think could be one day. The thing I do get why people are so reticent to consider it, excluding the fact that Ole is a club legend and has done a solid, steady job, is that the people who would responsible for making that appointment have given no evidence that they would make a good one.

bsCallout

Ole has to take huge flack for basically running rashford and Fernandes into the ground, they looked off the boil and tired, we have beek and mata who have been almost frozen out of the side since the start and they could have been used more often in rotating things, same with tuanzebe and Williams as well.
Tuanzabe and Williams haven't proven to be good enough.

Maticmaker

Woeful display once again, tired, lack-luster, sloppy passing, even Fred was given a run for his money in terms of the amount of sloppy passing last night.
Bright spot, or a 'positive' as they say nowadays, Henderson showed he's ready to step up,
Shaw also decent...again! Matic, apart from one woeful pass in first half at least did try to drive forward. The rest terrible, Bruno looked as though he had 'found sixpence and lost a shilling', all night long. Rashford right off the boil. Greenwood did show some energy, but was nearly always way too far back, was attempting runs on goal starting from the halfway line. The back four manage to keep Palace to a minimum of (also woeful) attempts, but it was 'Deano' who saved the day.

Ole always talks about playing the United Way, but the truth is he hasn't got nearly enough of the type of Old United players. The likes of the Neville's, of Scholesy and Giggs, the Keane's, the Vidic's the Evra's etc. at this time of the season would somehow manage (Henry V like) to 'summon up the blood' and 'charge, once more into the Breach' ; they found the reserves of energy, mental strength and sheer will power to grind out results, at least enough of them did to find a way to win...sadly Ole has got few if any of the same ilk in his squad these days... and 'therein lies the rub'

Giggsy13

Absolutely spot on about the bottler part. Every. Feckin. Time. Whenever we have a chance to make life easier for ourselves we bottle it. Ole not solely to blame for that tonight. You can't blame him for players not being able to make a feckin 6 yard pass or control a ball. You can blame him for the general lack of intensity and desire to feckin win the feckin game. Feck!
I agree with this. Ole can’t be blamed for the players failing to show up but him choosing to keep our defensive shape instead of going for the win was frustrating to watch. The fact his subs demonstrated that he was scared to lose near the end was maddening.

OleTheGreat

I have never seen a United team this scared of scoring. I mean to go 3 games without scoring a goal is ridiculous. The team just cannot play football, it hurts us fans to even watch these games. Some of our fans think it is Ole and some others think it is fatigue but if you watch the game, you will notice that we don't have skilled players in our team. We just cannot play awesome balls into the box and create one opportunity after another. Against Crystal Palace it was just the wing backs that created chances and I'm sure Shaw created some wonderful chances in the game which frankly should have ended up in the back of the net. There is simply no life in this team and no player will want to join us in the summer. Ole has done everything in his power to set things right for our beloved club but his coaching staff and he are not good enough and aren't doing enough coaching off the pitch to help this team. We play awful football and I see a difficult end to the season. Top 4 will be a priority and winning a cup will be a miracle. City will destroy us on Sunday if we play the way we do and Ole might leave us.

Oddboy

Cancelo - £30m (including Danilo trade-off).
Walker - £50m
Mendy - £50m
Zinchenko - £2m? £3m max?

So that's £132m.

United's fullbacks cost, what? £50m for Wan Bissaka, £20m for Dalot, £30m for Shaw, £15m for Telles. So that's £115m in total.

So basically no difference.
You also forgot:

Angelino - £11 mil
Porro - £11 mil
Couto - £5 mil
Kabore - £4 mil

If you're going to include Dalot it's probably only fair that these are also accounted for. There's another £30 million bringing it to £162m. If you include Danilo you are at £200m for fullbacks in the Pep era (I'll concede that its nearer £170m due to the Danilo offset).

For comparison we're at £85mil for the same time period.

justsomebloke

I have never seen a United team this scared of scoring. I mean to go 3 games without scoring a goal is ridiculous. The team just cannot play football, it hurts us fans to even watch these games. Some of our fans think it is Ole and some others think it is fatigue but if you watch the game, you will notice that we don't have skilled players in our team. We just cannot play awesome balls into the box and create one opportunity after another. Against Crystal Palace it was just the wing backs that created chances and I'm sure Shaw created some wonderful chances in the game which frankly should have ended up in the back of the net. There is simply no life in this team and no player will want to join us in the summer. Ole has done everything in his power to set things right for our beloved club but his coaching staff and he are not good enough and aren't doing enough coaching off the pitch to help this team. We play awful football and I see a difficult end to the season. Top 4 will be a priority and winning a cup will be a miracle. City will destroy us on Sunday if we play the way we do and Ole might leave us.
Only if you're so carried away with what you've seen in the past few games that you completely forget the rest of the season. It doesn't work in the way that what you're seeing right now is the true state of the team and what you saw before isn't. Until this round, we were the highest scoring team in the league.

justsomebloke

Horrible performance, horrible result. We can now pretty much wave goodbye to 80+ points, which would have represented progress beyond a doubt. We'll have to work hard for 75-80, which I think is the least you would look for to be able to argue there's much real progress at all.

Shaw, Bailly and Matic had fairly good games I thought. The attacking four was dismal.

Cantonagotmehere

I think Mctominay carrying an injury and Ole wants him to be ready for city.Pogba , VDB and Mata all not available so left us no options apart from kids who were only on the bench in case we went 3 up so they could get some minutes
Good point....but I think this type of lineup has been used many times before vs low block teams when most of the middies were available. I just don't get it.

ThemanGiggsy

So why single him out then? Sounds like an agenda.

Rashford and matic were also bad - the formercouldn't pass or shoot on target, the latter was his usual slo-mo self taking ages to take a ball off the defence and find Shaw or bruno. masonc oudln't trap a ball most of the night. Bruno made twice as many loose bad passes as anyone else. Bailly and maguire could barely dribble out their half despite acres of space to do so. They were all awful bar maybe Luke Shaw and AwB (the latter still doesnt pass well as his passes force the receiver to recover the ball too much).

They all look exhausted and completely busted. I think Ole's lack of rotation, our hectic schedule, plus the fact we never do well vs two banks of 4s have caught up to us.
because he was particularly bad and passed the ball to the other team at least 10 times? doesn't seem like the best quality for a midfielder.

completely agree there should have been a lot more rotation throughout the season

OleTheGreat

Only if you're so carried away with what you've seen in the past few games that you completely forget the rest of the season. It doesn't work in the way that what you're seeing right now is the true state of the team and what you saw before isn't. Until this round, we were the highest scoring team in the league.
I think you forget that we are also conceding a lot of goals from the very beginning of the season..

justsomebloke

I think you forget that we are also conceding a lot of goals from the very beginning of the season..
Look - there's a reason we're actually still in second place in the league. And that reason is we're a pretty good team. If you aren't, you're not second after 27 games played. So again, don't get carried away completely by how things are looking right now. That's not the only thing that matters. We are as much the team that beat Southampton 9-0 as we are the team that drew Palace 0-0.

OleTheGreat

Look - there's a reason we're actually still in second place in the league. And that reason is we're a pretty good team. If you aren't, you're not second after 27 games played. So again, don't get carried away completely by how things are looking right now. That's not the only thing that matters. We are as much the team that beat Southampton 9-0 as we are the team that drew Palace 0-0.
I'm not getting carried away by a bad performance because it is definitely hard at the highest level and even SAF had a lot of hard days plus teams feared United back then. All I'm trying to say is, we do not possess the threat on goal in most games. We struggle with bad passing and having no control over a game. I don't mind if we lose a game once in a while but I definitely want to be excited to watch us play but every so often I find it so hard to watch us play. Mind u, I'm up in the middle of the night to watch us play and the performances literally put me to sleep. The Southampton game is probably the only one I really enjoyed in the recent past.

croadyman

If you've ever been to an away game you'd no that would not have happened in a million years
Have been to quite a few away games over the years but surely even our die-hards would not such a complete lack of effort like we saw last night

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
An utter disgrace. a total shitshow. It was so dull, it made the chelsea game look like United at Juve in 1999 CL semi.

Too few of the players are good enough but the real problem lies in the manager and coaches. You could see we were going nowhere after 10 minutes but as usual no change to personnel and no chance of a change to tactics of formation. the reason for that is simple: Ole has no plan B and no idea about tactics.

I said at the start of all this that he simply isn't qualified enough or experienced enough. He actually has almost zero idea from what we are seeing. The club yet again jumped the gun, when, having said a decision wouldn't be made until the end of the season, appointed Ole full time after just a matter of weeks.

He doesn't have the nous, he doesn't have what it takes and he won't attract the top names we need to mount a serious challenge for trophies. He's already lost Haaland once and I wouldn't be surprised even Bruno wanted to leave.

As for the players, Henderson looked solid (no doubt we'll revert to DDG on Sunday if his personal problem has been overcome) and Luke Shaw had a reasonable game. Maguire looked steady too against a side that didn't attack much but Rashford looked lost again, Mason has forgotten how to score and the midfield barely past to Cavani all evening.

I am sure CIty are quaking in their boots right now.... well, their third XI would be.

We were shameful and embarrassing. we couldn't even pass the ball five yards. This lot were worse than the team that went down in the 1970s. Time for those responsible to go.

Of course, there was one moment to laugh at: hearing that Dan James was coming on to be our saviour. He wouldn't be near City or Liverpool's starting XI, or Spurs' or Leicester's... what a shambles.

The game summed up Lockdown 3: unutterably dull, boredom beyond belief and seemingly endless.

It's been tough supporting United in some other eras over the past 50+ years but this is becoming embarrassing. Don't even try to tell me this is a real improvement on LVG or Jose

Last edited:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
It's useless having a player like Cavani up there when you don't have wingers who can take on the full backs and give good crosses for any centre forward.

Cavani does his job really well and gives problems to defences and also creates spaces for the other forwards but players like Rashford MUST take their chances when they come and Marcus had a great chance which could have won the game for us.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I agree with this. Ole can’t be blamed for the players failing to show up but him choosing to keep our defensive shape instead of going for the win was frustrating to watch. The fact his subs demonstrated that he was scared to lose near the end was maddening.
Yes he can be blamed.
It is obvious that both Radford and Bruno are knackered. And yet he picks them match after match.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Yes he can be blamed.
It is obvious that both Radford and Bruno are knackered. And yet he picks them match after match.
Yeah, I'm a big supporter of Ole, but I don't get the lack of subs. Really clear that we're running on fumes at times. Why have a bench if you don't use it. Also can't imagine it's great for the confidence of those on the bench to see how bad we've been but they still can't get a kick. Subs should have been made at half time yesterday, not the 70th odd minute.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Yeah, I'm a big supporter of Ole, but I don't get the lack of subs. Really clear that we're running on fumes at times. Why have a bench if you don't use it. Also can't imagine it's great for the confidence of those on the bench to see how bad we've been but they still can't get a kick. Subs should have been made at half time yesterday, not the 70th odd minute.
Add to that opting to play his first team in the Sociedad second leg. Senseless. Similar happened in last season's FA cup run.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That is a very fair point.
Ole may be many things, but tactically he is lacking.

NICanRed

I wonder if Ole could borrow Fergie’s hair-dryer for a month. Something needs to be done to motivate this team.

Man of the Match

Dean Henderson image Dean Henderson 53% of 238 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 248 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw