FA W FA Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 2:0 Derby County

Post-match discussion

Fri, 05 January 2018

Greck

I have to disagree, from where I was sat, which is pretty far away, our build up play is fairly pedestrian and most of our attacks are through many bodies in defense. Mata gets close to try and link up the play with short fast passing, I thought he was better than usual today. Im fairly certain if he started running away from the opposition boxes whilst we are attacking there would be plenty of Mata haters on here calling him clueless and should be dropped etc.

I thought we played good attacking football today considering the opposition, who were right up for it and as we have seen, these ties can catch us out if we are not focused, so for that the team deserves the credit.
2 games, 2 wins, both an increase in form. A good nights football.
Not a lot to complain about really
Well there are moments where Mata in his eagerness clogs up spaces trying to receive the ball. He gets sucked to the ball like he wants to pick it straight from a teammate's feet when it would be better to show and receive the pass from a distance. Doesn't help himself because the lack of space often just means he has to go sideways or backwards.

I remember him running straight into Martial's path trying to pick up the ball two matches ago. The confusion it caused meant we lost the ball for no reason

POF

Good result. It was really important to break them down in the end and get the win. That will be a big win for the team's confidence.

My favourite part was hearing Jose over the pitchside microphones repeatedly saying "keep playing, no long balls" when it was 0-0 late on. This was with Fellaini on the pitch.

That was often the key to Fergie teams scoring late goals. Keep playing, don't panic, don't get desperate or lose shape and have confidence in your ability to break teams down. That is a big win going into a 10 day mini break.

ants7

I enjoyed it. Lingardinho at it again and Lukaku getting a confidence booster. Nice evening.

However, I'm disgusted by some of the comments Rashford is getting here. Doesn't deserve this kind of attitude from some of the fans at all. He's very young but has already fantastic attitude and understanding of the game. Hit the post twice. Also, nicked a nice foul out of the defender near the box as he was losing possession. Some of his crosses and free kicks in other games have been brilliant for a kid in his age. I accept that he is going through a rough patch but he needs our support more than ever. I'm more than certain that he will repay this with brilliant performances in the future.

But I agree that Miki has been garbage and needs an urgent upgrade. Don't know what has happened to him.

Lentwood

I agree with one of the posters above about Mata clogging up spaces.

Although Mhiki wasn’t great I thought it was very harsh to hook him at HT - he did create our best chance of the first half with his perfect cross for Rashford on the turn. For me it was more a “you’ve got 15 minutes to impress me or you’re off” rather than a straight hook.

Maybe Jose felt the players where getting in each other’s way by not holding their positions and one had to be sacrificed? LvG and Pep preach positional discipline from
attackers - ours are a bit like moths to a lightbulb at times

Shaw looked slightly casual at times and we suffered from having no attacking RB or RW at times. I thought things improved when Rashford switched right. As people keep pointing out, FBs are increasingly important when attacking and we don’t get much from our right side even with Valencia fit.

POF

I enjoyed it. Lingardinho at it again and Lukaku getting a confidence booster. Nice evening.

However, I'm disgusted by some of the comments Rashford is getting here. Doesn't deserve this kind of attitude from some of the fans at all. He's very young but has already fantastic attitude and understanding of the game. Hit the post twice. Also, nicked a nice foul out of the defender near the box as he was losing possession. Some of his crosses and free kicks in other games have been brilliant for a kid in his age. I accept that he is going through a rough patch but he needs our support more than ever. I'm more than certain that he will repay this with brilliant performances in the future.

But I agree that Miki has been garbage and needs an urgent upgrade. Don't know what has happened to him.
Haha. The irony!

POF

How come? You can see from their performances that their minds are in totally different spaces.
In one post you were disgusted with the comments about one player while calling the other "utter garbage". You don't see the contradiction?

To me, they look like 2 players both lacking confidence.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
In one post you were disgusted with the comments about one player while calling the other "utter garbage". You don't see the contradiction?

To me, they look like 2 players both lacking confidence.
However one is a senior international with a big reputation, he was plying really well then inexcusably dropped his effort level. Rashford on the other hand is still learning and putting in the effort
There is a world of difference

POF

However one is a senior international with a big reputation, he was plying really well then inexcusably dropped his effort level. Rashford on the other hand is still learning and putting in the effort
There is a world of difference
Did he drop his effort level or just lose confidence after a number of poor performances?

In fact, Mkhitaryan has history of going through long spells of poor form when his confidence is low.

Of the two, Rashford is the one who has disappointed me most in recent weeks. He's seemed in "childish sulk" mode and his attitude has looked really off, culminating in that awful flick that led to Bristol City's winner.

I'm hoping both snap out of it because they are both extremely talented and could have a major impact on the second half of the season.

Bestietom

Could easily have been 6 but not being able to break down these teams could be our downfall. Wonder what would have happened if Derby had scored first.

Bestietom

Beautiful night. All those missed chances, I thought we'll play 0:0 or lose against the run of play.
Totally deserved. Lingard has had some upturn in form! And so glad for Lukaku.
Also Shaw, picking up starts and good games. Ander and Mata good too. Like Lindelof, although he's not a RB had a decent game I thought.

Mickhi's days are numbered I feel and I hope Marcus will pick up his form.
I thought Herrera put a lot of his passes astray, that could have got us into trouble. This is what i seen.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
We desperately need a RW, someone that has pace and can also cross

Unfortunately both Mata and Rashford don't have that in them, so i really hope we get someone like Mahrez in this window.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Good result. It was really important to break them down in the end and get the win. That will be a big win for the team's confidence.

My favourite part was hearing Jose over the pitchside microphones repeatedly saying "keep playing, no long balls" when it was 0-0 late on. This was with Fellaini on the pitch.

That was often the key to Fergie teams scoring late goals. Keep playing, don't panic, don't get desperate or lose shape and have confidence in your ability to break teams down. That is a big win going into a 10 day mini break.
Punctuation, it’s all about punctuation. “Keep playing”. Then, “No, Long Balls”. Seems he reserves secret pet names for the entire squad.

IrishRedDevil

That was really encouraging. With Fellaini and Lukaku on the pitch, against a Champinshop team, I thought they were going to start hitting long balls for the last 5 minutes. Great that Jose kept them playing football and hopefully a sign to all that it is effective if we are on our game.

crossy1686

career ending
Did anyone get a slightly nervy feeling from Romero?
Looked unsure didn't he? Could just be lacking confidence from being given a chance after asking to play more. There's more pressure when you're knocking on the managers door and he finally gives you a chance as opposed to just waiting for one, I guess.

Inigo Montoya

Did he drop his effort level or just lose confidence after a number of poor performances?

In fact, Mkhitaryan has history of going through long spells of poor form when his confidence is low.

Of the two, Rashford is the one who has disappointed me most in recent weeks. He's seemed in "childish sulk" mode and his attitude has looked really off, culminating in that awful flick that led to Bristol City's winner.

I'm hoping both snap out of it because they are both extremely talented and could have a major impact on the second half of the season.
Losing confidence every season after a few games???

Inigo Montoya

Looked unsure didn't he? Could just be lacking confidence from being given a chance after asking to play more. There's more pressure when you're knocking on the managers door and he finally gives you a chance as opposed to just waiting for one, I guess.
He played in a Euro final. Lack of match practice rather than confidence

POF

That was really encouraging. With Fellaini and Lukaku on the pitch, against a Champinshop team, I thought they were going to start hitting long balls for the last 5 minutes. Great that Jose kept them playing football and hopefully a sign to all that it is effective if we are on our game.
Absolutely. It also points to a growing confidence in the attacking quality of the side, especially after Southampton when it didn't happen and the goal didn't come. I was really encouraged by it.

Bestietom

Mkhitaryan gave the impression that he wants out in last 2 games. His crossing was just hit with vengeance. Not like a talented footballer should be.

JK-27

Our play in the final third was poor (but all due credit to Derby for their defending, thought the did well).

Still not sure why we keep pinging it in to the box when we don't have numbers in there.

Pleased Lukaku got a goal.

Thought Shaw still didn't look fully fit, did anyone else see him keep stretching his back in the last 10 mins of the game?

Thought Martial came on and did feck all. Kept running inside in to traffic rather than take his man on down the line. When he didn't do that he dumped the ball off backwards or sideways. And when he did come inside and get tackled he fell to the ground and complained. Get off your backside son and get the ball back, you don't play football on your backside.

Rashford hit the post a couple of times but his overall play was pretty poor. When he was up top he stood still next to a defender most of the time. No ones going to pass to you if you're marked pal, get in to space.

Williams1960

how long before we are described as the Jesse Lingard team
He's been exactly what we need. A player daring to do more.

We look better when players are given some freedom. Lingard is exactly the kind of player fergie would keep forever. He should never leave the club. So happy for him.

Hopefully jose to continues to give the players a bit of freedom. Onwards and upwards!

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxbatt

I have to disagree, from where I was sat, which is pretty far away, our build up play is fairly pedestrian and most of our attacks are through many bodies in defense. Mata gets close to try and link up the play with short fast passing, I thought he was better than usual today. Im fairly certain if he started running away from the opposition boxes whilst we are attacking there would be plenty of Mata haters on here calling him clueless and should be dropped etc.

I thought we played good attacking football today considering the opposition, who were right up for it and as we have seen, these ties can catch us out if we are not focused, so for that the team deserves the credit.
2 games, 2 wins, both an increase in form. A good nights football.
Not a lot to complain about really
Of course there will be people calling all sorts of things but that does not negate the fact that he does clutter up space. He should never be coming inside like that always. He always does that. He gets in the way of our players. To me our players are too bunched up.
Cruijff used to say, the best way for my team mate to help me is to move away from me and at the same time take a defender away with him so that creates more space. It is basic. What Mata does is exactly the opposite. He gets inside and too close to our players and also that meant bringing a defender with him and clogging up that space that was empty before.

mark_a

Decent performance from us and what was quite a strong starting XI. Between the 2 great saves from Carson and hitting the woodwork, we should have been 4 up before we got the 1st one. And what a strike that was! I don't think Derby ever looked too likely to score, they had that one chance that Romero tipped over, though I'm not sure it was going in. They had a few punts from outside the box.
Encouraging but nothing to do a massive celebration over, we SHOULD be beating Championship opponents.
When the teams emerged for the 2nd half without Mhkitaryan that spoke volumes. He showed maybe a few moments of looking like a footballer, but just nowhere near enough. Sadly

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I know Fellaini was only on for a short time but has anyone noticed how more agile and athletic he seems to be. He doesn't lumber around like he did when he first got here. The trainers have done a good job with him. Handy to have for the rest of the season.
They probably just changed his New Balance boots.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 351 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Derby win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 3:0 Derby
  • 29% Man Utd 2:0 Derby