LC L League Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 2:2 Derby County

Post-match discussion

Tue, 25 September 2018

fallengt

Missed the second half and pens, was the second half as bad as it sounds or just a result of going down to 10 men?
We unironcally played better with 10 men and 1-2 down, it says something. I'd rather watch us playing with 10 men like that than our flat performance in 30-80 minutes.
Anyway something needs to change at the club but Woodward in charge here so nothing going to happen until March when we mathematically can't win anything.

Member 113277

I cannot think of anything constructive to post, so will leave it at 'well played Derby'.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Fortunate to get to penalties. Not an important game in itself, but in the context of our season, we are already out of 2 of the 4 trophies we had a chance to win this season. It's not October.

Jose was right, this season is going to be horrible.

Canagel

The penalties don't matter to me. A championship team came to our ground and dominated us fair and square. We should be doing better all round.

Siorac

Jones :lol: my mother would have saved that penalty.

Thankfully I don't give a shit about the League Cup. This night changes nothing. It's not like we have learned anything new.

ZlatMan

I can't believe we got knocked out by Frank Lampard. Imagine meeting Gerrard's Rangers in the Europa league? :nervous:

stu_1992

I absolutely knew Jones was going to miss. Absolutely no way he was going to score. A fittingly weak end to the shootout which was reflective of our performance tonight, and much of the last few years too. Weak.

I was at the Liam Miller tribute game earlier today, and while that was by no means a great quality game, what I would do for some of those characters in this team now.

Trizy

Did anyone honestly think he was gonna score that? He is a clown of football. A fine example of what's wrong with this backwards fecking club.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Let's just state the freaking obvious for once.

These performances are completely unacceptable.

Josep Dowling

Terrible yet again. Can’t control a game again a Championship side at Old Trafford now.

Not sure what else Jose has to do now, do we need to be embarrassed all season before he’s sacked? Players clearly aren’t playing for him.

And why is Jose so persistent on using the likes of Lukaku in the league cup? This is the type of game you give others opportunities. Precisely why when we need Rashford to play ST he isn’t ready for it. He will be moving next that the fixtures are too conjested and players can’t rest.

Red_Aaron

It was half arsed, similar to the Brighton game in that we didn't match their effort. You have to earn the right to play and more often than not lately we don't seem to bother doing the basics.

Brilliant freekick mind

M Bison

Supports
York City
This is a real low point, we've had some badd'uns over the past couple of years and this is another one to add to the list. I'm in the minority that hasnt turned on Jose yet but time is definitely running out for him

Andersons Dietician

Derby deserved the win if we are being honest. Simply better than us.

Bar Martial,Fellaini and Dalot, just absolute atrocious. Actually Fred was good when he came on as well.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Phil jones summed up our performance with that limp pen.

Few small positives, martial had a good game, dalot looks like he could be a great attacking asset down that right when he’s settled. I do love fellaini, he actually gives a shit about winning.

dove

Missed the second half and pens, was the second half as bad as it sounds or just a result of going down to 10 men?
It was even worse than it sounds, it was a disgrace and all fans who went to watch that shite should be refunded.

Roboc7

Got what we deserved, the team that wanted to play football and had some kind of attacking blueprint were Derby and they deserved to go through.

This season will be on a similar scale to Moyes’ season.

Kapardin

Strangely enough, watching our players take some very good pens was a positive barring Jones of course. I remember us being hopeless at pens under LvG.

Nothing else though. I'm veering towards Mourinho leaving before we reach the point of writing off the season. This performance was as bad as MK Dons or Midgetland, where's the progress since 2014?

Cloud7

Can’t wait to see how Mourinho and his cult blame Pogba for this :drool:

DomM

All that money spent over the last 5 years and still serving us a plate of utter tripe, it doesn't seem to matter who the manager is, the football is still shite, utter shambles at the moment from.

Virror

As a team we just can't play for a full 90 minutes. It's not until we allow a goal and get a red card that the players start to play again in the second half. It is time for Mourinho to leave, and i hope a lot of the players go with him.

James Peril

Pathetic. Our best shot at winning a trophy, should have taken it more seriously. No surprise unfortunately.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Great quality on the penalties, except for Jones obviously.
Gks weren't really close to saving any of them.

Neo_Mufc

Well done Derby. Their heads didn't turn down when they were 1nil down after 3 mins. They were lucky not to win it in 90mins. Any player running at our defence looks like Messi.

Camilo

No excuse for that wank. Fellaini is the only player in our team worth anything. Jose is shite. Lukaku is shite. Mata and Martial are shite. We're mid table dross.

.Phil1968

Pissed on by a championship side jesus how shit are we. I remember watching us in the late 80s when we were shite but this is undoubtedly the worst United side I think I have ever seen.
And Phil Jones should never ever pull on a United shirt again.

dove

We are a laughing stock, we have been for years now, move on to the next match...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Fellaini is the only one with the right mindset. Unlucky he's not very good, but the more talented guys could learn a thing or two from him.

MrBest

I used to take it really personally when we lost and when we play badly. It is just business as usual now. Jose has lost the dressing room. We need a change before the season runs further away. Out of 8 games this season so far we have won 4, drawn 1 lost 3 (I'm counting Derby as a defeat because we got knocked out). That really is not good enough for a side that should be challenging for the title and after spending over 300m on players in the last few years. Jose out!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Poor game. If we were playing well elsewhere we'd chalk it off as a blip, which all teams can have on nights like this when it matters far more to the opposition. But we're not playing well, we're playing like strangers match after match. The surest sign that we look to be in big trouble is that these performances and these results aren't actually that surprising anymore.

Martial played well, he deserves to start at the weekend. The penalties were all great apart from the last one. Dalot looked ok in the context of a poor team display overall. Mata's goal was very well-taken. That's the end of the positives.

DocRockter

I'm OK with this.. When/if we are chasing a goal, say in UCL or in the League in spring, this was a good exercise.

Their players shot some world-class penos TBF.. It was the second Craig(South Park voice) which I think Grant should had saved but can't say another..

The attacking quartet should had put this one in bed in the first 25mins but this is football.
fecking love Fellaini,

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I suppose we'll just have to win the treble then.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 40% of 449 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 320 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Derby win
  • Draw