LC L League Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 2:2 Derby County

Post-match discussion

Tue, 25 September 2018

LordSpud

What happens when we play Chelsea? City? Liverpool? Juve???

I'm bricking myself at the thought of Valencia to be honest, and we are only an Arnautovic brace away at the weekend from an absolute catastrophe...

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We have found our level: knocked out of the league cup at home by Derby.

What separates the top teams from the lesser sides is they have players that can do what others can’t. That piece of magic out of nothing, that composed finish when the pressure is on.

The best teams have guys who can deliver when desperately needed. Think of Chicharito scoring after 36 seconds against Chelsea when he knew the title was on the line. Or Van Persie scoring a last minute free kick at Wastelands.

By that bar we aren’t an elite team. We don’t have players who need one chance to decide a game. We have players who need 4 or 5 chances before making an impact.

This is our level. Van Gaal was right many of us are living in the past expecting more. Support the team but don’t expect success to come of it. You’re just setting yourself up for disappointment.

When Jose goes don’t expect the next bloke to come in and make us magically better than City. That’s years off. Years...

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Credit to Derby. They showed some nice stuff but when they made mistakes we didn't capitalize. Our defense was cut through at least twice...we were poor overall. The way Derby took their penalties reflected their performance. They deserved to win. I think our patterns of play are still messed up. We over exaggerate. We make too many meaningless passes. We try flicks in stupid areas of the pitch. We're incredibly wasteful in the final third. We allowed Derby to believe they had a chance by not playing with any gusto or authority. If you switched the game on, you'd think we were in the same division. After the Wolves game, I would expect these players to stand up. I hear from some it was the 'B' team but many of them play in the first team. It's simply not good enough. We need a major overhaul at this point. Losing tonight isn't the end of the world but it highlights a real issue. Teams don't fear us. Not in the dressing room or in the tunnel and not on the pitch. And we can say that, forget names at this point. We need hungry players.

Andersons Dietician

Don't leave us hanging, bud.
I mean I’m not sure what he is talking about a lot of double talk. Criticised the team for not going for it and when the reporter said that’s the 2nd game in a row you’ve criticised the team performance and then Jose said he didn’t criticise them then waffled a load of rubbish.

Jamie Shawcross

What arrogance and knee jerk brattish behaviour or success has bred. We are going through a bloody rough patch, big deal. If we sack Mourinho it will be the biggest mistake this club has ever made. Hes not an imbecile, he will be fully aware of the lack of overall support he has got from his own fans. Pissed off beyond words at the antics of Pogba aswell. Joke.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
More how he was doing it. No meltdown In the face of some hostile questioning. Didn’t throw anybody under the bus, but confirmed he’s removed Pogba as vice captain. Says it’s his choice as manager, no beef with the player
No beef with the player but he's removed him as vice captain?

In interpret losing the vice-captaincy as 'I don't trust you, I'm punishing you for your attitude'. That, to me anyway, constitutes as beef. He has an issue with him.

tomaldinho1

He said he made decision to Pogba not being second captain anymore, but that there is no bust up. He also said he is the manager, and it is his decicion, as well as it was his decision to make Paul second captain.
Because Pogba is off in the summer to Barca

mav_9me

Lost to a manager who has less than 10 games under his belt and had Derby playing a certain way, at Old Trafford, this fraud needs to leave already.
That's such an indictment of Jose. He is here 2 years and there are people who argue what can one expect cuz he didn't get a couple of players in the summer.

Jamie Shawcross

Fans ripping Lee Grant, our 3rd choice keeper who was only on the field because of Romero's sending off. Disgrace. Slating Jones for missing a penalty, someone was going to miss. Credit to the lad for risking the wrath of the most unforgiving fans on earth and stepping up to take it. Joke

dove

It was always gonna be tough game, Derby know how to proper pass it about and that. Only thing Jose done wrong was not starting Fellaini in the first place.

Who cares about this cup anyways, on to the next.
Normally we wouldn't but it's the only realistic trophy we could have won this season because most teams play 2nd squad.

ErranMorad

I mean I’m not sure what he is talking about a lot of double talk. Criticised the team for not going for it and when the reporter said that’s the 2nd game in a row you’ve criticised the team performance and then Jose said he didn’t criticise them then waffled a load of rubbish.
The usual Jose fluff then. Nothing new.

The way the poster said "Honest comments", I thought he had admitted that he is past it.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Why is Phil Jones even still here after 8 fecking years. This kind of stuff is the reason the club is on it’s arse on the pitch.

Just get rid of all the deadwood! Jones, Darmian, Young, Valencia, Bailly, Lingard, Mata, Herrera.

All mediocre at best or past it.

RedNed77

No beef with the player but he's removed him as vice captain?

In interpret losing the vice-captaincy as 'I don't trust you, I'm punishing you for your attitude'. That, to me anyway, constitutes as beef. He has an issue with him.
It’s open to interpretation, but for me there was no malice in there. Just a realistic, rational decision. He’s still his best player, but he can’t have him as an authority figure given his recent outbursts. He’s managing the situation as well as I would say is possible given the circumstances.

The Firestarter

I am not sure if all these "This is fine, not a big deal" posts are genuine or taking the piss.

Josep Dowling

Fans ripping Lee Grant, our 3rd choice keeper who was only on the field because of Romero's sending off. Disgrace. Slating Jones for missing a penalty, someone was going to miss. Credit to the lad for risking the wrath of the most unforgiving fans on earth and stepping up to take it. Joke
I have read a proportion of the comments and can’t see many evening mentioning Lee Grant.

Jamie Shawcross

It’s open to interpretation, but for me there was no malice in there. Just a realistic, rational decision. He’s still his best player, but he can’t have him as an authority figure given his recent outbursts. He’s managing the situation as well as I would say is possible given the circumstances.
Spot on. Mourninho cant do right for doing wrong at the minute. Pogba needs reigning in. Hes not THAT good and hes certainly not THAT important. Needed bringing down to earth. Arrogant kid. Raiola has ruined the lad from day dot

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Normally we wouldn't but it's the only realistic trophy we could have won this season because most teams play 2nd squad.
I'd say these secondary domestic trophies are great when used as a platform when building a team, for that winning mentality.

Right about now they mean sweet nothing tbh. We have much, much bigger issues to deal with.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
True. I fear this will backfire massively though. Pogba knows he's an awesome player and will be snatched up by the likes of Barca etc. He could choose to just refuse to react to this, continue the anti-mourinho rhetoric and get transferred at the end of the season.

Then we're left Pogba-less, and, if the season so far is anything to go by, likely Mourinho-less. A true state of limbo.

Andersons Dietician

The usual Jose fluff then. Nothing new.

The way the poster said "Honest comments", I thought he had admitted that he is past it.
Nah nothing of the sort, he did confirm that he has removed the vice captaincy from Pogba which I guess is what that poster was referring to, but Jose claims there was no beef with Pogba but unless Pogba has said he doesn’t want to be captain I can’t see how Jose taking it off him can be a good thing in any way. He was quite prickly on the subject.

BlueHaze

I don't even know what to say anymore we are hitting low after low and it's just getting tiresome. We better just get used to being shite and not competing for any big titles for a long while. It's impossible when the man in charge of crucial decisions for the clubs future is a spineless git who knows feck all about football.

ErranMorad

Nah nothing of the sort, he did confirm that he has removed the vice captaincy from Pogba which I guess is what that poster was referring to, but Jose claims there was no beef with Pogba but unless Pogba has said he doesn’t want to be captain I can’t see how Jose taking it off him can be a good thing in any way. He was quite prickly on the subject.
No beef, but he removed him for no good reason after he played well in the last two games. Makes sense.

He is prickly on every subject. Thinks him and his methods are beyond questioning.

minoo-utd

Dalot and Fred look shit to you? You need better fecking glasses then!
Fred miss passes alot and loses the ball too much for a midfielder and Dalot never made a right cross for 180 mins now! Do we always have to wait 1 2 3 years for a player to develop? Can't we just get the right ones for once ffs.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Fred miss passes alot and loses the ball too much for a midfielder and Dalot never made a right cross for 180 mins now! Do we always have to wait 1 2 3 years for a player to develop? Can't we just get the right ones for once ffs.
You know Dalot assisted United's second goal with a cross?

kundalini

The irony that so many Mourinho players had terrible matches, while Martial was our best player.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 40% of 449 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 320 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Derby win
  • Draw