LC L League Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 2:2 Derby County

Post-match discussion

Tue, 25 September 2018

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Derby were the better team and deserved the win , we knew we had a poor squad of players overall and last night was just another illustration of that. It was no real shock.
I keep seeing these kind of posts, are you saying Derby had a better team man for man out there? Obviously not. So you can't say we lost because of a 'poor squad of players'. It's for the manager to motivate them, to coach them patterns of play, to tactically set them up, the game plan.

Not particularly aiming at you mate, but we gotta wake up and smell the coffee. If our players are constantly playing well below their levels then there's something clearly wrong with the staff who handle them and their methods.

I see a group that are not buying in to manager's ways. A group of players assembled by this very manager 3 years in to his tenure and several transfer windows spending hundreds of millions.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I keep seeing these kind of posts, are you saying Derby had a better team man for man out there? Obviously not. So you can't say we lost because of a 'poor squad of players'. It's for the manager to motivate them, to coach them patterns of play, to tactically set them up, the game plan.

Not particularly aiming at you mate, but we gotta wake up and smell the coffee. If our players are constantly playing well below their levels then there's something clearly wrong with the staff who handle them and their methods.

I see a group that are not buying in to manager's ways.
At the same time though posts like these keep popping up.
"Patterns of play, to tactically set them up" are we really at the point where we think Mourinho doesn't know how to do these things? The man has won over 20 trophies in his career.
This is probably the worst squad he's managed personnel wise, so it's no wonder the results on the pitch are worse than at his other clubs.
He's not blameless don't get me wrong, but so many of our players need to go, ones that have been here since Fergie, Moyes and van Gaal.
If Mourinho goes and we don't replace a large bulk of the squad, the managerial merrygoround at United will just keep going.

Coxy

Derby were the better team and deserved the win , we knew we had a poor squad of players overall and last night was just another illustration of that. It was no real shock.
The players we sent out last night were good enough to beat Derby mate.

Coxy

"Patterns of play, to tactically set them up" are we really at the point where we think Mourinho doesn't know how to do these things? The man has won over 20 trophies in his career.
This is probably the worst squad he's managed personnel wise, so it's no wonder the results on the pitch are worse than at his other clubs.
He's not blameless don't get me wrong, but so many of our players need to go, ones that have been here since Fergie, Moyes and van Gaal.
If Mourinho goes and we don't replace a large bulk of the squad, the managerial merrygoround at United will just keep going.
They're still good enough to get better results than we have been doing.

DaleT

Outclassed by one of your former players in his first year of management. Absolute joke. Has not go to grips with new tactics. Pack your bags Jose, high five Zidane when you see him in the hall.

Dec9003

They're still good enough to get better results than we have been doing.
So we keep saying, yet here we are, with the third manager post Fergie likely to get the boot whilst the average players survive.

iluvoursolskjær

And we all keep talking about what Jose has done in the past. He has done nothing since being here, and like I said, he's had 5 transfer windows and a shed load of money. He has assembled this squad, and underachieved massively with it.

Managers have achieved a lot more with a lot less in my much lesser time. Just look at Sarri at Chelsea. Even Lamps has derby playing good football!! Outplayed us with a fecking championship side. At old Trafford no less.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maybe but it's hard not to think back to Chelsea, where the same squad of players went from looking like world-beaters to absolute donkeys with him in charge (then back to world-beaters again when he left)

Dec9003

And we all keep talking about what Jose has done in the past. He has done nothing since being here, and like I said, he's had 5 transfer windows and a shed load of many. He has assembled this squad, and underachieved massively with it.
Jones, Young, Valencia, Herrera, Mata, Lingard, Romero, Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Darmian, Smalling, Rojo, Fellaini etc were all here before Jose.
The vast majority of these players have shown over the last 3/4 managers that they are not good enough for Manchester United, and yet year on year they end up staying.
We can get rid of Jose, but if we don't get rid of at least 80% of these players then the results won't drastically change.

redom

Maybe but it's hard not to think back to Chelsea, where the same squad of players went from looking like world-beaters to absolute donkeys with him in charge (then back to world-beaters again when he left)
And even Chelsea this season, their style has changed completely from Conte to Sarri with largely the same squad - albeit an important addition in Jorginho - it's just the mentality and approach to the game that's changed.
I certainly don't believe this is the best football that can be produced with this group of players.

Dec9003

I agree, but which players have looked like world beaters at United? De Gea is the only one and his level hasn't dropped since Jose came in.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
And even Chelsea this season, their style has changed completely from Conte to Sarri with largely the same squad - albeit an important addition in Jorginho - it's just the mentality and approach to the game that's changed.
I also thought the Chelsea squad were kind of unique in the way they can down tools, then pick them up again when it suits. Maybe the same is true at United?

Although, to be fair, I've yet to see much picking up of tools from our current shower, under any manager!

iluvoursolskjær

Jones, Young, Valencia, Herrera, Mata, Lingard, Romero, Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Darmian, Smalling, Rojo, Fellaini etc were all here before Jose.
The vast majority of these players have shown over the last 3/4 managers that they are not good enough for Manchester United, and yet year on year they end up staying.
We can get rid of Jose, but if we don't get rid of at least 80% of these players then the results won't drastically change.
Other than ourbfullbacks (though Shaw has upped his game) and Jones, we have a pretty decent team imo.

And like I said, 5 transfer windows in, if our team still can't go toe to toe with the likes of Derby - who takes responsibility for that?

Dec9003

Other than ourbfullbacks and Jones, we have a pretty decent team imo.

And like I said, 5 transfer windows in, if our team still can't go toe to toe with the likes of Derby - who takes responsibility for that?
I agree I think we have some good players, slme are included in that list to be fair.
The players have to take some responsibility for me, like I say a lot of them are the same culprits when we go out of a cup to a supposedly lesser side.
Joses signings in general have been decent but I'd agree that they haven't been great, If the board aren't going to give him more money then he needs to go now rather than wasting the fans time this season.

iluvoursolskjær

I agree I think we have some good players, slme are included in that list to be fair.
The players have to take some responsibility for me, like I say a lot of them are the same culprits when we go out of a cup to a supposedly lesser side.
Joses signings in general have been decent but I'd agree that they haven't been great, If the board aren't going to give him more money then he needs to go now rather than wasting the fans time this season.
Agreed, they most certainly do. It's just that I've seen plenty of games where they look proper up for it, the intensity is there but the football remains disjointed/forced and if Fellaini is fit its not 'if' but rather 'when' we resort back to hoofball. We are incapable of opening up teams playing football on the ground and I'm tired of the fact that we seem most dangerous when we bypass the midfield with a longball. Its not even plan B anymore, its all we've got!

We should be doing much better in the middle of the park with Matic, Perreira, Herrera, Fred and Pogba in the ranks.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Nothing short of a disgrace. One up inside three minutes against a Championship side and we rarely threatened again. Only Fellaini seemed to have pride in wearing the shirt - the rest (except for Lee Grant who was so unlucky with their second goal and Dalot) should be ashamed. The team isn't good enough, the squad isn't strong enough and the club looks lost. I warned of disaster two weeks before the season started and was howled down, with abuse and the closure of the thread. Now, tell me I was wrong! Don't even start me on Jones's pathetic excuse for a penalty. The moment I saw he was up next I knew we were beaten and in truth we didn't deserve to take it to a shoot out. We were played off the park by a group of players I've barely heard of. I hate criticising the manager, but he was as poor as the team. People are asking whether he or Pogba will be the one to go - frankly, at the moment (while not calling for Jose to be sacked), I won't miss either of them. And Woodward is a joke too. No one is backing anyone else - I call that a disaster. The club has totally lost its way

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Don't worry guys. Losing is nothing new for us!

Oh boy.
At times like this, Jose needs to keep his mouth shut.
Better to do the 3 x respect, then walk out, than say that it's normal for MUFC to lose matches.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
And Jones?... feck me, if you can rely on one big lump to feck it all up, then he's yer guy.
I used to blame Jones a lot, but now Jose has to be held accountable.
We all know that Jones will make several mistakes a game and most likely will enable the opponent to score. So why pick him?
After he lost us the FA Cup Final (amongst a whole host of errors in other games), Jose should never have played him again.

The way I see it: if you start with P.Jones, you accept that you are starting a goal down. So to win, you need at least 2 goals.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I was 100% sure martial was going to miss, then I was sure Jones would miss. Unfortunately I was right the 2nd time.

To be fair Derby deserve to go through.
Me too.
I was surprised that Martial scored, but when Jones stepped up and missed, I wasn't surprised. Why the hell is he taking penalties. He should not have started or played this match.

Oldyella

So we keep saying, yet here we are, with the third manager post Fergie likely to get the boot whilst the average players survive.
He's in his third year and we are getting worse if anything.

Oldyella

I used to blame Jones a lot, but now Jose has to be held accountable.
We all know that Jones will make several mistakes a game and most likely will enable the opponent to score. So why pick him?
After he lost us the FA Cup Final (amongst a whole host of errors in other games), Jose should never have played him again.

The way I see it: if you start with P.Jones, you accept that you are starting a goal down. So to win, you need at least 2 goals.
One of the reasons I was excited for Jose to take over. I thought the average players like Jones etc would be pushed out. Just hasn't happened.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
On the flip side to United being piss poor, it was great to see a fairly young Derby side come out and play with confidence at Old Trafford, fair play to them.. Mason Mount looks a talent! Although I remember Bradley Johnson being useless, so a tad embarrassing seeing him boss the midfield

Kostur

海尔的老板
Sitting front the t.v holding the mobile at the 95th mins saw Fellaini scores. Hadn't notice it was from Dalot really. Apologies. But still not that convinced of him. Opinion.
'I spout fecking bullshit but you cannot call me out on it because it's an opinion'.

Darlington Padgett

On the flip side to United being piss poor, it was great to see a fairly young Derby side come out and play with confidence at Old Trafford, fair play to them.. Mason Mount looks a talent! Although I remember Bradley Johnson being useless, so a tad embarrassing seeing him boss the midfield
Every team comes with confidence to Old Trafford now.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I also thought the Chelsea squad were kind of unique in the way they can down tools, then pick them up again when it suits. Maybe the same is true at United?

Although, to be fair, I've yet to see much picking up of tools from our current shower, under any manager!
Yep. The players forgot to read the part of the memo where it says that at some stage you need to pick the tools back up.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The two have really fallen out now. Pogba left the stadium at 1-2.
I'm not sure about that.
I think he left the spectators section to go to the changing room and wanted to ensure that they don't get mobbed while going to the team's changing room.
I can't believe that he, Shaw and Perriera, at 89 minutes would just go home.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Even when we were winning it was total shit. The football on show was laughable. Could barely get out of our half at home against, with all due respect, a championship side.

How he's still in a job I'll never know.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 40% of 449 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 320 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Derby win
  • Draw