PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 05 October 2014

bleedred

David De Gea!!!!

Why do the lads always put us through the mill...

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Great result that, might have frayed our nerves somewhat but these are the games we need to be winning again if we want top 4 this season. Just need to build on this now.

Also DDG is a glorious bastard.

montpelier

Fortunate

We are a team that needs to take its chances

(((DDG)))

Kazi

LvG is taking the wrong people off in his subs. Van Persie and Mata should have been subbed today, not Falcao and Valencia.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Odd match.

Everton really were at half pace until the last 10 mins. We should've scored more really.

stretford_oslo

Great game considering we missed two of our most important players. Everton are a good side.

Defence still a mess though, DDG really saved us today.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Good win in the end. Our football was decent overall and we deserved to win, but we struggled to hold on at the end. While our defenders individually had solid games, I still think they struggle as a unit when under pressure on the ball.

De Gea was excellent in goal and produced by far his best performance of the season, while Di Maria was very good again and continues to be our best outfield player. Falcao will also be very pleased to have gotten off the mark and can hopefully continue to progress from here.

Mata was relatively disappointing though. Hardly awful, but he was very quiet at times.

Raw

What is it with us making things so nervy at the end? What a win and what a performance from De Gea and Di Maria. Blind was magnificent too.

Valencia was surprisingly good in that role too, but I feel that things would have been more calm if Herrera was in.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It's not been easy again. But we are getting there

Really committed at the back again which is fantastic to see. It's clear we have been working hard since the Leicester game

Blind was terrific again, as was di Maria

But raf and DDG were outstanding

imperi

When the players are getting tired, they dont have the confidence anymore to keep closing down their opponents. They still have to get used to this new system. As this season progresses I have no doubt that we will easily close out games like this.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sorely missing Rooney, Mata and van Persie were absolutely useless. De Gea is a machine and di Maria is so good. We have this odd bottling mentality where we drop so deep in the last 10 minutes, it's so odd.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
We cannot expect to make top 4 hanging on to matches like this.
Of course they have to do better. But there are a lot of players out, and a lot of new players. Things should get better. Winning tricky games like this while still going through some growing pains makes it a a great day.

Nights

Rafa and big Dave outstanding. Great to see Falcao getting the first of hopefully many.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Pretty good performance considering we had Valencia in midfield. We would have been much better with Herrera there, but 3 points is 3 points. I'd rather we stopped just letting them onto us in the last 10 minutes though.

montpelier

We're an upper-ish mid table team with potential to improve.

Gonna be a roller-coaster.

Boycott

RvP's hold up play is still not at his standard, or to be frank to the standard we need into those situations.

Trizy

Thank god De Gea stood up when he was needed the most. We really need to get out of our weekly head drop and allowing the opposition to play ball, we're making these teams look a lot better than they are.

Stand out players for me today:

De Gea - Need I say more?
Rafael - Absolute bossed the entire game but defensively and attacking.
Valencia - Done extremely well in his new role, a lot of fouls but that was to be expected.
Di Maria - A class above but a bit greedy today, set piece was wank.
Blind - Giving a lot of time to play his role

Someone

Something
We deserved to win, de gea saved the day but overall we were the better team and should've scored more.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When the players are getting tired, they dont have the confidence anymore to keep closing down their opponents. They still have to get used to this new system. As this season progresses I have no doubt that we will easily close out games like this.
We "only" play once per week, if anything, Everton players should have looked a lot more tired.

Of course they have to do better. But there are a lot of players out, and a lot of new players. Things should get better. Winning tricky games like this while still going through some growing pains makes it a a great day.
I think even with a fitter team, the same pbs of shitting bricks will be apparent. DDG saved us today. We're a very poor team psychologically wise

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Seriously though, we did fantastic with a 19 year old Northern Irish lad playing beside an Argentinian who doesn't speak a lick of English and can be somewhat erratic. I'd say we did pretty fantastic in all regards.

EDIT: Fantastic!

tom33

Really disappointed with Everton. I used to have a soft spot for them, because they always seemed a nice club, but blatant dives from Naismith and Baines and twice playing on while we had a man down injured. I guess they're getting desperate after their poor start, but I thought they were better than that kind of behaviour.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The undroppable RVP problem looks like it might become a worry. It seemed so counter productive to take Falcao off when he was getting chances and had just got off the mark.

We'll wait and see.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Need Herrera back for sure, and need Jones as well, especially if Rojo will need to cover for Shaw.
A decision has to be made on RVP by the time they play Chelsea.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Good game, much needed result.

For me, DDG, Di Maria and McNair (shutting down Lukaku is not easy) on the podium. Rafael and Shaw, really really good as well.

and of course happy for Falcao and his first goal. First of many.

a experienced voice is missing on the back of course... a proper leader on the back will prevent situations like Rafael and the offside line for the Everton goal.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The players are still not up to Van Gaal's fitness levels. Our performances have consistently dropped in second halves this season in general. That'll improve with time. One big positive is that they're coming to terms with the manager's methods. Consistency will come with experience in the system.

De Gea and Rafael's performances, especially the former were absolutely heartwarming. Both have come under unjust flack in recent times. But proved that form is temporary, and class is permanent. Defense was stout in general. Rojo and McNair done well. Chuffed to Falcao, get a feeling there'll be a deluge now that he's got one. And Di Maria, what a man. Shoe-in for the PFA player of the year based on his United career so far.

Great 3 points. Might stay in the Top 4 if upcoming results go our way. :cool:

legball

It was a good win, we dug in and everybody did their job. Big three points.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Very important win today. We finished the match with two rookies in the defense and hence why they battered us in the last few minutes. With all the injuries(it'll happen some day!) we'll look more assured in matches. RVP and Mata were average again.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Should have been so much more comfortable than it was. First half was a stroll, penalty aside of course, which didn't go in anyway. We looked incredibly threatening for about an hour or so, and it's a shame we didn't keep rallying to put the game to bed.

We invited Everton to fight for an equaliser as we just couldn't keep control of the game.

Robin was anonymous mostly, and Mata was quiet in the 2nd half as well. I was impressed with McNair handling Lukaku, and I thought Valencia had a fine game sweeping up between the boxes. Taking him out of a creative role and allowing him to use his athletic abilities looks to do him good. Falcao's movement was superb, but he snatched at a few chances. Had a good header on target, and took his goal well. Glad it didn't take him too long to get his goal.

De Gea, Di Maria Rafael and Blind were all excellent

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 93% of 975 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 637 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win