PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 October 2018

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ander was on the pitch 6 mins of normal time and 6 mins of injury time.

He made 2 tackles and 2 interceptions in that time. As much as most combative midfielders will make in a full match. Only Luke Shaw with 5 tackles and 1 interception won the ball more than Ander did for us today... In literally 12 mins.
He was great. I say this a lot but he should still be our starting DM as he intercepts the ball and tackles for fun. Plus he covers so much ground which will give our forwards a bit more freedom because they know Herrera can cover said ground if we concede possession.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not sure if it was just Everton not turning up or our merit but that was the most comfortable I've been in a while playing Everton.

Until Pogba had to be Pogba and Smalling wouldn't let him steal the show.

Good to see Martial keeping it up and Pogba sans the brainfart. Mata should get more credit, makes us far more fluid. Say what you will about his pace, but he is far and away our most intelligent player. Kudos to Lindelof as well.

Overall, good signs.
Everton been a good opponent for Man. United in recent times...beat them 4-0 and 2-0 last season. Also won that cup semi final in 15/16 when Lukaku missed a penalty.

The Real Treble 99

Decent game nothing to shout about. Martial clearly the best player on the pitch with Lindelof coming 2nd. The score line should’ve been 3-1 but I can forgive Tony he went for the photo finish rather than smashing it home.

On the other hand cannot forgive Lukaku who was awful once again & so far from being a striker. We did make a hard slug of it especially as I thought Everton were quite poor & if not for the idiocy of Pogba & Smalling then they’d be dead n buried. Lucky penalty from Pogba but another fantastic finish from Martial who is increasingly becoming a menace to the opposition. Saying that priceless 3 points, we still need a lot of work doing but a good win.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
We were decent at times, but why bring Lukaku on at all if no injuries? Maybe Rashford wouldnt have scored if stopped on, but its nailed on Lukaku wont. Great goal by Martial and Pogba played ok until he lost it in midfield for the goal. Lindelof still has errors, but is playing a lot better now hes been given a run. Still cant see top 4 finish. Its also a bittersweet pill as if we did do it, the glazers wouldnt bother sacking Mourinho.
Aren't you a glass half empty kinda guy...

How do you suggest we build Lukaku's confidence and form back? Starting him and praying? At 2-0 up it's a no brainer sub.

Nikelesh Reddy

That was an important win,but the chinks in our team are still glaringly obvious.Fred and Matic were poor in the first half,they played marginally better in the 2nd....Luke Shaw had a poor game,i have absolutely no clue why he was tucking in so close to the Centre backs especially when Martials playing in front of him?Time and time again there were acres of space on the left...

Lindelof and Smalling seem to be developing an understanding,but both need to improve significantly if we want to finish 4th.Pogba was as usual good in patches...But Mata and Martial were impressive tonight.Delighted to see Anthony score another terrific goal....Hopefully he will go from strength to strength now...

All in all,Arsenal dropped 2 points today....Hopefully Spurs will lose on Monday.Forget about the top 3,we arent good enough to catch them..,.Our challenge is to finish ahead of Spurs and Arsenal...

Alabaster Codify7

Made it much harder than we needed to, of course.
Martial was great, Fred and Lindelöf very good, the rest were hit and miss. Take the 3pts.

Suvvernmanc

Much better today. Pressing was good even though i would like a much higher press. Our midfield had good possession with the intent to create attacks with Martial and Rashford making runs from wide positions with Fred and pogba getting forward with the attacks when they could too.

Martial ran and ran and ran. Something that he is criticised for not doing enough and for good reason. He often doesn't look arsed but today he chased everthing, he tracked back and covered for Luke Shaw on so many occasions. Close to his best 90 mins in a UTD shirt in my opinion.

The bad points today would only be individual errors, no real bad performances. Pogba' silly run-up for the penalty miss and Smallings tackle was something i dont expect from experienced players and with Smalling who's form had been good recently. Also Rashford and Martials 1 on 1s should have been put away. These are the type of opportunities that they need to be scoring.

Everton were poor overall and didnt look like they had the quality to beat us. Our midfield dominated theirs and our attack got in behind their defence far to often and if it wasnt for Jordan pickford it could have been quite a different score line, he was incredible today.

The desire was there, hopefully it will be away to Bournemouth next week.

Reactions: Penna

Canagel

Ander was on the pitch 6 mins of normal time and 6 mins of injury time.

He made 2 tackles and 2 interceptions in that time. As much as most combative midfielders will make in a full match. Only Luke Shaw with 5 tackles and 1 interception won the ball more than Ander did for us today... In literally 12 mins.
Very interesting. He should be the DM. No idea what Matic is meant to be doing. He doesn't win any tackles or make any interceptions.

AndyMUFC

Good performance that should've been more comfortable than it was. We looked much more fluid with Fred and Rashford in the side over the likes of Fellaini and Lukaku but still looked pretty shaky at the back bar Lindelof, who followed up a really good performance on Tuesday with a repeat here.

Two points closer to the top four and a much needed win with a couple of tough away fixtures coming up.

antohan

Everton been a good opponent for Man. United in recent times...beat them 4-0 and 2-0 last season. Also won that cup semi final in 15/16 when Lukaku missed a penalty.
Fair point, but they were in horrendous form (rock bottom if I remember correctly). I guess it's more a case of "the most comfortable after expecting a tight/nervy game".

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Very solid game. The most solid I've seen in a long time.

The last 10 minutes were irritating. Could of finished them off but instead we were inviting the pressure on, not a part of the mentality that I like.

We played some seriously slick stuff. I know pendantics will focus on the negatives but the passing was far superior this game compared to previous. We even played some close quarters one touch stuff (almost taboo in recent weeks). There were of course some errors and misjudgements, but overall, I never felt as if we were out of control until the last 10 minutes which is annoying.

Martial clear MOTM for me, some superb defensive duties were shown by him, shame he couldn't get a second but it was a great save from Pickford.

Overall, very happy with a very dynamic looking 80 minutes. Like, actual runs being made and movement, there was an energy about them that was refreshing. The last 10 mins? Standard, need to just learn when we're on top and go for the jugular, annihilate them further rather than allowing them back in.

Gordon S

We needed that win.

Pogba and Martial looked great, Lindelöf decent.

Young plays with passion but he is look shaky in defence at times. We need a new first choice right back. Unless Laird and Dalot can develop into top rb's very quickly..

Would love to see another top player help Pogba out in the middle. Fred, Matic, Herrera, Fellaini and Mctominay are not good enough options.

I want Rashford to keep starting games as a striker, his confidence is extremely low atm but he runs his socks off at least. The talent is there, just needs time and a turning point.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Some bright spots, but also some nonsense too. You can see this team still lacks belief.

All the good stuff, are things the fans have said should have been done ages ago. Lukaku benched, a fluid front three, Martial playing regularly, and a second holding midfielder to free up Pogba.
The defence still looks really shit though, and the inability to kill the game off was another sign of how fragile this team really is.

SSSSnake

How hard is it to coach defenders not to slide in? Smalling could have cost us but thankfully his other partner played another blinder.

Maybe not all of Jose buys have been bad.

antohan

Some bright spots, but also some nonsense too. You can see this team still lacks belief.

All the good stuff, are things the fans have said should have been done ages ago. Lukaku benched, a fluid front three, Martial playing regularly, and a second holding midfielder to free up Pogba.
The defence still looks really shit though, and the inability to kill the game off was another sign of how fragile this team really is.
I fail to get how a team that started first and only dropped from second to third for a week last season can lack belief. It's really frigging odd.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The team are playing football. Compared to what Jose endured with Chelsea when they wanted him out, I'm happiest about that. Who knows what he said to them a couple of weeks ago but they've felt like a different team.

We're still behind our rivals but I'm feeling more confident about our chances of going up the table. One game at a time I suppose.

/very barebones summary

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I feel bad for all our fans who wanted us to lose. Hope they’re not too disappointed.
I hope they cry themselves to sleep tonight and for the rest of the season.
Some people on here thought it weird when I said that some of fans would be very disappointed if we go on a run or win a trophy. But there are plenty on here who hate Jose so much, that they'd quite happily see us lose matches and trophies, if it meant there was a chance he would get sacked.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Is it just me or does anyone else hate when the ball goes to Young? It seems all he does is hoof the ball to the striker and we end up losing the ball because we have shit strikers. He did that a lot more when Lukaku came on.
Thank you for mentioning this. Everytime the ball goes to Young I cringe because I know he'll hoof it and we'll lose possession.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Pretty classic Pogba hater. The guy is carrying the entire team since the beginning of the season but keep thinking he's doing that for himself. Some in Madrid were saying the same thing about Ronaldo, we don't hear them much these days.
:lol:

We are being short changed.

It’s not a great achievement to be the standout player in this team.

Pogba plays well some of the time but let’s himself down way too often.

It’s not agenda driven to call out his inconsistency.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's from the manager. His subs invite the pressure. Every game ends up being a struggle when it doesn't have to be. Same with Leicester game.
The panic began once we brought on Lukaku. This was not a defensive sub. In fact, some may argue that this was an attacking sub.
Once the team started shitting their pants, Jose brought on Herrera, as Everton were attacking.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Is it just me or does anyone else hate when the ball goes to Young? It seems all he does is hoof the ball to the striker and we end up losing the ball because we have shit strikers. He did that a lot more when Lukaku came on.
Surely though it is the responsibility of our striker to improve his ability?
Young is doing what he is supposed to (ie. get the ball to our attackers as quickly as possible). If Lukaku is useless as everything (and I do mean, everything), Young cannot be blamed for that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Bad apple Sanchez must go, could be why Martial is stalling on his deal, whoever sanctioned Sanchez wages MUST be fired!
He doesn't need to go, he just needs to be tried in any of the other attacking positions where we don't already have a top class player. Other than Martial all the other spots are open for somebody to take.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The performance till about 60 mins was quite good. RB is an obvious improvement area, and I'd like to see Herrera in for Matic or Fred. Otherwise the selection was fine.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He doesn't need to go, he just needs to be tried in any of the other attacking positions where we don't already have a top class player. Other than Martial all the other spots are open for somebody to take.
I personally think he'd be superb as a second striker. Could be our new Rooney.

JG3001

Maybe I’ve overlooked it through the thread, but everyone seems to be overlooking the dive by Martial because of the much needed win. Was a classic Vardy-style, throw your leg at the opponent in the box type penalty. I’d have been livid if that had been given the other way. Take nothing away from his goal however

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Patchy - there were moments I really enjoyed, particularly from the start of the second half to Everton scoring. Not great that we lost all incentive and direction when Lukaku came on.

Better than the majority of the season so far, which would have to be considered "progress" of sorts.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The performance till about 60 mins was quite good. RB is an obvious improvement area, and I'd like to see Herrera in for Matic or Fred. Otherwise the selection was fine.
I thought Fred helped the quickness of our movement and one-touch passing.

Coops73

Martial my MOTM, Pogba played well and then gone done a Pagfart and cost us a goal which is why he really frustrates and fecks me off, if he grows up, stops trying to be everyones pal he’ll be brilliant.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The panic began once we brought on Lukaku. This was not a defensive sub. In fact, some may argue that this was an attacking sub.
Once the team started shitting their pants, Jose brought on Herrera, as Everton were attacking.
Really. I thought the panic began after their penalty was scored.

I was nervous before kick off then relaxed at 2.0 but the last fifteen minutes were typical squeeky bum time. We did create good chances though and in general we are progressing.

I did think that Lindelof is starting to look much more accomplished. Silly tackle from Smalling but apart from that played well.

simplyared

Never felt worried today tbh. Not even after they got one back. We played some good stuff today and it was entertaining! I'd sum it up with one word = MOVEMENT. We had it today!

starman

Looked pretty good and ensured until Lukaku came on.

Would like to see Mata playing as a No10 and Lingard or Sanchez to come in on the right (or Sanchez upfront)

Last edited:

GM K

People are making too much of the Pogba and Smalling errors (admittedly, they were very bad errors and could have cost us the game). More importantly, Rashford, Martial and Lukaku could have and should have killed the game off. This, for me, is a worrying trend.

On a positive side, Martial, Pogba and Lindelof had great games and collectively, the team played pretty good football most of the game.

Ban

I don't get how and why scousers comment on our games.

Ander should be starting games instead of Matić.
Too much is made of Lukaku sub, he shouldn't be starting but you can't just scrap him totally.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 78% of 641 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 442 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw