PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 15 December 2019

Gasolin

Dan James, Lingard and AWB were very, very poor in attack. They seem to be great when we play good teams but against teams that defend and we have the majority of possession they are very poor. No surprise we are linked with Sancho and Madison; these are key weaknesses. Dalot should be in consideration too when we play "lesser" teams.

Just to many poor performances in attack and a lucky goal for Everton. One point closer to top 4 though :)
We had possibilities in the first half, the onus is on the team to kill the teams. That's what we have to learn to do now. That's something that players need to learn, through and through.

.Phil1968

3 steps back after a good few games not just the result but for the lethargic performance for a large portion of the game.Martial not doing nearly half enough to warrant keeping his place week after week. Squad needs serious strengthening in January.

kidbob

Did enough to win. Their goal was a joke considering what was disallowed for Villa, Davies should have been off with the foul on McTominay and the Martial one is a borderline penalty. Hard to win with so much bullshit going on. In saying that it's about time that Greenwood was given the nod to start and like it or not Gomes (who has understandably struggled) is a better option than Mata off the bench too.

If Pogba is in the 10 position we turn a lot of these draws into wins. He can't come back quickly enough. In hindsight we should have attempted to loan James Rodriguez from Real.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Rashford was greedy and made idiotic decision making. Martial was useless.

One of them should have been subbed off at least - to at least bring an effective player on to make an impact or to at least make a statement that if they don’t perform they will get dropped.

TommiHelm

Like a record on repeat. We don't have and never will have (under this manager) an attacking plan against more defensive teams. Saved by some individual effort by the guy that was subbed off when he shouldn't have been, and the one that should have started the game. But at least the players are happy and feeling like they're one big family. That's good.

PoTMS

I can quite confidently say we're not making top 4. We just don't have the bottle for it.

The Urban Goose

Another one to put down to the inconsistency of youth - McTominay, James, Rashford all poor.

Mind you, so were Lindelof, Shaw and Martial. Not convinced any of these three deserve to be here long term.

OverratedOpinion

Got robbed, we were not great but we looked fine until they scored a dodgy goal and had something to defend. Whoever was checking VAR today needs a talking to.

Crimson King

Really should have won when you look at the injuries Everton had and the balance of the game. The goal should have been cancelled out, might have been a different game then. We should still be good enough to come back though.

Ole can't just set the team up the same every game and expect to beat teams that come to defend. He needs a plan for these games. Unfortunately we don't have the players to unlock a tight defence without Pogba.

It would also help if our fullbacks could cross the ball. They can both make the overlap, but you just know they're going to hit the first man every time.

Paul_Scholes18

Rashford was greedy and made idiotic decision making. Martial was useless.

One of them should have been subbed off at least - to at least bring an effective player on to make an impact or to at least make a statement that if they don’t perform they will get dropped.
Agree, but we only had Mata and Greenwood really to bring on. Our lack of options up front force us to play these guys every game.

Matst1

Bad result, obviously, but if you were asked if you'd take 7 points from 9 playing Spurs, man city away, and Everton, I think most people would have been quite pleased with that. It's just so disappointing considering Chelsea lost yesterday but it's still a point gained on Chelsea, not a terrible result.

We're not being coached well. it is difficult breaking down the low block but it's not as hard as we're making it out to be. There are ways of doing it but it seems we just go out with the same tactics no matter who we play, surely the coaching staff can see the team need new methods implementing? I'm not sure about Carrick and Mckenna.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
In 12 months, he came back from a loss to win only once. This is his level, I am not being hard on him. When we sack him, he will go back to Norway. No big team will risk their future with him.
Because we don't have creativity. It's abundantly clear that's why we struggle to break teams down but some of you continually ignore this very simple point. You can pretend that's all on Ole all you want to suit your agenda, but it doesn't make that issue disappear. If Pogba starts today we win comfortably, it's that simple.

Betson

Martial is so frustrating , no doubt about the talent but there is just no drive in him at all , looks disinterested most of the time but then can came up with the goods now and again with a bit of real quality. I think we just need so much more in a front man if we have any real ambitions above been an average team.

Also so frustrating that after our goal as a team we showed no real desire to kick on and get a winner. There is both quality and character lacking in that group of players.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Some will say we were robbed, but tbh I don’t see how we deserved to win that. Apart from a bright opening 10 minutes, we never really laid a glove on them. We eventually make the breakthrough from an individual piece of magic, and in years gone by that would be enough to wake us up and we’d throw the kitchen sink at the opposition from there, usually going on to win. But it never really happened, the game just fizzled out. We huffed and puffed but never had the quality to go on and win the game, which says it all really. We’re just not consistent enough to be winning every week.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Anyone want to explain why Evertons goal was allowed to stand?

Ludens the Red

Can’t believe I fell for it, I actually thought we’d turned the corner. Should have known better really :rolleyes:
Really, really poor performance, after 15 minutes Ole should have been looking to change it with Everton’s back three outnumbering Martial but wasn’t any change. Playing Lingard in games like this is basically counter productive now, all that happens you spent 3/4 of the game with a pointless player then have to sub him off this wasting a sub.

bondsname

Ward has the most pumchable faces I've ever seen.

Everton were dog shite and didn't deserve anything from this game. What a crap team. Congrats Everton, fouling our goalkeeper and Lindelof having a brainfart is what you needed! I bet they're bringing our the champagne tonight, useless twats.

Jericholyte2

Completely robbed by VAR today. In what world is that NOT a foul on De Gea these days!?!?

Only remember him having 1 other save to make.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Some will say we were robbed, but tbh I don’t see how we deserved to win that. Apart from a bright opening 10 minutes, we never really laid a glove on them. We eventually make the breakthrough from an individual piece of magic, and in years gone by that would be enough to wake us up and we’d throw the kitchen sink at the opposition from there, usually going on to win. But it never really happened, the game just fizzled out. We huffed and puffed but never had the quality to go on and win the game, which says it all really. We’re just not consistent enough to be winning every week.
Their goal shouldn't be given.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Martial should be sold. He is not happy to sit of the bench and when he plays, he is shit. Scoring in every 3-4 games. No passion, no energy and pure lazy. Selling him in the summer is the best thing to do. Bring in Haaland now.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Greenwood's goal was superb, I love seeing the lad making finishing look so easy, particularly as once again other players have had chances to kill a game and failed.

I was happy with McTominay and Fred, they were not perfect by any means in possession but very industrious. AWB is a fantastic one-on-one defender, I think Shaw also did well to snuff out anything they sent down his flank. Lindelof besides the obvious was ok and Maguire was solid at the back and willing to get forward when possible.

On the other hand Martial was poor, Rashford very ineffective aside from a few bursts and a nastily-hit free kick. I don't know why we didn't get James beasting Baines for pace more often, he worked hard but we didn't play to his strengths and the shots he had were all very tame. I fear this result puts the Spurs-City wins in perspective; we are able to set up well in big matches to get the odd result but we can't live with being favourites in PL games and nor do we seem up for the grind against the bottom 15 or so teams. Our fine standing in the 'top six table' is scant reward when we're constantly giving two points away elsewhere.

Hughie77

James was tired, what was he supposed to do?
Mata came on late to try and create, more than James could he's better in close situations, James better with space, plus he's run his legs out , right sub at right time for me.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Swapping Lingard for a player with bonafide creativity and we win games like this. Also, Greenwood has to start. If we’re not going to create many chances having a decent finisher is vital

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Well, you know, pretty poor result and performance. Mctominay dipped a little below his recent levels, Rashford looked like his old self and Martial showed his worst side. I'm happy at least that every miserable bastard on here, having had to suck it up for he last couple of weeks, get to let loose again at last. Every cloud etc.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Not the absolute worst performance but it’s just so devoid of creativity. When Rashford/James/Martial etc are off their game you can’t expect Fred or Scott to step up and run the show.

spottieottiedopaliscious

A game of poor mistakes, missed chances (at least 3 great opportunities in the first 15), and lack of concentration. Very frustrating, but hopefully players can learn and improve and the coaches can improve them.

Giggsyking

Because we don't have creativity. It's abundantly clear that's why we struggle to break teams down but some of you continually ignore this very simple point. You can pretend that's all on Ole all you want to suit your agenda, but it doesn't make that issue disappear. If Pogba starts today we win comfortably, it's that simple.
What is my agenda? wanting us to beat teams and win titles. I guess I am guilty. So tell me now, when Pogba is back and we still look like today, will you change your mind?

Djemba-Djemba

It was very frustrating in general.

But the really disappointing aspect from today was that we get back to 1-1 and theres's still over 15 minutes of game time left.

And yet we did almost nothing from then on and in fact Everton looked much more likely to go on and score a winner.

Gasolin

So Ole gets the praise when we beat teams but it’s the players fault when we don’t. Ok
And I will ask again. Were Rashford and James supposed to miss their chances? Was Lindelof supposed to score against our own goal?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
James was tired, what was he supposed to do?
How do you know James was tired?
My understanding is that James is fit enough to play for 90 minutes.
Whatever the case though, subbing of James, for Mata, did not make a difference to the score line.

The issue we have is that we are a counter attacking team. If a team does not attack us, then our attackers don't know how to break that team down.
If a team attacks us, they leave more space in their own defence, which Rashford is very good at exploiting. This is why against teams like LFC and MCFC (who came to attack us), we did well.
If a team wants to beat us, they need to hit us on the counter - that's the best tactic to use. And as it happens, it is the smaller teams who tend to use this tactic, which is why we do poorly against the smaller teams.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
Probably the Ole out brigade will come back for his head but really what more can the coach do? Lingard misses againts a empty net inside 20 seconds, players passing to the other team and an own goal

SteveW

Dominated. Heaps of good build up play.

Ruined by some absolutely awful crossing and shooting.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 44% of 269 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 275 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw