PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 October 2021

Coops73

When I saw the team sheet I thought “feck!” but I thought we played well for the most part.

Everton offered feck all despite what I’m hearing on here and the media. We were far the better team and I thought our passing was crisp and quick, I was actually disappointed when Fred came off, thought he was playing really well and Sancho was excellent when he came on.

The narrative will be negative from the media, talking like Everton deserved the equaliser or even a win but that’s not how I saw it.

Should of taken them to the cleaners with our start and first half performance but thems the breaks sometimes.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
When I saw the team sheet I thought “feck!” but I thought we played well for the most part.

Everton offered feck all despite what I’m hearing on here and the media. We were far the better team and I thought our passing was crisp and quick, I was actually disappointed when Fred came off, thought he was playing really well and Sancho was excellent when he came on.

The narrative will be negative from the media, talking like Everton deserved the equaliser or even a win but that’s not how I saw it.

Should of taken them to the cleaners with our start and first half performance but thems the breaks sometimes.
Think the changes messed us up completely.

James Peril

just seen the stats for the game, we had more than double the amount of possession but only 1 more shot. that's quite damning.

Possession Home72% Away28%
Shots Home13 Away12
Shots on Target Home 6 Away 2
Corners Home10 Away1
Fouls Home10 Away 9
Shots are kind of uninteresting, it’s about chances. What chances did we create? You can huff and puff and send weak shots from all angles, we didn’t create shit. Against Villa we had a semi-chance from Greenwood, a header from Pogba…. Today I can’t recall much after the goal. If Liverpool or City fail to score against Villa at home, you can bet your ass they will have 6-10 big chances and a whole lot of bad luck.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

If this was an isolated occurence, yeah of course. But this "sometimes" happens way too often.

jimmyb2000

I thought we played some nice football today - lots of snappy 1 touch movement and lots of triangle passing. The best we looked all day was when the original 11 were playing....although we had a period in the first half from around 20 mins to 40 mins where we allowed Everton into the game too much and eased off a bit too much.

Some bullet points from the game:

1 - If Martial had to be taken off due to injury fair enough but the Cavani substitution seemed unnecessary.

2 - Bruno should be our club captain - I loved his enthusiasm and effort today.

3 - We slowed up our play so much as soon as Pogba came on - we need to get this guy out of the club asap.

4 - What was Shaw doing for the Everton goal - pelted across the pitch to the right hand side to support Lindelof and then just kept running past the Everton player.......and left hand side of the pitch had no-one there.

5 - I'm not a fan of Ole but that performance was an improvement on the last 4 or 5 games. Still, I don't think we'll win owt with Ole at the wheel....probably be better of with Teddy Kennedy at the wheel....showing me age now.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
But he's had the context of a big club and failed? I'm only for getting a new manager in if he's an obvious upgrade on Ole.

I'm not saying that Rodgers is bad, but it's a sideways step on the decent manager we already have.
Rodgers is miles better than Ole

lex talionis

Fair points, but the way I judge the non-score performances of two sides is how many quality scoring chances does each side create? By that accounting it was fairly even today. Not perfectly even as I would say we edged it, but Everton created enough chances to deserve the draw that they got. It can't really be said that one side is "far better team" if we didn't create far more many quality scoring chances.

As for methodology, I can certainly be questioned on the Everton goal that was disallowed for offside, but it was in fact a quality scoring chance.

Giggsy13

that last line speaks volumes...
And it’s not even because I think Arteta is a great manager, he’s not. We have a squad that is vastly superior to arsenal yet they can go ahead of us in the table with a few more bad results.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Rodgers takes this team no further than Ole already has. Guaranteed.

Rodgers is in a zero pressure position at Leicester, and the moments there have been real league pressures, he's bottled it.

He's a fine EPL top half manager, but he's not elite. And unless Ole is being replaced by an elite manager, it's not worth it. We all know where that road leads. It's been the case for the last 8 years.

Giggsy13

Donny is done and clearly not going to have a career here. Ole is displaying a very stubborn streak which is not serving him well. But maybe he can at least put DVB in the shop window and at least see for a couple of games whether DVB can cut it. I have no love for DVB because he really hasn’t played enough but for OGS to persist with McFred is actually harming his own interests.
Dont sell Donny, sack the manager and bring someone in who can get the best out of him and others in this squad.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Shots are kind of uninteresting, it’s about chances. What chances did we create? You can huff and puff and send weak shots from all angles, we didn’t create shit. Against Villa we had a semi-chance from Greenwood, a header from Pogba…. Today I can’t recall much after the goal. If Liverpool or City fail to score against Villa at home, you can bet your ass they will have 6-10 big chances and a whole lot of bad luck.
Martial header, Cavani header, Sancho weak shot but good chance, Pogba header, Pogba curling shot from good area, Greenwood decent right footed shot and Ronaldo wide shot from poor angle. All of those were good chances.

Dec9003

Rodgers is in a zero pressure position at Leicester, and the moments there have been real league pressures, he's bottled it.

He's a fine EPL top half manager, but he's not elite. And unless Ole is being replaced by an elite manager, it's not worth it. We all know where that road leads. It's been the case for the last 8 years.
He might not take us where we want to be, I don’t know if he would or wouldn’t. He’s a much better manager than Ole though, he’s had a far better career winning silverware at Leicester and Celtic.
Rodgers is up against teams that are just able to massively outspend him. For me it’s a credit to him that he’s been as close to the top four as he has these past couple of seasons.

Esquire

Martial header, Cavani header, Sancho weak shot but good chance, Pogba header, Pogba curling shot from good area, Greenwood decent right footed shot and Ronaldo wide shot from poor angle. All of those were good chances.
We created enough chances to win. You can say maybe we needed to be more clinical (Edi header and Sancho finish) but I don’t blame the forwards today. They were not the problem. Midfield clearly was. There is no effing way that McFred can start again the next couple of games. Matic, Pogba or DVB should have a chance to play.

Giggsy13

So is that 9 league games at home in a row where we’ve failed to hold a clean sheet?

Heinzesight

Three personal highlights from today’s game:

1. AWB taking a quick free kick twice, all the while Lindelof is telling him it’s a fecking throw in.

2. Pogba’s WWE moves. Arsehole.

3. Ole’s shit eating grin on 94 minutes.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Fred is a liability and a weak link, we are in dire need of a top quality DM, or a player in the Carrick mould. As for the manager he did a good job in stabilising the club after the Jose era. However, simple fact is that we will not progress and make that next step of winning trophies while he is in charge.
Yes but you have to ask yourself why is he in charge, given his lack of qualifications? The answer is because he is a human shield between the fans and the Glazers, and will never complain or blow the whistle over how the club is run. It's a Glazer problem, not an Ole problem. They will just replace him with someone equally bad or another mercenary.

It would have helped (I'd go KP personally) but when we're 30 yards out against 8, 9 players, we look limited in options and when we have Pogba, Bruno, Ronaldo, Sancho, Greenwood on the pitch, that's not good enough. Coaches, players and manager.
Yes of course he's a weak coach. But playing 6-2-2 as one wag put it is nuts anyway. But those are the players he has.

Esquire

Yes but you have to ask yourself why is he in charge, given his lack of qualifications? The answer is because he is a human shield between the fans and the Glazers, and will never complain or blow the whistle over how the club is run. It's a Glazer problem, not an Ole problem. They will just replace him with someone equally bad or another mercenary.

True but it’s not like there aren’t any good technical assistants out there. I’m sure we can find Ole a Qeiroz or Meulensteen. Point is Ole has not been good enough but Carrick and others should not be given free passes either. One thing about SAF, he always had good tacticians helping him.

glazed

True but it’s not like there aren’t any good technical assistants out there. I’m sure we can find Ole a Qeiroz or Meulensteen. Point is Ole has not been good enough but Carrick and others should not be given free passes either. One thing about SAF, he always had good tacticians helping him.
You've accidently written your post to look like I was saying what you were saying.

The point is that SAF had balanced teams and was so powerful that he was in charge of transfers, even under the Glazers. If he needed a 29 year old striker with a big transfer fee and no resale value, he got it. The only player we bought this summer that we actually needed was Varane. Sancho and Ronaldo were nice to haves, but we still have a fekked defensive midfield. That's the fundamental problem, not Ole's undoubtedly poor coaching skills.

The problem is the Glazers and how they run the club.

Jacko21

Thought the first half was encouraging. Looked somewhat more fluid and with a decent tempo to our play.

As ever though, another mindless goal to concede. We've looked susceptible to the counter from our own corners before today - if you're going to take an out-swinging corner, make sure it's a good one. Had ample opportunity to stop the counter though.

Lost our composure after that and the scrappy, chaotic play returned. No semblance of control yet again and gave plenty of encouragement to the opposition.

Ole needs to stumble upon a fix. And quick.

RedChisel

I'm sick of Ole ball now. Need some new ideas. We are going nowhere with him.

steffyr2

Ronaldo has been brilliant but the bigger picture is there's an ego there that Ole doesn't have the experience in managing, and from the outside it looks like its having a negative effect on the team overall.

The Cavani substitute today was a strange one for example, for me he was our biggest threat and was working so hard leading the line, even if the plan was to introduce Ronaldo at some point, to do it after 55 minutes, was clearly bowing down to the fact that Ole feels like he must have Ronaldo on the pitch and Cavani was visibly annoyed at being subbed so early. I thought it was disrespectful so he must have felt the same. Also Pogba in mid-week was also visibly annoyed at being subbed off, clearly they've all moved down the pecking order, now CR7 is back, and it doesn't look very coherent at all to me.

Each player needs to understand that the club and team are bigger than any individual, and overall I think Ole has done a good job of rebuilding the squad, but I am starting to wonder if the CR7 return could be the downfall of his project..

There's only one way this squad wins the Premier League this season - by bringing in a strong manager, experienced in game management, and adding a killer mentality. No way should Everton have got anything from todays game, but in the end, we are lucky to have got away with a draw. Dont want Ole sacked but...
How about looking at it a good way? There are too many players that are ok with being average, but Ronaldo isn't one of them. If Ole is happy with a team that can't cross and can't score off a corner, Ronaldo won't be.

glazed

Well no, most match going fans are behind him still actually, like it or not pal!
Yeah top reds are the last to turn on a manager. That's what makes them top reds, bless em.

To be fair we weren't that bad for a lot of the game. Fred fecked it for the goal and we should have scored more but it was better than against Villa.

dpansheth

One of these days, I’ll get the right channel and will be able to watch football “properly”

Oranges038

I saw people before the game being moaned at for pessimistic predictions.

I didn't expect anything more than a draw from this. Everton are shit, but they are well drilled and difficult to beat. Will still struggle against these sides all season because the movement in the forwards and passing from midfield is so shit.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
And suddenly, that's the only aspect of the game that matters? Just like the only thing that matters about Everton is that they're "depleted"?

Everton is a strong team, with or without injuries. As they've shown all season. In much the same way as they showed today. We won't be the only big team they'll create trouble for, and to talk as if it is in itself and self-evidently a travesty not to beat them at home is ridiculous.

If you watched the Villa game, and the Villarreal game, and then this, and think those looked anything like similar, then sorry, you're watching with either your eyes or your mind closed. We were miles better today than we were in those games. Still not enough end product, true, but that part of it too was improved.
No, it's just means you can't say we deserved victory and not expect people disagreeing with you.

Dec9003

Well no, most match going fans are behind him still actually, like it or not pal!
Are they? I know people sing his name in the ground but I know plenty who want him gone who go matches.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Why are you watching Goldbridge and then complaining about it?

Goldbridge is a nobody. His opinion has no impact on anything apart from you apparently.
I hardly watch him but tuned in to see if he is actually saying Ole out like he should be.

Like him or not he is very popular on social media. I don't have Twitter or Instagram so I occasionally watch the YouTube reactions to get something different from the caf.

The caf is pretty much Ole out so I was getting a feel for other platforms. His platform is huge.

CodeRed

If Ole hadn't bought Ronnie and Cavani then I think after today he would be 1 match away from getting sacked.

That's just my feeling. I've had over 3 hours since leaving Old Trafford and I was fuming when I left. Now I am seriously pissed off I'm afraid to say.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Are they? I know people sing his name in the ground but I know plenty who want him gone who go matches.
Of course the last few weeks have made doubters out of believers, myself included, but Ole's at the wheel was still being sung today and he wasn't booed off. I do worry the board may allow it get bad and he may see the match going fans turn on him but we are still very far from that.

We need an rvn

I've been saying for a while that I'd love him at the club.

Tactically he's a lot better, he's got good man management. Could see him doing great things with this squad

I've completely lost patience now with Ole as he's just not improved in the areas he needs to on as a manager, despite the owners giving him the best squad we've had for years!

Dec9003

I've been saying for a while that I'd love him at the club.

Tactically he's a lot better, he's got good man management. Could see him doing great things with this squad

I've completely lost patience now with Ole as he's just not improved in the areas he needs to on as a manager, despite the owners giving him the best squad we've had for years!
I think he’d really improve us as well, he’s a good manager. Obviously people will say his CV isn’t as good as Pep or Klopp’s but nobodies is. If we’re waiting for another one like them we’ll be waiting forever.

Sviken

Is this a joke? Rodgers almost won the league with that Liverpool side that only had Suarez as any type of quality in it. He completely dominated the Scottish league with Celtic (look where Celtic are now) and I think even got an undefeated season out of it. In Leicester he has performed very well, twice being a miniscule difference from a top 4 finish. All the while he has played beautiful attacking football.

How can anyone say Ole is even remotely close to Rodgers as a manager is beyond me. Brendan has achieved with the fraction of resources Ole has ten times more than him - in trophies, in playstyle, in results, etc.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Everton
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Everton