PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 October 2021

R'hllor

Wondering what real pundits from SP are saying after that today, what level of drivel those hosts came up today.

Woziak

Fred cost us 3 points.
Van de beek should have started.
Fred costs us 15 points a season he wouldn’t get in Southampton Brighton Everton sides, enfact I doubt he’d start for Fulham or Bournemouth in the championship ! And there is the problem , a player clearly out of his depth to play for an elite club just like our manager , out of his depth managing a super club !
Would Juventus, Madrid , Bayern, Chelsea , City , Liverpool or Barcelona want either of them , simple answer no.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Starting to drift down the manager change sort of arena now.

If you look at our season, Newcastle and Leeds aside, we've been fairly average. We scraped through v Villarreal, and don't have enough about us if things go wrong. Red cards, injuries etc.

Losing to Villa and not winning today shows why we won't be anywhere near the title, unless Van Gaal style we accidentally stumble across some amazing formation/line-up that works. Van Gaal's only lasted for about 5 or 6 games.

That said, we could easily have won today. That messing about from Fred was absolutely astounding.
He had 2 cracks at it, and simply needed to knock the ball out, slide it to a colleague, or simply commit a foul.

Once he'd done none of the above, the team was totally out of position and Everton played it amazingly.

Let off at the end through that alice band blonde clown's massive howler for Everton. If he shoots, they could easily win it 2-1. Playing a pass was madness.

EtH

Fred cost us 3 points.
Van de beek should have started.
Nonsense. There are a half a dozen players to blame for that goal. Which makes it all the more depressing. And McTominay is the one who should be rooted to the bench.

Either way it was another poor performance and a fair result. Two limited midfielders against a low block. Although Fred did deserve an assist. Brilliant and brave tactics once again. Sick at the sight of it.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
You don't think his insane play to give them the ball just before their goal was a huge factor in us not winning today?
Maybe, but we didn't lose, so he cost us two points. It was a poor moment, but don't think it can be pinpointed as the sole reason we drew.

Foxbatt

Rodgers takes this team no further than Ole already has. Guaranteed.

Rodgers is in a zero pressure position at Leicester, and the moments there have been real league pressures, he's bottled it.

He's a fine EPL top half manager, but he's not elite. And unless Ole is being replaced by an elite manager, it's not worth it. We all know where that road leads. It's been the case for the last 8 years.
He certainly will play more attractive football with this team. Hasn't he won the FA Cup with Leicester? Also the Charity Shield?

HailtotheKing

Of course the last few weeks have made doubters out of believers, myself included, but Ole's at the wheel was still being sung today and he wasn't booed off. I do worry the board may allow it get bad and he may see the match going fans turn on him but we are still very far from that.
I hope Ole is enough of a man and fan that he'd go before he was kicked so as not to taint his legend. He'll always be a legend, as much as he pisses me off in these days. But maybe he'll go if he realizes he can't take us any further. His absolute stubbornness suggests otherwise though. It will be such a shame if it comes to that.

Ixion

How can we play two defensive midfielders to protect the defense and give away the same chances game after game. They're either not cut out for that role or other players around them are letting them down.

Kinky Melinky

Now we are hoping and wishing for a Liverpool v City draw tomorrow. Hardly the mark of future champions. We are way off the pace at the moment and can be so easily unravelled

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Tbf he wasn’t good today besides the nice attempt with the header
What's your definition of good CF play? Getting nice chances?

Spent the entire game playing with his back to goal and pinning back their defensive line, which gave us space between the lines to work with the ball.

Greenwood was having a good game, feck me, Martial was having a good game, they all knew what they were playing at.

Then we made the subs and went back to being a confused mess.

Rearviewmirror

Supports
utd
Hi folks
Not wishing to get embroiled in an Ole in or out argument but just watching Arsenal v Brighton and it’s glaringly obvious that despite the fact that Brighton have no world class players and I doubt if any would make our bench let alone the first team, Potter has got them playing so well. Not remotely suggesting that we should appoint him however his team have an effective and defined way of playing that I’m failing to see in our team at present.
The tired ild arguments that we need this player and that player have been blown apart by coaches who have got their squad to play at their optimum level against better players and opposition

Foxbatt

What's your definition of good CF play? Getting nice chances?

Spent the entire game playing with his back to goal and pinning back their defensive line, which gave us space between the lines to work with the ball.

Greenwood was having a good game, feck me, Martial was having a good game, they all knew what they were playing at.

Then we made the subs and went back to being a confused mess.
I agree. I thick Lingard would have been the better option and it is not saying with hindsight. His movements are better than Pogba and is quicker than Pogba.

AFC NimbleThumb

How can we play two defensive midfielders to protect the defense and give away the same chances game after game. They're either not cut out for that role or other players around them are letting them down.
Because neither of McFred are actually DMs, the run around a lot rushing into bad positions but neither actually covers dangerous spaces well. The players obviously aren’t capable but what are our coaches up to?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
So Ronaldo plays for 40 minutes.. why couldn't he play for 60 minutes, get the game won and then sub him off? He's burying that Cavani headed sitter in the first half that's the difference between the goats and a good striker. Ronaldo never got a decent chance like that created for him
Sitter? Have you ever headed a ball? It was a floated cross and it had no pace on it whatsoever. When Cristiano got a similar cross from Fred on Wednesday he knocked it down for Lingard, that's as much as he could realistically do with that. Cavani was in a better position in the box, granted, and there was nobody to knock it down to, but it is to his credit he actually put some pace on it and forced a good save.

Hughie77

That's all Fred has to do is kick the player and the ball push the guy and the ball into touch, anything other than get off balance and do nothing. New a chance was coming as soon as he fecked it up. But before that it was a piss poor corner that put every player on the back foot.
So it was 2 Errors that lead to the goal. And before it why take Cavani off ? Ronny from 65 to 70 mins ok. We're leading 1 nil ok Sancho for Martial he had a knock, that was it. No need to bring Ronny on from 55 mins wrong call for me.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It was always zero because we didn't buy a top DM. That would have given us an outside chance. To have a good chance you need to play high press.
Mate a top DM isn't a magician. He'd get exposed and we'd ask for a new one inside a year.

It's the coaching.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It was a horrible result. A game we should have won comfortably. McFred was abysmal again, but amongst all of that negativity I think people are missing something very positive:

Jadon Sancho was VERY VERY GOOD! He played a fantastic game. Varane was also phenomenal but that is not a major news, while Sancho I think played his best game with us. Absolutely beautiful.

Danny

I thought he played well overall but it’s fashionable to kick a man when he’s down.
Come on, he lets the team down time and time again in big moments. It’s not good enough to play well overall (which he did) but today he, arguably, was the main reason the goal was conceded.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I think some people are way too harsh on Sancho. His strength is not skipping past players(although he can do that), his strength is passing and he does it very well. He releases the ball almost always at the right time and he makes great runs. He’s suited to a team that plays football, and if we somehow sometime manage to do that, he’ll shine. This is probably the only signing bar Bruno that I think we’ve gotten right in the last decade.

James Peril

It was a horrible result. A game we should have won comfortably. McFred was abysmal again, but amongst all of that negativity I think people are missing something very positive:

Jadon Sancho was VERY VERY GOOD! He played a fantastic game. Varane was also phenomenal but that is not a major news, while Sancho I think played his best game with us. Absolutely beautiful.
Jadon Sancho was hardly involved and certainly didn’t have a fantastic game. No goals or assists, no big involvements except for maybe a pass to Pogba unleashing a shot outside of target. Come on man, I want him to shine as much as you, but he was barely involved after coming on for 30 mins.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Jadon Sancho was hardly involved and certainly didn’t have a fantastic game. No goals or assists, no big involvements except for maybe a pass to Pogba unleashing a shot outside of target. Come on man, I want him to shine as much as you, but he was barely involved after coming on for 30 mins.
I respectfully disagree. He was very lively - full of tricks, harassing their defense, making fantastic crosses into the box (including that one to Pogba, but others as well), and landing practically every pass. As a winger, I think that qualifies for a great game. Scoring goals is not primary function of a winger, and as far as assists - well, he made great crosses that should have lead to something, but if then Bruno, Pogba, McT, Ronaldo and others he was setting up, were unable to finish - is that really Sancho's fault?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think he’d really improve us as well, he’s a good manager. Obviously people will say his CV isn’t as good as Pep or Klopp’s but nobodies is. If we’re waiting for another one like them we’ll be waiting forever.
Realistic and true.

Colin Clarke

Is this really all on Ole? Are the players bought during his reign his choices or the clubs? We where told the Murtough/ Fletcher appointments was a sign of things changing yet despite spending over £120 m this summer, the one position every United fan wanted sorted was left ignored, Midfield. I believed this was because he would be playing Donny more, how wrong was I. Sticking with Fred who hasn't played a decent game in a red shirt this year let alone this season proves Ole doesn't like or rate Van De Beek. But it's costing us games and points. This is a broken system running a broken club. Ole isn't obviously strong enough to fix it and should go but so should all those who can't make us champions again. We need winners in the on the pitch, in the backroom and in the boardroom.

Fitchett

Fred, Wan Bissaka and Shaw all rightly criticised for their failure to halt Everton's breakaway goal. Fernandes deserves criticism too, for delivering a bloody awful corner, which landed at the feet of the first Everton defender before the near post. Allied to his awful penalty miss against Villa, he has certainly been culpable in three dropped points in the last two home matches.

HailtotheKing

We played better this game (mainly the first hour) but we still gave them huge chances on the transition. Last season we were very solid, we were rarely scythed through like we have been on our last two games. So, what is happening? Against Villarreal I got it because Pogba was leaving McTominay horribly exposed and we had 3/4 of our defense replaced. This time we had McFred once again and were still ripped apart. Fred played ok. It's easy to go in on him due to his mistake causing the goal but he was generally far better than McTominay, who is back from a month out, played shite against Villa, shite against Villearreal and now shite again against Everton, playing almost every minute of every match. 3 games in 7 days after an injury. It's just bonkers. Why not bring Matic in instead and control the ball? Or perish the thought, Donny. Ole's decision making makes absolutely no sense.

AndyMUFC

Poor. We never do enough to win games and again looked pretty clueless in possession. It’s not good enough anymore, this.

Jericho

Poor. We never do enough to win games and again looked pretty clueless in possession. It’s not good enough anymore, this.
That’s it really.

Most of the time it looks like nobody even wants the ball, particularly the midfielders. The centre backs seem to spend the most time on the ball, desperately looking for someone who wants it. But no one shows and no one moves.

FatTails

You don't think his insane play to give them the ball just before their goal was a huge factor in us not winning today?
They had other chances and we didn’t create anywhere near enough (especially in the second half). If we won, it would’ve been a Villarreal-style win, and those are not sustainable.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
doubt you’ve actually been to any matches this season seeing as you’re so out of date.. But here match going fans
I was at the Villa game last week and large “youre my Solskjaer” chants were very loud around the ground, so yeah in general they’re very behind him still.

Litch

Fred gets bullied on half way line, not a back pass to their player in front of goal, not a OG, not in the last minute a penalty and he cost us the game? Whether he's good enough or not, some of the comments are absolutely ridiculous.
I'm in no doubt like others before him, he'll be gone soon interested who we gonna blame next when feck all changes. The issues are much more deep rooted than Fred and Scott....

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Where are the player apologies? I was starting to like those :(

Sure they'll have more chances soon, mind.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Everton
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Everton