PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 October 2021

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Fred, Wan Bissaka and Shaw all rightly criticised for their failure to halt Everton's breakaway goal. Fernandes deserves criticism too, for delivering a bloody awful corner, which landed at the feet of the first Everton defender before the near post. Allied to his awful penalty miss against Villa, he has certainly been culpable in three dropped points in the last two home matches.
Give over. Culpable? Bruno should not be blamed because we got scored on after his corner - it's at the other end of the bloody pitch. And the penalty miss - really? I get that people are frustrated but have a word. Neither of the results against Villa or Everton were on Bruno.

Amir

Obviously there were faults for the goal, but I'm far less interested in those as I prefer look at the big picture. So what if we've scraped a 1-0 win? It would just mask the faults which would haunt us in future matches and lead to the same bottom line: The team is not playing well enough.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Something which I think we should take from this going forward, no more corners from Bruno.

And I'm not just talking about his stinker that lead to the Everton goal.

They never look threatening/often lead to counter attacks. We're also missing a trick by not having our best passer/long-range shooter around the box - it would give defences an added threat to think about and maybe open up more opportunities.

Bruno's also one of the best at tracking back/well adept at the dark arts when necessary.

Just think we'd help ourselves across the pitch by having him on/around the receiving end of corners rather than delivering. For all his artistry, it's probably the weakest part of his attacking game.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
I am Ole-in. But I'll admit, he's bringing some pressure on himself now. The performances are not good. I'm hoping he can turn it around like he did after our slow start last year but we should be performing so much better than we are. His team selection today was a gamble and it didn't pay off even though we didn't play terribly. His persistence with Fred in particular is shocking - I don't remember a player playing so badly for so long and still starting every week for us. His treatment of Donny is also baffling, and is just another straw on the camel's back. I really hope he can turn it around, but he has to do it quickly or other teams will be out of sight.

I was at the Villa game last week and large “youre my Solskjaer” chants were very loud around the ground, so yeah in general they’re very behind him still.
Booing the manager in the stadium is not a thing for United fans. Ask each what they think and you’ll get a different response.

HailtotheKing

I am Ole-in. But I'll admit, he's bringing some pressure on himself now. The performances are not good. I'm hoping he can turn it around like he did after our slow start last year but we should be performing so much better than we are. His team selection today was a gamble and it didn't pay off even though we didn't play terribly. His persistence with Fred in particular is shocking - I don't remember a player playing so badly for so long and still starting every week for us. His treatment of Donny is also baffling, and is just another straw on the camel's back. I really hope he can turn it around, but he has to do it quickly or other teams will be out of sight.
Agree, except I'd say Fred was miles above McTominay again today. But McTominay gets the free pass because Fred makes the mistake. Sure, he should've taken the guy out. But overall he was ok today. Was crap for the first few games but been better since. It's Ole's obsession with McTominay that is costing us. And that's based on current form. Donny should be starting instead, simples.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Where are the player apologies? I was starting to like those :(

Sure they'll have more chances soon, mind.

Fred's could be sorry that he inexplicably not only lost two 50-50 at worst challenges, but didn't see the sense in either just kicking the ball out, or just taking Gray down.

Although how the rest of the defence capitulated so terribly didn't help.

James Peril

Excuse my directness, but how can you be Ole-in and write all that? Except for blind faith, hope or both, what is keeping you on his side? Should we continue rewarding this stuff? This is Manchester United, not Norwich.

USREDEVIL

I don’t get that lineup when we have an international break afterwards. Should have fielded our strongest side and absolutely dropped Fred and. Mct

HailtotheKing

Pleased for Martial that he scored but why is he no longer running at people and taking them on? He constantly got in good positions and then just passed the ball back or inside. I'd have loved to see him go at the full back and get past him. What's happened to him? Does he do it for France or has this totally left his game?

Martialfc

I am still absolutely livid. Can’t believe he was smiling at the end. Ronaldo will get rid of him soon. Bring in Zidane and watch us flourish!

The Purley King

Pleased for Martial that he scored but why is he no longer running at people and taking them on? He constantly got in good positions and then just passed the ball back or inside. I'd have loved to see him go at the full back and get past him. What's happened to him? Does he do it for France or has this totally left his game?
He played like he always plays.
Gets the ball whilst standing still. “Threatens” to break into a sprint down the line. Actually remains standing still. Passes it inside.
Rinse and repeat.

Eddy_JukeZ

tumescent performance again.

We got very lucky Davies went with the square option at the end.

Our defensive transitions are absolutely horrific.

Teams have figured us out. We don't get enough space to break out as much as we used to and even when we do, it's disjointed.

HailtotheKing

He played like he always plays.
Gets the ball whilst standing still. “Threatens” to break into a sprint down the line. Actually remains standing still. Passes it inside.
Rinse and repeat.
Yup, exactly that. Such a frustrating player these days. I know he put on a bit of extra weight to play as striker but I really don't get what he's doing. Heard he was playing well for France again but Im not seeing it for us. Such a waste of potential.

The Purley King

Yup, exactly that. Such a frustrating player these days. I know he put on a bit of extra weight to play as striker but I really don't get what he's doing. Heard he was playing well for France again but Im not seeing it for us. Such a waste of potential.
He was a far superior player when he was 19 years old.
Then he would actually move and defenders believed he may take them on on the outside. Now they don’t even bother covering that as they know he’ll never do it.
Good goal today (although it would have been saved but for the deflection) but the rest of it was wank as it has been for the last year and more.
A proper team would have binned him off some time ago but clever Utd decided to give him £200k+ per week……..

DT12

Supports
Everton
^^ I'm fairly happy with the start he's made. He spent the lowest of any PL club this summer (1.7 million) but the players he brought in, Gray and Townsend, have been our best players so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Even with Varane, Sancho and CR, Ole's Utd is still "Top4 at best". Because of matches like this draw, we won't win the PL.

darko

Obviously there were faults for the goal, but I'm far less interested in those as I prefer look at the big picture. So what if we've scraped a 1-0 win? It would just mask the faults which would haunt us in future matches and lead to the same bottom line: The team is not playing well enough.
The fault us playing two at the vack znd those two on the right 1/3 of the pitch. We were up 1-0 not trailing or tied. I don't want the side to park the bus but you have to play to the score.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Almost forgot. That was a seriously weakened Everton team. At home. Just a proper dog shit performance. Not good enough.
The more I reflect on it, the more I cannot understand why we chose to rest Cristiano Ronaldo. Ole's made some unexpected rotation decisions prior to internationals before. This time Ronaldo only has two international matches during this break: a friendly with Qatar and a qualifier at home to Luxembourg.

Amir

The fault us playing two at the vack znd those two on the right 1/3 of the pitch. We were up 1-0 not trailing or tied. I don't want the side to park the bus but you have to play to the score.
I'm more concerned with the team not creating much, again, rather than conceding one goal against Everton.

The United

The more I reflect on it, the more I cannot understand why we chose to rest Cristiano Ronaldo. Ole's made some unexpected rotation decisions prior to internationals before. This time Ronaldo only has two international matches during this break: a friendly with Qatar and a qualifier at home to Luxembourg.
I noticed with his weird rotations by resting key players (not just one) before the break last season as well which of course cost us a few points.

I can't think of a reason why he would do that.

EtH

Yeah especially considering that he’s pretty much run McTominay into the ground already this season.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Good opening here from Richard Jolly in The Guardian to give some perspective (not that anyone needed it) on the situation:

Lewis Dobbin and Charlie Whitaker were veterans of a combined total of one minute’s senior football for Everton. They were the attacking options on Rafa Benítez’s bench. Their Manchester United counterparts were Cristiano Ronaldo, Jadon Sancho, Paul Pogba, Jesse Lingard, and the lesser-spotted Donny van de Beek

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Well no, most match going fans are behind him still actually, like it or not pal!
I'm a season ticket holder and I'm not. Those I go with aren't. They're not all behind him, he's a legend for what he did as a player and the fans won't turn on him. They'll sing his name but trust the club to do the right thing. There's a difference.

Why aren't you behind him anymore? You were so far up his backside only a couple of weeks ago and trying to patronise us with your proclamations that we're shit supporters for wanting him gone. You're with us now though...go fecking figure.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I was in Liverpool watching this and I thought it was fecking awful. Very little quality from both teams but we were lucky to scrape a point in the end. Dreadful sloppy rubbish from us, I'm fecking sick of it.

Cantonagotmehere

I love Ole, and have been critical for sure but keep holding out hope. I'm almost done, and that for sure makes me sad.

We need a new approach.

Alek M

Da manic one
Tough for me to say anything. We do create some goal scoring opportunities but we are wasteful.

I would have liked to see Pogba for Fred starting

not sure why people complain about our line up. We were up 1-0. Martial scored, Cavani could have too
Didn’t allow many chances for Everton.
Happy that Sancho was bouncing a bit.

we need to play Pogba Mct inmidfield.

Fred runs his socks off and gives great energy in midfield. Tried to stop the counter.
Gutted thou. This should have been easy 3 pts.

POF

Really disappointing result. The lack of urgency in the team is the most worrying aspect. No tempo in the play at all. Watching Wan Bissaka and Shaw stroll to take every throw in is infuriating, especially when the team has momentum and needs to keep the pressure on.

The midfield 2 is a huge problem for this team. Fred gets all of the criticism but McTominay is the main problem. He is just a really poor player. His lack of quality is frighteningly bad for a Manchester United midfield player.

The attack is more "balanced" now in so far as it isn't completely driven down the left. But, the interplay between McTominay and Wan Bissaka down that right side is just so embarrassingly bad, I feel sorry for Greenwood having to get involved in it.

There is no answer for that midfield 2 in the current squad. Fred and McTominay are really struggling but Matic can't run, Pogba won't run and Donny is far too lightweight to dominate games from midfield. The only slight ray of hope is that Fred and McTominay are better in games against better teams where they don't dominate the ball.

Seeing a lot of comments about Sancho playing well. He's really worrying me. His lack of pace is really evident and his pass selection and options creatively are very poor.

Not to mention he completely bottled that challenge on the edge of the box before Everton's disallowed goal that should have lost the game. The reaction if Fred did that . . .

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Villa game was bad but the Everton result is the most dissapointed I have felt this season. Everton were there for the taking yesterday. Martial finally scored so well done to him but he still has a lot to prove this season. It's weird that so much of Utd's build up play does not result in a shot on goal. Very dissapointing.

jesperjaap

Another performance with some good points an dlots of things wrong. Ole smiling in the last couple of minutes had me livid, Everton are a decent side but were a weakened side, we should have won the game, we were poor and he is smiling? Would you EVER have seen Ferguson smiling at such a performance especially the goal? The pressing is weirdlly like other managers perfore.....good for 15mins, then it ends unless we go behind, why is this? The selection, the tactics etc etc etc

BUT and I said this when the season started, it was a concern and its now glaringly obvious, the biggest fault with us at the moment comes from our absolute failure to move a couple of players on and buy TWO new central midfielders! We have seen our midfield dominated and bypassed easily by almost every side this season from the good to the mediocre. For me, at the moment out best central midfielder defensively is Matic, Matic that looked finished 18months ago, Matic who slows down play and Matic whose legs are going as is his energy, but at least he has the intelligence positionally, the nouse to shield the ball and keep it, the calmness in possesion and decent distribution....the rest simply are squad options............

McTominay I dont mind as a squad options box to box, but he simply cant play the pivot role as he doesnt have the intelligence reading the game. WOefully caught out of possesion and not seeing runners or passes before they happen against Villareal and it happened again several times again

Pogba simply doesnt have the diciplineand is also overly confident and slack too often at the wrong times in possesion to play there consistently

Fred can run around and win the ball but what else does he do? His shootin gis generally woeful, his dribbling is very average, hi spassing is embarrasingly inconsistent, simple passes even and like McTominay he simply doesnt have the intelligence to play the pivot as he cant sniff out danger ahead of time

VDB - Well he hasnt played there much, he is neat and tidy and has energy, he is actually intelligent but again he is better for me box to bod and is all aroind average.

People spok eabout our midfield having more freedom with a good centre back behind them, being able to play higher with added pace behind, maybe a single pivot, feeling safer with a good defence behind them...........Always hated these tactical expert views on here, what utter garbage. A good centre back we have has helped with distributign the ball from the back and improved us defensively....it adds little in front. I think Maguire has been poor, the rest of our defence have been avereage to decent and DeGea has been superb so far................but they are gettign cvruelly exposed simply because they dont have protection in front of them, that hasnt been improved and it was what we most needed. It also for me exposed Fernandes and Pogbas weaknesses even more. Both have excellent quality, bith, especially Fernandes though, often give the ball away....and the ease with which sides are hitting us on the break from these mistakes makes Fernandes less effective as he actually often puts us in trouble as possesion is key.
I think we have been pretty good at time in games WHEN we play with intensity and move the ball quickly....that is also often slowed or cutrailed in midfield.

I genuinely feel, with all our other weaknesses that are there, if we had of signed two quality midfielders (and we had plenty of time to move players on to do so) we would be challening for trophies this season. I actually dotn think we woul dhave won any bar the FA cup, but we would have been close. Comparing McTominay to Rice, questioning the age of Camavinga, asking if Bissouma is good enough or too much o f just a destroyer....all tings I have heard and foudn laughable....and two from those and several other options as well and we would be top in my opinion....yet we still have for all the quality a shambles in certain positions and players who havent done it either that ar etalented....................

Williams, DAlot, Jones, Fred, Pereira, James ad Mata should all hav eundoubtedly been sold in this last window.....we sold one and loaned acouple

You can add to that list Bailly, VDB, Matic, Chong, Tuanzabe, Lingard and Martial

ALso Cavani wil leave which is a shame and Pogba I fully ecpect to which isnt a shame in my opinion, not bothered in the slightest............................thats half the squad

Get a second choice right bakc now Lamptey ideal as adds the attacking threat, get two central midfielders Bissouma and Rice are obbious candidates though there are plenty more, move Greenwood up front to integrate taking over ROnaldo over next season, hopefuly ELanga/Pellestri/Amad one of them can take his place as a back up to Rashford/SAncho and find an option to take the burden off and challenge Fernandes as he shouldnt be undroppable an dhe certainly shouold get rests. SHoetire/Hannibal being two possible options we already have..........but FFS sort out ore woeful midfield

copen1945

Really disappointing result. The lack of urgency in the team is the most worrying aspect. No tempo in the play at all. Watching Wan Bissaka and Shaw stroll to take every throw in is infuriating, especially when the team has momentum and needs to keep the pressure on.

The midfield 2 is a huge problem for this team. Fred gets all of the criticism but McTominay is the main problem. He is just a really poor player. His lack of quality is frighteningly bad for a Manchester United midfield player.

The attack is more "balanced" now in so far as it isn't completely driven down the left. But, the interplay between McTominay and Wan Bissaka down that right side is just so embarrassingly bad, I feel sorry for Greenwood having to get involved in it.

There is no answer for that midfield 2 in the current squad. Fred and McTominay are really struggling but Matic can't run, Pogba won't run and Donny is far too lightweight to dominate games from midfield. The only slight ray of hope is that Fred and McTominay are better in games against better teams where they don't dominate the ball.

Seeing a lot of comments about Sancho playing well. He's really worrying me. His lack of pace is really evident and his pass selection and options creatively are very poor.

Not to mention he completely bottled that challenge on the edge of the box before Everton's disallowed goal that should have lost the game. The reaction if Fred did that . . .
I am a big fan of Jadon, and he will come good. The way he skipped over the ball and the Everton player, however, wasn't what was required.

TeddyBear

'Ole's CL goal was overrated'
Toward the end of the stoppage time, the moment where he gave the thumbs up and smile to whoever that was, infuriated me.

That moment screams mediocrity and out of depth.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Everton
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Everton