PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 October 2021

Foxbatt

If our defenders are told to defend first instead of bombin forward all the time, we may not have conceded so many goals.

POF

I am a big fan of Jadon, and he will come good. The way he skipped over the ball and the Everton player, however, wasn't what was required.
If he's going to play like that, and when he failed to track Manquillo for his goal, he needs to be far more productive than he is.

What really worried me was the counter attack when he broke on the right. It looked like he was away and I was expecting him to drive forward into the space but he was caught up by a no mark Everton player in a few yards. I didn't realise how slow he is.

The main worry for me is that the players who show urgency (Ronaldo, Bruno, Cavani) are the experienced ones with less to prove. The others like Wan Bissaka, Martial, Sancho, Shaw and McTominay who have everything to prove are moping around looking like they just got out of bed.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Excuse my directness, but how can you be Ole-in and write all that? Except for blind faith, hope or both, what is keeping you on his side? Should we continue rewarding this stuff? This is Manchester United, not Norwich.
i'm Ole-in based on what I've seen over the past almost 3 seasons. We have definitely progressed under Ole and played some good football too, but the start to the season has been disappointing. I'm not going to write him off yet, we're still in a decent position, but I am starting to get concerned that he's going to sack himself with some of the decisions he's been making. We need to go on a run of results now and we've got some very tricky fixtures coming up. It could be make or break very early in our season.

RazorOz

Reality is we will keep having results like this while our performances are so bad. We've barely performed well in a game all season, we have individuals who can win games so of course we will win games, but when collectively you consistently perform so bad you're going to get very inconsistent results even with a set of top individuals.

The upcoming fixture list is concerning, we've had a very favourable fixture list so far, and still not done a great job with it, it's about to get a whole lot tougher. Sometimes we have performed better in these games though, so we will see. It is hard to see how our league position is going to be better in 2 months time than today though.

Flanders Devil

Hate singling Fred out but he could have bounced Gray out of bounds but instead got bumped off like a rag doll. Why can’t Ole see that Fred is not fecking good enough. Yes, he and McT save his job last year but this pairing is clearing not working this season. Play Matic, play DVB play fecking some other pairing and stop going back to your favourites Ole. You are losing the moderates who back you now.
Yeah, that piece of ‘defending’ was horrible from Fred. He had two bites at the cherry. First attempt was poor, but second one was inexcusable- Gray was on the sideline, so, as you said, he just needs to slide the ball/player both straight into touch, free kick / throw in - doesn’t matter. You see it 100 times over by defenders. There was zero tactical awareness shown.

Having said that, I think Matic probably doesn’t even get to Gray. And not sure really how fast / well DVB moves…so in that instance though it’s more about defensive structures and awareness even on our attacking set pieces.

And agree 100% with your overall sentiment. I’m one of the moderates that still is in favour of keeping Ole for now. But this last fortnight hasn’t helped.

Wilt

Wasn’t really a surprise on the back of the Villarreal shambles.

Esquire

You've accidently written your post to look like I was saying what you were saying.

The point is that SAF had balanced teams and was so powerful that he was in charge of transfers, even under the Glazers. If he needed a 29 year old striker with a big transfer fee and no resale value, he got it. The only player we bought this summer that we actually needed was Varane. Sancho and Ronaldo were nice to haves, but we still have a fekked defensive midfield. That's the fundamental problem, not Ole's undoubtedly poor coaching skills.

The problem is the Glazers and how they run the club.
I think we need to be fair in that the Glazers are leeches but they backed OGS this summer because they screwed up so badly on the super league thing. Whatever their motive, this squad should not be performing so badly. This is down to the coaching staff so I agree with you 100%.

Siezard

Let's focus on the positives.

Things Ole got right!

1. Gambling on Martial. The French wizard proved that he still got it in him and smashed a goal in with great power.

2. Managing young stars like Greenwood. Greenwood continued to impress.

3. Getting Varane who was solid in defence.

4. Getting Sancho who is always so creative.

5. By using his connections with SAF and other players, Ole is able to convince CR7 to join

Still the best United team since they last won the Champ league.

Last edited:

yipthatman

Newbie you do realise that midfield no matter how you defend it has been subpar for a few games now. Fred had every chance to shoulder Gary out of bounds at the beginning of that counter attack when they scored. Instead he got bounced off like a rag doll.
Newbie? Do you think that gives your argument more weight? I have actually been around for a long time mate. I had problems on my old account and closed it a few years ago, then I couldn't be bother to comment as a newbie for a long while.

My point is don't let the general McFred hate distract you from a huge problem at the club. Our finishing is absolutely shocking and this is why we couldn't win (obviously). It's been going on for a while now. The amount of times the ball is whipped across the box and no one is there. Tame shots from distance straight to the keeper. People shooting when the better option is to pass. Its second rate attacking.

Our defense is not the best at the moment and we concede quite frequently. This puts the burden on the attack if we want to win a game as its unlikely to remain 1-0. We had more than enough chances to win by getting the second goal.

I also don't think a professional foul by Fred would have helped too much and I think it's a bit scummy to be honest (It's as bad as needing a penalty to win). He would have then got hate for getting carded anyway as people didn't know at the time that it would lead to their goal.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Newbie? Do you think that gives your argument more weight? I have actually been around for a long time mate. I had problems on my old account and closed it a few years ago, then I couldn't be bother to comment as a newbie for a long while.

My point is don't let the general McFred hate distract you from a huge problem at the club. Our finishing is absolutely shocking and this is why we couldn't win (obviously). It's been going on for a while now. The amount of times the ball is whipped across the box and no one is there. Tame shots from distance straight to the keeper. People shooting when the better option is to pass. Its second rate attacking.

Our defense is not the best at the moment and we concede quite frequently. This puts the burden on the attack if we want to win a game as its unlikely to remain 1-0. We had more than enough chances to win by getting the second goal.

I also don't think a professional foul by Fred would have helped too much and I think it's a bit scummy to be honest (It's as bad as needing a penalty to win). He would have then got hate for getting carded anyway as people didn't know at the time that it would lead to their goal.
It's what happens when the manager's game plan is to let the players do whatever they want and hope they come good.

Esquire

I don’t disagree with you that finishing could be better. But come on mate, that was definitely NOT the reason we drew yesterday, nor was Ronaldo not starting the reason. Cavani was doing well and I honestly don’t know why he was subbed at 55 mins. Was he hurt? I don’t think so. Jadon was pretty good when he subbed for the injured Martial. I also don’t disagree with you and that our defence could be better with the lack of clean sheets. But the BIGGEST on field problem is our lack of a credible midfield. I don’t think the debate of a single or double pivot is as important as the lack of a good defensive midfielder who can retain possession or pass out of trouble. Matic was the guy five years ago. Pogba doesn’t like the role. Ole for some reason doesn’t trust DVB despite agreeing to sign him fo 40m. Scott is off form. Fred is just Fred. So who did we have? OGS and all of us have seen with our own eyes that at this point McFred can’t start. So why can’t we make some adjustments and play Matic and give DVB a chance?

yipthatman

I don’t disagree with you that finishing could be better. But come on mate, that was definitely NOT the reason we drew yesterday, nor was Ronaldo not starting the reason. Cavani was doing well and I honestly don’t know why he was subbed at 55 mins. Was he hurt? I don’t think so. Jadon was pretty good when he subbed for the injured Martial. I also don’t disagree with you and that our defence could be better with the lack of clean sheets. But the BIGGEST on field problem is our lack of a credible midfield. I don’t think the debate of a single or double pivot is as important as the lack of a good defensive midfielder who can retain possession or pass out of trouble. Matic was the guy five years ago. Pogba doesn’t like the role. Ole for some reason doesn’t trust DVB despite agreeing to sign him fo 40m. Scott is off form. Fred is just Fred. So who did we have? OGS and all of us have seen with our own eyes that at this point McFred can’t start. So why can’t we make some adjustments and play Matic and give DVB a chance?
I agree DVB should have started yesterday and I was surprised not to see him when changes were announced. Not that I think he is really much better than either of McFred, he just offers something different (better retention). Not sure how this would have improved our finishing though (maybe more chances?) and I think it was obvious that Everton were always going to score on their current form, not too hard to predict really.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Nonsense. There are a half a dozen players to blame for that goal. Which makes it all the more depressing. And McTominay is the one who should be rooted to the bench.

Either way it was another poor performance and a fair result. Two limited midfielders against a low block. Although Fred did deserve an assist. Brilliant and brave tactics once again. Sick at the sight of it.
Utter nonsense. All Fred had to do was foul the player and the move dies and they never score. Case closed

Bondi77

Let's focus on the positives.

Things Ole got right!

1. Gambling on Martial. The French wizard proved that he still got it in him and smashed a goal in with great power.

2. Managing young stars like Greenwood. Greenwood continued to impress.

3. Getting Varane who was solid in defence.

4. Getting Sancho who is always so creative.

5. By using his connections with SAF and other players, Ole is able to convince CR7 to join

Still the best United team since they last won the Champ league.
Good to see some positivity.
People on here must have short memories but I remember the LVG and Jose shitshow.

Lee565

Imagine the huge high ronaldo was on leading into yesterday's game after scoring a last minute winner midweek, only to then be dropped, it makes little sense when ole was happy to play the the likes of rashford into the ground in the past or persist with an out of form lingard game after game a few seasons back.

GueRed

Yesterday was pretty much standard.

Big games coming up.

I think we'll do well against Liverpool and City.

Fracture90

Not great but decent point in the end. Ole will get the right formula so no need to panic just yet.
It has been 3 years, one would think that by now he'd have at least a part of the formula nailed down. We're still as clueless as ever under him and strictly relying on a piece of individual brilliance to win us a game/save us a point.

Red_Aaron

I've woken up still furious about that goal. I just can't get my head around 4 seasoned top level players allowing that to happen without even attempting to foul them. It literally beggars belief.

The absolute state of pretty much every goal we've conceded this year is ridiculous. Yesterday in particular really hurt as some of our play was actually very good but we undermine it

Fckin International break now means I've got to stew in this now for ages

Bestietom

Goal should have never happened. Keano or Robbo would have put him into row 11...A strong shoulder would have put him out over the line.

Ixion

Good to see some positivity.
People on here must have short memories but I remember the LVG and Jose shitshow.
I remember Jose's Europa League final being a hell of a lot better performance than Ole's.

Steve 007

I have very mixed emotions. We dominated and got caught out by a counter attack. We left a 30 goal striker on the bench. The bottom line is Fred cost us two points.
I really want Ole to succeed but my faith is dwindling. We were outplayed by Wolves and Fred was terrible yet he never lost his place. We were dominated by Villarreal and struggled against Villa and West Ham. If Matic isn’t better than Fred why’s he still at the club?
Unfortunately I think Ole is gone mid December and the new manager comes in and strips what is actually a decent squad minus a good defensive mid.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I think we need to be fair in that the Glazers are leeches but they backed OGS this summer because they screwed up so badly on the super league thing.
Did they though? Much as I enjoy having Ronaldo and Sancho, they were less vital than fixing the central defence (done) and defensive midfield (not done). It's like my wife buying a new carpet when there's a hole in the roof. So either Ole is in charge of transfers but is totally incompetent or someone else is in charge of transfers who cares more about spreadsheets than team balance. And let's face it, we all know who that is.

Steve 007

Did they though? Much as I enjoy having Ronaldo and Sancho, they were less vital than fixing the central defence (done) and defensive midfield (not done). It's like my wife buying a new carpet when there's a hole in the roof. So either Ole is in charge of transfers but is totally incompetent or someone else is in charge of transfers who cares more about spreadsheets than team balance. And let's face it, we all know who that is.
We’ve all been moaning about a right winger for years. No one can argue we haven’t spent money on midfield. What was Fred about £52 million, 89 for Pogba, £46 for Bruno (yes I know he’s an attacking midfielder) £34 million for VDB, I’d be interested to compare the cost of our midfield to City or Liverpool’s. We also paid good money over the years for matic and mata.

RedCheekz

We have all the tools to compete and win everything it’s just we have an unqualified apprentice using them.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We’ve all been moaning about a right winger for years. No one can argue we haven’t spent money on midfield. What was Fred about £52 million, 89 for Pogba, £46 for Bruno (yes I know he’s an attacking midfielder) £34 million for VDB, I’d be interested to compare the cost of our midfield to City or Liverpool’s. We also paid good money over the years for matic and mata.
They're all attacking midfielders except Matic. We bought Fred as a Pogba replacement.

Look we do need Sancho. But if he wasn't there we still have decent options. When McFred stops working the whole team starts leaking goals.

Josh 76

Imagine the huge high ronaldo was on leading into yesterday's game after scoring a last minute winner midweek, only to then be dropped, it makes little sense when ole was happy to play the the likes of rashford into the ground in the past or persist with an out of form lingard game after game a few seasons back.
Do you think that Ole may have had a chat with Ronaldo and asked him how he felt after the midweek game. There were only 2 days rest and it being an early kick off. Ronaldo May have asked to be sub?

I’m not an Ole fan, but I think he got the team selection spot on. Cavani was a handful and Martial scored, we were 1-0 up and he brought on Sancho and Ronaldo on when we were in control.

The feck up was and has always been the midfield, which can’t be changed at this moment. Matic, Mctomminy and Fred are all bad as each other. He has no choice but to play them. Ole not signing a CM in the summer is another discussion altogether.

Bestietom

The question is still "Why did we pay 34 million for DvB when we really needed a holding DM".
Who decided on him.?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Maybe he should play that right winger we have all been craving for on the right wing.

James Peril

Dumping Ronaldo to the bench is the least of my concerns, for all we know they had a conversation in the morning and perhaps Ronaldo said he was not feeling his best. He’s old and will get injuries, so no problem resting him here and there. An injury-ravaged Everton without their best players is a good opportunity as well, we lost the two points because we are very far away from being a Team.

Bestietom

Do you think that Ole may have had a chat with Ronaldo and asked him how he felt after the midweek game. There were only 2 days rest and it being an early kick off. Ronaldo May have asked to be sub?

I’m not an Ole fan, but I think he got the team selection spot on. Cavani was a handful and Martial scored, we were 1-0 up and he brought on Sancho and Ronaldo on when we were in control.

The feck up was and has always been the midfield, which can’t be changed at this moment. Matic, Mctomminy and Fred are all bad as each other. He has no choice but to play them. Ole not signing a CM in the summer is another discussion altogether.
The obvious change was Matic for Fred who was just passing the ball back to them.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Inappropriate Behavior
I'm a season ticket holder and I'm not. Those I go with aren't. They're not all behind him, he's a legend for what he did as a player and the fans won't turn on him. They'll sing his name but trust the club to do the right thing. There's a difference.

Why aren't you behind him anymore? You were so far up his backside only a couple of weeks ago and trying to patronise us with your proclamations that we're shit supporters for wanting him gone. You're with us now though...go fecking figure.
You're a miserable c*nt :lol: who feels the need to attack a lot of my posts and have been enraged that I support Ole so I don't feel the need to explain myself to you but if you must know I feel the summer signings have elevated expectations now. This is the first time in Ole's tenure that I feel the squad is now capable of challenging and I expect as such. The fact we actually look worse than last season is a big concern now. I don't think he will be sacked anytime soon so for the sake of my mental health I choose to continue to support Ole and the club. The board couldn't give two shits, I can't control that.

Steve 007

Maybe he should play that right winger we have all been craving for on the right wing.
I think we can all agree that Greenwood has been excellent. Martial on the other hand not so good. I’m sure when Rashford gets back we’ll see Sancho on the right. It’s a needs must situation at the moment.

As for why did we buy VDB, the answer is simple every big club in Europe wanted him and we got him at an amazing price when we thought Pogba was going to go.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think we can all agree that Greenwood has been excellent. Martial on the other hand not so good. I’m sure when Rashford gets back we’ll see Sancho on the right. It’s a needs must situation at the moment.

As for why did we buy VDB, the answer is simple every big club in Europe wanted him and we got him at an amazing price when we thought Pogba was going to go.
I agree about Pogba. So what does poor Donny do now hang around waiting to see if Paul goes, maybe find out in January. If he stays we have wasted two seasons of Donny's career. Another worry for me is Paul is inconsistent now, you would hope he will decide to perform if he did get a new contract. Not sure he will though.

Bestietom

Then Why is he not getting game time.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Everton