EL W Europa League Group L

Manchester United 1:0 FC Astana

Post-match discussion

Thu, 19 September 2019

haram

It does when you're paying him 250k a week to stink the joint up with a piss poor first touch. If a 20 million pound winger from the championship is just as effective, why continue to flog a dead horse?
How much is Rashford on? Are you going to tell me he is a better number 9 than Lukaku? A manager with our options and squad should find a way to use Lukaku, and if not, buy proper replacements. This is very off topic so this is my last post.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Definitely. Bolstering RW and central midfield could have been done alongwith bedding in the youth. Hopefully we're waiting on Sancho for the former. But regardless there's nothing we can do but hope we see improvment in the collective and development of all these young players over the season (youth product and otherwise).
Well we could get our shit sorted for a change. This 3-4 signings per summer is good enough to freshen things up in a quality side however it's not good enough during a rebuild

Also I am uncomfortable waiting for player to finally grace us with their presence . No one is bigger then the club

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well we could get our shit sorted for a change. This 3-4 signings per summer is good enough to freshen things up in a quality side however it's not good enough during a rebuild

Also I am uncomfortable waiting for player to finally grace us with their presence . No one is bigger then the club
I mean it's one summer. Hardly waiting to grace us.

3-4 signing is not ideal for a rebuild I agree. 5 I'd say is ideal. However it's far more important to get the signings spot on.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That was a shit performance, really. But the likes of Rojo and Matic shouldn’t be anywhere near the team (albeit I understand that we need to play them in this competition) and the youngsters found it difficult. Greenwood’s decision making was especially off, but he’s learning. His goal was a mark of class, too.

I like Gomes, mind. In part because he actually takes care of the ball instead of acting like it’s a rocket. Our centre forward should probably take note of that.

We played like an inexperienced team that had never played together before. Which figures, in fairness.
Why not? This is the game where rojo and matic can contribute in rotation. Keeping the first teamer fresh.

We dont care bout this cup. Anyone that doesnt feature in the first team and can run is a good bet. Let alone international deadwoods. Time for them to actually earn their wage

croadyman

Well done Greenwood.

I think Gomes is the most ready of the three for PL football and Tuanzebe shoud start with Maguire.
Poor Chong.
Well done Greenwood.

I think Gomes is the most ready of the three for PL football and Tuanzebe shoud start with Maguire.
Poor Chong.
Yeah would be great to see him make the bench for a few league games,however unlikely to happen in a tough away game like West Ham on Sunday.

devilish

I mean it's one summer. Hardly waiting to grace us.

3-4 signing is not ideal for a rebuild I agree. 5 I'd say is ideal. However it's far more important to get the signings spot on.
This rebuild is so huge that we could have easily added a RW and still find space for Jadont. Its one thing waiting for an injury to heal (ex RvN) and its another refusing to join because we are too shit for him at the moment

I also believe we had enough time to spot the players we needed and to sign them in. There is nothing to justify the fact that we started the season with no midfield and forward line

devilish

That was a shit performance, really. But the likes of Rojo and Matic shouldn’t be anywhere near the team (albeit I understand that we need to play them in this competition) and the youngsters found it difficult. Greenwood’s decision making was especially off, but he’s learning. His goal was a mark of class, too.

I like Gomes, mind. In part because he actually takes care of the ball instead of acting like it’s a rocket. Our centre forward should probably take note of that.

We played like an inexperienced team that had never played together before. Which figures, in fairness.
Our worst players were Rashy 10 chances for a goal and Jones. Rojo was quite good

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Astana were pretty bad. After 15 minutes I thought we would win 4 or 5 to 0. I think that would have happened if Rashford scored one of his early chances. I want to see more of Gomes and Greenwood.

Bondi77

Good goal by Mason but apart from that we were toothless in attack and some of our first touches were Lukakulike.
I think the really good strikers come alive when they are in the box even when they are not having a good game but I think Rashford is not one of those players as he should have had a couple in the first half.
Let us all be honest and admit Astana are a crap side and we beat them one nil so yet again we simply do not score enough goals even against the rubbish teams.

meamth

Caf is fecking stressful.

Win a game comfortably, no danger, team dominated = BORING.
Draw = Sack ole
Lose = Sell Pogba.

That was an okay match, if I want to see a game, it better be United holding the ball 70% of the time so I can see our team play. I mean what do you guys expect against park the bus team and reckless forwards like Rashford?

The game is okay, it's not boring like some of you sad cnuts here.

Amerifan

Astana barely left their half. They seemed to be playing for a goalless draw away and hope for a win at home. Our forwards had two or three men around them at all times. Against that kind of game plan, I’m only disappointed we didn’t score more because our best opportunities were directly to the keeper. Aside from Greenwood creating his chance, and a good free kick from Fred, we never really challenged. Can’t wait for Martial to return.

Fully Fledged

We missed as many chances.

Rashford's finishing leaves much to be desired.
I haven’t given up hope on Rashford yet, he’s only 21. There are plenty of top strikers in the history of football that weren’t the finished article at 21. He won’t be playing up top when Martial is back and long term Greenwood is our main striker from years to come.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Astana barely left their half. They seemed to be playing for a goalless draw away and hope for a win at home. Our forwards had two or three men around them at all times. Against that kind of game plan, I’m only disappointed we didn’t score more because our best opportunities were directly to the keeper. Aside from Greenwood creating his chance, and a good free kick from Fred, we never really challenged. Can’t wait for Martial to return.
Tbf we created many good chances but we didn't finish them.

Rashford alone had 3 very good chances (1 was offside but wasn't called). 1 was from corner where ball fell to him and keeper closed the angle, saved it. 1 was very good cross from Rojo which Rashford fluffed it. 1 was again very good pass from Rojo, from deeper position, again Rashford hit straight to the keeper.

Then Greenwood chance from corner which just went wide, I think it hit the outside of the post. Greenwood had one more chance when Rashford flicked the ball.

Lingard shot hit the post and the follow up was very easy chance for Dalot.

All are very good chances with Greenwood's (from Rashfors's flick) being the tougher one.

Scoreline flattered the opponents. We should have scored few more goals, shame our finishing was so bad.

Madzik_92

Ole is not the right man for us. It's true that Rashford should score but have you seen how we play? Does not matter if the first team or the second team, our attacking still clueless. Can you tell me, how long have Ole been here and still does not have a proper drill team. Oh man.. we gonna fall hard soon.

lysglimt

Scout
It wasn't a good game of course - but we have a thin squad and we have some injuries and we got 3 Points while resting practically our entire first team. Now we can field a team with fresh legs against West Ham.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Draw = Sack ole
Lose = Sell Pogba.

That was an okay match, if I want to see a game, it better be United holding the ball 70% of the time so I can see our team play. I mean what do you guys expect against park the bus team and reckless forwards like Rashford?

Sack Fergie, Sell Giggs.

FrenchRed

Thought we played well for a very young team. We dominated possession, had a stack of chances and were pretty full of energy.

Rashford again didn't look great in front of goal... Put in a clinical striker and this, along with the last 3 games would have had a very different result. But we forget he is still young.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Rashford was just unlucky, get a grip guys.
Shooting straight at the keeper isn't bad luck it's bad finishing. What's happened to his left foot as well, has someone surgically attached Valencia's to him?

But yeah, lot of drama in here over a game we never looked like losing, hope to see the same team next time out as well. Surprised how well Rojo played as well.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Draw = Sack ole
Lose = Sell Pogba.

That's our new holy trinity

Eric7C

i could not possibly agree more. Yet he does some great things too, when he doesn’t think about it.
Yes, as young talented players tend to do. However as they mature, they ought to be coached to function as part of a team and it is here where Ole and the coaches don't seem to be having any impact.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Bit of a nothing game but it was good to see the kids in the pitch. Realistically, putting them all in together against this side wasn't the best situation for them to shine, but even so it will be good for them all.

Fast forward 3 years when Gomes and Greenwood are first teamers and getting criticised regularly from our redcafe fans like Rashford is now. I'll bet they can't wait.

Only saw a 10 minute highlight but from that we looked pretty exciting. Had the chances to win by at least four goals but composure and execution lacked again. Great goal by Greenwood though. Really hope he gets a spot against West Ham.

I'm not sure what to make of all the negativity surrounding the game on here. As said I only saw highlights but would it be different if we had scored a few of those really good chances? Rashford had a few and Fred had a good long effort denied by the post (iirc).

Lebowski

If that functioning midfield and attack couldn't score in a brothel then what? Its not like we didn't create chances.

Pretty sure these lot haven't played with each other.
They train together every day and have come up playing in the same 18/23/reserves teams haven't they?

Are you saying that you think we didn't have any issues creating chances yesterday and the main problem was Rashford's profligacy?

If so, I would strongly disagree.

Yes, Rashford missed some half chances in the first half. But he's a 21 year old striker in poor form. The larger problem is that we left ourselves with such an unbalanced squad he is required to have the consistency of Aguero for the team to function as we need to rely on him every single week.

I don't feel like we created anywhere near enough and we seemed totally devoid of ideas. Different personel but it's annoying that every time we play inferior opposition we really struggle to attack- Palace, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Brighton etc. The chances that fell to Rashford yesterday were less us carving them open, and mostly due to their centre half deciding to wander to the ball and ignore Rashford's run in a manner akin to a defender on the easiest difficulty of a videogame.

We had a chance every time we put a decent corner in since their organisation and basics were so poor. The worrying thing to me is that from open play, we looked toothless. A lot of posters here are calling this a comfortable win, but winning by a single goal in the last 20 minutes to spare your blushes against Astana is not comfortable as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rashford was just unlucky, get a grip guys.
Nah look at the Xg. People can reasonably expect a player in those positions to score at least once. Failure to do so means failing to match a reasonable expectation. Nobody is expecting him to become Ruud Van Nistlerooy, just to do what statistics expect any top level player getting into those areas should do. It's not unlucky when it keeps happening. I love the kid but he's lost his head for finishing and he needs to find it again.

Noc-Z

ffs
Embarrassing to only beat Astana 1-0. Obviously the youth aren't ready. So many people calling for them to be given a run in the first team...why?

But more concerning is that Rashford doesn't look ready. He never has tbh and I don't think he'll ever be good enough. He'll never be a striker and James has stepped up from the Championship and looks a better option on the left.

Before when young players were introduced into the team they had quality professional senior players to look up to but these young players dont really have that.

Zen86

Embarrassing to only beat Astana 1-0. Obviously the youth aren't ready. So many people calling for them to be given a run in the first team...why?

But more concerning is that Rashford doesn't look ready. He never has tbh and I don't think he'll ever be good enough. He'll never be a striker and James has stepped up from the Championship and looks a better option on the left.

Before when young players were introduced into the team they had quality professional senior players to look up to but these young players dont really have that.
That’s the problem really, no real experienced leaders in this team to guide the younger players. It’s not something you can easily buy either.

Robertd0803

Pretty much what I was expecting. Astana playing pretty up with everyone behind the ball was always going to mean they were going to be tough to break down although we should have scored more.

Delighted for Greenwood.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
How much is Rashford on? Are you going to tell me he is a better number 9 than Lukaku? A manager with our options and squad should find a way to use Lukaku, and if not, buy proper replacements. This is very off topic so this is my last post.
When Lukaku was here and even when he was actually playing well in his first season, all anyone on here did was slag him off constantly, and slag off Mourinho for playing him.

Now he's gone the fact he was sold is being used to slag off the manager and our other players.

The guy was giving interviews talking shite about United when he was still here. Posting private training stats on the internet. Whining to the media and his international manager about wanting to leave.

Rashford isn't the same type of player but he's good enough to expect him to be able to score against Astana. He had an awful game. We also had to contend with Rojo being in full on fruitcake mode. A lot of the players in that team last night should be looking a lot better than they did.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

I disagree it's embarrassing, European group games often have a habit of becoming real tests of patience. We got the win and some squad players got a run out so it was a successful night. I agree it wasn't a good watch though, and even if you take into account it being a bit of a patchwork team I think players we want to see firing, such as Chong and Rashford, will be coming off very disappointed at what they produced at home against poor opposition.

meamth

I disagree it's embarrassing, European group games often have a habit of becoming real tests of patience. We got the win and some squad players got a run out so it was a successful night. I agree it wasn't a good watch though, and even if you take into account it being a bit of a patchwork team I think players we want to see firing, such as Chong and Rashford, will be coming off very disappointed at what they produced at home against poor opposition.
It's nice isn't it? Sit back and just waiting for the goal to come, nothing to worry about, just get the win.

I have forgotten that feeling, it's nice to feel it again yesterday.

There is no need for high intensity games every time you play. Save it for better opposition.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just watched the highlights. You should have scored 4 or 5.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Just watched the highlights. You should have scored 4 or 5.
It was a pretty shite game...but then I'm not sure why anyone was expecting any different from United's reserves vs Astana.

Greenwood getting his first goal was a big plus and anyone expecting the likes of Gomes and Chong to come in and immediately look like first team players is deluding themselves.

Djemba-Djemba

I'd be surprised if we play a worse team at home this season than Astana last night.

I thought overall we were depressingly bad, as we have been for years but certainly since the PSG win. It's been about 5 or 6 months of awful, awful performances, with one or two exceptions.

Goal scoring is going to be such a massive issue this season.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's nice isn't it? Sit back and just waiting for the goal to come, nothing to worry about, just get the win.

I have forgotten that feeling, it's nice to feel it again yesterday.

There is no need for high intensity games every time you play. Save it for better opposition.
Of course it would have been preferable to trash Astana with glittering football rather than having the dog's breakfast we ended up making of it last night but I maintain the number one priority in European group games is results. How many times under Fergie did we labour against inferior opposition? The win and a run-out is fine, a goal for Greenwood is a bonus, and as you say we hope to see better more intense performances elsewhere.

Swearing Budgie

Rashford would benefit from a season on loan in the championship. Be good for his ego as well as his football.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 47% of 499 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 364 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Astana win
  • Draw