EL L Europa League Group L

FC Astana 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 28 November 2019

ash_86

Proud of the boys.

Laird is some player. Looks ready for PL. Loan will do him world of good.

RedDevilRoshi

Our experienced players out there such as Shaw & Lingard were brutal, in fact ARE brutal.

Chong has to score that chance. Tucks that away, it’s 2-0 and game over.

It’s many of these players’ first competitive game and I’m sure they will take a lot from that and learn from it.

Laird, Garner & Levitt were the standouts for me.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
I cant wait to win another match so we can all comment "maybe THIS is the turnaround weve all been waiting for" just like the last 6 years

Judas

Open to offers
Just a nothing game really. We don't really have a style of play in the first team, so you play a reserve team, you expect it to be a bit of a jumble as it was. Did think we played it far too safe at times.

Ridiculous to not play Gomes as the number 10.

But if Chong score the sitter we win the game and possibly go on to score a couple more? So that's a bit of a weird one isn't it.

SoCross

Was impressed with Laird the most and then Levitt and Garner.

Tuanzebe and Shaw looked like they lacked a bit of match sharpness. Gomes looked busy but needs to make better decisions.

Good effort lads, pity about the Chong miss, would have won us the game.

mu4c_20le

Decent showing for a bunch of kids with 0 first team experience and came straight from the reserves

Steve Bruce

I think the young lads showed a lot of ability, they will learn more from this loss than they would have winning 3-0.

Obviously I wanted to win, but I'm not going to hammer them over it. Chong miss was the pivotal point of the game. 2-0 and it's over.

I think theirs maybe 3 their that might make it, Laird, Garner & Greenwood.

mu4c_20le

Draw would've been fair, the goalkeepers wer the difference. Romero in goal and maybe we get a point

always_hoping

A unlucky loss that swung on that awful miss by Chong and beaten by OG. 20 shots on goal and 66% possession you certainly can't fault the effort from the United lads especially the 7 lads that made their debuts. Shaw looked very rusty in defence but he was close to assisting two goals. Lingard apart from his goal didn't show enough, Laird MOTM for me.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Result aside, it was a good outing for the youngsters.

some showed promise (Laird, Garner, Greenwood), others didn’t and it was what it was. It was good to see them going for it at least.

Onerealunited

A very good game. I don’t really care about the score. The most important thing today was that we gave game time to so many young players and rested everyone that might play in the league in the next game.

None of the players had an outstanding game. Even though a few players showed some good moments at some points during the game (like Greenwood, Laird, Garner) none of them used the opportunity to force more playing time with the more senior players.

Also, I think Chong has a good potential but I don’t see him make it at the club right now. If he is up for it then we should extend his contract and loan him out to a club in holland or Belgium for 1.5-2.5 years and then reevaluate his position once he is back.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Overall a good performance and I think we edged the game performance wise. The kids were unfazed by occasion at start and played first half quite well. If not for that bad miss from Chong it would have been a nice moral boosting win. After conceding equalizer, there was always danger of this inexperienced team conceding again soon.
Gomes and Laird did well. Shaw improved as game went on and could have had 2 assists. Lingard.. good goal but not a great performance. Rest all did OK.

In Rainbows

We got to rest the first team for the more important tie, and gave some much needed experience for the youngsters. Not much to complain about.

Game could have turned out different if Chong didn't miss the sitter. Thought Gomes, Levitt, and Garner were the best out of the youngsters.

Djemba-Djemba

DIdn't deserve to lose at all.

The two senior players in Shaw and Lingard were awful I think.

Not worth getting too upset about it. Taking a strong team to Kazakhstan would have been a bad idea.

siw2007

Game was a bit of a free hit but it was an annoying defeat. The result was a little unfortunate, they equalised after Chong's dreadful miss and they got quite an incredible own goal from what could have been a foul at the other end. On top of that, their keeper made 2 brilliant saves from Gomes free kick and Greenwood strike.

I wasn't impressed with Chong or Gomes. The former for me is clearly not good enough, while the latter is a very gifted young player, came across as neat and tidy but ineffective for long stints. On the other hand, was very pleased with Laird who was strong, dynamic and brave one the ball, will be a good option for rb alongside AWB.

jackal&hyde

I enjoed that. A few of the players have a future at the club, a few don't.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Average age of the team 22 years. Gives me pride.
Average age that beat Arsenal 8-2 was 23.1. With exception of a couple of players, these guys aren't anywhere up to standard. That's the truth really.

Roosney

Laird looked like a player ready for the Premier League. Composed and daring.

We need a compilation video or gif of Shaw's contribution in the last third. He was Özil level lazy, or ever worse.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Don’t really know how you can analyse that game and be angry about anything bar a couple of individual errors. Chong should have scored. Grant even should have the immediate Astana response. Bernard was just super unfortunate.

Overall play was decent and certainly the first team have not played as consistently well away from home.

First team now need to justify the rest with six points in the league in the next six days.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Is Greenwood injured or he has this lazy/languid/Martial style all along?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Chong cost us the match, so annoying it was harder to miss
He does the hard things well then.

Never seen anything other than a headless chicken of a player.
Who knows though, look at Traore at Wolves and now Gnabry. All players with a direct style and poor decision making but given time and hard work, good coaching ...

jackal&hyde

Average age that beat Arsenal 8-2 was 23.1. With exception of a couple of players, these guys aren't anywhere up to standard. That's the truth really.
Really? For many of them it was the first competitive game.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Considering we had a 36-year-old journeyman keeper playing, that’s quite a big difference in average age. Two years at this age is a massive difference.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The average age of outfield players was around 19 or something. Not bothered about the result as it was inconsequential. Ofcourse the dullards here will ind something to moan about.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Just proud to see that team.

Not many other clubs can support the idea that they're great at giving the youth a chance like we are.

Un4givableB

The ultimate no brainer move for a mediocre manager, play a team of 'kids' you win, it's a great move, you lose, fans hate criticizing kids.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Really? For many of them it was the first competitive game.
He has a short memory. That Arsenal game could have finished 8-5. We were very lax in midfield. We had Cleverly and Park. It was freakish and Arsenal were so bad. He also forgets that the same team got taken apart by Cjty 6-1. At home!!!
So much for such a great side eh?

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 130 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Astana win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Astana 0:2 Man Utd