EL L Europa League Group L

FC Astana 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 28 November 2019

Cantonagotmehere

This is such a dumb statistic. One huge difference is the fact that Grant and 2011 de Gea were like a 16 year difference. The youngest outfield players in that side were Welbeck (20.75), Cleverley (22), Phil Jones (19.5), Smalling (21.75), and Anderson (23.5). We can include subbed in Chicharito (23).

Compare that to
Greenwood (18)
Gomes (19.2)
Levitt (19)
Garner (18.75)
Laird (18.25)
Bernard (19)
Chong (19.9)
Tuanzebe (22)

BTW, that side also had Nani and Rooney. Nani who should have won PL player of the year the season prior, and Rooney a 30 goal a season player. Compare that to Lingard and Shaw just coming back from injury.
Thanks for laying that out. Some like to moan.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Average age of the team 22 years. Gives me pride.
Average age of the 10 players on the pitch beside the goalie was 20,2. We literally fielded a U-23 team. 6 players got their debuts today. The most in any game since world war 1

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The world is helpless, people expect wonders from just about everyone. There is pressure from age 6 till you retire. We need to accomplish this before age 12 and that before age 18 and so on. Climate change, apocalyptic predictions, fear mongering. Islamic people are evil, so are the Russians , more fear mongering. Performances must be better both at professional as at private level. Pressure, pressure. No house and kids at 30 what's wrong with me? I need more money, a better car, I need a bucket list, I can't relax, every minute just sitting is wasted time. I must travel, broaden my spectrum, I have to post on social media, brag about what I accomplished, compare and compare, get better, be ambitious, have goals. I have to party, have a social life, have tons of friends but but I can't combine it with my job and my hobbies...Help me, I'm going insane?
Kids of about 18/19 years of age need to wear the famous red shirt in front of 30000 people, perform, entertain...WIN. They must feel at home in a far away country, no time to adapt. We can't accept failure.

Mass suicides, depressed people, burn outs, protests, war, drugs, murder. Humankind at a boiling point. When will it be too much? Pressure builds up till it blows. Sometimes (read:often) I just want to be a dog/cat...
You need to make sure all your future posts are this good. No pressure...

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
No problem with playing the kids. I definitely wouldn't want anyone risked in subzero temperatures in Asia in a game we can afford to draw or lose.

Didn't really see much of the match after Chong's glaring miss at 1-0.

Thought Laird did well going forward, Garner looked the most mature player out there. There is no way he's not better than both Fred and Pereira.

Red Royal

All the negativity on here is so sad.
Our lads did fine, just tired a bit towards the end and werent clinical enough.

Remember, this was a game that even Phil Jones was not risked for.

With our injury crisis Ole couldnt take many more seniors ( an extra 2 would have been great)... but Villa on the weekend is so much more important!!

Chill guys.

Le Red

Brazilian commentator saying that Lingard hit a powerful shot "despite his young age" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chicharito_

Play Man United.
Initially scared of Man United.
Realise Man United aren't very good anymore.
Start playing without fear against Man United.
Beat Man United.

Okay maybe not as relevant in this game as we had the kids out but I feel this is how so many games have gone recently, especially away from home. There's the initial 20 minutes where we have loads of pointless possession, the opposition realise we aren't going to hurt them and we're not that good and they play freely and beat us.

Enigma_87

You know who
Wouldn't make much out of this game. The team sent today was poor, not really the way to introduce young players as someone else mentioned.

The group and opposition were really shite, we should win it with another draw at home to AZ.

Foxbatt

I thought the young boys played very well. Their movements off the ball was very good. Yes we missed a sitter and they scored on the break.
I know Lingard scored a goal but I was disappointed in him that when he should put Greenwood thru he most of the time tried to dribble thru.
I think Chong should go on loan where he can play without fear and get his confidence back. I also think if Ole had not played Lingard and let Gomes play inside and played the youth team we may have done better.
No criticism of Ole tonight. It was a good game. We were unlucky.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Loved watching this. We've got some incredible talents these days, and i am sure at least 4-5 of those who played today will end up being a big part of Manchester United in the future. Maybe even more than 4-5.

Laird is awesome. Unlike the fools that has negative shit to say about all of our youth getting first team football in a game nobody cares about far away in freakin.. i can't even spell the name.

Member 119614

Loved watching this. We've got some incredible talents these days, and i am sure at least 4-5 of those who played today will end up being a big part of Manchester United in the future. Maybe even more than 4-5.

Laird is awesome. Unlike the fools that has negative shit to say about all of our youth getting first team football in a game nobody cares about far away in freakin.. i can't even spell the name.
The problem is Laird will find play time hard to come by with Wan Bissaka at right back for years to come. This makes him one of the first ones who might feel the urge to look for greener pastures.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
The problem is Laird will find play time hard to come by with Wan Bissaka at right back for years to come. This makes him one of the first ones who might feel the urge to look for greener pastures.
Personally i can see Laird challenging Bissaka for that spot. From what i've seen from Laird, he has the potential. Bissaka has been doing well, but.. he has ways to go if you ask me.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He has a short memory. That Arsenal game could have finished 8-5. We were very lax in midfield. We had Cleverly and Park. It was freakish and Arsenal were so bad. He also forgets that the same team got taken apart by Cjty 6-1. At home!!!
So much for such a great side eh?
It was still a side that finished 2nd in the league and which would've been crowned champions if not for Aguero's last minute goal or our blunders towards the end of the season. Indeed, the fact there was plenty of discontent that year (when we went out of the CL at the group stages) in spite of the fact we were still competing for the title shows how standards have fallen dramatically when we're now attempting to excuse poor Europa League results as we languish in a mid-table league position with two league wins since mid-September.

Sterling Archer

Wouldn't make much out of this game. The team sent today was poor, not really the way to introduce young players as someone else mentioned.

The group and opposition were really shite, we should win it with another draw at home to AZ.
I really don't think a lot of people get this point. Said it in my roast thread but imagine being Bernard and losing the match on your debut off an own goal away to a team from Khazakstan.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
If Chong scores the easiest goal ever, we win.

I promised myself that it's a nothing game and there's no reason to be upset if we lose, but when we blow the game away by missing an open goal, and also scoring an own goal to give the opposition the lead, I just can't help myself. It's just so goddamn irritating.

Hope the he youngsters learn from this. Greenwood is class, unsure about Gomes and all these rumours about Chong joining Juventus wont upset me any more.

Laird and Levitt look class as well.
Do we? It's the hardest lead to hold in football, whatever the level.

Last edited:

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I think Levitt has huge potential. He controls things in midfield very well and has got a good zip on his passes. In fact both him and Garner did very well in midfield, controlling things and playing the ball between the lines. Lovely to see.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
[/QUOTE]
Bang average players, they should be beating this team with absolute ease. No wonder the U23’s got relegated. The future for this club isn’t looking good whatsoever... we’re a dinosaur club with an old stadium that’s falling apart. What the hell is going on, it’s absolutely pathetic that this shit is still going on since Fergie left, we need to move with modern times. Look at how City and Liverpool are doing things, their youth teams look fantastic from u18’s upwards, I simply cannot believe the state we are in and cannot see a turn around for at least another 10-15 years, everything needs scrapping and starting over, including this crumbling big old stadium.
Please tell me you're on a windy up and forgot the white text.

Bondi77

Nice debut by Laird and looks like he offers plenty in the attacking department and has presence as well.
I thought Garner did well and he keeps the ball ticking over nicely.
I think with Gomes that he has to be close to the penalty area for his tricks to come off as he looks a bit lost when slightly further away and he does give the ball away a lot.
It really was men against boys and it was only really Laird and Shaw that were not getting knocked off the ball in the fifty fifties.
Sad for Chong with missing the sitter but I really think he does not offer much anyway and I think he has got a bit of the Lukaku heavy touch sometimes when running with the ball.

pacifictheme

Which first team starter would you have risked injury on in a meaningless EL game like this?
Phil jones. :lol:

In all seriousness though i'd have liked to see one or two more senior players start, a cb and a cm, just to help the youngsters through the game. I do appreciate though due to squad depth and injuries it wouldn't have been very sensible.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Phil jones. :lol:

In all seriousness though i'd have liked to see one or two more senior players start, a cb and a cm, just to help the youngsters through the game. I do appreciate though due to squad depth and injuries it wouldn't have been very sensible.
Yeah ideally that would have been good but we have only 1 fit CM and it's risky to play him in this game.

Nickelodeon

Chong is really poor. Without counting the miss, he doesn't really do anything. Doesn't take on the players, doesn't cross, doesn't make any decent off the ball run. All he did was turn back and pass to Laird. What is the fuss about?

Judas

Open to offers
Chong is really poor. Without counting the miss, he doesn't really do anything. Doesn't take on the players, doesn't cross, doesn't make any decent off the ball run. All he did was turn back and pass to Laird. What is the fuss about?
He has looked better at a lower level to be fair. He does everything better there. But he's just looked absolutely terrified and out of his depth every time he's been asked to make the step up.

Some kids just aren't cut out for top level football, maybe its a mental thing, either way the fact people in the summer were pointing to him as a reason not to go for the likes of Sancho is hilarious, and just shows how much ignorant shite is spoken on here.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Dead rubber game, and you don't get too many of those in European competition, so it was a great opportunity to give young lads a taste of European football, also some much needed minutes for Shaw, Tuanzebe & Lingard.

The result is largely immaterial, it's a training exercise and a learning experience.

Multatuli

Supports
Az
Surprised they got back into it after losing their striker in the 82nd minute.
AZ played the worst game of the season, but Ferdy Druijf saved us. He plays most of his matches in the bottom of the 2nd league and he saved AZ against Royal Antwerp and now again. Remember the name Ferdy Druijf :). Looking forward to MU - AZ.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Laird, Garner, Levitt all impressed me, in that order

Greenwood didn't get a lot of the ball but that technique he showed for the shot which was well saved towards the end was another indication of his natural talent. He going to be a hell of a player.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 130 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Astana win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 19% Astana 0:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Astana 1:1 Man Utd