EL W Europa League Quarter-Final

Manchester United 1:0 FC Copenhagen

Post-match discussion

Mon, 10 August 2020

keithsingleton

Was on the edge of my seat most of the nite. Not the greatest of performances but job done I suppose. Always felt Ole had no plan b and just had a sneaky feeling they were going to pinch a goal on the counter then go to penalties.

After 60 mins we got very leggy once again. I kid you not injuries in the premier league going to be massive in the new season after everyone gone through unprecedented times.

Jonno

On reflection, last night was a tear-your-hair-out stuff.

Having watched peaceful World Snooker all week, I forgot how angry I get at football haha.

We battered them. They didn't have enough quality. They had some good touches, and one or two good moments, but I don't remember Romero having a save to make. Their keeper smashed the Europa League saves-in-a-match record and we still beat them. Mason smashed the inside of the post, Bruno the same, one or two penalty appeals just got dismissed, we were very unlucky to not win in 90 mins, so for that reason I'm delighted we stayed strong and overwhelmed them to victory.

Oh and feck the Bruno haters. We've got the best penalty taker in world football. Gone are the days of having 5 penalty takers that all miss. Bruno has ice running through his veins. We're lucky to have him.

United of last season lose that game 0-1

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Wtf was our keeper kit by the way? fecking Leeds colours

sugar_kane

I’m amazed at some of the comments here. Were people even watching the game? We were very slow to get going, but I thought we played well for three quarters of the game and we made a load of chances which, if our strikers had gone and inch to the left or right, or shot a bit sooner, we’d have converted.

I was far less happy with the performance against Palace the other week, and we won that 2-0.

My only real concerns are with Bruno’s lack of stamina and I thought Greenwood and Rashford should have played wider.
Same, I really enjoyed it.

We were a bit ropey at points in the first half but still we looked like we had way more energy and purpose than the last few PL games.

The second half we looked really dangerous and fluid at points and it made me excited for next season.

There are just a lot of brats, trolls and misers on this forum.

Slysi17

Is Bruno Fernandes injured? Looked like it at the end. I pray he doesn't get injured as that well truly breaks the Europa league dream.

Adcuth

We really need another LB option for when Shaw is out because that left flank was a black hole without any supporting runs for the LW
Brandon was making runs, the issue was Rashford was playing wide that when Williams went passed him, he stayed there. He should be making moves towards the box. Both him and mason played too wide

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought the overall performance was fine, lots of chances created. Martial looked like he just wanted to walk it in.
Some good individual performances, Williams and Pogba, although he's playing too deep, stood out for me.
Williams? Eh? He did nothing going forward & their right winger had him on toast all game.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Was on the edge of my seat most of the nite. Not the greatest of performances but job done I suppose. Always felt Ole had no plan b and just had a sneaky feeling they were going to pinch a goal on the counter then go to penalties.

After 60 mins we got very leggy once again. I kid you not injuries in the premier league going to be massive in the new season after everyone gone through unprecedented times.
Think the heat might have contributed to them getting leggy. It was very like a pre-season in the heat of the US or China and usually making eleven subs.

Pavl3n

Need some perspective on the game tonight.

We were poor in the first half. Williams got turned inside out a few times and Rashford was particularly off the boil, but

- two goals disallowed;
- denied a clear penalty;

- hit the woodwork 3/4 times;
- 14 shots on target;
- their keeper made at least 3 wonder saves.

On another night we’d have scored 6. We definitely made hard work of it, but fine margins between a 1-0 and us running away with it.
Not that I'm upset with the team's performance, actually I think we played well against a side that hasn't let in more than a goal through the competition. But the the goals were rightfuly disallowed. And which incident are you refering to with regards being denied a penalty? I don't recall any.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Not that I'm upset with the team's performance, actually I think we played well against a side that hasn't let in more than a goal through the competition. But the the goals were rightfuly disallowed. And which incident are you refering to with regards being denied a penalty? I don't recall any.
Didn't we get a penalty but it was over-ruled because Harry Maguire was offside in the buildup?

keithsingleton

Think the heat might have contributed to them getting leggy. It was very like a pre-season in the heat of the US or China and usually making eleven subs.
Oh that I have no doubt, took that into consideration too. Our last few games we've shown similar signs but not as early as the 60th min which like you say more than likely down to the heat factor.

I'm really worried about the new season though and hope my thoughts are wrong about being record injuries. With our bench squad being miles apart with the noisy neighbors it is of concern, to me anyway.

Pavl3n

Didn't we get a penalty but it was over-ruled because Harry Maguire was offside in the buildup?
Well Harry was offside, so we don't have any claim to it, do we. Even the team went back to formation instead of clustering around the penalty area. I thought he's reffering to an incident that went unnoticed.
I think the ref was alright - not great, not terrible. Other refs might not have given us a pen, Martial fell on the ground as soon as he felt the defender's arm - a touch too easy for my liking.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Started slowly but gradually played better as the game went on in very difficult conditions. Hot and humid last night, going for a walk let alone playing 120 minutes of football was difficult.

Enjoyable game though even if we weren't at our best and could have been any score with a bit of luck and a magnificent performance by their keeper. Had a couple of scares but Romero didn't have a lot to do.

Mata did well when he came on and caused problems and Martial MoM.

Rashford not anywhere near his best but our attacking play fell off a cliff in the last 10 minutes when the dreaded no.14 replaced him.

Red00012

Quarter final of the EL and you’ve an opposition player congratulating Ole walking off the field on what’s he done at the club :lol:

Maticmaker

We spurned some good chances, their keeper had a great game, they couldn't finish, Martial looked 'hot', Matic should have played the first hour instead of the last, hit the post umpteen times, all VAR decisions were correct, we came out the other end as semi-finalists....job done!

Pavl3n

Quarter final of the EL and you’ve an opposition player congratulating Ole walking off the field on what’s he done at the club :lol:
He must be a United fan, who knows when else he'll get the chance to express his feelings ;)

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Pogba. This is the Pogba I like to watch. His feints, penetrating passes and first touches were wonderful. I'm worried about his lack of goal threat, though. I think a couple of years back his shots usually tested keepers and he scored his share. Now, his shots seem weak, without conviction, and are easy saves. I hope he practices this part of his game.

Rashford and Bruno. Unfortunately they are the weak links in our attack right now. I'm really disappointed with Rashford since the restart. They need to up their level if we want to win this cup.

Competition for places. When Ighalo came here and had some good appearances it was a shot in the arm to Martial. Now Martial looks like a world-class striker. We need some competition for Rashford and AWB so they might up their game. Varela from Copenhagen looks like a nifty right back. He is 27 and probably not too expensive.

Rotation. I like Ole's rotation with Fred and Matic. I'm betting the plan is for Matic to start next and Fred come in around 65'. This is a good plan but the overtime didn't help. The problem will be Bruno and Pogba if we make the final as they will be leggy.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
What was Lindelof yelling at Williams about? Maybe Williams could have done more to stop the pass but he definitely didn't want to overplay as that would give the inside.

Theo88

Odd thing to say. Is he a Red?
He is one of those nice characters to have in your team. Used to play in Greece kind of given 120% of what he has every game. Not a very good player but one to always do his best

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My friend said the same thing about Williams this morning when we were talking about the game. I obviously need to get my glasses prescription changed.
I guess we all see different things when we watch a game. But yeah, to me Williams looked very shaky last night. He was left for dead by their winger so many times that I remembered his name - Falk.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No he didn’t, that is such a myth, did you even watch him play? His passing between the lines was top class and he utilised that’s an awful lot.

Don’t forget he was basically a one man midfielder at times in his career as we had some absolute dross around him at times (par Scholes when he had the legs and pre Illness fletcher).
Carrick passing accuracy was top class, but he had a tendency to overpower passes and in consequence, they were difficult to control. His overall ability and impact is vastly overrated, similar to Pogba now.

Anyway, I was shocked when I saw Carrick had apperead on international stage only 34 times, which is less than Gareth Bary (53) but also Owen Hargreaves (42). Makes it hard to believe he was that highly rated anywhere outside United.

RashyForPM

Pogba. This is the Pogba I like to watch. His feints, penetrating passes and first touches were wonderful. I'm worried about his lack of goal threat, though. I think a couple of years back his shots usually tested keepers and he scored his share. Now, his shots seem weak, without conviction, and are easy saves. I hope he practices this part of his game.

Rashford and Bruno. Unfortunately they are the weak links in our attack right now. I'm really disappointed with Rashford since the restart. They need to up their level if we want to win this cup.

Competition for places. When Ighalo came here and had some good appearances it was a shot in the arm to Martial. Now Martial looks like a world-class striker. We need some competition for Rashford and AWB so they might up their game. Varela from Copenhagen looks like a nifty right back. He is 27 and probably not too expensive.

Rotation. I like Ole's rotation with Fred and Matic. I'm betting the plan is for Matic to start next and Fred come in around 65'. This is a good plan but the overtime didn't help. The problem will be Bruno and Pogba if we make the final as they will be leggy.
Bruno a weak link? Wtf?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Carrick passing accuracy was top class, but he had a tendency to overpower passes and in consequence, they were difficult to control. His overall ability and impact is vastly overrated, similar to Pogba now.

Anyway, I was shocked when I saw Carrick had apperead on international stage only 34 times, which is less than Gareth Bary (53) but also Owen Hargreaves (42). Makes it hard to believe he was that highly rated anywhere outside United.
I disagree, but happy to agree to disagree.

Denis79

We should not have to field our absolute best team to win a game like this. We dominated them which should be the absolute minimum considering the first eleven. It's time we get a proper system going soon and not always relying on player ability. Ole has done a great job bringing confidence back to many of our players, giving them space to express themselves. But we need consistency and a football tactics that don't rely so much on player ability, so we can rotate the squad and still get results.

Red00012

I don’t know where to start pal

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
That clip of the Copenhagen player talking to Solskjaer about Bruno Fernandes is sweet.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Copenhagen win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 3:0 FC Copenhagen
  • 28% Man Utd 2:0 FC Copenhagen