PL W FA Premier League

Fulham 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 20 January 2021

hubbuh

Fred gets that penalty and Maguire bags that free header and it's a comfortable win. If we can just be more ruthless from the off we won't have to endure those ridiculous nail-biting climaxes that'll eventually bite us on the arse.

RedDevil@84

Other clubs have had full blown Covid outbreaks and you’re complaining about us not having access to training facilities.

It sounds like we handled it well. We won the match. It’s honestly not worth trying to bash the club.

Just support the team. It’s actually far easier than inventing reasons not to.
Whoa. Get off the "true supporter" high horse will ya. I was just surprised that we didn't plan things much before. No one is bashing the club.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Not vintage but considering the conditions (Wind and very wet) was understandable. Do feel abit more directness was needed given these conditions though so dont understand why Rashford wasn't brought on earlier. Really starting to lose patience with Martial though he offered so little. Mason wasnt on it either but he's much younger and still finding himself in only his second full season in the first team.
So strange atm though, seems like the team isnt all the cohesive as a unit but everyfew matches we have a different player (ie. Rashford, Bailey, Pogba) step up and be counted and get us over the line which is a plus.
MOTM toss up between Shaw and Cavani for me.
I can see the players try to execute their patterns of play and build up with some deliberation (i.e. they're not all playing their own game), but the fact that some of our attacking players are off form made for a disjointed game. For example, Martial and Shaw weren't in sync with each other. Whenever Shaw was expecting Martial to run, he'd wait for a short pass instead, and Shaw would often have to tell him to be in position for a through pass. Greenwood, who also struggled for form, had to play a more conventional right wing role in order to keep the pitch stretched, and that made him not as effective; it also meant that we barely had any overlaps as Bruno played more like a second striker than an attacking midfielder linking up play on the right flank.

Defensively, Fulham's false 9 caused our back line lots of problems, but they sorted themselves out soon after the first goal. Just after losing the ball, we'd press high up with our attack, midfield, and full backs. That'd force Fulham to play the ball out of play or long (good pressing) to Cavaleiro (marked by Bailly). If they beat our press, our defence did a good job of keeping them outside and retaining their overall shape. If they retained possession, we'd fall back into shape and give up the space between the midfield and defence. If anyone dropped into that space, we'd let them have the ball and contain them by retaining our shape, thus slowing them down and allowing our midfielders to drop back. To me, it made sense that our defence contained them for the most part given that they've been in form (Wan-Bissaka is an exception, but he grew into the game).

So far, the defence and midfield have good chemistry among themselves. The fact that our front line and wide players are mostly off form means that we're struggling to stretch the opposition as well as finish off chances. To be fair, every other team has also struggled with this, which is why United have the second-highest number of goals scored in the Premier League (1 behind Liverpool at 37). The fact that we keep finding ways to compete and win games is a big plus compared to the past few seasons.

The Real Treble 99

Win is win but another squeaky bum performance. Could’ve soo easily dropped points at the end. But there is SOMETHING there that just keeps us going & its not LUCK. Lack of killing off games is key & the reason for keeping us all on edge. They just need to be ruthless, Otherwise besides the AWB horror show at the start I think we did ok but possibly could’ve done much better.

croadyman

Win is win but another squeaky bum performance. Could’ve soo easily dropped points at the end. But there is SOMETHING there that just keeps us going & its not LUCK. Lack of killing off games is key & the reason for keeping us all on edge. They just need to be ruthless, Otherwise besides the AWB horror show at the start I think we did ok but possibly could’ve done much better.
Good that we have shown an ability to close out tight games admittedly with a huge stroke of luck last night, however the sooner we can win a game by a couple of goals again the better off we will all feel

redmanx

Fred gets that penalty and Maguire bags that free header and it's a comfortable win. If we can just be more ruthless from the off we won't have to endure those ridiculous nail-biting climaxes that'll eventually bite us on the arse.
The referee gave us nothing, probably due to Klopps recent whining about how refs favour us.

Yorke to Cole

Klopp's comments have been suggested by our local press.

However, we came through one of the hardest away grounds at present. I think our defending towards the climax of the match is improving. I, like many would like to see us be more clinical and get the 3rd and fourth goals in these types of matches.

Poges and Fernandes are capable of producing quality at any given moment. But more importantly, we are starting to find solutions to deeper lying defences. It is those 2 players that the opposition are finding difficult to stop with the movement of our play makers. Hopefully, their former can continue?

With the exception of Cavani, we need to see Rashford, Martial and Greenwood starting to excel when given the opportunity.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 58% of 353 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 319 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw