EL W Europa League Quarter-Final 2nd Leg

Manchester United 2:0 Granada

Post-match discussion

Thu, 15 April 2021

Bertie Wooster

Granada over the two legs just show a really bad image for la liga.
TBF, Stoke and Burnley have both qualified for Europe in the last decade. Their style of play is hardly reflective of the technical quality in the PL.
Most of the top leagues have some smaller teams who overachieve for a while, usually with an ugly, pragmatic style. I don't think it reflects bad on La Liga - just on Granada and their managers tactics.

MrBest

Not bothered about the performance, we managed that game well and professionally and that is all we need to do at the later stages. I like the energy Granada have, thank god they are awful at finishing.

Take outs from this, Axel and DVB should play more.

Acole9

Outstanding
Guys, what proportion of games do you all seem to come away from having definitely seen a biased/agenda driven/incompetent referee? Because there comes a point where they only consistent factor in this seemingly endless list of bad decision making is you.
I know what you mean and normally I'm rolling my eyes but two or three of the refs we've had in the Europa League have been genuinely awful.

city-puma

TBF, Stoke and Burnley have both qualified for Europe in the last decade. Their style of play is hardly reflective of the technical quality in the PL.
Most of the top leagues have some smaller teams who overachieve for a while, usually with an ugly, pragmatic style. I don't think it reflects bad on La Liga - just on Granada and their managers tactics.
Well, it’s not about quality. I can’t tolerate their dirty plays and acting. They did too much, too often and apparently they are master of it. It really ruins the game.

Bertie Wooster

Well, it’s not about quality. I can’t tolerate their dirty plays and acting. They did too much, too often and apparently they are master of it. It really ruins the game.
Oh, absolutely, they're horrible to watch. Just like any team managed by Pulis are horrible.

I was just saying one team with a horrible style doesn't reflect bad on the whole league - it just reflects bad on that individual team and, usually, the manager who is adopting the ugly style / tactics.

always_hoping

Another busy schedule ahead.

Sunday April 25th - Leeds (A)
Thursday April 29th - Roma (H)
Sunday May 2nd - Liverpool (H)
Thursday May 6th Roma (A)
Sunday May 9th Aston Villa (A)

Neymar

Not a peasant
Supports
Neymar & Messi
I'm a bit torn. It feels good to win these and go through but otoh it's not exactly the most exciting stuff to look forward to the Europa League. Problem is when we make it back to the CL how far can we even go before being knocked out. Quarter finals?

Good performance and on to the next round.

city-puma

Oh, absolutely, they're horrible to watch. Just like any team managed by Pulis are horrible.

I was just saying one team with a horrible style doesn't reflect bad on the whole league - it just reflects bad on that individual team and, usually, the manager who is adopting the ugly style / tactics.
I agree. But a lot of people probably will get an impression and then develop into a bias. That’s how it normally ends up with.

Don't Kill Bill

Watching VDB get 45 minutes today reminded me just how good he is, he really has been unlucky with game time this season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I guess it’s good we can stroll to such a comfortable win with well over half the team playing like shit. Pogba, Cavani, AWB, VDB, Telles and Tuanzebe were all ok. Absolute shambles from everyone else. Special mention to the ref, who made some memorably terrible decisions.

Don't Kill Bill

That is actually the only thing I can enjoy from watching this game.
Ball retention when its tight, lovely first touch, weighted well time passing and getting in space for a team mate. Its all top quality. we have to find a way to get him on the pitch more often,

Withnail

Guys, what proportion of games do you all seem to come away from having definitely seen a biased/agenda driven/incompetent referee? Because there comes a point where they only consistent factor in this seemingly endless list of bad decision making is you.
Anyone claiming bias and agenda in refs is obviously over reacting. However, the refs in the Europa have been shockingly bad.

They aren't being helped either though. The amount of players throwing themselves to the floor and screaming when literally nothing happened is off the charts at the moment. The authorities need to step on and start handing out retrospective bans or it'll only get worse.

Withnail

Not really sure why you're here, but you mustn't have watched the game, especially the parts where he booked Pogba for being fouled, or the part where Diallo got kicked over while through on goal.
We only watched it under duress. There's no chance an Ipswich fan watched that shit is there?

city-puma

Ball retention when its tight, lovely first touch, weighted well time passing and getting in space for a team mate. Its all top quality. we have to find a way to get him on the pitch more often,
I think a dynamic three man midfield can bring the best out of him.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Ironically games like this make me think we are a very good side. Brushing aside decent teams like that whilst never getting out of second gear in the tie. So much control even when they had a couple of chances.
I mean we are a very good side, as much as the general sentiment around here would have you think otherwise

Valencia Shin Crosses

What's his actual position though? One thing I've noticed is that on our team he is really slow.
Honestly? He’s a poor mans Muller. Quality around the box and excellent at spacing and intelligent runs and touches. Good technically, but he’s better utilized off the striker than as a true midfielder. Problem is that position doesn’t really exist with how our team is constructed.

Foxbatt

So let me get this right then the winners of that trophy were always going to play the European Cup winners instead of the UEFA Cup ones
They had three tournaments then. European Cup ( now CL) European Cup Winners Cup(winners of the national FA Cups) and UEFA Cup then the top two teams in the league depending on the country. They combined the Cup Winners Cup and the UEFA Cup to make the Europa League.

Russell_eire

Cheers for clearing that up and we have lost our last two of these finals ironically both to UEFA Cup winners as well
Lazio won the the last ever Cup Winners' Cup the year (1999) they beat United in the Super Cup.

Traditionally, the Cup Winners Cup was more highly regarded than the UEFA Cup, but that changed in the second half of the 90s.

Ludens the Red

Must be tough for you guys at the moment. Mid table mediocrity in league one (with some fat dinosaur scouser in charge) whilst Norwich are smashing up the Championship playing sexy football for a second time in three years. (Ps, gotta love Daniel Farke and his large portion of German sausage) can’t wait for his interviews on Motd again.

If coming on here to wind up United fans makes you feel better then so be it.
Carry on :p

city-puma

Must be tough for you guys at the moment. Mid table mediocrity in league one (with some fat dinosaur scouser in charge) whilst Norwich are smashing up the Championship playing sexy football for a second time in three years. (Ps, gotta love Daniel Farke and his large portion of German sausage) can’t wait for his interviews on Motd again.

Legend, you are!;)

cyril C

Can we please never play in EL?
Putting aside money, prestige and so on, Europa does has its merit. Players like Amad, James, VDB, Tuanzebe, if team fully fit, will never get any European games apart from FA. Take VDB as example, although a decent performance in 2nd half, I doubt he will start in semi-final when Bruno and Pogba are available. So the group games are good for the kids and players knocking at the door.

Number32

De Gea is trying to be a sweeper keeper now, that's how he got a clean sheet. Happy for him.

Traditionally, the Cup Winners Cup was more highly regarded than the UEFA Cup, but that changed in the second half of the 90s.
Most of the real cup winners already qualified for Champions League, so some lucky minnows in the cup final got qualified to this competition.

rotherham_red

Job done against a cynical set of cnuts.

Maguire, Shaw, McTominay, Rashford all getting a complete rest and Pogba, Greenwood, Cavani and Bruno all not being completely flogged after a tough game v Spurs on Sunday.

Hopefully we'll have the full complement of players available for the weekend, and we can go full strength v Roma.

Also thought Axel had a very solid game.

Shimo

2 games in a row with really crap decisions going against us. Not meaning to disrespect Roma but, that could be our biggest challenge in the semis, poor refereeing.

Granada were instigators in both games and still the refs seemed to let them get away with it, almost like they were trying to level the playing field.

As for the game, got killed off early and from there mostly a borefest and that's just the way I liked it. Job done and get to the semi without fuss.

lysglimt

Scout
We have played 2 Spanish teams and beaten both 4-0 on aggregate - that says it all.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Did well in the tie, also very weird games. Games vs Burnely looked like free flowing game compared to Granada.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That yellow card on Pogba is one of the most ridicolous decisions i've ever seen.

The refs in the prem are bad, but its even worse in Europe
It was incredibly bad and the fact that it has competition for worst decision of the game (non foul on Amad / them getting a foul for ???? when Telles hit the free kick / the lino giving them a throw in when Axel clearly kicked out it all of 5 yards in front of him) says something about the standard of officiating yesterday

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

Ha ha, fair point! I won’t lie, being an Ipswich fan has probably only been enjoyable from 1978-1981 and 1999-. 2001. Have a bit of sympathy. Also that RVN dive & penalty in your 1-0 win at Portman Road all but relegated us in 2002. Now THAT was a bent, incompetent Utd fan of a referee! Shit, maybe that’s why I don’t like you.

Maticmaker

Cavani showed his class throughout, but I thought David De Gea pulled off a couple of top class saves which saved our potential embarrassment, and I made him MOTM. Also despite his run-in with the ref and the harsh decisions that put him in jeopardy, I thought Pogba had a good half and was merely 'getting his retaliation in first'... Mike Summerbee at City made a career out of exactly that in the sixties!

Roma in the semi, surely we can't lose another one?

lex talionis

It was a job done performance over a side which we had already sentenced to defeat before the first whistle, little more. Job done, well done.

But I am concerned with the poor state of officiating and the ridiculous amount of shithousery we’re seeing on a regular basis. We need to figure out a procedure of some kind to impose a retrospective action on players like Son and some of these scumbags we saw last night.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 160 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Granada win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Man Utd 2:0 Granada
  • 15% Man Utd 3:0 Granada