FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Huddersfield Town 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 February 2018

MrBest

Pogba, Lingard, Martial, Jones and Valencia.
Lingard martial still played. Rested means no minutes. Jones and Tony hardly game changers. You could say we rested Sanchez cause he only played 60 mins.

siw2007

Not the most exciting game I've watched but pleased that we were clinical in front of goal. We defended really well for long periods but am frustrated that we couldn't control possession more, not until we went 2 up anyway.

Great to see Bailly back, hope he gets back in the first 11 as I think he is a great player on form. Really unlucky with the VAR call, Mata's knee might have been offside but it was so close and if I remember the rules correctly, they state that the advantage should be given to the attacker. I don't think VAR was supposed to support those calls, only to correct bad decisions made by the referee or incidents that are missed. Fortunately it didn't have an effect anyway.

AlwaysRed66

I think the worst thing to happen today was us scoring so early. It gave Mourinho an excuse then to sit back against the mighty Huddersfield, who had numerous chances. Thankfully our defence was good today. Carrick at least brings some stability to the midfield, but he can only be used sparingly. That said, at least we are through.

cyril C

Not really impressed with counter-attack except for 2 instances. 433 doesn't work with these 3 MF players unless their positioning is fine tuned. I thought Herrera would be a better choice than Matic.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pretty awful first half, second half terrific though. Overall Lukaku the easy motm (though should have had a hat trick if he kept up the effort and movement at the end, specifically that Martial cross where he waited instead of going in the box, plus Lingards pass that should've reached lukaku). Sanchez wasn't involved too much at the start but got more into it, showed a great understanding with Mata, played some really nice passes especially the assist which was perfect. Mata was terrific throughout and I hope he starts vs Sevilla.

Midfield... Carrick was good, Mctominay meh, matic meh. Need Pogba back to his best and Herrera there too for his energy.

Defence was solid. Lindelof has improved a lot compared to the first few months, that's for sure. Great to see Bailly back too.

soad

That was the most eco-played game we've played for a long time. If Jose had allowed, we would have scored at least 5 goals this game.
Confident United, good preparation for Sevilla.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The result was all that mattered today, and we got it in the end with some comfort. As much pressure as Huddersfield applied to us, our defence remained resolute and composed.

Having said that, Huddersfield are quite a poor side. They may have shown aggression and fight, but their attacks are as blunt as a hammer. Part of the reason we didn't concede was because their attacking players were so poor on the ball. Van La Parra was useless, Ince was invisible, and Quaner was ineffective. Their biggest threat going forward was Danny Williams who showed some great footwork and aggression going forward.

With the number of bodies we piled at the back, Huddersfield were always going to struggle scoring against us. Still, we should have taken more control of the midfield and only did so when we were 2-0 up. Matic struggled in a role that required more mobility, and Carrick himself was barely involved in building up attacks. Our counters, at least, were very effective, and this is a good sign for us if we are to forge some identity in our football. Lukaku looked suited for this match, and whilst he was sloppy and undisciplined, Sanchez played some nice passes and even got an assist in the end. Mata was also quite sloppy, but his movement always caused Huddersfield problems.

On to the next match, now. Let's see how we fare against an aggressive, proactive side in Sevilla.

GM K

Great result. Loved our counter attacking play that led to the two goals. Lukaku was in beast mode. Sanchez was brilliant and it looked like he had two more gears in him. Shaw was good but not convinced he's better than Young at LB. He can certainly grow into the role with game time. Was Carrick as good as Scott at his age? That kid looks like he will become great in a Carrick way - simple, smart and committed.

But I do worry about how poor we seem to be at retaining possession of the ball especially when pressed. I counted at least 25 unforced/partially forced errors in the first half that led to giving the ball away. It was painful to watch.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Lingard martial still played. Rested means no minutes. Jones and Tony hardly game changers. You could say we rested Sanchez cause he only played 60 mins.
They didn't start the match, that's enough to constitute being rested, you can be as pedantic as you like, we were 2-0 up when they came on and barely had to run.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Matic wasn't very good. Neither was McTom.

Anyone catch Matic and Martial bickering near the end of the game. There was a play where Matic won the ball, started a counter...then passed the ball to Lingard who was offsides instead of playing the ball wide to Anthony.

Martial didn't like it.

Austria-Red

Good result, painful to watch. Remind me, which team has had millions spent on it and has supposed one the best managers in world?
The team that won. Judging by the starting formation this game played out exactly as envisaged by Jose.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Not the most dominant win, but mature and clinical.

Smalling and Lukaku MotM, but every player did well. McTominay did very well, which was great to see.

tony54

Where did the hole in the midfield go? Nice to see the team playing as a team.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Good result but I'm just going to touch on something that bothers me greatly. Why are our energy levels seemingly so low? The teams we face always seem to run more and run with a purpose. We can't always start slow and expect the oppo to run out of steam.
Seems to be an issue for us for a while now, we always seem to have a poor first half, especially our starts to games.

I just wish Mourinho would have the players press from the front, we have the players for it. We just drop deep when the other teams get the ball.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
First half was awful - played way too deep - Shaw had no support on his side. For at least the first 40 minutes I was convinced no-one had ever taught Lindelof to defend or position himself. Improved a bit in the second half.

Second half was better , pushed higher up the pitch. Lukaku easily MoM, good performance all round, Young, Lindelof and McTominay were the poorest and Alexis didn't have the greatest of games apart from his pass to Lukaku. Martial quite good as sub, Lingard continues in pre end- November mode. Smalling and Matic did quite well.

Edit: you can stick VAR where the sun don't shine.
Have lived without it all these years, decisions right or wrong, don't care but disrupts the game, as long as referees make honest mistakes not worried, goal line technology is fine but that is instant.

Last edited:

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Not the most dominant win, but mature and clinical.

Smalling and Lukaku MotM, but every player did well. McTominay did very well, which was great to see.
What did McTom do well? I counted three times in the game where he didn't pass the ball backwards or pass to the other team.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Good result but I'm just going to touch on something that bothers me greatly. Why are our energy levels seemingly so low? The teams we face always seem to run more and run with a purpose. We can't always start slow and expect the oppo to run out of steam.
You can’t really blame energy levels because we finished so strongly, while they were out on their feet. Dreadful start, though. All over the place in the opening spell.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Overall I was happy with that and second half was fun to watch. It was a tricky tie away from home and always going to be tricky but thought we looked really slick in the second half.

I'd like to see us stick with this system and pick the same side again and force guys like Pogba etc to fight their way back into the lineup but knowing full well it's probably better set up for him to come into.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Good result but we only had 5 shots all game. It certainly wasn't a good performance attacking wise.

Giggs86

They were pretty much all over us - smalling was excellent, lukaku was clinical.

Cant stand wagner, where was that display against liverpool a couple weeks ago
He rolled over for his idol and inspiration Klopp.

Happy with the result, glad Lukaku is scoring again pity he couldn't get a hattrick.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

What did McTom do well? I counted three times in the game where he didn't pass the ball backwards or pass to the other team.
He took on the physical battle with the Huddersfield players, which was necessary in a game like today. Of course i view him him in a different light than to an experienced player, as he is still only in the start of his pro career with us. But he did well.

ti vu

I think the worst thing to happen today was us scoring so early. It gave Mourinho an excuse then to sit back against the mighty Huddersfield, who had numerous chances. Thankfully our defence was good today. Carrick at least brings some stability to the midfield, but he can only be used sparingly. That said, at least we are through.
A season is not one game. We're away to Sevilla in few days, then have Chelsea next weekend

I can wait for thrilling game for another occasion. Just grind out result and advance is alright at the moment.

tony54

I thought Mctom did quite well, he covered a lot of ground and stopped them building up play from the midfield.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I think it's fair to say that some aspects of the game will leave status quo in terms of debates on this forum.

It's a good win, hold them pretty easily when they got tired of pressing us all over the pitch. First 30 minutes were pretty dire, though, and we should learn to cope with a pressure a bit better. But, all together, mixed team, not so easy away match, we have done the job.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
A lot of positive stuff in this game; more than it meets the eye.

First the negatives:
  1. Looked shaky and lacking confidence in the first half. There seems to be a fragility and lack of confidence and composure for some stretches of the game.
  2. Should've scored more in the second half. Still wasteful with promising chances.
  3. Within 2 minutes of coming on, Martial complaining because Matic passed to Lingard instead of to him. Jesus Christ, Martial! STFU and play! So sick and tired of this spoiled children attitude that brings down team morale.

Positives:
  1. I think this game shows exactly how Mourihno envisions this team - athletic and physically imposing midfield and back line, with creative and pacey front line that can hit opponents on counterattack. The problem has been the inability to consistently break through the first wave of pressure and transition into counterattack, and Sanchez has been a great addition to improve this. If would be a great (great!!!) shame if Pogba for whatever reason (whether inability or refusal) didn't fit into this setup because he is exactly the kind of midfielder that has the ability to provide athleticism in the defensive phase and transition from defense to attack with his dribbling and passing skills.
  2. Lukaku. The man is built for counterattack. He lacks the finesse in tight spaces, but get him on the counterattack and he is devastating. Him and Sanchez seem to have a good understanding and both work hard.
  3. Sanchez - fantastic player, exactly what the team was lacking, and the youngsters should learn from him.
  4. Mata - Lacks athleticism, but more than makes up for it with intelligence and technique.
  5. Defense played well throughout.
  6. Managed the game really well in the second half, alternated between holding the ball and counterattacking.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
That Jake whatever his name is is a bit of a tit

ti vu

Why does it take us so long to get going?

We can't fanny about like that in Europe, we need to be on it from the start.
We ain't going full throttle for this game, and we're not fully confident with so much new players that barely start games together in a team. It's clear our game plan try to soak the pressure relying on our defensive ability to wear Huddersfield out before exploit them later. We're one eye fixed at upcoming games.

dove

0 composure at the back is killing us. I know we got a clean sheet and won but that first half was shocking because we simply couldn't play the ball from defence and string 2 passes together. Jose clearly sees it and that's why he said defenders and 1 CM will be a priority in the summer.

Robertd0803

Lukaku does make things very awkward looking even when he is in total control (the second goal). That VAR nonsense was a complete joke.

JK-27

A lot of positive stuff in this game; more than it meets the eye.

First the negatives:
  1. Looked shaky and lacking confidence in the first half. There seems to be a fragility and lack of confidence and composure for some stretches of the game.
  2. Should've scored more in the second half. Still wasteful with promising chances.
  3. Within 2 minutes of coming on, Martial complaining because Matic passed to Lingard instead of to him. Jesus Christ, Martial! STFU and play! So sick and tired of this spoiled children attitude that brings down team morale.

Positives:
  1. I think this game shows exactly how Mourihno envisions this team - athletic and physically imposing midfield and back line, with creative and pacey front line that can hit opponents on counterattack. The problem has been the inability to consistently break through the first wave of pressure and transition into counterattack, and Sanchez has been a great addition to improve this. If would be a great (great!!!) shame if Pogba for whatever reason (whether inability or refusal) didn't fit into this setup because he is exactly the kind of midfielder that has the ability to provide athleticism in the defensive phase and transition from defense to attack with his dribbling and passing skills.
  2. Lukaku. The man is built for counterattack. He lacks the finesse in tight spaces, but get him on the counterattack and he is devastating. Him and Sanchez seem to have a good understanding and both work hard.
  3. Sanchez - fantastic player, exactly what the team was lacking, and the youngsters should learn from him.
  4. Mata - Lacks athleticism, but more than makes up for it with intelligence and technique.
  5. Defense played well throughout.
  6. Managed the game really well in the second half, alternated between holding the ball and counterattacking.
Agree 100%. Telling that Martial, who has more pace than Sanchez, seemed to slow us down on the counter attack when he came on. He needs to look at what Sanchez does and emulate it.

Man of the Match

Romelu Lukaku image Romelu Lukaku 81% of 574 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 354 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Huddersfield win
  • Draw