FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Huddersfield Town 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 February 2018

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Let's all agree that in the first half we were crap. Better movement after the second goal. Some players are not good enough for Utd. Get rid. They cant even string two passes together. All the back line needs to change. We need defenders that can pass forward, not back to the GK every single time. Shaw, overrated, he looks fatter. Young is past his best. Smalling not a footballer. Get some proper defenders who can roll the ball forward.

Matic too feckin slow.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Let's all agree that in the first half we were crap. Better movement after the second goal. Some players are not good enough for Utd. Get rid. They cant even string two passes together. All the back line needs to change. We need defenders that can pass forward, not back to the GK every single time. Shaw, overrated, he looks fatter. Young is past his best. Smalling not a footballer. Get some proper defenders who can roll the ball forward.

Matic too feckin slow.
Is there an 'irony' emoji?

tombob

Same old. Nothing in midfield and we get dominated. We really need to change our approach. Slow slow slow. When we dont have the ball we need to do so much more and press.

Every team looking at that will know just what to do.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thought we were average overall, with our midfield being dreadful. Matic seemed to want an age on the ball, Carrick was rusty and McTominay is just non-existent.

Great on the counter though, and thought our front 3 did well considering what little they were getting from our midfield.

Overall it was thankfully a pretty relaxing and easy game up watch in the home end. The Town fans around me were a bit pissed with the Ref, and with Sanchez, but no one seemed bothered when I accidentally got annoyed the once or twice our moves broke down, so that was nice at least.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I thought Smalling was a contender for MOTM. Yes, Sanchez, Matic and Mata were very good. Honorable mentions for Shaw, Young, Lindelof. Obviously Lukaku deserves the accolades, though. He took his chances very well.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
First half was a shocker, all they did was have a full back overlap and they had an avenue to attack every time, great work from defensive coach Mouriniho.

Lukaku at last got balls into feet he could run onto and showed what he could do

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
If the result was a loss or tie, post game thread would easily be at 10+ pages by now.

Goes to show how many people will come crawling out of the woodwork to complain for a result not in our favour but turn a blind eye at a positive result. This forum in a nutshell honestly.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If the result was a loss or tie, post game thread would easily be at 10+ pages by now.

Goes to show how many people will come crawling out of the woodwork to complain for a result not in our favour but turn a blind eye at a positive result. This forum in a nutshell honestly.
I think this is a sort of game we should be winning. Not to make much out of it really.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Only got the first 45 on radio when driving, and picked the game up on 55mins, but sounded and looked pretty comfortable to me. Very clinical too.

Didn't dominate possession by any means, but we've surely learnt from the Van Gaal days that possession itself doesn't mean much.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
You got it right there. Who's the opponent matters.
Granted the first half was awful, which was down to the players being so deep in our half, I dont think Huddersfield dominated us. In fact, I think they played into our hands. They never actually looked liked scoring. We soaked pressure and eased to a win with a very good performance in the 2nd half.

Sgeorge

Glad that we won. Poor first half but a better second half. I thought Lindelof had a good game today. I would have ideally liked him to be more adventurous, though he might have been under strict orders and getting a game after a long time you don't want to commit many mistakes. But he has the desire and confidence to play the ball from the back and didn't always hoof the ball.

There were a couple of instances in todays game I noticed where he immediately ran out to the flanks to receive the ball from GK, but Smalling just held his position waiting for Romero to clear the ball (which he did) and ended up giving up possession. Also another time when Lindelof was showing for the ball Smalling didn't make the pass and went back to the keeper which allowed the opponents to press and again loose possession.

Bailly coming back was a boost. May be he and Lindelof could play together or Rojo. Smalling had a good game defensively in the sense that he cleared a lot of balls and won a lot of headers (which he is good at) but I don't think Smalling should be first choice because of the mistakes he makes and lack of ball playing skills.

Martial's cameo appearance was drool worthy. Hopefully Jose finds a way to fit in both Martial and Alexis in the starting lineup. Midfield still a question mark and injuries aren't helping.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
I bet Sanchez would be thinking "Wtf, these gringos are useless".

LvG ruined them.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Smalling and Rom did well and the rest did enough. They had a right go in fairness to them, but were never a threat. Our midfield was always more likely to stifle than create, so a classic was never really on.
All in all, a decent, hard working win.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Let's just replace that with another derogatory racial term, would we still find that funny?

Just because it applies to someone who is foreign and English speaking doesn't make it any less stupid

beingshe7don

We played horribly in the first half. We let them dominate us and I believe they had about 75% possession and we had one good chance which we put away early in the game. But same old back passes, sideways passing. The second half was a lot better. Sanchez played pretty decent today and good assist but it was when Martial came on and worked his magic on the left flank which is amazing to watch. He was schooling Huddersfield. He was unlucky not to get on the score sheet but I would hope that Mourinho plays Martial on the left and move Sanchez to the right wing instead. All in all, good win but the type of play was uneventful and I feel bad for those traveling United fans who went to watch the game. United could have done a lot better when it came to entertaining.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Let's just replace that with another derogatory racial term, would we still find that funny?

Just because it applies to someone who is foreign and English speaking doesn't make it any less stupid
Get a life weirdo, calling me a racist?

Coops73

Really? The fella was just making a joke.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Didn't get to see the whole match as I was kind of busy, but I kept my eye on it as best as I could.

You can only beat whats in front of you, but the stats, although don't tell the full story, look frustrating.
Played a team just outside the relegation zone:
Less possession
Less shots
Less shots on target (We scored from our only two)

It just confuses me how poor we are in front of goal.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Thought we were average overall, with our midfield being dreadful. Matic seemed to want an age on the ball, Carrick was rusty and McTominay is just non-existent.

Great on the counter though, and thought our front 3 did well considering what little they were getting from our midfield.

Overall it was thankfully a pretty relaxing and easy game up watch in the home end. The Town fans around me were a bit pissed with the Ref, and with Sanchez, but no one seemed bothered when I accidentally got annoyed the once or twice our moves broke down, so that was nice at least.
It's not that McTom is non-existent, for example... he only had 2 fewer touches than Carrick. The problem is what he does with those touches. Carrick made 51 passes using 61 touches, McTom made 37 passes in 59 touches. He actually had a higher pass accuracy than Carrick but made far fewer passes which isn't good for a midfielder. He did make a decent amount of clearances so he helped defensively and also produced one key pass which was more than Carrick and Matic who had 0, although he did play slightly higher up the pitch.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
As for the game. It was a good result and a decent performance once we got going, which took a while given the changes we had in the starting eleven. We won comfortably in the end and gave several players a run out. Objective done.

simplyared

What I liked about this game was firstly the line-up. Jose's thinking CL resting some of the players and there were positives to be taken from today with the Tuesday game in mind. Must also give some praise to our no.2 keeper. Never lets us down whenever he gets the call. We're lucky to have him! Aware the opposition wasn't CL level exactly but Matic was better than I've seen him for a while and Sanchez absolutely ruled the show. Good to see him taken off and hopefully he got a good warm up. Played well with Lukaku and so important for him to get those 2 goals. Martial looked dangerous too when he came on.
Jose will have had some important questions answered today. Smalling must be his no. 1 choice CB! Jose will have the Tuesday game worked out knowing already his best starting 11 for the task. I think CL will bring out the best in him and hopefully we'll see some of the old Mourinho. I'd take a draw anyday of the week!

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
You can’t really blame energy levels because we finished so strongly, while they were out on their feet. Dreadful start, though. All over the place in the opening spell.
We often seem to take our time to get going and instead waiting for teams to run on empty. I guess I'd like us to be more on the front foot and aggressive from the start.

dogwithabone

Defended really well. Keeper had little to do which considering how much of the ball they seemed to have in or around our box was testament to some great defending.

Acole9

Outstanding
Pleased with the win, we've managed to avoid a replay which is always good and through to the quarter finals with a decent home draw.

First half I was concerned by how exposed Shaw was from a lack of cover from Sanchez in front of him, looks as though that was rectified over half time because I don't really remember much down that side in the second half but Huddersfield did tire a fair amount. Defensively as a team I thought we was sound, there's still far too many clearances where we're pretty much hoofing the ball away only for the opposition to pick it up and attack us again, we need to be calmer in those situations and attempt to play out from the back with a bit more finesse. Down the years of watching United I get frustrated by how often we pass back to the keeper, this should only happen as a last resort when all other scenarios are out of the question, there was one from Young today which resulted in a corner and it was just so sloppy.

I thought the midfield three did ok, I think they was almost bypassed for a lot of the match. The chances of it happening are low but I would be concerned if we had that midfield against better opposition, I think they would get eaten alive.

It was nice to Gomes on the bench again and also Hamilton. The chances of him playing were always going to be slim anyway but it's a nice moment for the lad and great Mourinho putting some faith in the youth. No following the Guardiola (Inventor of football) trait of having six substitutes.

My first place position at the top of the score predictions would be all the more greater if my 3-0 prediction was correct. Although the Mata goal was correctly ruled out for offside, the whole situation surrounding VAR is just farcical and is making a mockery of the sport. I'm not a fan of it and I never wanted it, if I'm not mistaken it is supposed to be used if a clear error has been made, I think it's clear to see that it wasn't a clear error, there was such fine margins in it. The decision took far too long to be made, even after it was made there was an awful lot of doubt, it took about 45 minutes from the coverage on BT and multiple replays to conclude that yes it was offside. If it is going to work it needs to be far more efficient, like the goal line technology is, some sensors in the goals and a referees watch to decide whether or not it has gone over the line or not.

VAR works well in cricket because it's a slow sport, which is fairly stop start anyway because of overs etc. I'm not a follower of rugby league but I've heard it's not been good and has made the sport the worse for it. I just hope we don't see this come into football, I don't want to see us score a goal have that raw emotion of us fans and players celebrating to be taken away because the referee turns around and goes "Oh hang on, I need to check this".

Camilo

Delighted to be through, but poor for much of the match... Was it so much different to last week? Early goal gave us the match really.

Lukaku did brilliantly, and the extra man in midfield gave us a little more presence, but we still created very little (neither did they), we just happened to score our only real chances. Better individual performances is how I'd describe it - and individual performances only get teams so far.

I live in hope that we'll see the light soon.

L1nk

Delighted to be through, but poor for much of the match... Was it so much different to last week? Early goal gave us the match really.

Lukaku did brilliantly, and the extra man in midfield gave us a little more presence, but we still created very little (neither did they), we just happened to score our only real chances. Better individual performances is how I'd describe it - and individual performances only get teams so far.

I live in hope that we'll see the light soon.
Basically against say, City, or Spurs, we'd of been absolutely lambasted that first half, it was shocking.

Man of the Match

Romelu Lukaku image Romelu Lukaku 81% of 574 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 354 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Huddersfield win
  • Draw