FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Huddersfield Town 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 February 2018

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yet another game where Lukaku has single handedly carried us as an attacking threat and turned what would otherwise have been a massive struggle into an easy win. He must have done this more times than any of our other players this season yet he seems to get more stick than any of them.

I enjoyed Martial's 15 minute piss take.

Also enjoyed some of the insightful stats from the BT commentary, such as telling us that United have an amazing record of nearly always scoring when they win in the FA cup...because this definitely isn't a stat that you can apply to any team...that they usually have to score to win a cup game that you can't actually win by not scoring. Well done.

When we were 2-0 up our decision making in the attacking third was so bad it actually looked like we were deliberately trying not to score. Not sure this is a very good idea when you're not playing Huddersfield.

: No goal, ball still in play

Cantonagotmehere

[QUOTE="noodlehair, post: 22182944, member: 8868"]Yet another game where Lukaku has single handedly carried us as an attacking threat and turned what would otherwise have been a massive struggle into an easy win. He must have done this more times than any of our other players this season yet he seems to get more stick than any of them.

Also enjoyed some of the insightful stats from the BT commentary, such as telling us that United have an amazing record of nearly always scoring when they win in the FA cup...because this definitely isn't a stat that you can apply to any team...that they usually have to score to win a cup game that you can't actually win by not scoring. Well done.

When we were 2-0 up our decision making in the attacking third was so bad it actually looked like we were deliberately trying not to score. Not sure this is a very good idea when you're not playing Huddersfield.

: No goal, ball still in play[/QUOTE]

So true

Web of Bissaka

:drool: Carrick is class. Carrick-Matic combo, I like it.

:devil: Smalling, shade of that Beast mode of his, more please.

Counter attacks, love it, see we can actually play exciting football, relax.

:D Special thanks to Huddersfield for having a go at us... and leaving all those saucy wide spaces for us to feast on.

VAR sucks, its review took too much time, boring, and its result is rubbish.

So caf is back all happy and fun, good win.

quethenoo

Let's all agree that in the first half we were crap. Better movement after the second goal. Some players are not good enough for Utd. Get rid. They cant even string two passes together. All the back line needs to change. We need defenders that can pass forward, not back to the GK every single time. Shaw, overrated, he looks fatter. Young is past his best. Smalling not a footballer. Get some proper defenders who can roll the ball forward.

Matic too feckin slow.
I'm guessing you are a glass half empty kinda guy? Kinell

Alexit

Good thing goal difference doesn't come into play in cup competitions. It would be scenes if it did and we lost it on GD, by one. VAR is so beta.

Always good to see Lukaku score but he seems so damn clunky (even clumsy) at times, even when he puts it in the back of the net. I guess as long as he's banging them in that's secondary.

Eric back just in time to displace Mike Smalling who was excellent today. Go figure.

L1nk

:D Special thanks to Huddersfield for having a go at us... and leaving all those saucy wide spaces for us to feast on.

The only counter attacking football we played was for about 10 minutes around the 60 minute mark that coincided with the second goal, other than that we pretty much let Huddersfield run all over us like a freight train, even after our second we sat back a lot, so whilst we can do it, why don't we bloody do it all the time is what frustrates me, we clearly have the tools so stop sitting back and inviting them to score against us, so annoying :p. Performance was absolutely shambolic a lot of the time but we got through that's the important thing in the end.

walkinhop

Granted the first half was awful, which was down to the players being so deep in our half, I dont think Huddersfield dominated us. In fact, I think they played into our hands. They never actually looked liked scoring. We soaked pressure and eased to a win with a very good performance in the 2nd half.
No, you are definitely right. I just don't think the reason they played into our hands is our own plan but rather our failure to control the game. They really didn't create much but got in good positions way too often. Thankfully their inability to produce and our good central-defensive showing prevented anything serious.

I don't really mean the possession when i say dominated, rather the ease with which they got to the penalty borders and into good crossing positions.

Again, I don't want to look like just another whiner. I just try and think rationally. If Lukaku doesn't score those 2 ( let's not count Mata's) the game looks like that against Newcastle. All they would need is 1 moment and we would lose it. Is it really enough to soak pressure again these teams and risk a chancy goal against us, knowing that we don't score a ton at the moment and don't really come back from deficits?

haram

Yet another game where Lukaku has single handedly carried us as an attacking threat and turned what would otherwise have been a massive struggle into an easy win. He must have done this more times than any of our other players this season yet he seems to get more stick than any of them.
He doesn’t have the touch of Messi, that’s why.

Paul_Scholes18

Good we got the win, but we need to play better to win the cup in the future. Hope Pogba can comeback and find top form again.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Felt like we coasted to the win tbh, job done, next.There were moments for Huddersfield but really, Romero could have gone for a sandwich.

I think in a few years it will improve markedly. Today, it was comical. Those wonky lines looked like they'd been drawn by a 2 year old and the VAR ref should get the sack!
I think so too, lots to iron out but the right way to go.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
No, you are definitely right. I just don't think the reason they played into our hands is our own plan but rather our failure to control the game. They really didn't create much but got in good positions way too often. Thankfully their inability to produce and our good central-defensive showing prevented anything serious.

I don't really mean the possession when i say dominated, rather the ease with which they got to the penalty borders and into good crossing positions.

Again, I don't want to look like just another whiner. I just try and think rationally. If Lukaku doesn't score those 2 ( let's not count Mata's) the game looks like that against Newcastle. All they would need is 1 moment and we would lose it. Is it really enough to soak pressure again these teams and risk a chancy goal against us, knowing that we don't score a ton at the moment and don't really come back from deficits?
Nah, I understand your frustrations which is why I said (or atleast thought) that in the end it worked. I do actually think that the poor performance in the 1st half was on the team. Mourinho obviously told them to push up higher in the 2nd half and you could see him trying to wave the team forward in the 1st.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

:drool::devil::D, indeed. Enjoyable post.

wolvored

We won but was 2nd best for most of the match. We could have scored more if the right ball had have been played when we countered. Left side is a problem with Sanchez defence wise. He would probably be better playing in the middle behind Lukaku.

wolvored

: No goal, ball still in play
lol class

Social Madworks

A lot of positive stuff in this game; more than it meets the eye.

First the negatives:
  1. Looked shaky and lacking confidence in the first half. There seems to be a fragility and lack of confidence and composure for some stretches of the game.
  2. Should've scored more in the second half. Still wasteful with promising chances.
  3. Within 2 minutes of coming on, Martial complaining because Matic passed to Lingard instead of to him. Jesus Christ, Martial! STFU and play! So sick and tired of this spoiled children attitude that brings down team morale.

Positives:
  1. I think this game shows exactly how Mourihno envisions this team - athletic and physically imposing midfield and back line, with creative and pacey front line that can hit opponents on counterattack. The problem has been the inability to consistently break through the first wave of pressure and transition into counterattack, and Sanchez has been a great addition to improve this. If would be a great (great!!!) shame if Pogba for whatever reason (whether inability or refusal) didn't fit into this setup because he is exactly the kind of midfielder that has the ability to provide athleticism in the defensive phase and transition from defense to attack with his dribbling and passing skills.
  2. Lukaku. The man is built for counterattack. He lacks the finesse in tight spaces, but get him on the counterattack and he is devastating. Him and Sanchez seem to have a good understanding and both work hard.
  3. Sanchez - fantastic player, exactly what the team was lacking, and the youngsters should learn from him.
  4. Mata - Lacks athleticism, but more than makes up for it with intelligence and technique.
  5. Defense played well throughout.
  6. Managed the game really well in the second half, alternated between holding the ball and counterattacking.
What’s wrong with complaining? Sanchez complains all the time all games.

Social Madworks

And I hope this 2 goals changes Jose’s perpective on Lukaku. He is not a target man. Ball to his feet, let him run to do wonders.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
we weren't brilliant but we did more than enough. some god defensive displays and we actually looked a bit more fluid without pogba. I thought Lukaku had dithered too much with both chances. he looked to be away, then looked to have been caught. showed good strength and composure. great to see carrick back and controlling things. woish we'd scored a third so the youngsters could have had game time. once again we see that smalling can play without jones, while earlier in the season we saw jones can play without smalling. together: it's Laurel and Hardy

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I love the tech usd in cricket at the NFL but a bunch of clowns have got their hands on VAR. It's a bit like asking the editor of the Daily Mail to give a speech about the values of the EU! As soon as the ref called for it, I knew the goal would be wiped out. I disagree that it was offside. The rule says if a part of the attacking player is offside (ie Mata's knee), then it is offside but the rule does not say that only the part of a player that can score is needed to keep him onside ie the defender's arm can keep an attacker onside. and what happened to giving the attacking side the benefit of the doubt? I owner how soon our defense is not going to be given that benefit

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Luke SHaw got my MoM by the smallest of margins over Lukaku simply because he was involved more. Huddersfield thought he was our weak line and he didn't put a foot wrong. Smalling and Lindelof good to. Sanchez a bit disappointing again

Klopp_De_Klown

Lukaku MOTM

Delighted to be typing that. He deserves it too for months of subtle improvements and hard work. 21 goals and still a bag of games left to get a few more. Lukaku usually goes on a run this time of year too so can he get the 30?

You know he just might with a little luck!

Man of the Match

Romelu Lukaku image Romelu Lukaku 81% of 574 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 354 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Huddersfield win
  • Draw