PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Huddersfield Town

Post-match discussion

Wed, 26 December 2018

nooshka

Does anyone have or know where I can get the running stats for today’s game? Having a debate with mates and wanted to be able to say we outran the opposition again today.

mancan92

Something people need to remember is the team is not used to the high press. You can tell that around the 70th minute the team is dead on its feet. Give them a few weeks to get used to the high intensity

Red Devil Rising

Does anyone have or know where I can get the running stats for today’s game? Having a debate with mates and wanted to be able to say we outran the opposition again today.
Be interested in that too.

Before last week, only match we outran the opposition was Fulham at home, and it was something measly like 160 yards or something. And that was with playing against 10 men.

Will be good to see if we've done this twice on the trot

Møllemanden

abdo99 said:
Not sure about Lukaku but music to my ears nonetheless. Brilliant
The team created so few chances, playing the Mourinho way. I'm sure he'll start scoring goals again. Just look at his record playing for Belgium. He's a fantastic striker IMO.

When he starts getting more than one shot pr. game... Things will change.

Canagel

The team created so few chances, playing the Mourinho way. I'm sure he'll start scoring goals again. Just look at his record playing for Belgium. He's a fantastic striker IMO.

When he starts getting more than one shot pr. game... Things will change.
I'm not so sure. He plays against some really bad teams like Panama and Luxembourg on the international level. And it's debatable if he'll get more chances as Rashford has been better at linking up with Lingard , Pogba and Mata etc dragging defenders away to create space. It's to hard to create for striker who doesn't move. We don't cross much under Solskjaer therefore I expect Lukaku and Fellaini to struggle. But let's see

Møllemanden

abdo99 said:
I'm not so sure. He plays against some really bad teams like Panama and Luxembourg on the international level. And it's debatable if he'll get more chances as Rashford has been better at linking up with Lingard , Pogba and Mata etc dragging defenders away to create space. It's to hard to create for striker who doesn't move. We don't cross much under Solskjaer therefore I expect Lukaku and Fellaini to struggle. But let's see
Time will tell. I have a good feeling about it. But if Rashford continues to work his socks off, then Lukaku will have a hard time earning a spot in the starting 11. Good to have more strikers back next week.

Canagel

Something people need to remember is the team is not used to the high press. You can tell that around the 70th minute the team is dead on its feet. Give them a few weeks to get used to the high intensity
We needed some attacking options also to keep the freshness. Lingard in particular faded badly.

tomaldinho1

Exactly - we're playing well, there's a load of movement up top. Lukaku on the bench at most unless things drastically change because he's not that type of striker

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
When the Full backs press super high and the midfield doesn’t take care to cover those spaces in defence, we look very very average.

The defence is in serious need of aerially dominant players.

If we play like this against Tottenham, we will be ripped to shreds. Huddersfield has SO MANY chances it’s not even funny.

I smiled through the goals but cringed when they exploited the space down the sides so easily.
A lot of truth in this

Cardozo

I believe Lukaku will play well in this system. There’s a lot of passing into the box which is where his goals have typically came from for us.

Sanchez clearly has lacked confidence but when he scores a screamer in the next game due to the space our roaming midfield and wing backs are creating I think he’ll be unleashed.

Quite a nice mix of players / possible subs up top in a front 3 and would be interested to see how Sanchez would fare in the centre like he did for Arsenal.

Tosicsleftpeg

The best pogba has played for a long time, honestly was superb today. Overall the performance was good, we do look a bit shaky at the back sometimes but I'm ok with that as long as we go for these smaller teams with everything we have. Dalot started well but struggled a bit defensively.

Happy with the result and there weren't many poor performances. The only ones who weren't quite at the races were Fred (shock) and Lingard was a bit quiet. Standout performers were obviously pogba, Luke Shaw, rashford and lindelof for me.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Also; it’s Christmas. A lot of games in short order. There was a famous Italian manager who used to say ‘play for the tournament’. In other words, in the rarefied air of the last 16, or whatever, when suspensions, injuries, fatigue began to bite, you need something in reserve. I am all for attack, attack, attack. But let’s not throw out all pragmatism with the Jose bath water

Canagel

Exactly - we're playing well, there's a load of movement up top. Lukaku on the bench at most unless things drastically change because he's not that type of striker
Rashford has absolutely run his socks off the last two games. And he's hold up play is getting better. We outrun a team for the first time in the whole season against Cardiff. If Lukaku isn't ready to give the same workrate there isn't really room for him in the team.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
From open play yes, but set pieces we could barely win the first ball. The commentators say you have to react for the second ball but that's always hard / unpredictable.
I'll have to rewatch the match again afterwards, but from what I can recall, I don't think we were that uncomfortable with their set pieces. Their size wasn't easy to manage, but I thought our defence still did alright considering the circumstances (the first long throw in, Depoitre chance, and Zanka goal being the exceptions).

jeff_goldblum

The Christmas booze perhaps? :lol:
I'm not worried about 3rd place. I am only focused on 4th. The top 3 will be LFC, MCFC, Spurs (not sure which order, though).
4th place, though ridiculously difficult, might be attainable.
I have been hammering it to be fair, must've read Arsenal's points total. I agree that it's entirely possible to catch Chelsea and Arsenal. Getting results against them will be key.

Gasolin

But he does move a lot for Belgium, no?

RonW

I just thought it was so refreshing to see our Mike Phelan back at the dugout today again, barking instructions just like back in those days with SAF :D This feels like good ol Man United again.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Didn't think we were that good today, and I'm struggling to remember too many saves that their goalie made or many good chances that we missed. Back to reality in a way after Cardiff. Still, I thought we just about deserved the win (2-1 rather than 3) and I've generally got a good feeling about United right now with Ole at the helm. Pleased with the 3 points on the board and every game can't be as easy as the last one. Also happy that we gained 2 points Arsenal today.

Andersons Dietician

Oh Ole you beauty you :drool:
I was thinking near the end of the game I fancy Lukaku and Sanchez to come back in to this team and find the form they had at previous clubs. Last 2 games there have been multiple occasions where we’ve created situations which the likes of Lukaku would thrive on so hopefully he gets back to his Everton form and Sanchez rediscovers a bit of magic because all of a sudde. A front 3 of Martial, Lukaku and Sanchez sounds good to me especially when you can add in a Rashford.

Fracture90

So far so good! Had our ups and downs, our ups outshone our downs and that's what matters. 2 games in and we're looking like completely different team, looking forward to seeing us in couple months from now where the players are more accustomed to new style.

BigRon1985

What was pleasing apart from the result today was the atmosphere at Old Trafford. Sometimes this season you could hear a pin drop - today the crowd never stopped singing. The feel good factor is definitely back - long may it last! :)

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We are starting to look like a pre-van dijk Liverpool team. Great going forward but always suspect in the back. At least, we don't have to replace the goalie.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Fun game that. Played some nice stuff against an opponent that sat very deep.

Pogba MOTM, Mata, Matic and Rashford were also really good.

We look very shoddy defending set plays though, as we have done all season. Needs to be sorted out asap

RAVred

We didnt play great, but we did win, which is characteristic of good teams. Compared to cardiff it was an off day for us, and shooting to me was particularly bad. A lot of the shots when we were on top of them went straight at the keeper, which is always disappointing, but it can be improved.

No matter what but Dave cant get a clean sheet this season :lol:

The next two matches are probably the more challenging ones in Ole's initial stretch but should also be wins if we want to get back into top 4. Newcastle away can be difficult and Bournemouth play great football as we saw when we lucked a win earlier. I honestly have felt that we perform worse at home, then away, for the last few managers, at the very least Mourinho. I think it was a mentality thing amongst players and not just a management thing, I hope Ole works this out.

Maticmaker

Good win, scoring eight goals in two matches can't be bad?

Some signs of slippage again, that ten minute spell after half time, again its like someone's thrown a switch at half time and we come out still sucking lemons. The defensive frailties are still there, but the worst of today was when Fred got caught knapping once or twice well out of position in midfield, although overall he didn't do too badly.

Pleased to see Pogba going for goal again, two really good strikes. Not fully functioning yet, but progress is obvious and the smiles are there once again.

Eric's Seagull

I honestly have felt that we perform worse at home, then away,
I get what you are saying, although it should not be like that.

Old Trafford used to be a place where team used to get intimidated by before stepping on the pitch.
Years ago people knew they were lucky to come away from Old Trafford with a point.
When teams came there they knew they were going to get a game and would try to keep the score down to a respectable level.

We need to make it like that again. :devil:

Canagel

Forgot to mention that we really need to work on our fitness levels.
We do. The team was gassed after 70 minutes. Mourinho reactive tactics turned us into a lazy team. Which we'll take some time to get out of

Fracture90

We do. The team was gassed after 70 minutes. Mourinho reactive tactics turned us into a lazy team. Which we'll take some time to get out of
Yeah, atm we're reminiscent of the last season's 'Pool, getting gassed after 60-70 minutes.

Reddevildans

Small forward steps at a time. What im starting to enjoy is the cutting down of hoof ball. Even with felliani or Lukaku on I don't think Ole would prefer us to play that way. Keeping that ball on the deck should be the way. I thought the spell after our first goal was great. Just lacked that final ball and correct decision making.

Al-T

We've put a couple of poor sides to bed and after the shit fests we've seen over the past few years and thats good.

Mourinho was right - and partially culpable - about the defenders we have. Upgrades here remain vital.

Eight goals in two games feels like sunlit uplands though.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 91% of 677 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 450 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Huddersfield win
  • Draw