PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Huddersfield Town

Post-match discussion

Wed, 26 December 2018

humdinger

I don’t think we were great today but it shows that if you’re positive and keep trying to do the right things it’ll usually pay off, especially against the smaller teams. We didn’t look like we really knew what to do in attacking positions but kept pressing and hounding them and basically got our rewards due to having better quality players.

Once they get a better grip of tactics and things come more naturally I think this team will go from strength to strength.

tomaldinho1

I get what you are saying, although it should not be like that.

Old Trafford used to be a place where team used to get intimidated by before stepping on the pitch.
Years ago people knew they were lucky to come away from Old Trafford with a point.
When teams came there they knew they were going to get a game and would try to keep the score down to a respectable level.

We need to make it like that again. :devil:
Issue is all teams in the PL know how to sit back and defend well, the quality of coaching in the last decade or so has drastically improved. Getting a first goal is key and, until the last 2 games, that's something we massively struggle with.

Ashley R1+O

Thought it was the same ordinary stuff for 60 minutes until somebody said "ay, we're gonna get stonked for a goal here, stomp the throat" and we responded. This is the United I want to see, good, bad, struggling, a job on. Actually caring and trying to win a game in the 90 minutes. Can handle losing if the boys gave their all. There are no excuses for losing when leaving it on the pitch and taking the piss, half arsing it.

United is not that club.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don’t think we were great today but it shows that if you’re positive and keep trying to do the right things it’ll usually pay off, especially against the smaller teams. We didn’t look like we really knew what to do in attacking positions but kept pressing and hounding them and basically got our rewards due to having better quality players.

Once they get a better grip of tactics and things come more naturally I think this team will go from strength to strength.
Yeh. We seemed to be lacking some flair in attack. I'm hoping Sanchez will be that 'special one'. Martial - Sanchez - Rashford would be mouthwatering.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Great win.I can complain you could see that we had a plan which was lacking under Mourinho .

Now that I am looking forward to our games time has stood still.If it were under Mourinho today would have been Sunday already.:lol:

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Just out of curiosity, what was Pogba pointing at for his 2nd?

Also, just from watching the clip of the 2nd goal, you can clearly see the difference in the team. There's actually runs being made, like...a run forward...into space. This was something we hardly saw under Mourinho. Countless times I exasperatedly sighed and pointed at a huge patch of pitch that no one was running into and a warm tear would roll down my face as I saw we'd passed it sideways or backwards.

Loving the forward mentality of the team right now, long may it continue.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
Great win.I can complain you could see that we had a plan which was lacking under Mourinho .

Now that I am looking forward to our games time has stood still.If it were under Mourinho today would have been Sunday already.:lol:
Ole Gunnar Solskjær, extender of life.

Marshal

During some moments the team had more heart than brain, but they never stopped trying. Still lots of work to be done, because because today's performance is not enough for big matches, but in any case it's a pleasure to see offensive football even when it's not so good.

Trizy

Just out of curiosity, what was Pogba pointing at for his 2nd?
It's christmas and he was with all his family (see on social media) yesterday so they might have been at the game in the stands.

DRM

Defensively we looked a bit suspect but I always felt we could go up a gear or two and was never worried about not scoring. Under Mourinho, this game couldve easily finished 1-1. Good progress so far but a lot of small things to improve on.

Dante

Average bang
It's christmas and he was with all his family (see on social media) yesterday so they might have been at the game in the stands.
I doubt the Christmas part of the equation was particularly important (apart from the fact everyone has a bit of time off work). He's Muslim.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Our game has a flow to it. We do not hesitate to push high up the pitch and there is a flow to the game. Players love the one-two type quick passing and that first goal of Pogba's was a sensation to watch. Rashford, Mata, Herrera all had classic touches with Pogba finishing in style.

Fred needs to improve his sync and awareness of his teammates. He seems especially clueless of Shaw and Dalot's movements both offensively and defensively.

Mata should only be a sub, if played wide. Love his intelligence, but we need a quicker player who can probe the defence more.

tonnas

Was not the best of games but we scored 3 and should have been 2-0 at half time, just that says a lot. Can't wait for next game!

Sgt.Major

"It's only Cardiff... and Huddersfield"

Let's keep making that sentence longer and longer, great job by the team today.

Jonty

It just feels right! Ole won't always have that smile on his face but it's such a welcome relief after the dross that's been served up for the last few years

Gungne

9/10.

Am I the only one who wasn't keen on the double substituion? A bit defensive
What? This substitution changed the game. Huddersfield was starting play good football, Young and Hererra stopped them. It was a 100% perfect substitution.

John Blund

It's fun to watch United again. We're a little sloppy at the back, and we're having some strange decisions on their half, but all in all, we're fun to watch. We're trying things and we're playing. Yes, we're giving away the ball in odd situations, but we're also getting creative on the ball. Right now, I don't care who leads the team next season, but this time we really have to appoint someone known for entertaining football. Mourinhos football never was entertaining. We knew that before he arrived. Moyes? I've never seen an Everton game in my life under Moyes, wishing United played like them.

Dante

Average bang
What? This substitution changed the game. Huddersfield was starting play good football, Young and Hererra stopped them. It was a 100% perfect substitution.
Agreed.

After Huddersfield started attacking, they suddenly realised that Fred was easily bullied and Dalot was easily skinned.

They were the right subs at the right time. If Ole had kept things as they were, we'd have been vulnerable.

Will Singh

I didn't mind we conceded as long as we keep playing positive footy. 2nd game now I've noticed there was about 4/5 players in a small space passing to each other when they need to spread out or make runs but it's only a minor thing overall against a weaker opposition.

Dante

Average bang
Ole's tactics are a bit weird.

I'm just rewatching the full 90, and I my initial impression is being confirmed.

We played a lop-sided 4-2-3-1

---------------------De Gea
Dalot---Lindelof---Jones---Shaw
--------------Fred
----------------------------Matic
---------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------Pogba
-------Mata--------/------------Lingard
------------------Rashford

Fred is deeper than Matic. Pogba is almost inline with Lingard and Mata, but very much on the left.

ruairifionnan

A joy to watch these last two games , still need a few players but things are looking very positive all of a sudden .OGS is a breath of fresh air .

MyDevil

I feel there are more attacking options now. More players joining the attacks and better movements which was seriously lacking under Mourinho. The first 20 mins is a bit slow but the tempo was up once they have more grip in the game.

Canagel

I agree. I'm perfectly happy to play with that risk against the small teams. Trust our superior attackers to do the job. Against 80% of this league we will come out on top in a toe to toe battle. End to end. We've scored 8 in two games so far . And we didn't have Sanchez for both and Martial for today only. It's promising.

Steerpike

I thought that was a decent enough performance against a dogged and hardworking Huddersfield side. We may have seen something similar to the Cardiff scoreline had Dalot converted his chance to make it 2-0.

Pogba will get the plaudits for his goals and some good moments in his attacking play, and probably just about deserves to be man of the match, but Jones was also very impressive in his defensive work.

Fred looked a little bit rusty, but I was pleased to see him get some game time. I'm sure he will only get better.

Roll on Bournemouth!

Steerpike

9/10.

Am I the only one who wasn't keen on the double substituion? A bit defensive
I thought Ole got it spot on.

Huddersfield had started the second half well, and were arguably on top at the time he made the substitutions. He basically replaced an inexperienced player with an experienced one at full back, and a slightly rusty player with one who has had plenty of game time in midfield. The substitutions didn't change the basic setup of the side, and they had the desired effect (Huddersfield looked less threatening, and we scored 2 more goals).

What's not to like?

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I thought Ole got it spot on.

Huddersfield had started the second half well, and were arguably on top at the time he made the substitutions. He basically replaced an inexperienced player with an experienced one at full back, and a slightly rusty player with one who has had plenty of game time in midfield. The substitutions didn't change the basic setup of the side, and they had the desired effect (Huddersfield looked less threatening, and we scored 2 more goals).

What's not to like?
This is a great post, Ole made 2 substitutions to gain control back and it worked brilliantly. Dalot is good but he's very inexperienced. The Herrera substitution was key. It gave us a lot more control and we ticked on from there.

MrSingh2002

Nice to watch good attacking football again.

My worry is our defence against Bournemouth.... they really will test us and we won't be able to attack in the same naive way I would have thought unless we're planning on winning 6-5.

rpg

Nice to watch good attacking football again.

My worry is our defence against Bournemouth.... they really will test us and we won't be able to attack in the same naive way I would have thought unless we're planning on winning 6-5.
Its been long time since the lesser team fear us at Old Trafford. Time to teach Bournemouth a lesson and other teams will start parking the bus at Old Trafford.

Suedesi

OGS: Sorry, I'm late. The boss was asking how you're doing if you're missing him
Journo: Which one
OGS: There's only one

SAF :cool:

Get In Scholesy

The thing is Mourinho was right about our dodgy defence (to be fair anyone of us could point that out) but Ole is proving that it’s better to play to our strengths than to cover or weaknesses.

Winning is obviously more important than not conceding...

Basically this.

Yes our defence is sub par. But trying to ammend that by setting up more players behind the ball would only invite pressure. Inviting pressure would then galvanize the other team and have some shit house championship level striker look like a superstar against us.

Play to your strengths, break their spirits with goals, not trying to outdo their tactical set up by trying to quell their strengths.

You can definitely try to stop the other teams strengths, but don't forget about yours.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Thought it was an average performance with a lot of sloppy play...but I enjoyed it anyway as we at least imposed ourselves on the game. 2-0 up and still pressing to win the balll back and swarming forwards whenever we did win it. When you see that you can forgive poor bits of play, selfish decision making, or players having of days.

I don't know, I just think that seeing us play not so well and still play with that approoach and attitude, actually makes me feel more positive than the Cardiff game. Ole's done more in two games from that point of viiew than the last three managers have in nearly 6 years. Mentality is so important in football and it's really refreshing to see a United team that doesn't look bogged down and actually wants to play football.

Easily the best Pogba has played for United in a long time for me. Certainly since his first season. The silly shooting and shuffling around when he could have passed it was still there, but it's much less annoying when he's also putting in a shift for the team and doing his job. Even when you take out the two goals, through balls, keeping possession, etc. he was making runs off the ball all the time, even willing to move into the wide positions to open space up for the rest of the team. He just needs to keep it up and even if the quality level isn't consistent no one will be complaining.

Suedesi

Say what you will, but we have to credit Mourinho here, he laid down the foundations. text
It's absolutely right - when we win the CL this year, or the next - Jose Mosquito should get an honorary winner's medal for laying the foundations. The fckn virus

Maxred

What so positive for me is the way we have scored quality team goals in the past two games. The players are playing with such beauty and imagination not seen for a long time. They make us funs to long for the next match which appears long as if we are in the International break.

Dante

Average bang
Finally finished rewatching the match.

We were scintillating going forward (with a bit of tiredness to be expected).

The issues in defence, imo, were:

1st chance: Lindelof loses a header on a cross. Pogba could have done better. Luckily, Kongolo misses.

2nd chance: Lindelof gets bulied on a cross. Depoitre misses the overhead kick.

3rd chance: Fred lets Billing run past him like he's not there.

4th chance: Dalot lets Mbenza run past him like he's not there.

5th chance: Brilliant freekick leading to a Depoitre chance. No blame there.

6th chance: Lindolof loses his man on a cross and Jorgenson scores.

Fred and Dalot both got substitued a few minutes after their mistakes. In Dalot's case, I think his hesitation was mainly because he was on a yellow. In Fred's case, it was because Wagner decided to put Pritchard on top of Fred to try and force mistakes. Ole obviously thought Herrera would be more secure.

Lindelof either needs to improve on crosses, or we need to bring somebody else into the first XI. He's a weak link defensively.

vivaronaldo

thought we weren't as sharp as Cardiff but winning the ball that high up the pitch makes a world of difference ....

players look happy again ....

The United

Maybe it is just me since I stopped paying attention to details for along time, I thought the way the team celebrated goals were a bit different than what I usually saw.

Looked like they were all relaxed, having fun and had sense of a bit unity.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 91% of 677 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 450 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Huddersfield win
  • Draw